08-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
ok whats the best way to get em warmed up
Drive on a track, at track speeds for 10 to 15 minutes.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:00 AM   #24
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Oh läck das tuet mer so leid für dich. Hoffe Dir isch suscht nüt schlimms passiert??

Oh mann.....

Und das isch i sport+ passiert? Nöd MDM oder DSC OFF??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #25
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow thats rough
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #26
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Sport + no DSC off
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #27
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
How hot was it?? Round 35 degrees?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #28
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

-I drive it daly and its +/- 46’c ( today is 49) here; never been surprised by the car, i mean i get what i ask from the car that means that all your inputs must be thought and try to make your excitement under control, one have to know his horse before riding.
-Happy that you are safe and passengers too.
PS: maybe this will make you laugh but i have some shoes i prefer among other to drive my little beast, shoses are important too
Appreciate 2
Corinne1171.00
M-Supra394.50
      08-12-2018, 06:02 AM   #29
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Hi all owning or future owners of a M2! I have a story which I like to share, to avoid what I am so desesparate about will not happen to you.

So I bought a brand new M2 LCI last Dec which was delivered in Feb 2018, I had no intention to drive the car in winter(Switzerland) and left the car for several weeks in garage, car was equiped with Conti sp3. My brand new M2 was a third car, just bought for weekend drives, which I finally drove on mountain passes only. An the car was great, I drove through several all kind of passes in the Alps for more than 9000km.
Last sunday, one turn driving sport+, lost control at turn exit and could not bring back the car on road, hit badly small trees on the side ... as a result insurance expert declared the car full dammage, it was too expensive to repear it ... that is for the story

Now ... I am so pissed against mysekf that I thought I try to share some of my learnings for you M2 owner still enjoying your car;

1) Tires - just don't push them to the limit, as soon as 2mm from limit, go buy new ones !!!

2) Road conditions - the crash happened when it was very very hot, I got the info that road concrete swet amd becomes really slippery in this hot conditions

3) Power - The M2 is a very powerfull car that feels safe, but if you push it to the limit, just ensure you took lessons and calculate space to get it back if you loose the rear

Hope this will help
For your own benefit; most of the time mistakes like this are due to driver error not inherent issues with the cars or tires. I realize you're probably upset but the car isn't the issue...it's a good time for you to improve yourself as a driver.

Until then it's best to keep traction control on for the street. I realize YouTube videos make everyone think that going into highest setting and disabling traction control is something noble and easy but the reality is that only in the right setting/location with some experience driving the car is this the optimal way to drive...
      08-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #30
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
Sorry for your lost.. M2C time?

I read there was an article that Michelin Super Sport tires that use to come stock on the M2 has been reported as the cause of many M2s losing control in Germany, especially when it's rainy. That's why BMW switched to Continentals..
That's interesting, but The OP car had the Continentals. The pilot 4s's seem like the best choice for now, since both tires (Pilot SS & Conti's) are dated.

OP, Im sorry this happened to you.
Weird indeed. I know the Super Sport gets antsy when they're close to wearing out, spun my 135i 180 degree around a [COLOR="DarkRed"]regular[/COLOR] turn in the rain..

I'll try to find the article to what I was referring about the Super Sport tires on the M2..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eavy-rain.html
Unfortunately if f you spun out a 135 for a 180 degree turn the issue was not the tires it was your driving and your disabling of traction control...

Any car needs to be driven differently if you're driving on "worn" tires it's part of adjusting your driving for the situation!
      08-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #31
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Drive on a track, at track speeds for 10 to 15 minutes.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=66

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #32
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
it's not the tires. it's the very torquey car and the driver was not able to handle it. it may be a "base" M2 but it still packs 370lb/tq on tap. you need to respect your toy.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #33
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
So the questions then are:

- age of driver?
- how many years experience with rwd cars?
- how many years experience with powerfull cars?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #34
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

OP, glad to hear you are alright. I can relate to how hot the area gets during summer and the mountain passes are gorgeous yet treacherous.

Wishing you speedy recovery from this ordeal.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #35
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
it's not the tires. it's the very torquey car and the driver was not able to handle it. it may be a "base" M2 but it still packs 370lb/tq on tap. you need to respect your toy.
It may not have been the tires that caused the OP's crash but I can tell you without hesitation that the PS 4's are a much better tire all the way around but *especially* in the rain than the SS's.

I got my car w/ 3500 miles on the clock - inherited the SS's - drove it in the rain a few times and I was like - WTF is wrong w/ this car.

Started to research a better alternative - spoke w/ Rudy at the TireRack - recommended the PS4's which I switched out at 6500 miles.

1st time I drove in a rainstorm - there was a huge difference - no more hydroplaning.

Now have 12K miles on the car - drove in the rain recently and zero problems - all the above in Sport mode.

