BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M2C

05-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #23
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

What if we nuke the horse? Then we can't beat it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I'm only here to beat the bad color option dead horse....if that is a dead horse subject or not im not sure. But really?...5 awful colors to choose from?
This type of discussions got 'thread derail' track records.

Poochie9099.00
qnet676.00
natmad667.00
      05-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #25
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Lol love these flame threads!! Oh OP what have u done lol! Grats on the new ride but

OG / LCI for the win

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #26
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
What if we nuke the horse? Then we can't beat it anymore.
Calling Chuck ?
Name:  ChuckNorris.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  48.8 KB
COChris887.50
      05-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #27
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
What made the previous beemers more drive worthy, other than steering

The m2 was hailed as best drivers car in a long time
The steering is not a minor thing, it is a HUGE deal.

The rest is being surrounded by "electronic everything," and too much weight, which turns the car into something akin to driving a car in an arcade or video game. My 2000 clown shoe Z3M coupe with the lowly 240 HP S52 engine is about 1000 times more enjoyable and engaging to drive than any M2 ever was or ever will be. In a sense, I'd rather drive my old 1973 2002 (not tii) which must have turned to a pile of rust several decades ago.

I did the one day M Performance school in CA last winter and I am no race car driver. Based on that experience I think that the current M cars (including the M2) are probably really awesome on a track, and if that is your usage than I think you probably have found some of the best M cars, ever. What the current M cars are, however, is not much fun to drive. Unless of course, all you care about is acceleration, but then you could get a Ford F-350, and that has a lot of power, also.
seis-speed2426.00
10"4946.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      05-23-2019, 04:42 AM   #28
Arregueti
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M2 MT - Evora S - 325xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post

The rest is being surrounded by "electronic everything," and too much weight, which turns the car into something akin to driving a car in an arcade or video game. My 2000 clown shoe Z3M coupe with the lowly 240 HP S52 engine is about 1000 times more enjoyable and engaging to drive than any M2 ever was or ever will be. In a sense, I'd rather drive my old 1973 2002 (not tii) which must have turned to a pile of rust several decades ago.

I did the one day M Performance school in CA last winter and I am no race car driver. Based on that experience I think that the current M cars (including the M2) are probably really awesome on a track, and if that is your usage than I think you probably have found some of the best M cars, ever. What the current M cars are, however, is not much fun to drive. Unless of course, all you care about is acceleration, but then you could get a Ford F-350, and that has a lot of power, also.
IMHO you need a Lotus in your life.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      05-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #29
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

OP - Congrats on the beautiful car!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arregueti View Post
IMHO you need a Lotus in your life.
Let me be clear I'm a HUGE BMW fan and enthusiast, and the M2 in any form is a great car. I love my OG to death, but I agree with this statement x 1,000. Current BMW chassis are to fat and numb to be "the ultimate driving machine." There was a time when any, and I mean any BMW was an excellent driving experience (in general and certainly when compared to rivals in its perspective class) but those days are long gone. Handling, ergonomics, a chassis that communicated instantly with the driver because it was designed and built that well. No need for tons of electronic aids and adaptive suspension BS. Everything now is pure marketing and high HP, 0-60 dick measuring. I don't need more power, I need a chassis that is good no matter what HP level, or lack there of.

Being nostalgic here, no doubt the M2 has potential to be faster than the prior 135's I've modified and tracked, but it does so with a bloated and numb feeling, and this is not just steering. The 135 was a PIG for its size and had limited space for wider rubber but man was it engaging.

Moving from bespoke N/A M engines to forced induction was controversial, going from E series chassis with good steering feel to F series with even more weight and numb steering is blasphemy! HAHA! Those 135's had a rigid, accurate, crisp driving feel that I don't see any heavy F series achieving.

Too tall to fit in a miata, lotus, or even a 987 cayman for daily driving the M2 is indeed a great balance of sport and comfort but I doubt I will ever own a BMW newer than the OG M2 as things are headed in the wrong direction with the F series. When the budget can stretch a little further a 981 cayman S or GT4 is absolutely in my future. Simpy put M cars of today have lost what made them so special in the past.

Then again I don't ever buy my BMW's brand new so why would they really care about what I want......

And hey, at least these are not silly ass AWD hybrids.....yet!

Rant over - Happy for you and the new ride OP!
      05-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #30
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

This thread belongs in the "M2 vs" section. Let the horse die.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #31
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

cliffs on thread (and other M2 vs M2C threads):

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #32
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Big d**k contest in progress ...M2c wins the huge ballsack contest
Appreciate 5
natmad667.00
JTO245246.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      05-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONDEMAND View Post
OP - Congrats on the beautiful car!

