BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > PSS4S or PSS5S or Cup 2 for dailly?

08-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #1
fhr_6189
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

PSS4S or PSS5S or Cup 2 for dailly?

I'm debating if I should spend $1800 of new tires while my car still only 10K miles on cup 2. All of my performance cars have PSS4S since and i just love how quiet and they're a very good tires.

Or should i wait for PSS5S?

Also should i get a bigger tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhr_6189 View Post
I'm debating if I should spend $1800 of new tires while my car still only 10K miles on cup 2. All of my performance cars have PSS4S since and i just love how quiet and they're a very good tires.

Or should i wait for PSS5S?

Also should i get a bigger tires?
1. 10K miles is a LOT for Cup2's, which means you have the wrong tires for your car. The PSC240 is a track tire, and literally nothing more.

2. PSS5S is a LONG way out in terms of availability, so forget it entirely for at least a year, probably 2.

3. The size, make, and model of tire depends entirely on your goals, and you haven't stated those.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #3
fhr_6189
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
1. 10K miles is a LOT for Cup2's, which means you have the wrong tires for your car. The PSC240 is a track tire, and literally nothing more.

2. PSS5S is a LONG way out in terms of availability, so forget it entirely for at least a year, probably 2.

3. The size, make, and model of tire depends entirely on your goals, and you haven't stated those.
M2CS.
Dailly driving in California. Probable should switch to PSS4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:04 AM   #4
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
The star spec Cup 2 connect is not really a track tyre. More an ultra high performance. I have over 11000km on mine and they are still pretty great. Remember this was the development tyre for the car. If you live in a colder climate then they probably aren’t ideal. But I don’t live in a colder climate. The non star spec 4S are a bit of a squishy comfort oriented tyre but still very capable. They will take an edge off the fantastic steering though. Bridgestone Potenza Sport would be my 2nd choice as they are more fun than 4S and superb in the rain.

I think medphysdave had over 10000 miles on his Cup 2 Connect?
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4033.00
gnx759.50
      08-15-2023, 07:04 AM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhr_6189 View Post
M2CS.
Dailly driving in California. Probable should switch to PSS4S.
If you're not driving in rain or colder temps then it's really up to you. How quiet, comfortable and long-lasting do you want your tire? I think you could do with any of the super sticky 200tw tires, but they aren't going to give you the benefits of the 300tw tires. The V601 is a 280tw tire, and provides a bit more grip, but less longevity because it's 9/32 instead of 9.5/32 right out of the gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
The star spec Cup 2 connect is not really a track tyre. More an ultra high performance.
I would normally let this pass, but this is a BMW board with questions about tires every other day. You are absolutely incorrect. The PSC240 is a TRACK TIRE, and only given the 240tw instead of 200 because they wanted it to last longer, which they accomplished. The closest thing to it, the V601, is miles away.

Quote:
I have over 11000km on mine and they are still pretty great.
This is more about how you drive than the tire. I can kill a set of PSC240's in an afternoon.

Quote:
Remember this was the development tyre for the car.
No, it wasn't, the PSS was. The PSC240 was added to increase its numbers over the Comp for SALES purposes. All F87 cars were developed with the PSS in mind because of BMW's deal with Michelin.

Quote:
Then, like you, he isn't using the tire as intended, which is fine, but it means that he, and everyone else like him, would have benefitted from having a true street tire like the PS4S. It's not going to be as sharp, of course, but vastly quieter, more comfortable, less tramlining, and much longer lasting.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-15-2023, 07:16 AM   #6
fhr_6189
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you're not driving in rain or colder temps then it's really up to you. How quiet, comfortable and long-lasting do you want your tire? I think you could do with any of the super sticky 200tw tires, but they aren't going to give you the benefits of the 300tw tires. The V601 is a 280tw tire, and provides a bit more grip, but less longevity because it's 9/32 instead of 9.5/32 right out of the gate.

I would normally let this pass, but this is a BMW board with questions about tires every other day. You are absolutely incorrect. The PSC240 is a TRACK TIRE, and only given the 240tw instead of 200 because they wanted it to last longer, which they accomplished. The closest thing to it, the V601, is miles away.

