BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Euro Delivery Welt meet-up on Sept. 17th anybody?

08-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

Euro Delivery Welt meet-up on Sept. 17th anybody?

I know of one other forum member getting his M2C that Monday, and we'll be there too.

If other Bimmerposters are also scheduled for pick-up that day, maybe we should do a group photo, time permitting?

We're staying at the Leonardo Royal Hotel Munich (not as fancy or expensive as it sounds, and they offer a discount for ED customers per the BMW Welt info packet), and we'll be walking the 1 mile from there to the Welt for our mid-morning check-in. After such a grueling hike, I might need to visit every cafe in the Welt, even though the hotel also provides breakfast.

Figuring to do the factory tour after picking up our car, then driving to the hotel to get our luggage, and then off to Bamberg for our 1st day (of twelve) driving the new M2C. Hope to see you at the Welt, or maybe out on the road.

Our itinerary goes north, then west to the Nurburgring, then south to Switzerland and dropping the car off in Zurich.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I will be picking up my M2c on October 2nd 1pm.

What is your itinerary? I and staying at Posthotel in Pfunds and Aquadome in Austria. Trying to determine where I want to go in Germany when I head up North.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Congrats & enjoy your trip We stayed at the same hotel but unlike you, we were lazy & took the U-Bahn to the Welt
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post
I know of one other forum member getting his M2C that Monday, and we'll be there too.

If other Bimmerposters are also scheduled for pick-up that day, maybe we should do a group photo, time permitting?

We're staying at the Leonardo Royal Hotel Munich (not as fancy or expensive as it sounds, and they offer a discount for ED customers per the BMW Welt info packet), and we'll be walking the 1 mile from there to the Welt for our mid-morning check-in. After such a grueling hike, I might need to visit every cafe in the Welt, even though the hotel also provides breakfast.

Figuring to do the factory tour after picking up our car, then driving to the hotel to get our luggage, and then off to Bamberg for our 1st day (of twelve) driving the new M2C. Hope to see you at the Welt, or maybe out on the road.

Our itinerary goes north, then west to the Nurburgring, then south to Switzerland and dropping the car off in Zurich.
How did you get the discounted rate for the royal? I emailed and it turns out that week is the IBA fair which negates the discount (for me anyway).

My pickup is around 1pm that Monday. Going all alps + stelvio.

BMW classic is right down the street from the hotel as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Congrats & enjoy your trip We stayed at the same hotel but unlike you, we were lazy & took the U-Bahn to the Welt
We've been telling ourselves we're going to walk, but the U-Bahn is a worthy option, in case we're dragging from the flight the night before. Mahalo!
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe393.00
      08-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I will be picking up my M2c on October 2nd 1pm.

What is your itinerary? I and staying at Posthotel in Pfunds and Aquadome in Austria. Trying to determine where I want to go in Germany when I head up North.
Congrats to you, and SoCal regards too. My sister-in-law lives in Orange, and a good friend lived in Newport Beach (as in on the beach, 10 houses up from the Wedge), and that part of CA is a favorite. (I grew up in W. Covina, which is the same region but a different world!)

How long is your trip, and have you been to Germany before? What do you like to see (presuming you will be respecting the break-in limitations and not going so fast that you won't see anything but blurred scenery)?

Feel free to PM me, and i'll reply with some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
How did you get the discounted rate for the royal? I emailed and it turns out that week is the IBA fair which negates the discount (for me anyway).

My pickup is around 1pm that Monday. Going all alps + stelvio.

BMW classic is right down the street from the hotel as well.
Hmm, that fair is news to me; I am just glad we are getting our delivery before September 22nd, which is when Oktoberfest officially begins in Munich, and they get about 6 MILLION visitors during those 3 weeks.

Re: the hotel, I mentioned the BMW Welt deal in my email to them, and the hotel offered the discount. (But now that I just Googled the IBA Fair, I wish we were invited, because I love snacks, although I would not eat in the new car. Such a conflict!)

Alps and Stelvio are magnificent, and although we've driven part of Stelvio before, it was closed after ~30 (?) turns, with a huge snowplow blocking the road in late Spring that year.

We will likely drive the Furka Pass (in Switzerland) which is about 54 miles from where we're staying for several nights, vs. 205 miles to Stelvio. I've PM'd a couple of Switzerland-based Bimmerposters, and hope to meet them while there, and get recs on where to drive (albeit unlikely we'll exceed the break-in threshold unless at the end of our trip; I'm planning to do the break-in service when we get the car delivered to the Performance Center in SC).

My wife says she'd rather tour the BMW factory than the museum, but we'll see how it works out after we get our car at 11:40a. Hope to see you at the Welt!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Congrats to you, and SoCal regards too. My sister-in-law lives in Orange, and a good friend lived in Newport Beach (as in on the beach, 10 houses up from the Wedge), and that part of CA is a favorite. (I grew up in W. Covina, which is the same region but a different world!)

How long is your trip, and have you been to Germany before? What do you like to see (presuming you will be respecting the break-in limitations and not going so fast that you won't see anything but blurred scenery)?

Feel free to PM me, and i'll reply with some ideas.
Yes I been to Germany before, I did an ED on my 2011 M3. This will be my second one.

My trip will be 10 days, but actually 6 days with the car because I am going during Oktoberfest and the first 3 nights will be without the car. I did not want the car with the Oktoberfest madness but still wanted to see Oktoberfest.

