BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Cadillac CT4 and CT5 Blackwing

02-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #89
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Yeah, people think their 3 series BMW is cnced from a block of solid aluminum, covered in goat gonad leather and inlaid with diamonds and rubies.
Appreciate 11
stein_325i25051.00
swanson733.00
jmack548.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
GERMAN M34176.50
TSM330i873.50
See5449.00
David701567.00
nicholasn261.00
JasonCSU699.00
      02-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #90
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Pretty sure the interior just plain sucks
Really? Please tell us about your awesome 3 series, excuse me, 4 series interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #91
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure the interior just plain sucks
Really? Please tell us about your awesome 3 series, excuse me, 4 series interior.
It's fucking awesome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #92
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
So like, were you waiting on that bc you realize that the interior actually does suck?
No, waiting because that's the standard BMW fanboy response. Some manufacturer builds a car with better performance than a BMW and... "Yeah, but the interior sucks."

Shows up in a thread like this every time...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25051.00
swanson733.00
Red Bread4462.00
David701567.00
nicholasn261.00
JasonCSU699.00
      02-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #93
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No, waiting because that's the standard BMW fanboy response. Some manufacturer builds a car with better performance than a BMW and... "Yeah, but the interior sucks."

I'd also add this one always shows up, "but its not as reliable"
swanson733.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #94
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So like, were you waiting on that bc you realize that the interior actually does suck?

Ok, so you are suggesting

A) these Cadillacs have interiors that are comparable to BMW M3/M4 in quality and style

Or

B) we should accept a subpar interior because the Caddy will be superior to the M in other ways.

C) no one should ever mention that pro's of bmw cars bc then they are fanboys

Just trying to understand your angle
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #95
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Imagine if BMW decided to make 660hp supercharged V8 rwd M5 with MT. It would be an instant collectible, and hailed as the best M5 since e39. Somehow Cadillac is the driver's car, and BMW is the luxury one with nice interior. What a world we live in
Appreciate 9
RM72870.00
stein_325i25051.00
TSM330i873.50
See5449.00
David701567.00
nicholasn261.00
JasonCSU699.00
      02-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #96
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If the Blackwings use the full aniline leather Cadillac uses in the Escalade, it's a level of quality that would confuse any BMW buyer used to that awful waxed leather. We haven't had a BMW since the F30, but that was a comically crappy interior.
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25051.00
swanson733.00
See5449.00
      02-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #97
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If the Blackwings use the full aniline leather Cadillac uses in the Escalade, it's a level of quality that would confuse any BMW buyer used to that awful waxed leather. We haven't had a BMW since the F30, but that was a comically crappy interior.
Looks like its an option.

I personally think the interior comments are over-blown. People are acting like its a 90's Kia/Hyundai. Will there maybe be a bit more plastic? Maybe. Is it a huge deal? No. If anything people should be happy they got rid of the infuriating CUE system, that was the last gen's worst feature.

Name:  leather.jpg
Views: 3169
Size:  379.4 KB
swanson733.00
GERMAN M34176.50
Red Bread4462.00
      02-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #98
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The interiors look more Buick than actual luxury car but still miles ahead of the outgoing models. Cadillac just can't compare to any German or even Japanese vehicle on interior. I'm not sure why anyone would even debate that.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #99
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I almost bought a CTS VSport. The V series cars are very nice driving vehicles now. I love the exterior looks. There are a few shortcuts on the interior with some plastic and GM parts bin stuff, which is really the only letdown. However, anyone considering buying these new, I’d wait for them to show up used. V series cars depreciate just as bad as other Cadillacs and Fiats.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #100
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
It's fucking awesome.
Really? It looks like the interior on my brother's old E90. Big ole huge rubberized airbag thing in the middle of the wheel, plastic bits on the wheel (looks like a giant bus-wheel from here), plastic trim at the vents, the switches to the left of the wheel, oh, did I mention that wheel? The plastic around the gear-shifter, left and forward of the little burnished aluminum bit. The plastic on the tunnel.

I mean really, if you think that's perfection, then the Cadillac will have easily bested it.
Attached Images

02-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A) these Cadillacs have interiors that are comparable to BMW M3/M4 in quality and style

Or

B) we should accept a subpar interior because the Caddy will be superior to the M in other ways.

It used to be that BMW interiors were sparse and to-the-point of assisting in the activity, should I dare say enhancing the "art" of driving. So my angle with any sports sedan is the interior should enhance the activity and art of driving. That means comfortable, supporting seats, good sightlines, simple and informative gauges, and ergonomic controls.