This is more about how you drive than the tire. I can kill a set of PSC240's in an afternoon.

No, it wasn't, the PSS was. The PSC240 was added to increase its numbers over the Comp for SALES purposes. All F87 cars were developed with the PSS in mind because of BMW's deal with Michelin.

Then, like you, he isn't using the tire as intended, which is fine, but it means that he, and everyone else like him, would have benefitted from having a true street tire like the PS4S. It's not going to be as sharp, of course, but vastly quieter, more comfortable, less tramlining, and much longer lasting.
THank you for the reply. This is the information i was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #7
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
I just swapped from the OEM Cup 2's to 1 size bigger (255/275) PS4S's and I couldn't be happier. Road noise is notably reduced, overall comfort is improved, and the amount of rocks being thrown up into the wheel wells and along the side of the car has significantly declined.

That said, I'll likely never visit a track and do plan on driving the car through the cold/dry conditions over the Winter. So the PS4S fits my driving situation perfectly. I can't speak to the PS5S because they aren't yet available and I have no experience with them.
///MPhatic13862.50
CarJunkie2616.50
      08-15-2023, 11:57 AM   #8
fhr_6189
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
I just swapped from the OEM Cup 2's to 1 size bigger (255/275) PS4S's and I couldn't be happier. Road noise is notably reduced, overall comfort is improved, and the amount of rocks being thrown up into the wheel wells and along the side of the car has significantly declined.

That said, I'll likely never visit a track and do plan on driving the car through the cold/dry conditions over the Winter. So the PS4S fits my driving situation perfectly. I can't speak to the PS5S because they aren't yet available and I have no experience with them.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a big fan of the PSS4S, and works for all of my other cars.

I thought about getting 1 size bigger too.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 02:07 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
The star spec Cup 2 connect is not really a track tyre. More an ultra high performance. I have over 11000km on mine and they are still pretty great. Remember this was the development tyre for the car. If you live in a colder climate then they probably aren’t ideal. But I don’t live in a colder climate. The non star spec 4S are a bit of a squishy comfort oriented tyre but still very capable. They will take an edge off the fantastic steering though. Bridgestone Potenza Sport would be my 2nd choice as they are more fun than 4S and superb in the rain.

I got 17k miles and included a track day on them. I think keeping the pressure close to their ideal pressure in all seasons for your commute is the reason for excellent wear. As an example. Keeping them at 36 to 37psi cold in the winter if your commute won't get the temps up enough to increase the pressure during your commute.

I like the way these tires feel. It's why I keep them on 4 seasons. A ps4s is going to be better in the colder temps no doubt. Ideally you have two sets of wheels/tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #10
Champ of America
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, Jaguar F Pace SVR

Another thing to keep in mind is that Cup 2 have pretty shit traction before they get up to temperature, and that PS4S will actually feel like a better performing tire under a lot of circumstances. Shorter drives, lower temperatures (not winter necessarily, but a cold spring morning, etc.), will have you sliding around a bunch, or traction control kicking in with Cup 2, whereas the PS4S will be good to go as soon as you leave the garage in terms of reliable handling characteristics.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-15-2023, 04:02 PM   #11
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ of America View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that Cup 2 have pretty shit traction before they get up to temperature, and that PS4S will actually feel like a better performing tire under a lot of circumstances. Shorter drives, lower temperatures (not winter necessarily, but a cold spring morning, etc.), will have you sliding around a bunch, or traction control kicking in with Cup 2, whereas the PS4S will be good to go as soon as you leave the garage in terms of reliable handling characteristics.
Yep, I think people need to be honest with themselves and their use case. How careful/mindful do you like to be about your tires in various weather conditions. If your not one to think about it I'd have a hard time recommending the cup2 outside of temps lower than 70F. If your someone that thinks about that stuff all the time, then you'll really enjoy the cup2 as a daily tire. I drive them 4 seasons with temps down to freeZing, but I do have a 3rd car I can take if things seem dicey. If the ps5s closes the gap a little I might go for those since I've got another set of wheels inbound for track tires.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 05:25 PM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I just swapped from the OEM Cup 2's to 1 size bigger (255/275) PS4S's and I couldn't be happier.
Pix or it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I like the way these tires feel. It's why I keep them on 4 seasons.
If you tracked your car more you'd notice the micro-sipes from cold weather making the tire more and more squirmy with age, but since you don't, and don't seem to have an issue with their terrible cold and wet performance, then I'd say carry on. You're in a rare circumstance though, PSC2 in wet and cold is normally a danger to a persons life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ of America View Post
Perfectly stated.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2023, 11:02 PM   #13
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I could say your reply was misinformed rubbish on many levels. But I won’t as I am polite. Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:06 AM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I could say your reply was misinformed rubbish on many levels. But I won’t as I am polite. Carry on.
I may be a lot of things, but misinformed about tires isn't among them (pick politics, I'm definitely misinformed there).
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 04:04 PM   #15
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