Let me be clear I'm a HUGE BMW fan and enthusiast, and the M2 in any form is a great car. I love my OG to death, but I agree with this statement x 1,000. Current BMW chassis are to fat and numb to be "the ultimate driving machine." There was a time when any, and I mean any BMW was an excellent driving experience (in general and certainly when compared to rivals in its perspective class) but those days are long gone. Handling, ergonomics, a chassis that communicated instantly with the driver because it was designed and built that well. No need for tons of electronic aids and adaptive suspension BS. Everything now is pure marketing and high HP, 0-60 dick measuring. I don't need more power, I need a chassis that is good no matter what HP level, or lack there of.

Being nostalgic here, no doubt the M2 has potential to be faster than the prior 135's I've modified and tracked, but it does so with a bloated and numb feeling, and this is not just steering. The 135 was a PIG for its size and had limited space for wider rubber but man was it engaging.

Moving from bespoke N/A M engines to forced induction was controversial, going from E series chassis with good steering feel to F series with even more weight and numb steering is blasphemy! HAHA! Those 135's had a rigid, accurate, crisp driving feel that I don't see any heavy F series achieving.

Too tall to fit in a miata, lotus, or even a 987 cayman for daily driving the M2 is indeed a great balance of sport and comfort but I doubt I will ever own a BMW newer than the OG M2 as things are headed in the wrong direction with the F series. When the budget can stretch a little further a 981 cayman S or GT4 is absolutely in my future. Simpy put M cars of today have lost what made them so special in the past.

Then again I don't ever buy my BMW's brand new so why would they really care about what I want......

And hey, at least these are not silly ass AWD hybrids.....yet!

Rant over - Happy for you and the new ride OP!
Certainly I wish lots of pleasure to all M2/M2C owners, especially the OP on this thread. They are fine cars, just not what I personally look for when it comes to driving enjoyment, although a nice package and better than most else that is out there in these times.

I used to own three, 1-Series vehicles, of which I retain two; my 1M, and a 135is coupe, both of which were purchased used. My third 1-Series car was a 135i coupe (also acquired used), which I traded in on my M2, and which I found to be a bit duplicative of my other 1-Series cars. I don't regret that trade in, nor the M2 purchase. It's a car I don't mind running up the odometer on, and that I can/am willing to drive in the snow and all winter long, something I absolutely do not do with any of my older and irreplaceable cars. So it serves a purpose.

I also have a 2018 Golf R., which in a value for money comparison beats the hell out of the M2, plus it is way more practical with its 4 doors and hatch. It's not as nice a car overall as the M2, but for functionality and value it's well worth considering these days and is still available in 6MT. Like the M2, the steering is pathetic, however. The Golf R doesn't seem to me to be as bloated and heavy, although this could just be the feel I get from it and not necessarily based on real weights.
      05-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #34
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

My last car was a Golf R which I loved, but the M2 is definitely more fun...though I sometimes miss the practicality of the hatch.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #35
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:

Did you ever drive the E36 M3? I only ask because I'm curious what you think/thought of it. I wish I still had mine so I could make a comparison between it and my M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #36
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Did you ever drive the E36 M3? I only ask because I'm curious what you think/thought of it. I wish I still had mine so I could make a comparison between it and my M2.
I came very close to buying one about 5 years ago, but for reasons (most of which) I can't remember at this point, I did not. As a result I never test drove it and have no experience with that vehicle.

I did own an E36, 1993 BMW 325i for 10 years as my one and only vehicle during that period. I liked that car a lot and the only reason I got rid of it was a cascade of electrical problems no one could seem to fix, which accumulated towards the end.

I have owned a Z3M clown shoe coupe for several years, and it is considered to be an E36 vehicle as well.

The E36 M3 was known for its much weaker, less powerful engine, in US-sold vehicles.

The "connection" of the vehicle to the driver depends on a lot more than just horsepower. As was stated earlier in this thread, if you go back to the time when BMW was known as a producer of sports sedans, rather than as an SUV producer, virtually every car they produced was fun to drive and connected to the driver. A lot of those cars weren't that powerful, and most of them were not even close to being luxurious. My 1973 2002, purchased new for $3700, had no radio, no A/C, and would likely get beaten on the straightaway by a modern Prius. But, it was a really engaging and fun car to drive.
      05-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #37
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
I came very close to buying one about 5 years ago, but for reasons (most of which) I can't remember at this point, I did not. As a result I never test drove it and have no experience with that vehicle.

