BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 crash - Owner warning

08-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #45
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Than would advise you not to play with the new feeling/behavior of the car, but to quickly change your tires for what ever brand of your choice
Yes indeed, that is the plan! For the moment our weather is very nice where i am at so I am riding my motorcycle most days. The M2 is only getting driven perhaps a few miles per week and it's mundane things like driving to the gym or the store for groceries; no spirited driving or driving in the rain until the tires are replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #46
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
Sorry for your lost.. M2C time?

I read there was an article that Michelin Super Sport tires which use to come stock on the M2 has been reported as the cause of many M2s losing control in Germany, especially when it's rainy. Insurance companies and government regulators even got involved..

That's why BMW switched to Continentals..
Not sure what you read or who the source was but this is totally wrong from my personal experience. I had MPSS tires on my 235i and they were fantastic in the rain. They were also super sticky on dry roads. My M2 came with the Contis and they were poor in the rain - so much so that they would hydroplane in moderate rainfalls. I now have the MP4S on my M2 and they are fantastic in the rain. We had torrential rain here in NYS over the weekend and they worked extremely well.
      08-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I read there was an article that Michelin Super Sport tires which use to come stock on the M2 has been reported as the cause of many M2s losing control in Germany, especially when it's rainy. Insurance companies and government regulators even got involved..
Can you please corroborate your statement with a reference to the article ?

Though I know a few things about the M2 and its development, I have never read anywhere what you state.

My M2 got Michelin PSS and later replaced with Michelin PS4S. Driven in all sorts of conditions + extensive driving in the mountains (including spirited driving) and pleased with their excellent road behavior. Never let me down.

"cause of many M2s losing control in Germany": hm, first better inquire about the driving mode at the moment of loss of control (SPORT+, DSC OFF, TC) and driving experience of the driver regarding high performance cars; subsequently take a closer look at the tires and how bald they were. Those who like to drift, inevitably leave significantly more rubber on the streets than those who drive in SPORT and COMFORT mode. And bald tires + rain + skills overestimation are often a recipe for trouble.
      08-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #48
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:

I read there was an article that Michelin Super Sport tires that use to come stock on the M2 has been reported as the cause of many M2s losing control in Germany, especially when it's rainy. That's why BMW switched to Continentals..
That's interesting, but The OP car had the Continentals. The pilot 4s's seem like the best choice for now, since both tires (Pilot SS & Conti's) are dated.

OP, Im sorry this happened to you.
Weird indeed. I know the Super Sport gets antsy when they're close to wearing out, spun my 135i 180 degree around a [COLOR="DarkRed"]regular[/COLOR] turn in the rain..

I'll try to find the article to what I was referring about the Super Sport tires on the M2..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eavy-rain.html
Unfortunately if f you spun out a 135 for a 180 degree turn the issue was not the tires it was your driving and your disabling of traction control...

Any car needs to be driven differently if you're driving on "worn" tires it's part of adjusting your driving for the situation!
A guy at work totaled his new Infiniti because he was driving on the highway in the rain on bald tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #49
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:

