BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M2C

06-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #67
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I thought it was pretty damned funny. I guess everyone has a different sense of humor.

Aha. Well if he already passed away. RIP. Can I have his SWATCH?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #68
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
The steering feel accounts for 80% of the driver-road connection, and is the first thing that can be felt when driving my 135i (hydraulic steering) and M2 (electric steering) back to back.
The other minor differences are seating position (M2 doesn't tilt back as much) and foot pedal positions (it seems to me the gas pedal is pushed to the left by the huge center console.
All other differences (and there are many of them) are in favor of the M2.
The EPS rework on the M2C helped a lot. I spent an afternoon on the 1/2 mile Michelin skidpad with my M2C last September specifically evaluating EPS feel -- steering wheel torque build up versus lateral loading, feel approaching/at/over the limits of the front tires, drifting, etc. I was directly comparing it to my E90 M3 with an excellent HPS.

Is it perfect? No, but it's much better than earlier EPS attempts by BMW. It's tad numb when you're at/just over the front contact patch limits, but nothing major. Also, when you have a large lateral load in the chassis and have to quickly let up (open up the wheel, say to avert something in road) and then get right back into the major lateral loading, there is a bit of a disconnect feeling as you reacquire the previous cornering load.

Seating position with the M3/4 seats coupled with the great level of steering wheel travel is outstanding (for me). I can put the seat back to fit the pedal distance just right, and then still have enough steering wheel travel to fit my arms perfectly. So adjusted, the 6MT shifter is perfectly located. Getting back into the E90 M3 yields not quite enough wheel reward travel and the shifter is a tad too far away with the seat back where I need it (6'2").

Nonetheless, the M2C is staying put for now. My wife loves the car (she mainly drives it), so our plan to flip it right away if it was awful wasn't required.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #69
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Are you on medication mate? This doesn't sound good. At all.

You need to find help. I'm serious.

Cheers
Robin(ex E90 M3/1M)
Logistically it turns out to be hard; I will either need to find a bigger closet, or one with more joists in the ceiling to attach the rope to :-)
      06-15-2019, 03:47 AM   #70
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

M2c fuel consumption

Reading about the M2c the fuel consumption is much higher than M2 ! Really needs a bigger tank!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:36 PM   #71
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

Is DCT in m2c on 3 really less aggressive than OG on sport+?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #72
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromeister View Post
Reading about the M2c the fuel consumption is much higher than M2 ! Really needs a bigger tank!
It really is a noticeable thing, always looking for a shell station. My 1M had just about the same range though. I wonder if this is a way to keep the advertised weight of the car down?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #73
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
It really is a noticeable thing, always looking for a shell station. My 1M had just about the same range though. I wonder if this is a way to keep the advertised weight of the car down?
All 2 series including the 230i have the same size gas tank. We get less mileage per tank because of the more powerful engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #74
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fortyeye View Post
Where you hear this? It should be the same
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #75
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
It is a little faster in the M2C but they have removed the "slam" in each gear so it does feel less aggressive.

I didn't mind the old slam at all, but I prefer the shift in the M2C.

I did read on another post that you can greatly improve the steering feel in the OG M2 by updating the software. Not sure if this also applies to the transmission as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:17 AM   #76
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
It is a little faster in the M2C but they have removed the "slam" in each gear so it does feel less aggressive.

I did read on another post that you can greatly improve the steering feel in the OG M2 by updating the software. Not sure if this also applies to the transmission as well.
That's great news.

I absolutely hate that fake effect.

When tuned and in sport+, that slam effect is enough to literally get traction control to come on and just kill the power at the most inconvenient time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #77
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

I think the lci 2018 model has those changes youre talking about
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #78
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
I think the lci 2018 model has those changes youre talking about
The EPS rework was new for the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #79
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
All 2 series including the 230i have the same size gas tank. We get less mileage per tank because of the more powerful engine.
I understand the math, but still wonder why they don't just give all models a larger tank. They should still plan for the thirstier engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #80
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
I understand the math, but still wonder why they don't just give all models a larger tank. They should still plan for the thirstier engines.
I believe this comes from the EU emission rules. It has something to do with curb weight calculation.
Most 2 series sold there have smaller 4 cylinder engines so the tank is large enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #81
620turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have an Z4M roadster (S54) as a fun car. I also had a fully loaded M235I from 2016 as a daily driver.

I looked at M4's but after driving a few was unimpressed and on track where i was able to drive a few different cars, I preferred the M235I hence me buying one.

Logical progression was therefore an M2. I waited for the M2C to come out and was about to order one.

In December 2018 I found a fully specced M2C in hockenheim silver in a UK dealer with delivery mileage at £8K off list. I was over the moon, had everything arranged and I was going to buy this car.

I went to see it and test drove it.

I did not like the seats particularly although they look better than the M2 items I found them not so comfortable. This was not a show stopper though.

Worse was the sound. I found it pretty shocking to be honest and the sound is a big part of the overall experience.

I was also put off by the rear view with the exhaust particulate filter hanging down like a ball sack / set of udders under the rear diffuser.

I also found hockenheim silver pretty underwhelming in the flesh.

I walked from it and found a fully loaded black sapphire M2 LCI (N55).

I am over the moon with it. OK, the power delivery of the S55 is a bit sharper and pulls a bit harder towards the top end but in the real world, on the roads it is marginal. I prefer the seats, it sounds a million times better and it does not have the stupid nut sack.

I concur with the poster who said the older cars are more emotional, especially with NA engines.

The Z4M is a laugh but the M2 is also very good as a smiles per mile daily.
Appreciate 7
D22M21366.50
Ikester192120.50
Fedorov160.50
tranck499.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #82
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

I know this has been beaten to death but it’s new to me.

