BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Already 53K miles on my 6MT LCI 2018 M2 (50K miles in 17 months)

12-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Already 53K miles on my 6MT LCI 2018 M2 (50K miles in 17 months)

50 by me.

I didn't order the car but if I did - I would have specked the car exactly as the previous owner did who ordered it exactly as he wanted.

Weird but it's like the car was meant for me.

Alpine White
Manual
Executive package
Black Kidney Grilles
Wheel Locks
Black Side Grilles
Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
M Performance mats

The Black Grilles and Mirror Caps really show the Black/White contrast which is what I wanted.

I added an M performance Carbon Fiber rear spoiler and wrapped the front end and hood.

Also put IND (white) stickers on both rear windows.

The car's just perfect for me.

And why did the original owner get rid of it after 3K miles?
He ordered it for his son and because the son had like size 14 feet, he hated the manual.

MSRP was $57,760 when ordered - I got it for $51,120 w/ 3K on the clock - 17 months ago.
Yeah, the car dealer is still in business - haha but, I did ok and I couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 6
QM287.00
cptobvious2531.50
Artemis29374.50
akkando5864.50
termigni1081.00
      12-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
50K miles in 17 months? Wow
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Yeah - 3 state territory - have 47K miles on my fronts Michelin PS4's believe it or not - still just in the "yellow" margin re: replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Yeah - 3 state territory - have 47K miles on my fronts Michelin PS4's believe it or not - still just in the "yellow" margin re: replacement.
Forgive me, but if you can afford an M2 you can probably afford a nice Interstate driver to destroy, no? Maybe a used Lexus ES350? Seems to me it'd be a much more enjoyable drive, and then your toy stays pristine for the weekends.

I only have a 2.6 mile commute, 2 days a week, so the M2 is my daily. My toy is a Lotus Exige. So yeah, I'm a firm believer in the DD.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

That would be so boring though. Just another lemming
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      12-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Forgive me, but if you can afford an M2 you can probably afford a nice Interstate driver to destroy, no? Maybe a used Lexus ES350? Seems to me it'd be a much more enjoyable drive, and then your toy stays pristine for the weekends.

I only have a 2.6 mile commute, 2 days a week, so the M2 is my daily. My toy is a Lotus Exige. So yeah, I'm a firm believer in the DD.
I look at it like this - as much as I drive, I want something that I enjoy every mile and that's this M2.

I just love driving it - put a Dinan Stage 1 tune on it right after I bought it - boosted the HP to 383 and the torque over 4 - really feel the difference.

And the wrap has saved my interstate driving. My car is just about immaculate even after 53K miles. You'd have to see it to believe it.

I had a 2000 e39 M5 - some on this board knew about it - was featured in Roundel Magazine one time - had over 275K miles - looked new and then.... I smashed it.

Just about every time I go to the gym, my boy says: "How do you keep your car so clean?"

I bust my butt detailing it every single week - probably waxed it 7-8 times in 17 months - last time yesterday.

Car and house have to be sterile - me? I can stink - wife doesn't get it.
Appreciate 12
      12-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
I look at it like this - as much as I drive, I want something that I enjoy every mile and that's this M2.

I just love driving it - put a Dinan Stage 1 tune on it right after I bought it - boosted the HP to 383 and the torque over 4 - really feel the difference.

And the wrap has saved my interstate driving. My car is just about immaculate even after 53K miles. You'd have to see it to believe it.

I had a 2000 e39 M5 - some on this board knew about it - was featured in Roundel Magazine one time - had over 275K miles - looked new and then.... I smashed it.

Just about every time I go to the gym, my boy says: "How do you keep your car so clean?"

I bust my butt detailing it every single week - probably waxed it 7-8 times in 17 months - last time yesterday.

Car and house have to be sterile - me? I can stink - wife doesn't get it.
I look at it the same way. I bought mine as a daily driver and intend to use and enjoy it without worrying about putting too much wear and tear on it. No reason to keep it pristine for the next owner to enjoy, while I miss out. And it's not like my work babying it ever increases resale value. Cars are hard to sell privately, and trade-ins don't give you much.

That being said, I wash my car like once a month in the summer. A bit more in the winter. Detailing it a few times a year. It's covered fully in Xpel too. My philosophy is to protect it where I can, so I can enjoy it without worrying. And I don't want to spend my free time constantly cleaning it, when I can be doing fun stuff. Though it can be relaxing to spend a few hours, with headphones on, detailing my car. I still keep up on the maintenance and replace anything that gets worn out too much from use, but I'm not super anal about it like I was with my last car.

My last car I wouldn't even eat in it. Wouldn't let anyone eat it in. Rarely ever had passengers cause I didn't want them wearing out the leather. When I did, I would tell them to get out a certain way so not to put too much stress on the leather. My neighbors kids would always lean on it and rub their hands all over it. Sometimes a stray basketball would hit it (not denting it) Years ago I was upset about it, never said anything to the kids cause I didn't wanna yell at them. Now I don't worry about it too much cause I rather have fun and relax.