Not sure what you read or who the source was but this is totally wrong from my personal experience. I had MPSS tires on my 235i and they were fantastic in the rain. They were also super sticky on dry roads. My M2 came with the Contis and they were poor in the rain - so much so that they would hydroplane in moderate rainfalls. I now have the MP4S on my M2 and they are fantastic in the rain. We had torrential rain here in NYS over the weekend and they worked extremely well.
I was told my LCI got Contis due to BMW running out of stock with Michelin...
But really my aim is not to blame any tires brand, rather share a bad experience ... and warning M2 owners not too push the car when some parts are good for replacement... obvious you could say ... what we read about M2C being more powerfull is great ... M2 is already a monster to be well managed ... that is my take up
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #50
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Drive on a track, at track speeds for 10 to 15 minutes.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66
You can easily check if your tires are warmed up by using the onboard tire pressure monitor. It isn't exact but it will give you a ballpark idea of how warm they are. I have found that these tires have really different driving characteristics depending on air pressure. Even 2 pounds can make a huge difference, especially my old MPSS tires. The MPS 4S is a far superior tire, IMHO. The turn in on the 4S is more crisp with less roll over on the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:55 PM   #51
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
A guy at work totaled his new Infiniti because he was driving on the highway in the rain on bald tires.
I wonder why his new car had bald tires on it.
Appreciate 6
Stef56.50
Ian ///M491.00
champignon1565.50
Ramos861.00
B58togo807.00
      08-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #52
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I wonder why his new car had bald tires on it.
well new as in like about a year old. He likes to do burn outs and donuts. He does donuts in the parking lot at work....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #53
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
You can easily check if your tires are warmed up by using the onboard tire pressure monitor. It isn't exact but it will give you a ballpark idea of how warm they are. I have found that these tires have really different driving characteristics depending on air pressure. Even 2 pounds can make a huge difference, especially my old MPSS tires. The MPS 4S is a far superior tire, IMHO. The turn in on the 4S is more crisp with less roll over on the sidewall.
How do u meam? It just show green, but how would u know of they hot enough??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #54
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Yes, a car with even more power is clearly what he needs.
Absolutely

Power through it
      08-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Hi all owning or future owners of a M2! I have a story which I like to share, to avoid what I am so desesparate about will not happen to you.

So I bought a brand new M2 LCI last Dec which was delivered in Feb 2018, I had no intention to drive the car in winter(Switzerland) and left the car for several weeks in garage, car was equiped with Conti sp3. My brand new M2 was a third car, just bought for weekend drives, which I finally drove on mountain passes only. An the car was great, I drove through several all kind of passes in the Alps for more than 9000km.
Last sunday, one turn driving sport+, lost control at turn exit and could not bring back the car on road, hit badly small trees on the side ... as a result insurance expert declared the car full dammage, it was too expensive to repear it ... that is for the story

Now ... I am so pissed against mysekf that I thought I try to share some of my learnings for you M2 owner still enjoying your car;

1) Tires - just don't push them to the limit, as soon as 2mm from limit, go buy new ones !!!

2) Road conditions - the crash happened when it was very very hot, I got the info that road concrete swet amd becomes really slippery in this hot conditions

3) Power - The M2 is a very powerfull car that feels safe, but if you push it to the limit, just ensure you took lessons and calculate space to get it back if you loose the rear

Hope this will help
Sorry for your loss, but it's probably about you (too), the driver.

Invest in yourself as a driver of a powerful rwd car by attending (anti)skid events/safer fast driving events @ tracks and driftdays/schools.

Because number 1 and 3 are (easily) controllable if you have the(more) skills. Seriously!

Number 2 is a product of number 1 and 3 if you know what to do....

Anyway, thanks for the writeup and stay safe man!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
10"4967.50
      08-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #56
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

Please some more info about this isue, because afaik this is definitely NOT the case.
Fake news/nonsense is spreading very very rapidly, PSS is a very very good tyre with very good transitional properties in dry/and wet. It's the driver 99/100 times who is to blame.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 3
10"4967.50
///M TOWN16074.00
      08-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #57
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Someone lied to you. Michelin PSS > Contis that come on BMW. They didnt switch they use both after early production.
Appreciate 1
10"4967.50
      08-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #58
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

What tread depth do you guys normal switch out tires at? I know the official number here in PA for passing inspection is 2/32-inch or greater but I am sure most switch out earlier. On the Summer performance tires like the PSS it is pretty hard to get the measurement as the tires come with pretty shallow tread depth to begin with.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #59
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I don't remember if my car already had the temperature reading enabled or not on the TPMS screen when I got it, but you can definitely enable it via BimmerCode for sure.

Not sure how accurate it is, but it's extremely helpful, on the track and the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #60
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I don't remember if my car already had the temperature reading enabled or not on the TPMS screen when I got it, but you can definitely enable it via BimmerCode for sure.

