BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 crash - Owner warning

12-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #177
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Even a pencil is dangerous if not treated properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #178
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

One of my favorite quotes: If your car gets hit by lightening, that is an accident. Everything else is driver error.
Appreciate 4
Conissah1576.00
Luongo134.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      12-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #179
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Even in the dry, under cold tyres condition the PSS can still miss a beat under hard throttling unless all nannies are on

I would go easy on the throttle when it's damp or wet...especially there might be oil or other slippery stuff on the road
Appreciate 1
Conissah1576.00
      12-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #180
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I would go easy on the throttle when it's damp or wet...especially there might be oil or other slippery stuff on the road
And if the tires haven't had a chance to heat up. Putting around and then mashing it once the engine temp is up will obviously result in loss of traction.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16074.00
      12-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #181
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I think some of guys are being too sanctimonious, when logically, if you're the type to purchase an M2, it's usually not to cruise the boulevard, it's too boggie sideways.

This car in particular, I've notice when the PSS tires wears out to less than 1/2 it's tread life or its operating under its recommended temperature (under 45 degrees) and you step out on it, it can become unpredictable like a rabid animal.

In damp roads, it's been know to spin out and fishtail, even on MDM. It's sheer luck I manage not be in the same circumstance.

I cannot bring myself to fault anyone for losing control because of my experience with its inherent snap over-steer; I can confirm if you don't catch it in time to counter-steer, it's game over, no reset button.

Keeping the stability control on and keeping fresh tires keeps that layer of assistance in those critical moments of limited traction. You'll know when they are when it happens..

Trust in the technology, as much as the our masochism won't allow us to admit it, it's the sole reason most of us can even venture into a powerful RWD vehicle and it's the most meaningful automotive safety invention since the safety-belts.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
      12-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #182
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Why would people be driving their street car remotely 'hard' in the rain. I don't accelerate hard at all in the rain, cause it will spin 3rd easy.
I was talking of when the road is even slightly wet
      12-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #183
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I think some of guys are being too sanctimonious, when logically, if you're the type to purchase an M2, it's usually not to cruise the boulevard, it's too boggie sideways.

This car in particular, I've notice when the PSS tires wears out to less than 1/2 it's tread life or its operating under its recommended temperature (under 45 degrees) and you step out on it, it can become unpredictable like a rabid animal.

In damp roads, it's been know to spin out and fishtail, even on MDM. It's sheer luck I manage not be in the same circumstance.

I cannot bring myself to fault anyone for losing control because of my experience with its inherent snap over-steer; I can confirm if you don't catch it in time to counter-steer, it's game over, no reset button.

Keeping the stability control on and keeping fresh tires keeps that layer of assistance in those critical moments of limited traction. You'll know when they are when it happens..

Trust in the technology, as much as the our masochism won't allow us to admit it, it's the sole reason most of us can even venture into a powerful RWD vehicle and it's the most meaningful automotive safety invention since the safety-belts.
Living in Boston, I'd have to agree. I was lucky and caught my car a couple of times before even thought I had the stability control on in wet damp conditions. Eventually my luck ran out and under no heavy acceleration, I lost the car completely because of my relative speed and shape of the road. The tires were at half their recommended tread life.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #184
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
Living in Boston, I'd have to agree. I was lucky and caught my car a couple of times before even thought I had the stability control on in wet damp conditions. Eventually my luck ran out and under no heavy acceleration, I lost the car completely because of my relative speed and shape of the road. The tires were at half their recommended tread life.
Yea, I tires are important, after all, there're the only piece of the vehicle that touches the ground..

I prematurely change my tires when they at like 3.5MM, the change wear-bar is like 1.8MM - in the name of safety.

I usually give away the half-worn tires to my friends who don't mind living on the edge, literally..

It might sound like OCD overkill but that split second when your vehicle regains control after you was sure you lost it, you'll realize all along that size does matter.

I use thing to measure the remaining tire depth, I suggest other so the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      12-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #185
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
Yea, I tires are important, after all, there're the only piece of the vehicle that touches the ground..

I prematurely change my tires when they at like 3.5MM, the change wear-bar is like 1.8MM - in the name of safety.

I usually give away the half-worn tires to my friends who don't mind living on the edge, literally..

It might sound like OCD overkill but that split second when your vehicle regains control after you was sure you lost it, you'll realize all along that size does matter.

I use thing to measure the remaining tire depth, I suggest other so the same.
I have this exact same gauge.

Ever since I aquaplaned off a track at 100mph on 50% worn Michelins and experienced 5 seconds of spinning in what felt like 60 seconds (time really does slow down in these situations) I've

A) been very wary of Michelins.
B) been very wary of Michelins.

I like the the Michelin tyres on the M2C very much. It doesn't seem to rain anymore in Australia though. This makes them great. When it rains I'm driving at the same speed as an old timer or millennial.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #186
RocketTR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:

I agree....but with the caveat that you need to be responsible on the roads. Personally, I'm not going to be responsible for colliding with another car because I felt like pushing it to the limit or beyond. I've been an SCCA member for a long time now and my opinion is that anyone with these ambitions should consider taking it to the track. It's the best way to learn the limits and makes you a better driver on the street too.
Appreciate 0