BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition revealed and announced by Evo magazine

Closed Thread

04-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #485
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nso98 View Post
This thing sounds great. I would get a stick. I currently have a manual e92 M3. Curious of others opinions in parting with the M3 for the M2. Would you do it?
I have currently both. M2 and M4.

If I had to get rid of one... it would be the M2.

Maybe because I'm older now (the M2 is my 7th M Car.. every generation of the 3/4 included).

But I like having the amenities. I couldn't live without full leather & individual colors, just two examples.

Do I look forward to driving the M2... you're god damn right.

I do 1/4 mile tracks and a few regular tracks yearly, already done one of each in the M2 since I got it 6 weeks ago.

The M4 is too big, no question. I like the size of the M2 much more. I just need more in my life then the bare basics offered in a 2 series line.

So, only you can decide which is right for you.... it's your priorities, no one else's.
This is going to be my dilemma next year.

I agree the M4 is a little too big. Much prefer the size of the 2er.

I'm gonna miss the nicer leather, power dome, and larger trunk though. HUD is whatever to me.

Can I get a set of golf clubs in the M2 trunk without folding the rear seat down?
Hmmm....

I'm
Gonna go with yes. You have 4' diagonally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #486
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
But what do I know, corporations do stupid things all the time.
Yep,like changing the perfect exterior design of the current M2.
Truth

Appreciate 1
SW192457.50
      04-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #487
Edtex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Coupe Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Get the Hex Tune.
Thanks, I've been considering that tune and the Dinan which is much more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #488
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
The extra weight, is it that serious ? If I want to lose a 120lb, I'll kick my girlfriend out the car.. Problem solved.
120lb increments add up real fast when it seems like every generation, LCI, refresh adds 100lbs or so.

M2C will be a great car, no doubt. But manufacturers and consumers just focusing on power to weight ratios is what’s slowly killing the driving experience of many great cars.

It has nothing to do with track times

If a 718 was 700 lbs heavier but had another 100hp do you think it would still be regarded as one of the best? I don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:20 PM   #489
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Everyone's been so focused on the 55kg that I never bothered to do the math before, but something seems way off.

1,495kg = 3,296 lbs

1,550kg = 3,417 lbs

Doesn't the base weight seem awfully low? Starting to question this, hope we get official specs at the reveal.
Manufacturer’s weights are based on the lowest possible spec on sale. This would mean looking at how you could spec a M2 in Germany. I suspect you can buy a M2 with pretty much no luxuries there.
Appreciate 1
Tag18322.00
      04-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #490
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

People do realize that weight is not just because of the S55 but all of the ancillaries tied to it? The cooling on the S55 on the F8X is nothing short of magical.

You're getting something for the added weight, a true cooling system that can handle the heat generated at the track with an engine pushing that much power.

It's called a trade off. You don't want the weight, go back to the N55 with less cooling and less capability.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #491
Bobby P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i/VW MK7.5 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
You obviously don’t have a clue. Go get one first.
You are the guy who compared EURO's to USD - when the mag lists it in British Pounds, not me. Hate to break it to you, Pounds and Euro is not the same currency. Yet, I have to get a clue? Great logic.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #492
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
How will installing a lighter battery in the trunk, a lighter exhaust system with the majority of its weight low and aft of the driver, and lighter wheels (all 4 corners) help the balance (weight distribution) of the M2 Comp? It seems like those weight-saving measures would push more weight to the front and raise the center of gravity (if only slightly).
You are talking me more into a M2comp with every letter you type, stop it! I still like the MG 6spd with the superior sound!!
You are suggesting that with relatively cheap & Easy mods, I can have an even more powerful, more tail-happy M2?
YES PLEASE
Maybe I'm in the minority, but if the car is sub 4.5 second to 60 I don't care what the actual number is. I tested my skills with my other car one time. Under 4.5, haven't given it a second thought till now. I don't live and die by my track times either, 80% of the time I don't even look at them.
While I don't like the weight of the Old or new M2, I plan on adding more than enough HP/tq to throw the whole thing outta balance regardless of weight. I just like to be able turn with the back end, hoon(drift)up some back country curves, and look good in the process. A modded 18' or 19' Comp will suit me just right. I'm in no rush and don't even mind waiting for the next reiteration of the M2. I love my current car and am still waiting patiently for my Gt3.
speaking of weight, sounds like I better not let u guys see me taking golf clubs, strollers, or T-ball equipment out of my trunk
      04-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #493
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCarrot View Post
The current M2 is already tilting the balance scale at 52/48. Adding another 121 lbs to the front will make it just about 54/46. BMW has gone down this mo-power-mo-weight path before to appeal to the mass that cares more about straight line acceleration bragging right, engine code designation, mirror cap pigtail and hood bump than the actual driving experience itself. That path led to successive M cars that enthusiasts universally agree have departed from their M root, until 1M and M2 came along.

