BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Rev limiter question

09-08-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
ruffls
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Rev limiter question

Maybe a stupid question but I've never owned a modern 6MT BMW;
If you floor the gas, lets say in first or second gear and don't shift but let the car hit the redline, will it bounce off the rev limiter? or what exactly happens? I know that it will cut fuel if the engine rpms get too high but are you able to just keep wot for a few seconds while doing a burnout?
I've pretty much babied my M2 for the first few months and wanted to get some insight before going and blowing up my engine
any replies are appreciated !
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffls View Post
If you floor the gas, lets say in first or second gear and don't shift but let the car hit the redline, will it bounce off the rev limiter? or what exactly happens? I know that it will cut fuel if the engine rpms get too high but are you able to just keep wot for a few seconds while doing a burnout?
I've pretty much babied my M2 for the first few months and wanted to get some insight before going and blowing up my engine
That’s pretty much how it works, though I would personally not do that as it can be hard on the drivetrain. Also, with the fuel.timing cut there is a loss of power so not optimal anyway.

Note that the rev limiter will not save you from an over-rev from a bad downshift.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

RIP rod bearings. We hardly knew ye.
Appreciate 1
f87kevin123.50
      09-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #4
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Everyone that says it damages your car is wrong. That's how it used to work. Now everything is in the computer. The rev limiter will bounce and fuel won't go to the engine. It's fine.
      09-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Yeah bro. Banging limiter while doing burnouts is fine. Your car actually loves it. Little known fact: sick rolling burnouts are a part of your vehicles 1500 mile service visit at BMW.

Everything is in the computer. It’s fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 01:55 PM   #6
lnsaneM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like you stole it

Try it and let us know, but I must add if you even learn some basic drifting, you'll find out that you don't even go full wot all the time anyway
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:33 PM   #7
JLS_397K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' BMW M5+16'M4 GTS - M2 SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffls View Post
As most have mentioned, it wont do anything than modulate the engine performance to maintain redline… it wont bounce like older carburetor car or some anti lag feature… it just sits there. Perfectly.

The only down side, it will also make you feel stupid once the tires gain traction and cars motion catches up with the speed of the tires…You will feel like your just redlining while at a constant speed. So if you are going to burn out, drift, launch, race… follow up with something other than rolling at pegged redline.
Appreciate 0