BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2CS rear wheel hop

12-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M M4GTS M2CS M3CS '89 325iX

M2CS rear wheel hop

Hello all. I hope you are having a great holiday season.

I’ve been wanting to post this concern for a while but had not gotten to it.

Whenever I accelerate agressively, especially in 1st and 2nd gears, the rear wheels on my M2CS start bouncing up and down and the feel inside the cabin is somewhat upsetting.

When new, I didn’t love the ride height of the car and thus messed around with a couple of ride height lowering kits from KW and BMW Performance but then reverted back to stock suspension as the lowered ride height seemed a little too much.

Just in case you are wondering, the car is fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The rear pressure is set at 34PSI with warmed up tires.

I am unsure as to weather everyone experiences this issue and thus it is something normal or wether the suspension on my car is not functioning the way it should.

On other performance cars, I don't get wheel hop. All I get when I got to the gas pedal aggressively is wheel spin.

Stay safe!

Last edited by Tigeroujimo; 12-27-2023 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Super common across all weather, tires, suspensions, wear, etc.

The short answer is that many things can cause it, but you'll likely not experience it under all temps, all tires, all weather, all (pick your poison).

Owners have been chasing a fix for many years, and not all fixes work for every user, so it's a bit of a rabbit hole TBH.

There are things you can do, tests, ways you might be able to nail down when it happens more than not, what you might personally change, etc, but no human can tell you; do this and it'll stop. It's not that sort of thing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. While you're at it, chase the clicking from the front suspension too, you'll have a jolly old time chasing them both with fixes for the next year.

If you get wheel hop, take note of the surface, temperature, tires, wear, etc, and then try it with a different set of tires, temps, precip, etc.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      12-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeroujimo View Post

Whenever I accelerate agressively, especially in 1st and 2nd gears, the rear wheels on my M2CS start bouncing up and down and the feel inside the cabin is somewhat upsetting.

When new, I didn’t love the ride height of the car and thus messed around with a couple of ride height lowering kits from KW and BMW Performance but then reverted back to stock suspension as the lowered ride height seemed a little too much.

Just in case you are wondering, the car is fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The rear pressure is set at 34PSI with warmed up tires.

I am unsure as to weather everyone experiences this issue and thus it is something normal or wether the suspension on my car is not functioning the way it should.

On other performance cars, I don't get wheel hop. All I get when I got to the gas pedal aggressively is wheel spin.

Stay safe!
My lowered M235i developed wheel hop after I changed the tires and dropped it a bit. You could try running a bit less pressure in the tires, that should help. Just reduce 1 lb and try it. Rinse and repeat.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:

When new, I didn’t love...
See these threads...
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2068172
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1834869
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:

!
It's an issue across all the F8X cars, a lot more info in the F80/82 forum. The most common fix seems to be installing dual mounts at the rear of the diff, the sub-frame has provision for 2 but for whatever reason (I guess $) BMW just used 1 which apparently enables the diff to move under heavy load.
I got the bracket/dual mounts when getting seals replaced, now when breaking traction it's a lot smoother & no violent drivetrain noise.

There are several brands who do the bracket/mounts, I went with Powerflex & the purple bushings (2 rear & the 4 front), it did introduce a diff whine between 95-105kph which I'm OK with, if you regularly cruise at 100kph it would be tiresome. Another option is to add the bracket & 2nd rear mount but use an oem mount (making sure not to use the pre-2018 oil filled verson), I know someone who did this with no additional cabin noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 06:11 PM   #6
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep

Thank you all for your feedback. Having understood that it is something common on these cars, my concern is gone. I will look into the suggested threads to see how I can improve the handling of the car.

Best!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 06:29 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your feedback. Having understood that it is something common on these cars, my concern is gone. I will look into the suggested threads to see how I can improve the handling of the car.

Best!
Just make sure that if it starts to hop, let out of it immediately.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-27-2023, 09:57 PM   #8
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
It's an issue across all the F8X cars, a lot more info in the F80/82 forum. The most common fix seems to be installing dual mounts at the rear of the diff, the sub-frame has provision for 2 but for whatever reason (I guess $) BMW just used 1 which apparently enables the diff to move under heavy load.
I got the bracket/dual mounts when getting seals replaced, now when breaking traction it's a lot smoother & no violent drivetrain noise.

