BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Parking habits of some people

09-21-2022, 02:07 PM   #1
Macphisto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2

Parking habits of some people

I was in Lake Arrowhead, CA this past weekend and parked in my normal end spot, away from everybody. I come back 30 minutes later and this truck parks right next to me when there are tons of spots available...?

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Pure insanity, but I suspect if you showed that photo to most people that aren't car nuts they’d wouldn’t see anything amiss.

100% chance that guy sits in the left lane impeding the flow of traffic just as oblivious as he is here.
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2022, 04:13 PM   #3
iRasF87
Private
Rep
Drives: MG_'17Ⓜ2

It could mean it's exactly what they wanted to do_ maybe to provoke/irritate.
But, you could also look at it as protection from any other vehicle (who might not be as courteous to your *******
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
With all the spots I get it, but…

You could have maybe parked further to the left

And to be honest the truck is right smack in the middle of that spot
      09-21-2022, 08:57 PM   #5
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Kinda funny, but I admit I'd be annoyed too.

Also, only park in spots that expose you to the passenger side of the vehicle next to you. There is not always a passenger exiting the car next to you. But there is always a driver exiting that can ding your door if you park otherwise.

This concludes todays public service parking message.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-22-2022, 12:11 AM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post

Also, only park in spots that expose you to the passenger side of the vehicle next to you. There is not always a passenger exiting the car next to you. But there is always a driver exiting that can ding your door if you park otherwise.

Great parking tip

09-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #7
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

Looking at the picture, if he's going to be there a few hours is he just taking advantage of the shade?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

A few years ago (back when I still used to park my car out in the wild) I noticed that many more times than not, the car parked next to me was nice and clean. It wasn't always a sports car, but it was nice. I think the owners might think "hey, I'm just like you and don't want an idiot parking next to me, so we will park together", almost like a friend would. If it were just you two guys going out, you'd park right next to each other, even if the lot was empty like this one, and you'd be fine with it. But for some reason when a complete stranger does it you're like, WTF is wrong with you?

Whatever the reason, I feel like you are perfectly parked, and the truck should have parked elsewhere.

Myself, I would have chosen the spot all the way in the back, not in the shade, I don't do tree sap.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16543.50
jefe2000739.50
      09-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:

Definitely something to consider! However, passengers can also be a little careless and not familiar with how quickly a car's door swings open. Take the M2, it seems to have a door that swings out rather swiftly, so unfamiliar passengers may swing it open in an uncontrolled manner.

One thing is for sure, don't park downstream of anyone or anything if you are parking on a slope. That's just a recipe for doors or rogue shopping carts to slam into your car.

Unfortunately there are so many things to consider. In a previous car, I had parked in a "safe" spot next to a curb only to have a landscaper come and fling a stone and crack my windwhield. It's a dangerous world out there, and anything can happen.
      09-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #10
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Quote:

Indeed! This is my strategy every time I park.

As far as the pic above, I’d say the guy did the OP a solid by protecting his flank.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #11
Sculder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

If you don't immediately assume malice or stupidity, maybe it's just a like-minded vehicle owner who is extremely careful about door dings. Who better to park next to you?

Did this vehicle actually inflict any damage to your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #12
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
I was in Lake Arrowhead, CA this past weekend and parked in my normal end spot, away from everybody. I come back 30 minutes later and this truck parks right next to me when there are tons of spots available...?

Happens to me quite often!! It's just crazy… I think many people see this car and are so fascinated by what it is that they park close just to get a better look of it!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:40 PM   #13
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculder View Post
If you don't immediately assume malice or stupidity, maybe it's just a like-minded vehicle owner who is extremely careful about door dings. Who better to park next to you?

Did this vehicle actually inflict any damage to your car?
This is so open minded your brain may have spilled out sir.

Anyone “like-minded” would give another car plenty of space in an entirely open parking lot. This is no different than standing 3 inches from someone in an otherwise empty elevator. If intentional it’s psycho behavior.