I drove an M2 on a BMW track day last year. Compared to M3, m5 etc. M2 was my favorite. So nimble and just amazing. Goldilocks you’d say. It did lack a bit of power vs M3.

Now in the market and see the M2C. I’m debating. Is the handling after the weight gain the same. The exhaust tone. More $$. The seat graphic design. Do love the instruments

I’ve found new 2018 $10k off retail. Or very low mileage ones for even less of course.

What if you take a 2018 and add a tune? N55 exhaust tone. Handling. And save at least $6-$8k

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #83
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
I know this has been beaten to death but it’s new to me.

I drove an M2 on a BMW track day last year. Compared to M3, m5 etc. M2 was my favorite. So nimble and just amazing. Goldilocks you’d say. It did lack a bit of power vs M3.

Now in the market and see the M2C. I’m debating. Is the handling after the weight gain the same. The exhaust tone. More $$. The seat graphic design. Do love the instruments

I’ve found new 2018 $10k off retail. Or very low mileage ones for even less of course.

What if you take a 2018 and add a tune? N55 exhaust tone. Handling. And save at least $6-$8k

Thoughts?
Exactly what I did - have a 2018 and had a Dinan Stage 1 tune - no CEL - bumped the HP to 383 and torque to 411 - car now has 40K miles - perfect!

I could not live with the M2C:
Seats uncomfortable
Bad sound
Bad looking exhaust, front end and wheels.

Kinda like the mirrors though

jmo.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Ikester192120.50
      06-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #84
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

M2C turns in better, chassis more composed vs OG M2.

About the seats OG /M2C, the OG's are alright but on trackdays I prefer the M2C seats. They subjectively look better and with my lower back 'problems' I find the M2C seats just 'better'

Looks are subjective and I loved my LBB OG M2. 437M are nice wheels. Still an eyecatcher OG M2.

Strangely when riding behind my own M2C the last thing I noticed was the cow udder. Not kidding.

S55 vs N55 I won't go into that , just stating N55 sounds the best. And that's it

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4004.00
      06-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #85
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
M2C turns in better, chassis more composed vs OG M2.

About the seats OG /M2C, the OG's are alright but on trackdays I prefer the M2C seats. They subjectively look better and with my lower back 'problems' I find the M2C seats just 'better'

Looks are subjective and I loved my LBB OG M2. 437M are nice wheels. Still an eyecatcher OG M2.

Strangely when riding behind my own M2C the last thing I noticed was the cow udder. Not kidding.

S55 vs N55 I won't go into that , just stating N55 sounds the best. And that's it

Cheers
Robin
So you find the m2c seats more comfortable? How do they do on longer drives compared to the OG?

I have back issues too and the main reason I didn’t get the OG M2 was the seats didn’t feel right for me, so I ended up in a 530 with multi contour. I’ve sat in the M2c twice but haven’t driven it yet, and I felt like the seats in the m2c were way better than OG, so it surprises me seeing so many people on here saying the OG seats were better
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #86
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
He made it up as he typed it.

It's the same except the M2C has Drivelogic.
      06-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #87
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
So you find the m2c seats more comfortable? How do they do on longer drives compared to the OG?

I have back issues too and the main reason I didn’t get the OG M2 was the seats didn’t feel right for me, so I ended up in a 530 with multi contour. I’ve sat in the M2c twice but haven’t driven it yet, and I felt like the seats in the m2c were way better than OG, so it surprises me seeing so many people on here saying the OG seats were better
I've found the M2C seats to be very comfortable. I always thought the seats in my E90M3 were outstanding until we bought the M2C. Now when I back-to-back the cars, I miss the M2C seats immediately upon getting into the M3. FWIW, I'm 6'2" 200lbs.

The first two days after I bought the car, I drove it from IL to SC, and was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the seats were during long periods driving. They have great side support too as I found out on day 3 when I spent 1/2 day on the Michelin 1/2 mile skidpad with the car evaluating the reprogrammed EPS. For having such high thigh bolsters, they are sculpted just right such that when you rotate to get out of the car, your thigh slides into the cutout behind the thigh bolster making it possible to exit the car without looking wounded.

The EPS is now actually pretty well done with good build up of torque vs cornering load, and it has decent feel and feedback approaching/at/over the limits of the front tires -- I spent 4 hours on the skidpad evaluating it (posted a thread here on that experience last fall). My wife and I haven't been happy with any BMW post E9x generation, and we were ready to flip the M2C right away if the EPS wasn't decent.

Of course 99% of my time on the pad was with DSC fully off, but I did evaluate the returned/revised MDM mode, and it's an outstanding improvement over any prior BMW I've driven using a nanny. I could actually get the car to drift in MDM mode for a while if I started it with a Scandinavian flick and then was very very smooth with the controls. Also, MDM does a far better job than I expected launching the car hard -- it manages torque vs tire spin very effectively, especially on cool/colder pavement, since the S55 builds huge torque so fast.

9+ months in, and we still enjoy the car a lot. 6500 miles.
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8679.50
Moflow2484.50
      06-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #88
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
He made it up as he typed it.

It's the same except the M2C has Drivelogic.
It's not the same. The m2c dct software has been updated and it doesn't slam so hard as the OG does.

The heavy slam when you upshift in the OG ok sport+ is kind of cute. It makes people in the car jump a bit and freak out because it's so abrupt and upsets the car. That makes it fun but..... not sure it's the best thing for going fast or wear and tear. Going just sport mode tones it down a lot, like m2c drive logic 3, but then you're in sport instead of sport+...
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50