BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Best child booster seats for M2?

07-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Best child booster seats for M2?

Hi guys,

I've searched around and seen some good discussion on if the M2 is practical enough to take a couple of child seats. I am one of the crazy ones who carts around two kids in it for drop off and pick up, so I've got a rear facing on the passenger side (for a 8mo old) and a front facing on the driver side (4yr old). It's not a 'convenient' set up but hey I get to keep my dream car so it's worth it.

So...to the question... My 4yr old is now too tall for her front facing child seat and needs an actual booster seat... question is, has anyone got any recommendations on the best model to use with the M2? I'm looking for something low profile that's going to give her the most legroom, fit the rake of the seat, and hopefully also look halfway decent in the back too.

Here's some options I've seen, for anyone interested:

Britax Frontier - pretty fat and ugly looking thing but a good brand which we've used before.

Peg Perego Viaggio Flex I have been using the Peg Perego child seat for both rear facing and front facing for my kids in the M2 and it's been great.

Diono Radian Looks like another good option.

Any other dads/mums out there who've bought a booster seat for their M2?

Please do share, thank you!

Last edited by dcmac; 07-09-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      07-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, BMW do some?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=03_3010

Although they appear to be for the first 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Bugaboo are reassuringly expensive, then there's Recaro...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Don't remember why (other than I would have shopped thoroughly), but I bought this one for the backseat of my 4-series coupe and have it in my X3 now. Plan to buy another for my M2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHVR7ZI
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

We used the peg perego for years. Great it uses the M2 belts. As they grow you can remove the back and just use the booster and stock seatbelt shoulder location

I’m picturing the 4 yo trying to get out of the car
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
We used the peg perego for years. Great it uses the M2 belts. As they grow you can remove the back and just use the booster and stock seatbelt shoulder location

I’m picturing the 4 yo trying to get out of the car
Thanks!

She actually does a great job getting in and out! The 8mo old needs a little more help
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I used the MiFold booster seats for both of my kids and they loved them. It is a tiny seat which brings the seat belt lower, and the kids feel like they are just sitting in the actual back seat of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #8
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I was thinking of the flex but went with the peg perego viaggio shuttle instead but my daughter is older. Flex is nice b/c it gives them a place to rest their head
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

I noticed some of the choices listed above are combination seats that will cover toddler through booster. We had one of those, and I liked it while my daughter still fit in the chest harness belts (feel like it's safer). However, once she outgrew those and transitioned to the vehicle's shoulder belt, all the extra bulk and claptrap on the seat became noticeable. That's when we switched to a pure booster and the design is so much cleaner and compact. I'd say that if this is for a kid who is squarely in booster territory, look for a straight booster and look for one that has a clean design with minimal parts.

Also -- and this is important for a coupe -- look for a design that will allow the child to buckle and unbuckle themselves without assistance. That will mean having a good seat belt loop in the corner to pass the vehicle belt through smoothly without resistance, tangling, folding over, etc. And make sure the kid can reach the vehicle's belt receiver so they can click in easily and unclick to get out. I bought an extender for my X3 because the receivers are recessed down into the seat and a pain for kids (and even adults) to reach to click in. The extender clicks into the X3's belt receiver and then has a duplicate receiver about 4" higher. That puts the slot and button up closer to the booster seat height and makes it easy for my daughter to do everything herself.

In a coupe, allowing the child to do everything will be a big help, otherwise you'll be busting a gut to get back there. I still check things over visually, and can reach back if needed, but not having to get back there every time is a major help.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      07-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #10
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I noticed some of the choices listed above are combination seats that will cover toddler through booster. We had one of those, and I liked it while my daughter still fit in the chest harness belts (feel like it's safer). However, once she outgrew those and transitioned to the vehicle's shoulder belt, all the extra bulk and claptrap on the seat became noticeable. That's when we switched to a pure booster and the design is so much cleaner and compact. I'd say that if this is for a kid who is squarely in booster territory, look for a straight booster and look for one that has a clean design with minimal parts.

Also -- and this is important for a coupe -- look for a design that will allow the child to buckle and unbuckle themselves without assistance. That will mean having a good seat belt loop in the corner to pass the vehicle belt through smoothly without resistance, tangling, folding over, etc. And make sure the kid can reach the vehicle's belt receiver so they can click in easily and unclick to get out. I bought an extender for my X3 because the receivers are recessed down into the seat and a pain for kids (and even adults) to reach to click in. The extender clicks into the X3's belt receiver and then has a duplicate receiver about 4" higher. That puts the slot and button up closer to the booster seat height and makes it easy for my daughter to do everything herself.

In a coupe, allowing the child to do everything will be a big help, otherwise you'll be busting a gut to get back there. I still check things over visually, and can reach back if needed, but not having to get back there every time is a major help.
That extender, never knew such a thing existed. Genius!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #11
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

For a 4 year old i'd keep them harnessed and wouldn't move to a booster that relies solely on the vehicle's belt. Some of this would depend on height/weight though.

I just did the same research and ordered the Viaggio Flex which hasn't arrived yet. I can likely take photos over the next few days if you're interested to see how it fits in the M2. We've also got a Clek Oobr, but I think that would be too big/bulky.