Who better to park next to? How about no one, in any of the other 40 spots that are empty?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #14
ddnmkun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, G05

To be fair the truck maybe trying to chase the shades just like you did
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-25-2022, 04:37 AM   #15
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

May I suggest: 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      09-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
Quote:

Definitely something to consider! However, passengers can also be a little careless and not familiar with how quickly a car's door swings open. Take the M2, it seems to have a door that swings out rather swiftly, so unfamiliar passengers may swing it open in an uncontrolled manner.

One thing is for sure, don't park downstream of anyone or anything if you are parking on a slope. That's just a recipe for doors or rogue shopping carts to slam into your car.

Unfortunately there are so many things to consider. In a previous car, I had parked in a "safe" spot next to a curb only to have a landscaper come and fling a stone and crack my windwhield. It's a dangerous world out there, and anything can happen.
Strangers? Landscapers or Full size truck doors?!? I'm not concerned about, it's much closer to me, all 5'1" of her

My wife gives me chills how fast she pulls in

"Improvise, adapt, overcome" that cone saved our bumpers kissing so many times…

like another poster said, nice cars like to park to nice cars, maybe truck owner felt you would be careful not to mess up his door?!? plan B is open area that gets busy then Miss/MR F head parks near swapping paint
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-27-2022, 08:12 PM   #17
BEAM.2
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 baby!

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
2017 M2  [0.00]
I feel you OP, it's pretty creepy. I always think people try to park as close as possible to where they're going but I've changed my mind on that:

Recently my dad & I attended a networking event. He drove his beastly 2020 Defender cause he hates the ride in my M2. The same as this, in the parking lot of 50 empty spaces, he parked next to one of the two cars in the car park. Granted, we were close to the entrance but also would have been so in 10 other empty spots.

We were 15 minutes in when he realized he forgot his business cards and asked me to fetch them from his car. Wouldn't you know it...while I'm leaning into the centre console to fetch the cards, a gust of wind takes his drivers door and slams it into the car beside him, denting their door and scraping the paint off the wing mirror.

So now that I'm stupidly $700 out of pocket, the lesson is that if there are oodles of empty spaces don't park next to someone just to save a couple of steps!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 04:38 PM   #18
Sculder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post

Anyone “like-minded” would give another car plenty of space in an entirely open parking lot. This is no different than standing 3 inches from someone in an otherwise empty elevator. If intentional it’s psycho behavior.

Who better to park next to? How about no one, in any of the other 40 spots that are empty?
Parking in a public parking space — and perfectly within the lines, at that — is not "pure insanity" or "psycho behavior." This person was most likely just trying to park in the shade.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-28-2022, 08:07 PM   #19
tx_M2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

That person parked there bc they are a dick.

Short story real quick. Wife wanted to go out to eat. She says who's car we taken? I said we are taking your civic. We get a seat next to the window. A family walks out to their car opens car door.....wack.....I say look at that. Nobody even cared. Got in the car and drove off. 1 minute later a car pulls in to that same spot. Car door opens......bam....hits the exact same car. Nobody even looked at what they did. Walked into the restaurant like nothing happened.

Bottom line is they are plain old stupid or are being a dick.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #20
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Parking in a public parking space — and perfectly within the lines, at that — is not "pure insanity" or "psycho behavior." This person was most likely just trying to park in the shade.
You posted this from your phone while impeding traffic in the left lane didn’t you.

This is a litmus test and you’re uhh… not doing great with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #21
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post

Like sheep! You need to get as close to that curb on the driver's side as possible to give wide opening on other side. Always try make it so that they can't possible ding you. You can't help what they are going to do, but you can try to mitigate!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      09-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #22
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post

Anyone "like-minded" would give another car plenty of space in an entirely open parking lot. This is no different than standing 3 inches from someone in an otherwise empty elevator. If intentional it's psycho behavior.

Parking in a public parking space — and perfectly within the lines, at that — is not "pure insanity" or "psycho behavior."

This person was most likely just trying to park in the shade.
‼️