Not sure how accurate it is, but it's extremely helpful, on the track and the street.
I take the readings with a grain of salt, but overall it is useful. On windy mountain roads on a hot day those babies get HOT! My tires will go from 35 to 42 lbs. and from 70 to 125 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #61
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

The poster asking is from Canada - we don't have TPMS on the M2 here, so this feature is disabled and not accessible unless you buy the sensors and enable it at the dealer (or e-sys)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:44 AM   #62
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovairdf87 View Post
Quote:

The poster asking is from Canada - we don't have TPMS on the M2 here, so this feature is disabled and not accessible unless you buy the sensors and enable it at the dealer (or e-sys)
Wow Canadians get hosed
      08-14-2018, 03:24 AM   #63
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Can you please corroborate your statement with a reference to the article ?

Though I know a few things about the M2 and its development, I have never read anywhere what you state.

My M2 got Michelin PSS and later replaced with Michelin PS4S. Driven in all sorts of conditions + extensive driving in the mountains (including spirited driving) and pleased with their excellent road behavior. Never let me down.

"cause of many M2s losing control in Germany": hm, first better inquire about the driving mode at the moment of loss of control (SPORT+, DSC OFF, TC) and driving experience of the driver regarding high performance cars; subsequently take a closer look at the tires and how bald they were. Those who like to drift, inevitably leave significantly more rubber on the streets than those who drive in SPORT and COMFORT mode. And bald tires + rain + skills overestimation are often a recipe for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

Someone lied to you. Michelin PSS > Contis that come on BMW. They didnt switch they use both after early production.
Hey guys, I was watching a YouTube video on the M2 and in the comment section someone mentioned it. After some researched, I saw the Pilot Super Sport is being phased out on a few cars for reasons unknown. That and all M2 crashes I'm hearing about in rainy weather..

I know from personal experience the PSS gets dangerously slippery when it's close to being worn and the tarmac is wet, as I previous mentioned. Not trying to trash them, there're currently my favorite tire until I could afford some PS4 but I will change them when they are reasonably worn, in the name of safety.

Wasn't trying to mislead.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #64
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Hey guys, I was watching a YouTube video on the M2 and in the comment section someone mentioned it. After some researched, I saw the Pilot Super Sport is being phased out on a few cars for reasons unknown. That and all M2 crashes I'm hearing about in rainy weather..
I know from personal experience the PSS gets dangerously slippery when it's close to being worn and the tarmac is wet, as I previous mentioned. Not trying to trash them, there're currently my favorite tire until I could afford some PS4 but I will change them when they are reasonably worn, in the name of safety.
Wasn't trying to mislead.
So what do we got here ? A guy had a mishap with his M2 when driving in SPORT+ (thus some nannies deactivated) on "slippery curves". They told him that it was to be blamed on his tires (likely to make him feel better that it was neither about his driving skills nor bad judgment of driving with worn out or 'glazed' tires on slippery roads) + the conspiracy theory suggestion that Michelin replaced the PSS with PS4S because the PSS had allegedly (unreported) issues under certain circumstances.

I hope that this guy never becomes a scientist or media mogul.
      08-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #65
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
So what do we got here ? A guy had a mishap with his M2 when driving in SPORT+ (thus some nannies deactivated) on "slippery curves". They told him that it was to be blamed on his tires (likely to make him feel better that it was neither about his driving skills nor bad judgment of driving with worn out or 'glazed' tires on slippery roads) + the conspiracy theory suggestion that Michelin replaced the PSS with PS4S because the PSS had allegedly (unreported) issues under certain circumstances.

I hope that this guy never becomes a scientist or media mogul.
I do remember an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson aquaplaned off in a BMW whilst driving in a straight line.

I also vividly remember aquaplaning off a track at 160km/h in a straight line under no acceleration in my e36 M3 with Michelins. Hence my hatred of them in another thread but I’ve been assured they are better now. Luckily I went off in the infield and the only casuality was, ironically, a Michelin. Talk about time standing still though. The whole thing took a couple of seconds, but in the car it felt like two minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #66
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

michline PSS are amazing in the rain

yes I have many years of experiences with them.

any tires you push in the rain you will crash
simple