This is exactly what I run for street tires on my 1M and I couldn’t be happier. I will do the same when the OEM PSS need replacement.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 11:15 AM   #16
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
I daily the cup 2s (except for winter obviously) and they're bad in rain storms, especially sketchy if there's standing water. When they're warm though, the grip is immense. I can get them warmed up just fine as long as the weather is decent, 60-70s and up with sunlight. I can accept the trade-offs because I change my driving behavior in suboptimal conditions. If there's heavy ongoing rain then I wouldn't take the car out unless it was an emergency. With all things considered, I might switch to ps4s when I upgrade the size next
Appreciate 2
m2ss1790.00
      08-24-2023, 11:41 AM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It would be great if they firm up the sidewall of the ps5s to help mimick the turn in of the cup 2 connect, but keep the civil weather characteristics of the ps4s. If that happens I'll most certainly make the switch now that I'll have a dedicated track/summer tire/wheel combo for spirited trips.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:00 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
It would be great if they firm up the sidewall of the ps5s to help mimick the turn in of the cup 2 connect, but keep the civil weather characteristics of the ps4s. If that happens I'll most certainly make the switch now that I'll have a dedicated track/summer tire/wheel combo for spirited trips.
I suspect it has less to do with the sidewall stiffness than it does with the block design. If it were just stiffness you could add more pressure and fix the issue, and you can't.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 02:27 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I hate to agree with Davil (), but I would say this Cup 240 Star was definitely developed for this car. It was on prototypes and carries BMW * designation and is the only 245/265 Cup 2 Star application.

Overall I agree with you though that this is a track tire and it's not good enough in rain to be worth using on the street.

Last edited by chris719; 08-24-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 09:31 PM   #20
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I hate to agree with Davil (), but I would say this Cup 240 Star was definitely developed for this car. It was on prototypes and carries BMW * designation and is the only 245/265 Cup 2 Star application.
That and some articles about it. Apparently according to that wise poster no chassis development was done. They just slapped some tyres on to get better times.

It’s not a track tyre. It’s a warm climate UHP tyre. I really like how it feels. I never drive fast in the rain anyway. If you are sensible it’s a non issue. I even drove it through torrential rain with standing water (not by design) and it was ok as I drove to the conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 10:44 PM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That and some articles about it. Apparently according to that wise poster no chassis development was done. They just slapped some tyres on to get better times.

It’s not a track tyre. It’s a warm climate UHP tyre. I really like how it feels. I never drive fast in the rain anyway. If you are sensible it’s a non issue. I even drove it through torrential rain with standing water (not by design) and it was ok as I drove to the conditions.
I agree with this 100%
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      08-25-2023, 08:39 AM   #22
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Any tire that carries the Star Spec from the factory was developed specifically for that car. I'm saying the F87 was engineered to use the Pilot Super Sport, which it still comes with on the CS if you don't get the Cup240 option. Beyond that the Cup240 was developed before the CS, so it's only the Star Spec that was created for the car...to generate numbers...for sales.

Quote:
I'll let you argue with the manufacturer over that point, as you can clearly see that road use was their primary objective in their marketing...

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tir...-cup-2-connect
Attached Images

Appreciate 0