I did own an E36, 1993 BMW 325i for 10 years as my one and only vehicle during that period. I liked that car a lot and the only reason I got rid of it was a cascade of electrical problems no one could seem to fix, which accumulated towards the end.

I have owned a Z3M clown shoe coupe for several years, and it is considered to be an E36 vehicle as well.

The E36 M3 was known for its much weaker, less powerful engine, in US-sold vehicles.

The "connection" of the vehicle to the driver depends on a lot more than just horsepower. As was stated earlier in this thread, if you go back to the time when BMW was known as a producer of sports sedans, rather than as an SUV producer, virtually every car they produced was fun to drive and connected to the driver. A lot of those cars weren't that powerful, and most of them were not even close to being luxurious. My 1973 2002, purchased new for $3700, had no radio, no A/C, and would likely get beaten on the straightaway by a modern Prius. But, it was a really engaging and fun car to drive.
I owned my E36 M3 for 13 years and had to fix a lot of stuff on it as time went by. I was told by a guy at a shop I had it in, that BMW maxed the car out as far as what it could take electrically. That's why it had so many issues later on. That's funny given the amount of electronics they have in the new BMW's, including the M2.

It was a fun car, and is what got me into BMW's.
Appreciate 2
champignon1562.00
      05-23-2019, 08:17 PM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I owned my E36 M3 for 13 years and had to fix a lot of stuff on it as time went by. I was told by a guy at a shop I had it in, that BMW maxed the car out as far as what it could take electrically. That's why it had so many issues later on. That's funny given the amount of electronics they have in the new BMW's, including the M2.

It was a fun car, and is what got me into BMW's.
BMW has done a lot of stupid things with cars over the decades, in spite of their reputation for being a quality, German-made, car. Wiring used in wire cable harnesses was frequently of very thin gauge and prone to wear, especially at friction points such as where the wires enter the doors. Lots of substandard parts made out of plastic have been the norm for a long time, and frequently you can't just replace the plastic doohickey, you have to replace an entire component at a huge cost, such things as gears in electrically powered seating systems, etc.

The electronics that i object to in modern cars are those that insulate the driver from driving the vehicle, and those taking over operation of the vehicle from the driver, navigation and other screens in the field of view, assorted nannies of all types, etc.
      05-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #39
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

OP - can you please describe your impressions of both cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #40
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Big d**k contest in progress ...M2c wins the huge ballsack contest
Good1
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #41
petay135
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

It is quite surprising how much more aggressive the OG front valance is, much deeper fangs, if you were new to the scene you might think that was the competition variant....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #42
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt10pro View Post
Recently replaced my 2017 MG M2 with the new 2019 HS M2C. One month in, I'm super-excited with that move, but would gladly open it to discussion...
Would anybody else on this forum definitely/not_on_your_life do it?
Honest opinions only...

Attachment 2059684

Attachment 2059685
Give me an m2c for a month to try out and I'll let you know...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #43
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
The truth is that neither of these cars appeal to the sort of drivers that made the BMW brand.

I have an LCI 2018 M2 6MT manual. It reminds me of the bottle of 2010 red Burgundy I had with dinner tonight with my business partner. Don't get me wrong, I love 2010 red Burgundies, and it is one of my all time favorite vintages. But this bottle, from a producer and vineyard that we both like, was uninteresting, flat, and monotonal.

I have 3 older BMWs, all manuals, and every single one of them is way more fun to drive than my M2. I'm sure that I'd have the same opinion of an M2c; too automated, too electronic, not connected to the human driver.

Powerful; yes. But unconnected, akin to driving a car in a video game.
Bullshit - then why did you buy the M2? Did you test drive it?
The OG M2 and the M2C are fantastic cars period - you must be tired of it...or something.
He hated it when he read about it, hated it when he shopped around for one, hated it on the test drive, hated it when he bought it. This will be the car that does everything he wanted, but still hated. He's got the three 1 series BMWs or maybe just two now that he all likes better.

But BMWs doesn't sell a 2 door coup bigger than a 1 series but smaller than 3 series with hydraulic steering. So he's got nothing new he can buy that's going to feel like the older cars, and he doesn't need anymore used 1 series BMWs.

Maybe a super clean 335i or e90 m3 would be preferred by him.

Last edited by akkando; 06-06-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
Ikester192120.50
      06-05-2019, 09:38 PM   #44
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Give me an m2c for a month to try out and I'll let you know...
I must say, that I didn’t like the new seats in the M2C. I found them very uncomfortable. Glad I have an OG M2.
Appreciate 4
D22M21366.50
tranck499.00
Ikester192120.50