The previous gen ATS (only gen - LOL) arrived at the near introduction of the F30. I drove both cars extensively. The ATS was heads above the F30 in terms of being a (ultimate) driving machine. When I espoused the driving dynamics of the ATS on this forum 8 years ago, most of the feedback was (mimicking the auto mags), "Yeah, but the interior sucks". I didn't find the ATS interior any better nor any worse than the F30 for the purpose of driving the car very well. Of course, it was styled differently, used different materials, and the Cadillac CUE was a touch screen-based system when it is obvious a stationary mouse user interface is a much better solution for a moving vehicle. But I find any type of screen-based user interface pointless in an automobile. I like to drive and not scroll through my phone, even if it is stuck in the dashboard. The magazines even tried to convince readers the ATS windows were too small, even after they originally said from their years-earlier first assessments that the sightlines out of the car were good.

What was better than the F30 was the ATS chassis, brakes, steering, and dynamics. So if one is a Roundel Hound and doesn't really give a shit about driving dynamics and prefers driving an iPhone, then the BMW wins for you. If you care about driving dynamics, then an ATS was the winner. I'm sure the same is still the case with the current line up between BMW and Cadillac. But surely the interior of the Cadillac, without even physically experiencing it, "sucks".

Based on my idea for the function of the interior, the E30 was the best car interior I've experienced. Simple, attractive, driver oriented, and effective at interfacing with the chassis. "Form follows function"
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-04-2021 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Red Bread4462.00
David701567.00
      02-04-2021, 06:01 AM   #102
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yeah, people think their 3 series BMW is cnced from a block of solid aluminum, covered in goat gonad leather and inlaid with diamonds and rubies.
Sans the rubies and diamonds, my E86 Z4 is pretty much as described above.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #103
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I almost bought a CTS VSport. The V series cars are very nice driving vehicles now. I love the exterior looks. There are a few shortcuts on the interior with some plastic and GM parts bin stuff, which is really the only letdown. However, anyone considering buying these new, I'd wait for them to show up used. V series cars depreciate just as bad as other Cadillacs and Fiats.
I actually think they're holding value better. A quick look at Autotrader for Gen 3 CTS-V's (V8, not V-Sports) from 2016+ shows pretty high prices even with higher milage, they seem to be holding steady, and these cars were also less expensive than the M5 by a fair margin when released. They don't seem to drop as much as a typical E63 or M5.
GERMAN M34176.50
3798j11167.00
See5449.00
David701567.00
      02-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #104
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Or

It used to be that BMW interiors were sparse and to-the-point of assisting in the activity, should I dare say enhancing the "art" of driving. So my angle with any sports sedan is the interior should enhance the activity and art of driving. That means comfortable, supporting seats, good sightlines, simple and informative gauges, and ergonomic controls.

The previous gen ATS (only gen - LOL) arrived at the near introduction of the F30. I drove both cars extensively. The ATS was heads above the F30 in terms of being a (ultimate) driving machine. When I espoused the driving dynamics of the ATS on this forum 8 years ago, most of the feedback was (mimicking the auto mags), "Yeah, but the interior sucks". I didn't find the ATS interior any better nor any worse than the F30 for the purpose of driving the car very well. Of course, it was styled differently, used different materials, and the Cadillac CUE was a touch screen-based system when it is obvious a stationary mouse user interface is a much better solution for a moving vehicle. But I find any type of screen-based user interface pointless in an automobile. I like to drive and not scroll through my phone, even if it is stuck in the dashboard. The magazines even tried to convince readers the ATS windows were too small, even after they originally said from their years-earlier first assessments that the sightlines out of the car were good.

What was better than the F30 was the ATS chassis, brakes, steering, and dynamics. So if one is a Roundel Hound and doesn't really give a shit about driving dynamics and prefers driving an iPhone, then the BMW wins for you. If you care about driving dynamics, then an ATS was the winner. I'm sure the same is still the case with the current line up between BMW and Cadillac. But surely the interior of the Cadillac, without even physically experiencing it, "sucks".