Check the Rennlist Porsche forums, that's where I searched to figure out which seats would fit well. If it fits in the back of a 911, an M2 should be no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
For a 4 year old i'd keep them harnessed and wouldn't move to a booster that relies solely on the vehicle's belt. Some of this would depend on height/weight though.

I just did the same research and ordered the Viaggio Flex which hasn't arrived yet. I can likely take photos over the next few days if you're interested to see how it fits in the M2. We've also got a Clek Oobr, but I think that would be too big/bulky.

Check the Rennlist Porsche forums, that's where I searched to figure out which seats would fit well. If it fits in the back of a 911, an M2 should be no problem.
I wanted the Flex but the wife wanted the Britax because it uses the 5pt harness and can convert to belt once my 4yo is bigger. She also thought it looked like it had more rigid side support.

I'm sure you guys can all figure out which one I ended up buying..

Will let everyone know how it fits once I get it in there - it just arrived today in a huge box.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I also would encourage researching latest gov testing a recommendations for what ages/size and car seat formats. I try to follow latest guides to keep kids rear facing as long as possible, then in 5-point harness as long as possible or at least 7.

Now my kids 7 and 8, I have them in Chicco high-back boosters. Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt Positioning Booster Car Seat - Atmosphere https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYJF5NU..._es1jDb4NR0VCS

Before that they were in Recaro High Back with 5-point harness (no long available) but would also recommend a comparable from Britax which also fits.
Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat - 2 Layer Impact Protection - 25 to 120 Pounds, Vibe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTXUO2S..._cz1jDb42N0VME
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #14
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Clek Oobr.

Am going to get one soon for our 4 year old which will go in the 1M.

Have a Diono R100. Kind of sick of it have had it since he was 1. Good seat but not all that cushioned. Before that we had a Cybex Aton rear facing for his first 11 months. Great infant carrier. Our kid is tall and has always outgrown his stuff. The Clek is by far one of the safest and best looking booster seats out there.

And yes our kid has exclusively been raised riding in the 1M. It's our only car.
Attached Images

07-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post

Nah. Raising a kid in a coupe is easy. Ours is turning 4 now we've never had a problem or difficulty getting him in or out.
      07-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Nah. Raising a kid in a coupe is easy. Ours is turning 4 now we've never had a problem or difficulty getting him in or out.
Maybe you just haven't experienced the ease of other vehicles. Way easier when we travel in my X3 with back doors. Even easier in my wife's Honda Pilot with gigantic back doors. Getting my daughter in and out of my 4-series coupe's backseat was like a game of twister in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:45 AM   #17
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Clek is a bit chunky but a great seat. We had one in our last vehicle, just replaced it with the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Flex which has lots of adjustability, isn't as bulky as the Clek, and folds neatly if you need to stow it. Will give my thoughts on the Peg after a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #18
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick review on the Britax -

1. Feels very sturdy and safe particularly down in the base of the seat area with really solid side support - this is a main reason why my wife wanted it over the Peg.. seems to offer better structural support. My daughter is super comfy in the seat and it’s a breeze to click into.

2. Unfortunately the rear LATCH belt design doesn’t tighten all that great to the M2’s anchor points. I think it’s due to it being a “one piece” belt design that flows through the back of the seat and only tightens on one side, rather than independently tightening LATCH belts on each side like the outgoing Peg Perego child seat it’s replacing. This is proving a bit of an issue, it just doesn’t seem to tighten snugly in there.

3. Top tether is also a bit cumbersome to tighten and is proving a PITA to get right.

All up the jury is out... it doesn’t want to fit snug enough and I might return it and try something g else.

Biggest issue is I think this may be the only booster seat that actually uses a 5pt harness which you can then convert to a normal shoulder belt setup once your kid is big/heavy enough.. that feature is a bit of a non negotiable for us, so I will have to go over the other models again and see if they also do 5pt...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:25 AM   #19
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Quick review on the Britax -

1. Feels very sturdy and safe particularly down in the base of the seat area with really solid side support - this is a main reason why my wife wanted it over the Peg.. seems to offer better structural support. My daughter is super comfy in the seat and it’s a breeze to click into.

2. Unfortunately the rear LATCH belt design doesn’t tighten all that great to the M2’s anchor points. I think it’s due to it being a “one piece” belt design that flows through the back of the seat and only tightens on one side, rather than independently tightening LATCH belts on each side like the outgoing Peg Perego child seat it’s replacing. This is proving a bit of an issue, it just doesn’t seem to tighten snugly in there.

3. Top tether is also a bit cumbersome to tighten and is proving a PITA to get right.

All up the jury is out... it doesn’t want to fit snug enough and I might return it and try something g else.

Biggest issue is I think this may be the only booster seat that actually uses a 5pt harness which you can then convert to a normal shoulder belt setup once your kid is big/heavy enough.. that feature is a bit of a non negotiable for us, so I will have to go over the other models again and see if they also do 5pt...
If your kid(s) are younger, I would very strongly suggest a harnessed seat. I'd also consider it non-negotiable. However, once they move to a belt setup, you can get something less bulky (probably still a while away)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 01:33 AM   #20
babyfefe592
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Car back seat organizer

i would recommend using the car back seat organizer for your kids while teavleing. that would be very much helpful for you and your kids.
Appreciate 0