BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealer screwed up service interval timer

10-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dealer screwed up service interval timer

I went to do my 2000km break in service, the dealership reset my service light. But instead of resetting the break in service light (btw that light never showed up), they reset my yearly service timer. It is showing 15000km or Oct 2019 for my next service.

That does not seem like a big deal, but when I do my fourth year service, my car would be out of the four year warranty plan, which means I lost one free service because of their reset. So is there a way to dial back my service timer or do I just go in one year after my delivery date and ignore the service timer? Thanks

Last edited by MetalMK; 10-27-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
I went to do my 2000km break in service, the dealership reset my service light. But instead of resetting the break in service light (btw that light never showed up), they reset my yearly service timer. It is showing 15000km or Oct 2019 for my next service.

That does not seem like a big deal, but when I do my fourth year service, my car would be out of the four year warranty plan, which means I lost one free service because of their reset. So is there a way to dial back my service timer or do I just go in one year after my delivery date and ignore the service timer? Thanks
Get their fuckup in writing and signed
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
They simply said that because they already changed engine oil in the break in service, I should come back in a year to get the next oil change and it would be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
They simply said that because they already changed engine oil in the break in service, I should come back in a year to get the next oil change and it would be fine.
Up to you. I wouldn't trust their word alone. It then again worst case you're out 100-150 for an oil change so not exactly deep costs
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Up to you. I wouldn't trust their word alone. It then again worst case you're out 100-150 for an oil change so not exactly deep costs

It just still makes me wonder why is it so difficult for them to select the correct option to reset the service timer, I expect them to pay more attention with an M car than a 320i. So there's no way to change the service timer to a couple months back at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
OzWoz
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 6MT

Noob-style question, but if you change oil / filter (or get a non-BMW shop to do it), does that affect the service timer, or is the reset a physical task that the dealership carries out?.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWoz View Post
Noob-style question, but if you change oil / filter (or get a non-BMW shop to do it), does that affect the service timer, or is the reset a physical task that the dealership carries out?.
The reset can be done either through the hidden menu accessed by the button on the cluster or a diagnostics computer in dealerships
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Sounds to me like you're going to get your four oil changes. The break in service light is just a reminder to get the break in done. You got the oil change and it sounds like, if I'm reading right, that you will get at least four in by the time your warranty expires. You're not going to get five or an unlimited amount during that four years.

If a person drives a ton of miles and reaches 50,000 miles before their four years are up, they've used all their oil changes. Now someone like me, who has a 2017 with 12,000 miles on it, only gets the oil changed once a year. It's called Condition Based Servicing.

Having to get a break in service done is just part of owning an M car versus a regular car. That being said, a person that doesn't own an M isn't going to get any more oil changes than you are.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Sounds to me like you're going to get your four oil changes. The break in service light is just a reminder to get the break in done. You got the oil change and it sounds like, if I'm reading right, that you will get at least four in by the time your warranty expires. You're not going to get five or an unlimited amount during that four years.

If a person drives a ton of miles and reaches 50,000 miles before their four years are up, they've used all their oil changes. Now someone like me, who has a 2017 with 12,000 miles on it, only gets the oil changed once a year. It's called Condition Based Servicing.

Having to get a break in service done is just part of owning an M car versus a regular car. That being said, a person that doesn't own an M isn't going to get any more oil changes than you are.
We have four year free maintenance, from my understanding, that means one free oil change a year for four years, so four oil changes. For an M car, a break in service is added at 2000km, so five oil changes for me. And if someone drove 80000km in two years, he is still going to get the four oil changes, and if it's an M car, plus a break in service.

So what my dealer did does not affect the first three yearly oil changes, but when I go in for the fourth, the car would be out of warranty for a few months. That is what is concerning me.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

We have four year free maintenance, from my understanding, that means one free oil change a year for four years, so four oil changes. For an M car, a break in service is added at 2000km, so five oil changes for me. And if someone drove 80000km in two years, he is still going to get the four oil changes, and if it's an M car, plus a break in service.

So what my dealer did does not affect the first three yearly oil changes, but when I go in for the fourth, the car would be out of warranty for a few months. That is what is concerning me.
I bought mine in November of 2017. It was a trade in with 895 miles on. One of our customers decided he wanted a 911 worse.

My car came with a four year or 50,000 mile warranty. The service agreement was for three years or 36,000 miles. Two totally separate things. My three years are up but I still have another year on the warranty. The service is on my dime. That's why I bought a set of race ramps and keep my favorite Liqui Moly supplier's phone number close by.
      10-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I bought mine in November of 2017. It was a trade in with 895 miles on. One of our customers decided he wanted a 911 worse.

My car came with a four year or 50,000 mile warranty. The service agreement was for three years or 36,000 miles. Two totally separate things. My three years are up but I still have another year on the warranty. The service is on my dime. That's why I bought a set of race ramps and keep my favorite Liqui Moly supplier's phone number close by.
Then it is different in Canada. We have four years or 80,000km of free maintenance. Thats why I think I should get five free maintenance. So you got four free maintenance (1 break in and 3 yearly) right?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Then it is different in Canada. We have four years or 80,000km of free maintenance. Thats why I think I should get five free maintenance. So you got four free maintenance (1 break in and 3 yearly) right?
I only got three. My break in and two others. I didn't drive enough miles. Mine was based on time. The intervals were set based on being done a year after the break in service. Not when the car was placed in service.
      10-31-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I only got three. My break in and two others. I didn't drive enough miles. Mine was based on time. The intervals were set based on being done a year after the break in service. Not when the car was placed in service.
What did they tell you when you brought your car into your dealership for service when your free maintenance period was ending, like at the end of three years?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:42 AM   #14
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
What did they tell you when you brought your car into your dealership for service when your free maintenance period was ending, like at the end of three years?
He actually told me I was getting close and not to forget. He also included the spark plug and air filter change even though the car only had short of 11,000 on it when I brought it in. I always kept pretty close tabs on it anyways. I do remember reading in the contract and explaining it to me when I bought the car.

The service indicator light came on before the service agreement ended. It came on the first of October and my agreement ended the 24th.

I know this may not help as mine was based on time and it seems yours is based on mileage. Unfortunately it's one or the other with BMW.
      11-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
He actually told me I was getting close and not to forget. He also included the spark plug and air filter change even though the car only had short of 11,000 on it when I brought it in. I always kept pretty close tabs on it anyways. I do remember reading in the contract and explaining it to me when I bought the car.

The service indicator light came on before the service agreement ended. It came on the first of October and my agreement ended the 24th.

I know this may not help as mine was based on time and it seems yours is based on mileage. Unfortunately it's one or the other with BMW.
Mine is also based on time, I don't drive 15,000km a year.

My other BMW is going into its fourth year service this month, I will see if they offer me this one for free or not. I never expected the last service in the free maintenance time period to not be free
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Hey I know it's a little bit of an older thread, but I was just looking through my service invoices as I'm trying to figure out if my engine air filter and cabin air filter have been replaced. It doesn't look like either have been replaced.

Can you guys tell me what the interval is for the engine and the cabin air filters? Usually a cabin air filter is like 1 year.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #17
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Does the Service Record booklet for the Canadian market provide any hints?
Appreciate 0