If BMW really wanted me to be bitter about owning a current M2, they should have done these instead:
-B58 at a higher state of tune to 385-400hp
-Upgraded FMIC to support the hp bump
-Use aluminum hood, trunk and roof (I don't even need the fancy CF roof)
-Upgraded fueling would be nice to have

We would then have a 30-40 lbs LIGHTER and undisputedly better M2 rather than this new F82 M2. I would not be trading up either way as there are other impressive cars on the near horizon (GT4 and C8 just to name couple). But I genuinely want the M2C to be as best as it can be.

Spot on! Lightweight with optimal chassis dynamics is more my speed
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #494
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

can someone explain the ball joint suspension and why this is "better" than what the current M2 is fitted with?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #495
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The E30 M3 had a weight distribution of 53/47 and nobody complained about its handling (http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-bmw-m3-at-25/)

The 55kg addition in weight has not been officially confirmed yet.

There might also be less weight at the furthest end of the front (which counts more) as the S55 don't have the intercooler sticking out at the front like the N55. In that case it will offset against the increase of weight at the front by a measureable amount.

The ball joint suspension at the back also allows for more consistent handling stability during extreme cornering manoeuvre.
Appreciate 3
Tag18322.00
M-Pilot4860.50
      04-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #496
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CSL View Post
If a 718 was 700 lbs heavier but had another 100hp do you think it would still be regarded as one of the best? I don’t know.
No, but that is mainly because Porsche already makes a good car like that - it's called the 911!

All jokes aside, I totally agree with you. Their focus seems to be on the wrong thing. The frustrating thing for me is I am anxiously waiting to drop the cash on a CSL. They just wont ***ing build it because the damn bean counters insist on playing this progressive sales experiment game, generation after generation, meanwhile 10 years will go by and they'll have missed their chance to earn my money because they didn't have the balls to build it up front and I go back to the dark side (aka P-car world).
      04-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #497
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The E30 M3 had a weight distribution of 53/47 and nobody complained about its handling (http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-bmw-m3-at-25/)

There might also be less weight at the furthest end of the front (which counts more) as the S55 don't have the intercooler sticking out at the front like the N55. In that case it will offset against the increase of weight at the front by a measureable amount.

The ball joint suspension at the back also allows for more consistent handling stability during extreme cornering manoeuvre.
That's a really interesting point, TMIC located closer to the center of the car never crossed my mind. Can't wait to get the full details.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #498
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I now get why everyone is stressing the added weight but like other posters mentioned already, the engineers working at M GmbH are some of the smartest in the business and has been R&Ding this vehicle since 2016, I'm positive they sorted out handling issues with proper precision and added dynamics. It is an M car after all, not a Hellcat...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #499
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

This is the one to get! Hoping they finally have this in red
      04-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #500
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
There's no reasoning with some of these people. They're just here to stir the pot.

I have yet to see ONE post in this thread from an M2 owner that expresses any real disappointment about the M2C's release. It's all hypothetical bitterness from non-M2 owners telling us how upset they'd be if they were in our shoes.

And If you try to tell them you aren't upset and that you really like the car you currently have they call you salty
I'll be the first then?

I'm disappointed and this is coming from someone who doesn't have to have the fastest car or best car. If I did, I would have bought something different like an M3/4 or ZL1 or Corvette. I wanted the second coming of the 1M. I feel as though I got that in spades from the M2. I love the car and it has lived up to every expectation I had of it. It truly is fantastic.

If the price increase is true for all regions and a similarly equipped CS costs the same as a similarly equipped 16-18 M2, then that is a royal middle finger to all the people who bought into this car. It's almost as though BMW said "let's try releasing a proof of concept and if it sells well, we will release the actual product later on." We were the beta testers in terms of "does a small RWD coupe still sell?".

The LCI was inevitable. The iteration there after 14 months was expected because the 2er was already at LCI time and had been out for several years. But, releasing a replacement for comparably the same price (if true) within 2 years that's better? Well, not even Porsche f**ked their 981 GTS owners like that.

If I was given the chance between the two and someone said, here's a 405HP lawnmower or this 365HP sweet sounding BMW, I'd still pick the lawnmower because it's objectively better for the street and track. I'm obviously making some assumptions with that statement. I've driven an M4. I've heard modded M3's and M4's with aftermarket exhausts that supposedly "sound good". They sound like my body after eating bean burritos at Taco Bell. Despite all that, I'd pick the M2 Competition every day including Sunday.

