BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS Specs: 445 HP, Manual and M-DCT, CF Roof, CCB, Adaptive M Suspension & more

02-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #265
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Honestly, I am completely underwhelmed by the adaptive suspension on the F80 - I really can't tell when I switch between the different modes. It's always in Sport + for me, and I would assume I would do the same in the M2CS, should I decide to try and get one.
It seems like I've read more comments like yours, more people iffy on the EDC than raving about it. Is it just one of those features that seems perfect in concept but too many variables means it's just never going to please most of the people even some of the time?
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      02-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #266
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
It seems like I've read more comments like yours, more people iffy on the EDC than raving about it. Is it just one of those features that seems perfect in concept but too many variables means it's just never going to please most of the people even some of the time?
I think future iterations will be a lot better but BMW's current system doesn't create a lot of noticeable difference between very stiff (for smooth tracks) and soft/comfortable (for daily driving).

If the adaptive shocks could truly transform the car from a cushy daily driver to a flat handling track car they would absolutely be worth it but that's not the case now.
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
Poochie9104.50
      02-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #267
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

It's very noticeable if the roads are crap... i.e. where I live
Poochie9104.50
      02-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #268
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I don't understand the decision to add Adaptive Suspension. I will mirror other's comments that I felt little difference in the different modes in the M4. There definitely IS a small difference. However, in a more hardcore, driver's car variant of the M2, I would think they should just include the M-Performance Coilovers, not try to make it more comfortable (which the adaptive suspension fails at). The M4 GTS doesn't have adaptive dampers. I can't remember if the M3/M4 CS does.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      02-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #269
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
That's a good question - I wish I knew the answer, or had experience with adaptive suspension that was more noticeable on a daily basis.

By comparison, the difference between Comfort, Sport, and Sport + is readily apparent to me in the steering department. Also with the throttle mapping between the three options. But the car doesn't feel "floaty" in Comfort, or "hunkered down" in Sport + on the suspension side.

I asked the service guy if mine was broken once, because I feel no difference at all, and he looked at me like I was nuts.
      02-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #270
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Plus, doesn't it add additional weight?
Not sure - but I would assume you're right...adaptive dampers surely weigh more than a standard, fixed suspension...perhaps someone else with an F80/82 knows for sure.
      02-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #271
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I don't understand the decision to add Adaptive Suspension. I will mirror other's comments that I felt little difference in the different modes in the M4. There definitely IS a small difference. However, in a more hardcore, driver's car variant of the M2, I would think they should just include the M-Performance Coilovers, not try to make it more comfortable (which the adaptive suspension fails at). The M4 GTS doesn't have adaptive dampers. I can't remember if the M3/M4 CS does.
Along these lines, I guess from reading all these threads the last 2 years I figured that what people wanted in a CS/CSL was a more pure car, simpler, less weight, less crap to break and maintain and worry about, fewer gimmicks and gadgets. Not necessarily a stripper-car, but maybe a modernized version of a stripper car that eliminates the fluff. EDC seems like fluff on a CS, but maybe I've just misunderstood what everyone was asking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #272
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Adaptive Suspension in M cars are catered more towards performance and not so much ensuring a cushy ride.

It's worth it IMO and BMW wouldn't of added stock in the M4 CS, which adds cost and complexity, unless they felt it warranted its purpose.

Supposedly, on the G series, BMW improved it even further as they now call it Adaptive M Suspension (Version 2). :

Maybe some of the complaints about it not being discernible are now alleviated on the newer iterations.