I guess partly because I remember my mom always screaming at me for hours on end when I accidentally split a glass of milk on the floor. And never letting me play with my Christmas toys because they were "too messy". Like, I get that it takes people a lot of work to be able to afford something nice, so they want to keep it pristine because of that. But is it really worth being a tyrant and ruining a relationship over? I don't believe so.
Appreciate 6
cptobvious2531.50
tranck500.50
rich8566608.50
QM287.00
termigni1081.00
      12-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Understood. I guess I just imagine that most would be like me and not enjoy the car that much on the highway, but hey, whatever trips your trigger. haha
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      12-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
Quote:
Understood. I guess I just imagine that most would be like me and not enjoy the car that much on the highway, but hey, whatever trips your trigger. haha
The thing that would annoy me most about driving that much highway would be the tiny gas tank and having to stop all the time.

I know that the specs say 13.7 gallon, but I have never filled more than like 10.5 into ours and that was when it was reading Empty and with like 12 miles left in the tank according to the BC.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
The thing that would annoy me most about driving that much highway would be the tiny gas tank and having to stop all the time.

I know that the specs say 13.7 gallon, but I have never filled more than like 10.5 into ours and that was when it was reading Empty and with like 12 miles left in the tank according to the BC.
Yea, when my range says ~40mi left, fuel gauge shows more than 1/6 left, and less than 10 gallons always fills the tank. I average 11.5mpg, if you wanna do that math.

The manual says there is a yellow fuel warning light that comes on when you're using the reserve fuel. I've yet to see it come on, but have never driven below 35mi range yet. And this is a separate warning than the one you get when you have 50mi range left that I'm talking about.

My guess is the 13.7gal tank includes the reserve fuel. And that the reserve fuel isn't taken into consideration when calculating the range estimate. Nothing in the manual about how much fuel is being reserved. And this behavior is probably a safety measure to protect the fuel pump. I've read people talking about having driven quite a bit after reaching 0 range.

Edit: Previously said 1/3, meant to say 1/6

Last edited by Anthony1s; 12-19-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Yea, when my range says ~40mi left, fuel gauge shows more than 1/3 left, and less than 10 gallons always fills the tank. I average 11.5mpg, if you wanna do that math.

My guess is the 13.7gal tank includes the reserve fuel. And that the reserve fuel isn't taken into consideration when calculating the range estimate. Nothing in the manual about how much fuel is being reserved. And this behavior is probably a safety measure to protect the fuel pump. I've read people talking about having driven quite a bit after reaching 0 range.
I drive low all the time. Just put in 12.41 gallons this morning. With 1/3 left, the car tells me I'm low on fuel, and has a range of ~40 miles. Once that range gets down to ~25 miles, the little warning triangle shows up and says something about running on reserve fuel.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I drive low all the time. Just put in 12.41 gallons this morning. With 1/3 left, the car tells me I'm low on fuel, and has a range of ~40 miles. Once that range gets down to ~25 miles, the little warning triangle shows up and says something about running on reserve fuel.
Damn. I meant to say 1/6 not 1/3. Not used to used to our wonky gauge lol.

What mpg do you average? And does it take 12.41gal when at 1/3 tank left?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #13
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Damn. I meant to say 1/6 not 1/3. Not used to used to our wonky gauge lol.

What mpg do you average? And does it take 12.41gal when at 1/3 tank left?
I meant 1/6 as well, my bad. It's weird for sure.

I average 20 mpg (+-2). Depends on how much highway driving I get done, but usually hangs around 20.

The fuel low comes on at 1/6 left, I usually then drive to the gas station, and at that point I have < 30 miles on range, and it takes 12 gallons. It took a little more this morning because of extra traffic.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't understand why some people get so wound up about mileage. One the reasons I buy cars like M2 is to drive them. Especially if a there is a long commute.

Drive the crap out of it. When done go buy another great car to drive.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
I don't understand why some people get so wound up about mileage. One the reasons I buy cars like M2 is to drive them. Especially if a there is a long commute.

Drive the crap out of it. When done go buy another great car to drive.
I don't see anyone here hung up on getting good mileage. We're talking to each other to estimate the reserve tank size... Also theorizing why his takes 12+ gallons when the gauge shows 1/3, and me and the other guy get 8-9gals. If it's a dynamic gauge based on range (which is why I asked his avg mpg), or if the gauge isn't sensitive enough to distinguish a few gallon difference.

