BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Weird fuel consumption with NO throttle applied (?)

10-04-2022, 05:39 AM   #1
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Weird fuel consumption with NO throttle applied (?)

Can someone explain this? (see attached pictures)

The car is a M2 Comp M6T

Both photos are the car on a slightly down slope, with NO throttle applied, just coating down the slope with 6 gear engaged

1 - The first photo (Zero fuel consumption) is taken within 4-5 minutes after the Car is turned on. This can be consistently reproduced by just quitting completely the foot from the throttle at any time, with any gear and in any condition

2 - However, (photo 2) after 4-5 minutes, the car starts consuming fuel while coasting even with NO throttle applied at all, and it will not return to (1) unless I stop the car and switch off the engine for about 2 minutes or so.

I also noticed that while the car is operating like 1, there's slightly more engine brake, compared with (2). So I conclude that the car is ACTUALLY applying some small (unsolicited) throttle while operating like 2.

I tried all sort of combinations, like throtle modes, DSC on and off, Air Conditioning on and off, etc, to try to find a pattern. But it's always the same. The car operates like 1 for a while after switching the engine on, then permanently moves to 2 regardless of car settings

I really hate this, because It feels to me that the car is using more fuel than needed, and anyway I don't get full engine brake while in 2, which is virtually all the time.

Is this normal car behavior?, or doe my car have an issue that needs to be fixed?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
I have noticed mine changes depending on the elevation.

Going uphill or downhill it's normal to see it change slightly.
      10-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
JoanLluch
Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

I'm not sure if you fully understood my question, or maybe I was not able to present it properly. Of course, fuel consumption at constant cruise speed varies depending on slope, but that's not the issue. I'm referring to ZERO throttle applied to the pedal, and the fact the car behaves in two very distinct ways. Both my photos are on the same downhill section of the road, I just chose a downhill section to get more time for the photo, not because the car will do differently on another kind of road or slope
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      10-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanLluch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

I'm not sure if you fully understood my question, or maybe I was not able to present it properly. Of course, fuel consumption at constant cruise speed varies depending on slope, but that's not the issue. I'm referring to ZERO throttle applied to the pedal, and the fact the car behaves in two very distinct ways. Both my photos are on the same downhill section of the road, I just chose a downhill section to get more time for the photo, not because the car will do differently on another kind of road or slope
I bet F87source can figure this out for you

Tagged him so hopefully he'll reply