BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Brake Pads Recommendation for TRACK use

02-06-2023, 07:44 PM   #89
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I don't hear a lot about Hawk but my instructor at CMP mentioned the stock Brembo calipers liked hawk where the AP racing calipers like Ferodo.

I'm shopping for my a track pad to swap in for events. If I were going Ferodo I'd want the 3.12. I'm thinking the PFC11 or trying a Hawk DTC70.

I was respectably quick at CMP and accept that I need to buy a track pad and start swapping. I'm trying to avoid dropping $1k on a set of pads that might get used twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #90
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Something you really have to watch out for when choosing any track pad is how easy they are to get! Does any one in your country/territory actually hold inventory? It really sucks when you are prepping for the track, look in your track box, and find that you don't have any spare pads for the next weekend...and you find that you can't get any more for three months!

Some of the Japanese brands make really nice pads but they are unfortunately hard to get when you need them most. The last time we spoke with Endless, they were running everything out of a tiny little place in Los Angeles that was basically a one-man show. They held almost no inventory and relied solely on the factory in Japan to hold inventory...which manufacturers don't love to do! Shipping a few pad sets at a time from across the world is also expensive, so that means when you order it takes forever and costs a lot. It's a sub-optimal distribution situation.

We have a 30,000 sq.ft. Charlotte, NC warehouse filled with all kinds of brake goodies. I just snapped the pic below outside my office door, which shows just some of our Ferodo inventory.

Quote:
Ah I was looking at blue brakes. What compound are you looking at? Looks like me20 or 22 is used or the expensive ma45b. Endless says ME are for lightweight cars so not sure their life span. I will say I loved how well pfc’s played with OEM pads. I’ve used both 08 and 11, and unless I go slicks I don’t see a need for anything else
We have the Ferodo DS1.11, DS3.12, and DS2500 for the Blue M2 calipers in stock and ready for immediate shipment. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 02:47 PM   #91
jritt@essex
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I don't hear a lot about Hawk but my instructor at CMP mentioned the stock Brembo calipers liked hawk where the AP racing calipers like Ferodo.

I'm shopping for my a track pad to swap in for events. If I were going Ferodo I'd want the 3.12. I'm thinking the PFC11 or trying a Hawk DTC70.

I was respectably quick at CMP and accept that I need to buy a track pad and start swapping. I'm trying to avoid dropping $1k on a set of pads that might get used twice a year.
Per my supply comments above. You can always swing by our facility and pick up your Ferodo pads in person...save a little on shipping cost, and we can show you what we do at Essex.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 03:34 PM   #92
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Per my supply comments above. You can always swing by our facility and pick up your Ferodo pads in person...save a little on shipping cost, and we can show you what we do at Essex.
I need to get out there and take a look around. I really wanted to run a 3.12 as a track pad but doesn't seem like there is availability for the m2c and CS front brakes. Any work being done on that front to get these produced.

How does the Ferodo 1.11 compare to the RSL29? I'm sure the 1.11 is better than stock pad, but I want something that I can beat on and last. My guess is the RSL29 is going to last longer than the 1.11?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 08:48 PM   #93
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post

We have a 30,000 sq.ft. Charlotte, NC warehouse filled with all kinds of brake goodies. I just snapped the pic below outside my office door, which shows just some of our Ferodo inventory.

We have the Ferodo DS1.11, DS3.12, and DS2500 for the Blue M2 calipers in stock and ready for immediate shipment. Thanks!
Hey jritt, I'm a little overwhelmed by the selection of Ferodo brake pads:

1) Which pads / part numbers (front and rear) do I need for my OEM BBK on my M2C? looking at DS1.11's
2) Do you offer any forum discounts?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 09:35 AM   #94
OG Shark
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I need to get out there and take a look around. I really wanted to run a 3.12 as a track pad but doesn't seem like there is availability for the m2c and CS front brakes. Any work being done on that front to get these produced.

How does the Ferodo 1.11 compare to the RSL29? I'm sure the 1.11 is better than stock pad, but I want something that I can beat on and last. My guess is the RSL29 is going to last longer than the 1.11?
The 1.11 has a bit more bite and does not fall off as much as the temps get higher than the RSL29. With heavy, fast cars like the M2C fade resistance and consistent performance are typically the driver and the 1.11 is better at both. You can keep beating on the 1.11 past the point where the RSL29 would have given up. Lifespan is a bit subjective as there are so many factors at play - braking characteristics, track characteristics, grip level, traction control usage, car setup, pace - all play a big role. I do think the Pagids will likely last a bit longer but do not like the tradeoff in performance for this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
Hey jritt, I'm a little overwhelmed by the selection of Ferodo brake pads:

1) Which pads / part numbers (front and rear) do I need for my OEM BBK on my M2C? looking at DS1.11's
2) Do you offer any forum discounts?
These are the pads for the 2NH. For the different compounds the numbers stay the same but the last letter changes (H for DS2500, W for 1.11, and G or GB for 3.12 being popular compounds at this time).