There are several brands who do the bracket/mounts, I went with Powerflex & the purple bushings (2 rear & the 4 front), it did introduce a diff whine between 95-105kph which I'm OK with, if you regularly cruise at 100kph it would be tiresome. Another option is to add the bracket & 2nd rear mount but use an oem mount (making sure not to use the pre-2018 oil filled verson), I know someone who did this with no additional cabin noise.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 03:23 AM   #9
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
For some this is a feature.

https://youtu.be/ektCelY0ZqM?si=Feti9JOcw2TkzW5I
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 03:44 AM   #10
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

The best option without noise is 2 OEM bmw polyurethane rear bushings with 2 point bracket, no need to change the front bushings.

In the case of the m2 cs only have to add 1 rear bushing, because the one that comes from the factory is the polyurethane version.

Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
chris7197334.00
      12-28-2023, 07:26 AM   #11
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I haven’t experienced wheel hop in the CS, but I guess you’re talking about launching it hard from a dig? 7,000 miles and I’ve pushed the car many times but I don’t think I’ve ever launched it 100% from a dead stop. Are you 6MT or DCT?

I’m on PSS and if anything the wheels spin almost silently if I mash the throttle from 30mph in 2nd. I don’t recommend that. The only time I almost got into trouble was a move like that when I couldn’t hear the wheel spin and when the boost kicked in the back end snapped pretty violently even though I was pointed straight. Luckily, I corrected, but it could have ended badly.

I took my E46 M3 to the drag strip back in the day, and it had crazy wheel hop through 1st, maybe even a little bit in 2nd.

Bottom line is these cars are not built for drag racing, even though they run high 11s/low 12s.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

My M2C doesn't wheel hop, it just spins. I think lowering and tire choice can exacerbate the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 08:52 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I haven’t experienced wheel hop in the CS, but I guess you’re talking about launching it hard from a dig?
It occurs with roll-on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My M2C doesn't wheel hop, it just spins. I think lowering and tire choice can exacerbate the issue.
Lowering didn't change my wheel hop, but tire choice certainly had an effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 02:42 PM   #14
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
The best option without noise is 2 OEM bmw polyurethane rear bushings with 2 point bracket, no need to change the front bushings.

In the case of the m2 cs only have to add 1 rear bushing, because the one that comes from the factory is the polyurethane version.
On the M2CS, in addition to the bushing, did you also have to add the 2 point bracket or does the car come with it installed from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #15
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
On the M2CS, in addition to the bushing, did you also have to add the 2 point bracket or does the car come with it installed from the factory?
Yes, I made the 2-point bracket myself.

Last edited by Track/S; 12-28-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #16
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow... Do you know if the 2 point bracket is sold by BMW or other 3rd party vendors?

How about you?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 05:06 PM   #17
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow... Do you know if the 2 point bracket is sold by BMW or other 3rd party vendors?

How about you?
Bmw does not have it, not even in the M2 CSR / M4 GT4.

I have the lift version for sale, but I would have no problem manufacturing oem height version.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-28-2023, 05:09 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
That's because you're a machining master!
Appreciate 1
Track/S1363.50
      12-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
That's because you're a machining master!
Yeah, all his stuff is beautifully done.
Appreciate 3
Track/S1363.50
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #20
Telluride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I haven’t experienced wheel hop in the CS, but I guess you’re talking about launching it hard from a dig? 7,000 miles and I’ve pushed the car many times but I don’t think I’ve ever launched it 100% from a dead stop. Are you 6MT or DCT?

I’m on PSS and if anything the wheels spin almost silently if I mash the throttle from 30mph in 2nd. I don’t recommend that. The only time I almost got into trouble was a move like that when I couldn’t hear the wheel spin and when the boost kicked in the back end snapped pretty violently even though I was pointed straight. Luckily, I corrected, but it could have ended badly.

I took my E46 M3 to the drag strip back in the day, and it had crazy wheel hop through 1st, maybe even a little bit in 2nd.

Bottom line is these cars are not built for drag racing, even though they run high 11s/low 12s.
Mine was never from dropping the clutch and treating like a drag car. Rather, it tends to happen when rolling along in 2nd gear and deciding to get on it. I have found it mostly when outside temperature is cold i.e., in the spring or fall. Likely my tires are getting some bite but not quite enough... and hence the ensuing harsh action shuttering thru drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 08:34 AM   #21
Tigeroujimo
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Bmw does not have it, not even in the M2 CSR / M4 GT4.

I have the lift version for sale, but I would have no problem manufacturing oem height version.
So what exactly do you mean by “lift version” and what would the difference be versus the “OEM height” version?

I run OEM suspension on my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:58 PM   #22
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
So what exactly do you mean by “lift version” and what would the difference be versus the “OEM height” version?

I run OEM suspension on my car.
My version is for lowered cars, for stock suspension you need oem version.
Appreciate 0