Based on my idea for the function of the interior, the E30 was the best car interior I've experienced. Simple, attractive, driver oriented, and effective at interfacing with the chassis. "Form follows function"
I follow your logic. However, despite you assuming that I have no experience with cadillac nor with the ATS line, a buddy of mine bought that car, he was in his thirties, not old, I was in my twenties. I liked the exterior of the car, and the performance seemed great although I never drove it. I thought the interior was cool, unique, different. But the same perception as you I hated the VUE touchscreen, and so did he. This new blackwing has the same touchscreen in a package that just looks cheap, the UI looks dated, and that is before fingerprints are riddled all over it. Further, the manual transmission version (the bread and butter) forgoes the spinwheel navigation option ie you have to touch the screen. Further, the interior has those circlar shaped wiper and turn signal knobs, the same ugly and cheap design from chevy aveo's that you get on your vacation rental (when you are an up-and-coming). So for these reasons, the interior sucks. I will not withhold my opinion on an online opinion forum just bc it is the unpopular one to you and others. Cadillac will not be on my cross-shopping list until they fix their interiors. If you or someone else likes the Caddy interior (maybe you dont care about the things I care about). Great, buy it. And no, this doesn't mean I buy cars just for interior and don't care about performance. Last I checked, BMW still makes the best performing luxury car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #105
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I follow your logic. However, despite you assuming that I have no experience with cadillac nor with the ATS line, a buddy of mine bought that car, he was in his thirties, not old, I was in my twenties. I liked the exterior of the car, and the performance seemed great although I never drove it. I thought the interior was cool, unique, different. But the same perception as you I hated the VUE touchscreen, and so did he. This new blackwing has the same touchscreen in a package that just looks cheap, the UI looks dated, and that is before fingerprints are riddled all over it. Further, the manual transmission version (the bread and butter) forgoes the spinwheel navigation option ie you have to touch the screen. Further, the interior has those circlar shaped wiper and turn signal knobs, the same ugly and cheap design from chevy aveo's that you get on your vacation rental (when you are an up-and-coming). So for these reasons, the interior sucks. I will not withhold my opinion on an online opinion forum just bc it is the unpopular one to you and others. Cadillac will not be on my cross-shopping list until they fix their interiors. If you or someone else likes the Caddy interior (maybe you dont care about the things I care about). Great, buy it. And no, this doesn't mean I buy cars just for interior and don't care about performance. Last I checked, BMW still makes the best performing luxury car for the money.
Like I said, the E30 interior is the best layout I've come across. BMWs wiper control and cruise control stalks are the best in the business IMO. Why BMW abandoned the cruise stalk on the E46 I'll never understand. But each manufacturer has their own interior design theme. I have a GM product, the wiper and cruise controls are different, but still functional.

My Z4 has the extended leather option (I bought it used), which is nice as shit, but I've been in a few others without extended leather and found them good enough. The menu buttons on E85/86 totally suck regardless. I look for function for driving as my main criteria. Material finish isn't that important to me.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      02-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #106
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

First batch of 2022 Cadillac CT4-V, CT5-V Blackwings already sold out

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/03/...-run-sold-out/

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #107
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I actually think they're holding value better. A quick look at Autotrader for Gen 3 CTS-V's (V8, not V-Sports) from 2016+ shows pretty high prices even with higher milage, they seem to be holding steady, and these cars were also less expensive than the M5 by a fair margin when released. They don't seem to drop as much as a typical E63 or M5.
Interesting. Not that I will buy one now but maybe revisit the next time I decide to buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #108
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Quote:
I almost bought a CTS VSport. The V series cars are very nice driving vehicles now. I love the exterior looks. There are a few shortcuts on the interior with some plastic and GM parts bin stuff, which is really the only letdown. However, anyone considering buying these new, I'd wait for them to show up used. V series cars depreciate just as bad as other Cadillacs and Fiats.
Check out this 2012 CTS V wagon!

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/2243acbd

I'd say they're holding their value!
Even the higher mileage ones are still fetching prices in the low to mid 40's.

The cheapest 2016 + V I found within 500 miles of me was a 2016 going for 50k with 74,000 miles on the clock. The most expensive was a 2018 with 8,000 miles on the odometer for 96k.
      02-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #109
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I thought you would like this Used 2012 Cadillac CTS for $59,995 on Autotrader

I'd say they are holding there value!
The V-Wagons are definitely a future classic. A modern V8, RWD, Manual Wagon is pretty much a very rare breed of car. I've followed some over the years on BaT and other sites and they go for a lot of money. A 12k-mile example sold for $90k last year!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ts-v-wagon-26/
GERMAN M34176.50
      02-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #110
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I thought you would like this Used 2012 Cadillac CTS for $59,995 on Autotrader

I'd say they are holding there value!
The V-Wagons are definitely a future classic. A modern V8, RWD, Manual Wagon is pretty much a very rare breed of car. I've followed some over the years on BaT and other sites and they go for a lot of money. A 12k-mile example sold for $90k last year!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ts-v-wagon-26/
Wow, have always loved the V Wagons! Great looking vehicle with plenty of power.....and let's not forget 0-60 times between 3.8 to 4.1 seconds, especially since IT'S SO IMPORTANT!! :