The member in the post below broke it down better than I ever could:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=942225

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ntrol/EBRqGBoO
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #273
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Adaptive Suspension in M cars are catered more towards performance and not so much ensuring a cushy ride.
It's worth it IMO and BMW wouldn't of added stock in the M4 CS, which adds cost and complexity, unless they felt it warranted its purpose.
Supposedly, on the G series, BMW improved it even further as they now call it Adaptive M Suspension (Version 2). :
Maybe some of the complaints about it not being discernible are now alleviated on the newer iterations.
The member in the post below broke it better than I ever could:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=942225
[VIDEO]
Not at all! If it added any significant performance benefits BMW would have used it in M4 GTS as well but instead they went with a coilover system for GTS. Adaptive suspension on M cars is nothing but a marketing gimmick. It neither provides great comfort (in comfort mode) nor any significant performance benefits (in Sport+ mode). I tracked my M4 with adaptive suspension for 2 years it was absolutely nothing special. If I'd kept that car, I was going to get a true coilover system. Ohlins on my M2C perform miles better on the track in street setting than the adaptive suspension on my M4 in the most aggressive Sport+ mode.
Appreciate 2
AlpsRider2865.00
JustChris17489.00
      02-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #274
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
You omitted what for me what the single most important missing factor for me in my old 1M and now my M2!
That's what you get when your source of news about BMWs is a Tesla owner.
Appreciate 2
as7920597.00
JustChris17489.00
      02-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #275
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Not at all! If it added any significant performance benefits BMW would have used it in M4 GTS as well but instead they went with a coilover system for GTS. Adaptive suspension on M cars is nothing but a marketing gimmick. It neither provides great comfort (in comfort mode) nor any significant performance benefits (in Sport+ mode). I tracked my M4 with adaptive suspension for 2 years it was absolutely nothing special. If I'd kept that car, I was going to get a true coilover system. Ohlins on my M2C perform miles better on the track in street setting than the adaptive suspension on my M4 in the most aggressive Sport+ mode.
We're going to have to agree to disagree; I understand the concept of the technology and see value in it.

It wasn't added in GTS because they figure that vehicle's demographic would prefer HAS, which is only available in coilovers.

All auto manufactures are adding adaptive suspension, even my mother's new Honda Accord has it stock, so I'm sorry but I want it in my BMW also. Even if only means eliminating this blank button:

#OCD
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #276
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I don't know, I actually don't think there's a ton of cross shopping from M4 buyers. From my time at the other forum, there seems to be a huge portion of M4 buyers that are really image conscious and wouldn't be seen dead in a "2 series" even if it was faster and cheaper. The interior is a pretty big difference as well. Plus, the M4 is getting a little old and they were being discounted last I checked.

On the flip side, there are a number of people on the M2 forums here that wouldn't consider an M4 because of size alone.

You still might be right, though.
I'll actually slot right in there for you. I wasn't shopping for an M4 at all. A little bit at M3s, but mostly OG M2s. When push came to shove the discount on the M4 was so large that it just made the most sense. So, I have an M4. I do love her, but really excited about an M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #277
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree; I understand the concept of the technology and see value in it.

It wasn't added in GTS because they figure that vehicle's demographic would prefer HAS, which is only available in coilovers.

All manufacture are adding adaptive suspension, even my mother's new Honda Accord has it stock, so I'm sorry but I want it in my BMW also. Even if only means eliminating this blank button:

#OCD
You understanding the concept doesn't change the fact that BMW's implementation of adaptive suspension is just poor. All these people here stating the same thing as me by saying it's not actually that great. If you ever want to experience what we are talking about, go drive an M3/M4 with adaptive suspension and a GM car with magnetic ride back to back. BMW's adaptive suspension is a joke in comparison. Also your statement about GTS doesn't make sense either. BMW has M performance HAS kit for their adaptive suspension. They could have used it if it was that great.
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2865.00
      02-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #278
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
You omitted what for me what the single most important missing factor for me in my old 1M and now my M2!
That's what you get when your source of news about BMWs is a Tesla owner.
You also gave the Toyota Supra fans a master class lately ? (source: here)

Name:  Autoblog_M2_CS.png
Views: 1226
Size:  68.6 KB
COChris888.50
      02-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #279
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

I agree with Poochie that Adaptive suspension was meant for performance. I think the concept was to allow travel over sharp bumps but stiffen for slow movements and pressures so the car will be more planted. The ability to dynamically set the suspension to different settings was just a side feature that came along. However, I feel that it doesn't work that well in practice and the benefits are better felt on the street rather than the track. Perhaps it was improved now? I just know that bmw is probably heavily invested in the technology and cannot just scrap it because other manufacturers are developing similar technology.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      02-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #280
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
You also gave the Toyota Supra fans a master class lately ? (source: here)