Yeah Balboa Peninsula is nice. I was there last weekend at the beach. Love the beaches and the weather near the beach in California.

Thinking about staying in Rothenburg. I booked a hotel near the Ring to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, that fair is news to me; I am just glad we are getting our delivery before September 22nd, which is when Oktoberfest officially begins in Munich, and they get about 6 MILLION visitors during those 3 weeks.

Re: the hotel, I mentioned the BMW Welt deal in my email to them, and the hotel offered the discount. (But now that I just Googled the IBA Fair, I wish we were invited, because I love snacks, although I would not eat in the new car. Such a conflict!)

Alps and Stelvio are magnificent, and although we've driven part of Stelvio before, it was closed after ~30 (?) turns, with a huge snowplow blocking the road in late Spring that year.

We will likely drive the Furka Pass (in Switzerland) which is about 54 miles from where we're staying for several nights, vs. 205 miles to Stelvio. I've PM'd a couple of Switzerland-based Bimmerposters, and hope to meet them while there, and get recs on where to drive (albeit unlikely we'll exceed the break-in threshold unless at the end of our trip; I'm planning to do the break-in service when we get the car delivered to the Performance Center in SC).

My wife says she'd rather tour the BMW factory than the museum, but we'll see how it works out after we get our car at 11:40a. Hope to see you at the Welt!
I may have to sneak into the snack convention. Yes the dates I proposed were specifically near but not on wiesn for that reason. It was fun to do once.

Hope there's nothing blocking the way, I'm keeping off the highways to maximize load variation on the motor during break in.

Neighbor is from Bern and told me to check it and surrounding areas out so will probably end up going through Furkastrasse inevitably. Only have until the following Saturday so blasting through most places quickly.

I will also be doing PCD, did you get a date yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Yes I been to Germany before, I did an ED on my 2011 M3. This will be my second one.

My trip will be 10 days, but actually 6 days with the car because I am going during Oktoberfest and the first 3 nights will be without the car. I did not want the car with the Oktoberfest madness but still wanted to see Oktoberfest.

Yeah Balboa Peninsula is nice. I was there last weekend at the beach. Love the beaches and the weather near the beach in California.

Thinking about staying in Rothenburg. I booked a hotel near the Ring to.
I proposed in Rothenburg, neat city. We went in the off season to avoid the "pad holes" (people walking around staring through their ipads...). You can walk the wall late at night freely, the night watch tour is interesting. Hotel Reichsküchenmeister has a neat little bar in it's basement with tons of authentic schnapps. The main bar tender is an ex military guy - super funny and nice. Romantic road is cool in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
For all those not yet sure where to sleep.... i visit munich once a year and i can only HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Anna at the Karlsplatz/Stachus. I book there every year...

It is near the main station, has one of the finest restaurants in the city built in as well as a great bar. All rooms simply stunning. For cost no object guys i can also recommed the tower suite, simply gorgeous......

https://www.annahotel.de/en.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep

Gang, I think that photograph above is of a bathroom. (At first glance, I though it may have been some sort of futuristic drink dispensary area next to the hotel lobby.)

Sir, you have expensive taste. Kudos.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #13
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Yes of course it is the bathroom I can't stress enough how great the Anna is. Even the "cheapest" rooms feel like absolute luxury and they cost around a 1/4 of the tower suite. Enjoy some more impressions over here: https://www.annahotel.de/en/gallery.html

By the way, this is the bar. also looking pretty kool Yummy drinks and fine deserts!

Get a room in the anna, you won't regrett for sure
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

For those doing PCD after ED, will they do the break in service at the PCD location? I should be right around 1,100 when it gets there from ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #15
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, they will. I called directly and got that answer.

I then asked if the techs wear lab coats and carry stethoscopes, etc. while they're working on the M cars, and the answer was "no".

As to the PC delivery date, the PC rep said they won't know for certain until the car is dropped off and ship transport scheduled. She said they will try to give us at least 3 weeks' notice, so we can make travel plans accordingly. Her guesstimate based on a Sept. 28th dropoff in Zurich was a PC arrival the first week in December, but that's only 9 weeks in my calculations, so I'm expecting it to be a week or two later from what BMW ED info packet says.

Last edited by BOhio; 09-10-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

We leave today for Munich. We arrive tomorrow early afternoon and take delivery on September 20th in the morning. We then set off to Lake Como,Monaco,Paris London, Nurburgring, and back to Munich for the next 2 weeks. Car is set for service in the UK. The ring I have a race car waiting for me. Should be a great trip. This makes my 3rd euro delivery in 4 years. In my opinion, no better way to enjoy these types of cars, bucket list trip, feel very fortunate. Best part is, she's a manual, dying breed I know.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
We leave today for Munich. We arrive tomorrow early afternoon and take delivery on September 20th in the morning. We then set off to Lake Como,Monaco,Paris London, Nurburgring, and back to Munich for the next 2 weeks. Car is set for service in the UK. The ring I have a race car waiting for me. Should be a great trip. This makes my 3rd euro delivery in 4 years. In my opinion, no better way to enjoy these types of cars, bucket list trip, feel very fortunate. Best part is, she's a manual, dying breed I know.
Super jealous, that sounds like an amazing trip! Been to a couple of those places, but certainly not all at once.

I'm going to have to try this on my next purchase.
Appreciate 0