It's about understanding our cars better... not about getting great gas mileage lol
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
I don't see anyone here hung up on getting good mileage. We're talking to each other to estimate the reserve tank size... Also theorizing why his takes 12+ gallons when the gauge shows 1/3, and me and the other guy get 8-9gals. If it's a dynamic gauge based on range (which is why I asked his avg mpg), or if the gauge isn't sensitive enough to distinguish a few gallon difference.

It's about understanding our cars better... not about getting great gas mileage lol
I think he meant the amount of miles/kms put on the odo, not the gas mileage figures. No one should buy an M2 if they are concerned about getting what is considered to be "good" gas mileage, lol.

As far as putting miles on the car, by comparison to the OP I have about 10K km which would be just over 6K miles on my "18 LCI. Doesn't mean I am babying it and certainly don't believe that it is anyway increasing the value or reducing the depreciation of the car, the market value is the market value. Less KM's just means that by comparison your car might be more appealing to a potential buyer than a similarly spec'd car with more KM's on it. Honestly, I just don't get to drive it that much due to personal circumstances. Meaning my wife hates the noise coming out of the back!! and so she refuses to ride in it...which tbh is actually fine with me because then I can drive it the way I want to without her constantly critiquing/passenger seat driving "too fast", "this car sounds broken", "too close to the guy in front of you", "why are you smiling like an idiot". To each their own.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      12-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Yea, when my range says ~40mi left, fuel gauge shows more than 1/6 left, and less than 10 gallons always fills the tank. I average 11.5mpg, if you wanna do that math.
The manual says there is a yellow fuel warning light that comes on when you're using the reserve fuel. I've yet to see it come on, but have never driven below 35mi range yet. And this is a separate warning than the one you get when you have 50mi range left that I'm talking about.
About 'running on emtpy' stress:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I already managed to fuel almost 54 liter (14.2 gallons) (official fuel tank capacity of the M2 is "approx. 52 liter" or "approx. 13.7 gallons").

During a 1200 km trip I planned to make it to a fuel station on the Autobahn, low on fuel. However, because of road works the fuel station was closed. The road works and traffic queue were never ending while the fuel range dropped to 0 km and the OBC kept bombarding me with low fuel warnings. So I got off the Autobahn as soon as I could and frantically looked around for fuel stations. I don't remember how many kilometer I drove with fuel range 0 km. I did not check, but generally you still got about 20 km of range reserve when the fuel gauge indicates empty.

Anyways, better avoid this situation, because running on empty, or close to empty, ain't good for the system (see for example here).

12-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #18
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Quote:
Quote:

47k miles on those fronts, damn that's impressive
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I think he meant the amount of miles/kms put on the odo, not the gas mileage figures. No one should buy an M2 if they are concerned about getting what is considered to be "good" gas mileage, lol.

As far as putting miles on the car, by comparison to the OP I have about 10K km which would be just over 6K miles on my "18 LCI. Doesn't mean I am babying it and certainly don't believe that it is anyway increasing the value or reducing the depreciation of the car, the market value is the market value. Less KM's just means that by comparison your car might be more appealing to a potential buyer than a similarly spec'd car with more KM's on it. Honestly, I just don't get to drive it that much due to personal circumstances. Meaning my wife hates the noise coming out of the back!! and so she refuses to ride in it...which tbh is actually fine with me because then I can drive it the way I want to without her constantly critiquing/passenger seat driving "too fast", "this car sounds broken", "too close to the guy in front of you", "why are you smiling like an idiot". To each their own.
Oh haha, my mistake. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
About 'running on emtpy' stress:
Isn't there a thing where a UK gallon is different than a US gallon? I wonder if that's relevant.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in the DD.
Same. I understand not everyone has the budget/garage space for an additional vehicle but getting a DD for commuter/snow duty was pretty life-changing for me. Gas mileage and practicality aside, I can leave it in a tight parking space or on a busy street overnight and not have an anxiety attack thinking about something occurring while I'm away. Parking the M2 out in public can get annoying/stressful at times. I know it's not a Ferrari or anything but it's still my baby.
Appreciate 7
tranck500.50
Poochie9104.50
cptobvious2531.50
VisualEcho6633.50
Luongo134.00
      12-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Same. I understand not everyone has the budget/garage space for an additional vehicle but getting a DD for commuter/snow duty was pretty life-changing for me. Gas mileage and practicality aside, I can leave it in a tight parking space or on a busy street overnight and not have an anxiety attack thinking about something occurring while I'm away. Parking the M2 out in public can get annoying/stressful at times. I know it's not a Ferrari or anything but it's still my baby.
I hear you man, I DD'd the Exige for 3 years (again, my commute is very small), and I hated some of the places I had to park it and such. I was so happy when I could finally afford a real DD and then set to work restoring the Exige to perfection (it wasn't bad, but perfect is better than not-perfect).

This pic is a perfect example of what it looks like every time I used to park the Exige somewhere (I live in a small town).
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910931.00
cptobvious2531.50
M2Crew220.50