BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > well, that was an interesting month

08-17-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
Jackhammer909
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

well, that was an interesting month

took the 2018 M2 in for its end-of-warranty service where I had noted every issue that I had seen in the 6 months that I owned it.

Items fixed/replaced:

MPE exhaust tips replaced due to cold start rattle (unfortunately the rattle is still there)
spark plugs replaced due to cold start idle roughness
sun visors replaced due to being so loose that they would move under acceleration/deceleration
carbon fiber mirror caps replaced due to clear coat delamination
windshield cowl replaced due to cracking
interior dash trim replaced due to matte carbon bubbling
istep updated due to Head Unit glitching
door seals replaced/door jams painted due to paint damage from door seals. BMW installed PPE in the jams to protect the paint so that should help.

in the end, dealer had the car for more than a month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Let me post 2nd, WTF!
I will start the questioning. How many miles are on your car, and where are you located?
Heat can fuck the interior up.

Also how many track miles?

My car is a M2c.
I had to have my M2 Eisenman exhaust welded up do to cracking after about 5k track miles, 17k on the car now and over 7k track miles.

Last edited by Suds; 08-17-2022 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:16 PM   #3
Jackhammer909
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm in SoCal and the car was a lease in SoCal its entire life.

I picked it up with ~45k miles on it and for the last 6 months I just noted things that were not correct. nothing was critical so I just noted it in notepad so that I would remember everything when I brought it for service.

I got a copy of the service records and every looked ok, routine oil changes and spark plugs were changed 20k miles previously. I did see that both taillights were replaced previously and the MPE muffler was replaced twice for the first owner. the last time the muffler was replaced was 500 miles before I bought it so right now I have MPE exhaust with less than 6k miles on and brand new tips (unfortunately they are the OG style with the setscrew locking system instead of the M2C style with the clamp. dealer said they couldn't upgrade to better tips even though others have said that they were able to get their SA to upgrade from OG M2 MPE to M2C MPE tips)

I dunno if it was ever tracked.

full window tint is going to happen in the next couple weeks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 06:34 AM   #4
TheSandman_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Careful tenting the back window. Water runs back and it might fry your amp. It happened to me, car was still under warranty and they covered it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
lumbrjackedpcj
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB / 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman_M2 View Post
Careful tenting the back window. Water runs back and it might fry your amp. It happened to me, car was still under warranty and they covered it.
I warned the tint shop prior to tinting my back window that if they weren't careful they would fry the amp. They didn't listen and replaced mine at no cost to me. Quite a few instances of amp getting fried because of tinting.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #6
Jackhammer909
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSandman_M2 View Post
is there any way to protect the amp beforehand? can we access it and put a bag over it or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer909 View Post
is there any way to protect the amp beforehand? can we access it and put a bag over it or something?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1707335

(Personally I just warned the tint guy, no issues, but I was still under warranty).

Also, why did the dealer need your car for a month to resolve those issues? Seems ridiculously long.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:10 PM   #8
Jackhammer909
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post

Also, why did the dealer need your car for a month to resolve those issues? Seems ridiculously long.
it was originally in for two weeks to get the majority of the work done. I had mentioned the door jams then but they didn't do anything about.

then, when I picked it up, I noticed that the dash had completely bubbled (it had previously bubbled a little bit but BMW refused to cover it then) during the heat wave while it as at the dealership so I contacted my SA and he said to bring it back in. at that point, they spotted the cracked cowl and said that the regional inspector would be the next day and they'd have him look at the paint damaged jams. ended up taking 2 weeks for that guy to come out and say that it was covered under the TSB. then, it took 3 weeks for the paint shop to fix the jams.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:23 AM   #9
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
So this amp issue, why is it the tints affect it so much? Does adding the tint cause something? Or is there a risk of water damage to the amp all year round?
      08-19-2022, 11:42 AM   #10
Jackhammer909
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFrankie View Post
So this amp issue, why is it the tints affect it so much? Does adding the tint cause something? Or is there a risk of water damage to the amp all year round?
from looking at the linked posts, it appears that its a one-time risk that installing tinting could cause water to drip down from the inside of the rear window during tint install and puddle into the trunk area where the amp sits.

separately, it appears that OG M2's are susceptible to water intrusion from the trunk vents in the wheel wells. later M2C's have a splash guard installed to deflect that potential water intrusion. looks like a good retrofit for us OG'ers
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #11
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

I too had delamination on my factory carbon mirror caps. Luckily the dealer replaced both under warranty, but it required some forceful negotiation. They initially claimed I had waxed it too hard and over heated it. Huh?
Appreciate 0