Yeah, I had a chuckle. Though I must say the Supra forum people are really good sleuths themselves.
Appreciate 2
Artemis29443.00
dmboone254972.00
      02-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #281
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
You understanding the concept doesn't change the fact that BMW's implementation of adaptive suspension is just poor. All these people here stating the same thing as me by saying it's not actually that great. If you ever want to experience what we are talking about, go drive an M3/M4 with adaptive suspension and a GM car with magnetic ride back to back. BMW's adaptive suspension is a joke in comparison. Also your statement about GTS doesn't make sense either. BMW has M performance HAS kit for their adaptive suspension. They could have used it if it was that great.
I agree with you that the BMW adaptive suspension tries but it just isn't that smart. It stiffens at times that it shouldn't and is too soft other times. From what I understand the GM magnetic ride is light years ahead of BMW. Audi has magnetic ride now as well. I'm not sure if they bought GM tech or not.
I am enjoying the fixed suspension in my M2C. I know how it is going to handle in a given situation. The adaptive suspension has a mind of its own which is out of the drivers' control.
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
      02-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #282
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Strange about the BMW adaptive suspension because I found it was noticeable in the Golf R and the Focus RS is night and day between normal and sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #283
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Honestly, I am completely underwhelmed by the adaptive suspension on the F80 - I really can't tell when I switch between the different modes. It's always in Sport + for me, and I would assume I would do the same in the M2CS, should I decide to try and get one.
Agreed. I had M-adaptive on my F30 and couldn't really tell the difference in the different modes, but maybe the roads aren't in bad enough shape where I drive, lol.

In any event, I swapped the fixed stock suspension on my LCI for a set of Ohlins R&T and noticed the difference immediately. Still firm but the rear chatter is gone, plus a slightly lower stance adds a nice touch of aggressiveness. I do miss the HUD and the Surround view from the F30 though I have to admit...these would be nice additions to the CS, although I'm sure most will say it just adds weight...that Surround view is a rim/wheel saver though!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #284
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I think the problem is the need for a button on the part of Marketing.

If it were truly Adaptive, it would be able to give a Magic Carpet ride with no roll or pitch from a single setting.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #285
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I think the problem is the need for a button on the part of Marketing.

If it were truly Adaptive, it would be able to give a Magic Carpet ride with no roll or pitch from a single setting.
There is a lot of technology that goes into the set-up; the FlexRay bus data from each wheel's speed sensor (which is exclusive to AS), steering, DSC, braking, etc are all analyzed before the dampers adjust appropriately, in real time, which specifically helps with pitch and body roll.

It's not an add-on to the vehicle, it becomes one with the vehicle's electronics, including the M programable profile.

I sincerely doubt penny-pinching BMW added all that just to fill in the blanks on some button or add one line in some marketing pamphlet.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #286
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Adaptive or not, this is the first model in the F87 M2 range to have a new, different, suspension, period. It should also regain a decent weight and some nice features, like factory installed carbon roof.

As I already said before, this logically seems to be the OG M2 upgrade initially conceived by the engineers and delayed by the marketing only to hastily replace the obsolete emissions N55 and sell a ‘’few’’ downgraded S55 ‘s with a hefty 50 kilos ‘’bonus’’ and lots of expensive carbon fiber aftermarket parts to the credulous crowd convinced they were given the deal of the century by the BMW benefactor. Receiving a new pompous badge and M mirrors with a heavier version of an already high weight sports car with identical suspension might be all that a lot of fanboys wanted, but this finally was a pill hard to swallow for anyone caring for driving dynamics.

P.S. it really makes you wander, did really BMW finally f***ed the early adopters of a decent OG M2 package or the shy initial experiment was in the end a success that led to what BMW M(arketing) does best?

Last edited by flyaway; 02-27-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0