I'm all for progress, but I'm not all for being a tester for a product this expensive. Mark it up 8-10k to start, and I wouldn't have issue. But this whole replacement thing (new model/package of the existing car? have no problem with it) so soon for a car that isn't limited and was never intended to be a 1 year run, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. If true, I can honestly say that this will sour me on the brand and I will take my money elsewhere in the future.

People make comparisons to electronics all the time. This is $50k we are talking about. Not a $500 TV that gets outdated in 3 months (also, buy a better TV to start...it'll last longer). Or even a phone lease where you just pay for the phone you use (lease rates on the M2 were terrible so now the owners are stuck with having purchased the car rather than being able to just turn it in). If I was a home theater enthusiast, I'd be pissed if I spent 10k on a TV for it to get replaced within a year with something noticeably better. That doesn't happen though. Picture quality tends to not really change from year to year once you get into the higher end.

All that said, I will continue enjoying the M2. It is not suddenly a worse car than it has been and it is still truly exceptional. However, BMW has played their hand (again, if true), and it's not a table I want to sit at. It shows a complete lack of care for their customer, especially in the enthusiast segment who are the most vocal and close enough to brand ambassadors.

Last edited by blackholescion; 04-14-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 8
silverado287.50
Spa2k1195.00
SeanWRT3179.00
akkando5864.50
dmboone254972.00
      04-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #501
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_linus View Post
The extra weight, is it that serious ? If I want to lose a 120lb, I'll kick my girlfriend out the car.. Problem solved.
This whole reaction is mainly because all that extra weight is supposedly in the front (not evenly distributed); hence, resulting in slightly worse weight distribution.
The weight bothered me more than most others perhaps because I experienced the before and after effects of such weight has on an FR car. At one point I had a SC installed on my C7 Vette. It added 200 whp and 150 wtq along with 80 lbs of hardware to the nose of the car. Granted the suspension was not retuned to account for the extra load. I understand the variables are not identical but close enough for me to draw references on the impact of such extra weight on the front of a car. The car was violently fast but handling suffered particularly on turn-in. It became less agile and nimble. Since that power delta was rarely accessed due to traction limit, it just became overall less fun to drive. I eventually removed the SC after a year.

The traction bottleneck will apply to the M2C as well. Probably won't be able to begin to make use of the power delta until WOT at over 50 mph as the acceleration figures suggest and backed by that M2 vs M4 Autocar video. Ultimately the M2C will be the faster car in straight line and on road course despite the weight, but less fun for daily driving and canyon carving.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 11:59 PM   #502
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #503
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

That's a really interesting point, TMIC located closer to the center of the car never crossed my mind. Can't wait to get the full details.
The trade off for TMIC is its weight is located at a higher point. Someone that is smarter than me can educate me on which one has lower center of gravity and thus the less of two evils. Point being though TMIC is no saint either.
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #504
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
This is the one to get! Hoping they finally have this in red
The M2 in general in any flavour is the one to get but unfortunately there is no Red.

Orange is the new Red.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #505
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
If the price increase is true for all regions and a similarly equipped CS costs the same as a similarly equipped 16-18 M2, then that is a royal middle finger to all the people who bought into this car. It's almost as though BMW said "let's try releasing a proof of concept and if it sells well, we will release the actual product later on." We were the beta testers in terms of "does a small RWD coupe still sell?".
This is interesting. The 1M has this feeling of being kind of an "F you" to the beancounters. There was a charm of them saying screw it, let's put this insane widebody on and cram in some M3 bits and make it manual only and just put it out there. With the M2, we all knew it was coming for a long time and I remember the posts about it starting years before it was unveiled. So the car is in development for years and they put out... the same thing as the 1M, down to the standard seats with contrast stitching. M3 bits crammed into a wider 2 series (for the record, this doesn't mean that the M2 is a bad or disappointing car by any means). Something that seemed spontaneous and free spirited with the 1M made some posters less enthusiastic about the M2, because they were expecting more with the increase in development time.

I'm just rambling in the first paragraph because in the Evo article they mentioned they got the feeling that the M2 Competition is the car that BMW wanted to build all along. We've seen test cars with the S55 for a while, so I wonder at exactly what point BMW knew they were replacing the M2 with the M2C. I think it's too cynical to say that they were using M2 owners as beta testers, but I can see how some would feel that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #506
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I am totally blown away at the weight of this car. I mean seriously. An RS3 which has awd, pano roof, magnetic shocks weighs 50 lbs LESS than a DCT M2 Comp which has none of those things to add weight, AND (at least in Canada) it is 10% more money. A TTRS is 330 lbs less! I mean think about that for a second. Seems like very lazy engineering.
Appreciate 3
M2 CSL446.50
seis-speed2435.00
Closed Thread