Ferodo FCP4712W - Front 1.11
Ferodo FCP1281W - Rear 1.11
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #95
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
The 1.11 has a bit more bite and does not fall off as much as the temps get higher than the RSL29. With heavy, fast cars like the M2C fade resistance and consistent performance are typically the driver and the 1.11 is better at both. You can keep beating on the 1.11 past the point where the RSL29 would have given up. Lifespan is a bit subjective as there are so many factors at play - braking characteristics, track characteristics, grip level, traction control usage, car setup, pace - all play a big role. I do think the Pagids will likely last a bit longer but do not like the tradeoff in performance for this platform.

These are the pads for the 2NH. For the different compounds the numbers stay the same but the last letter changes (H for DS2500, W for 1.11, and G or GB for 3.12 being popular compounds at this time).

Ferodo FCP4712W - Front 1.11
Ferodo FCP1281W - Rear 1.11
Thanks for the feedback on this. The fade resistance is what I'm looking to avoid. Especially since my next event will have longer run times. I drove the snot out of the stock pads. The fade reliably with consistent pedal feel. It makes me sad when my brake point distance doubles. I'd like to see how my times are when my brake zone remains consistent throughout the day. I try to brake as little as possible. But I'm hard on them when it's time to brake. I'm usually on gas or on brake and tend to not lift before the brake point. Butt puckered a couple times when I misjudged the amount of fade
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:08 PM   #96
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
I've gone through allot of them mentioned here but I love Endless pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #97
Romanguo
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Never had any good luck with Ferodo, especially the 3.12.They leave materials on the rotor surface under track use/high temp, destroy the rotor super fast on the street when it's cold and ends up makes the whole car feels like a viber under breaking. If you want to make your passenger horny, Ferodo is the way to go lol. I guess venders love them just because you have to spend more money to buy new rotors/rings.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:53 AM   #98
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

I have blue regular calipers on my M2 compeition. Its running 530hp, full fat apart form front bucket seat. Brake wise I am RS29s, HEL lines, RBF660 (now SRF), front Brake cooling kit.

My RS29 look a little more than half used, but the pad material is cracking, bits are coming off, and along the side you can see the pad material start coming away from the backing plate. I dont do much road mileage but have left them in for road also and they have been good.

What pad would be the best for track and the best for road? I do 1 track day a month so thinking maybe swap them out for track days, ideally i'd prefer not to but i think its the only way if you want max track performance from the standard caliper.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #99
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk12 View Post
I have blue regular calipers on my M2 compeition. Its running 530hp, full fat apart form front bucket seat. Brake wise I am RS29s, HEL lines, RBF660 (now SRF), front Brake cooling kit.

My RS29 look a little more than half used, but the pad material is cracking, bits are coming off, and along the side you can see the pad material start coming away from the backing plate. I dont do much road mileage but have left them in for road also and they have been good.

What pad would be the best for track and the best for road? I do 1 track day a month so thinking maybe swap them out for track days, ideally i'd prefer not to but i think its the only way if you want max track performance from the standard caliper.

Cheers
I like PFC 11 pads. I leave mine in during track season (April to Nov). They are quiet on the street once matted to the rotors.

There's lots of information on the forum about enhancing the blue calipers. The basic formula:

upgrade to stainless steel pistons
Replace the OE dust boots and seals with high temp ones from racingbrake.com
use titanium shims
Remove splash shields which trap heat
Use quality two piece rotor (girodisc)
Install Bimmerworld air deflection kit
Appreciate 1
jayk1221.50
      04-21-2024, 01:05 PM   #100
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post

There's lots of information on the forum about enhancing the blue calipers. The basic formula:

1) Upgrade to stainless steel pistons
2) Replace the OE dust boots and seals with high temp ones from racingbrake.com
3) use titanium shims
4) Remove splash shields which trap heat
5) Use quality two piece rotor (girodisc)
6) Install Bimmerworld air deflection kit
Links to #1 and #2?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 02:05 PM   #101
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

https://racingbrake.com/bb-43bsp/
Appreciate 0