I'm just trying to help here but, the SS's in the rain are dangerous imo.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #36
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Happy that you are safe, question: are you sure that car have to be destroyed? How much are you selling the damaged car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #37
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
It may not have been the tires that caused the OP's crash but I can tell you without hesitation that the PS 4's are a much better tire all the way around but *especially* in the rain than the SS's.

I got my car w/ 3500 miles on the clock - inherited the SS's - drove it in the rain a few times and I was like - WTF is wrong w/ this car.

Started to research a better alternative - spoke w/ Rudy at the TireRack - recommended the PS4's which I switched out at 6500 miles.

1st time I drove in a rainstorm - there was a huge difference - no more hydroplaning.

Now have 12K miles on the car - drove in the rain recently and zero problems - all the above in Sport mode.

of course different purpose tires make things better for their own purposes. but at the end of the day, it's the person who controls the throttle. you won't go WOT in a snowy day just because you have snow tires would you? for example most accidents on the snowy roads i see are caused by 4x4 SUVs. people think they are safe because the cars come with certain safety features. at the end of the day, laws of physics still applies.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 2
10"4946.00
champignon1562.00
      08-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #38
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post

Dunno what you are talking about. PSS are NOT dangerous in the rain. PSS are widely known to be one of the best all around summer tires around. Have driven at least 40,000 miles on PSS tires on my 1M and can only say good things about them...even on a car as aggressive as mine. Never once an issue in the rain or otherwise. The PS2s I tried on the other hand; were not so good!

PS4S are surely good but only minimally better by all accounts. They are merely a refinement of the already fantastic PSS.
Dabozo624.50
B58togo805.50
      08-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #39
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
Happy that you are safe, question: are you sure that car have to be destroyed? How much are you selling the damaged car?

Thanks
Well, car was checked by BMW + insurance experts who declared car in full damage, insurance reimburse 95% of purchased amount, becomes owner and sells the car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #40
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
So the questions then are:

- age of driver?
- how many years experience with rwd cars?
- how many years experience with powerfull cars?
Many years experience, 10k km past driving my M2 in mountain passes prior the accident, I know how to drive and I can only blame myself for sure, just I would now for sure change my used tires before end time to keep the car feeling like when it was new and safe!
At least for the conti, the grip become less good very quicky (matter of few km) at the end of their life...
Appreciate 2
///M Houbi1653.00
      08-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #41
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Last sunday, one turn driving sport+, lost control at turn exit and could not bring back the car on road, hit badly small trees on the side ... as a result insurance expert declared the car full dammage, it was too expensive to repear it ... that is for the story
Sorry to hear about the mishap. In the end it's just sheet metal that can be replaced. What matters is that you walked away unharmed and likely learn from this unfortunate experience.

So you describe that the car went oversteer when exiting a turn. Before spinning off the road into the bushes, did the car violently 'snap' or was it just a sliding that you could no longer recover.

Though you'll never know, do you think that "SPORT" mode (all nannies active) would have saved you from harm, unlike "SPORT+" (some nannies inactive), or do you think that it was to no avail anyway because of the dynamics (at some speed with certain road conditions, no skills, nannies and/or luck can save you anymore from safely exiting a turn - Laws of Nature at play).
      08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #42
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
At least for the conti, the grip become less good very quicky (matter of few km) at the end of their life...
That is absolutely true of the Contis. Many here have reported that and I too can confirm from personal experience that they become noticeably more slippery as they age. I have 8,000 miles on mine and they are near end of life. Tread depth is OK still but the rubber itself has changed as they no longer have the grip (wet or dry) that they once had.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #43
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the mishap. In the end it's just sheet metal that can be replaced. What matters is that you walked away unharmed and likely learn from this unfortunate experience.

So you describe that the car went oversteer when exiting a turn. Before spinning off the road into the bushes, did the car violently 'snap' or was it just a sliding that you could no longer recover.

Though you'll never know, do you think that "SPORT" mode (all nannies active) would have saved you from harm, unlike "SPORT+" (some nannies inactive), or do you think that it was to no avail anyway because of the dynamics (at some speed with certain road conditions, no skills, nannies and/or luck can save you anymore from safely exiting a turn - Laws of Nature at play).
I always drove sport+, potentially sport can be an option for less risks, but that was not my point, no doubts it is the driver responsibility, but the car always felt pretty safe/with good grip till that point ...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #44
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
That is absolutely true of the Contis. Many here have reported that and I too can confirm from personal experience that they become noticeably more slippery as they age. I have 8,000 miles on mine and they are near end of life. Tread depth is OK still but the rubber itself has changed as they no longer have the grip (wet or dry) that they once had.
Than would advise you not to play with the new feeling/behavior of the car, but to quickly change your tires for what ever brand of your choice
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00