BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Any 6MT owners tried this new shifter bushing setup?

11-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #23
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Update: had the original factory front carrier bushings put back in, left the Turner rear carrier bushing in.

Summary: Vastly less noise now, but louder than stock. The Turner part gives a very solid shift feel, with only slightly more flexiness than when the solid front bushings were also in place. Almost none of that rubbery stock shifter feeling any more, which was the whole point of swapping out the bushing(s) in the first place. I feel the same way DrKevM5 does: great value.

Read on for more detail:

With both the solid front and rear carrier bushings, I'm pretty certain that I was hearing every noise coming from inside the gearbox. There were different whining noises: one that varied in proportion to road speed, and another that varied in proportion to engine speed.

Also, there was a rattle at idle in neutral. This was probably some kind of bearing in the transmission and/or clutch doing its natural thing. You can hear that with the stock setup, but it's very subtle. And each shift sounded like someone smacking two giant billiard balls together.

That level of noise would be perfectly OK in a track-only car. In fact, hearing all that extra gear noise would probably give very useful on-track feedback about speeds in gears, transmission health, and all that good stuff. But this is my DD, and I don't want a noise floor that high just driving around town. Wimpy. I know.

With only the Turner bushing (back on topic finally) the noise level is still noticeably higher than stock. But it's not unacceptable IMHO. I had a Dinan mid-pipe installed at the same time as the front and rear shifter bushings, and I couldn't hear much difference in the exhaust note because of all the gear whine etc. Now I can hear that there is a definite improvement in exhaust tone with the Dinan mid-pipe.

All the gear whine is still there, but far more subdued than when the solid front bushings were in place. IMHO it's acceptable now even though it's noisier than stock. I'll keep the stock rear bushing and bracket just in case I change my mind later. Shift action is still quite a bit noisier than stock because of that louder "clack" on each shift.

The net effect of the Turner rear shifter bushing is a more solid shift feel at the expense of additional noise. But I recommend keeping the stock front shifter carrier bushings if your M2 is your daily driver.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #24
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Update: had the original factory front carrier bushings put back in, left the Turner rear carrier bushing in.

Summary: Vastly less noise now, but louder than stock. The Turner part gives a very solid shift feel, with only slightly more flexiness than when the solid front bushings were also in place. Almost none of that rubbery stock shifter feeling any more, which was the whole point of swapping out the bushing(s) in the first place. I feel the same way DrKevM5 does: great value.

Read on for more detail:

With both the solid front and rear carrier bushings, I'm pretty certain that I was hearing every noise coming from inside the gearbox. There were different whining noises: one that varied in proportion to road speed, and another that varied in proportion to engine speed.

Also, there was a rattle at idle in neutral. This was probably some kind of bearing in the transmission and/or clutch doing its natural thing. You can hear that with the stock setup, but it's very subtle. And each shift sounded like someone smacking two giant billiard balls together.

That level of noise would be perfectly OK in a track-only car. In fact, hearing all that extra gear noise would probably give very useful on-track feedback about speeds in gears, transmission health, and all that good stuff. But this is my DD, and I don't want a noise floor that high just driving around town. Wimpy. I know.

With only the Turner bushing (back on topic finally) the noise level is still noticeably higher than stock. But it's not unacceptable IMHO. I had a Dinan mid-pipe installed at the same time as the front and rear shifter bushings, and I couldn't hear much difference in the exhaust note because of all the gear whine etc. Now I can hear that there is a definite improvement in exhaust tone with the Dinan mid-pipe.

All the gear whine is still there, but far more subdued than when the solid front bushings were in place. IMHO it's acceptable now even though it's noisier than stock. I'll keep the stock rear bushing and bracket just in case I change my mind later. Shift action is still quite a bit noisier than stock because of that louder "clack" on each shift.

The net effect of the Turner rear shifter bushing is a more solid shift feel at the expense of additional noise. But I recommend keeping the stock front shifter carrier bushings if your M2 is your daily driver.
I have the rear bushing inbound. Will report back once installed.
Thanks for ur feedback.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      11-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Thanks for your review, I'll take that into consideration when I get myself a set.

Personally I really like the gear whine, so I'm probably going to get the entire set lol.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      11-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
OK, but be warned: I had the PowerFlex polyurethane front carrier bushings installed, and the NVH skyrocketed. Sure, the shift action is crisper and there's no more rubberiness. But I can hear massive gear whine and driveline lash that were inaudible before. So I'm going to have the stock bushings put back in. It's my DD, not a track-only weapon.

I also had the Turner rear shifter carrier bushing installed (linked to by the OP), and I think I'll leave it in place. Apparently there's little or no NVH increase.

Here are some links:

https://powerflexusa.com/bmwshifterc...hingsoval.aspx

https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-transmis...ring-pff5-4631

Anyone: please let me know if the Turner part also creates extra noise.
If so, I'll ask my local independent shop to replace it with the stock bushing tomorrow.
I'm not sure if this part will replace the same bushing as the powerflex one you link does, because I'm not too familiar with the setup on the m2. but Turner also sells this part which is a front carrier arm bushing.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...r-arm-bushing/

It's a 70A rubber instead of powerflex's 90a so maybe it'll be soft enough to eliminate the crazy increase in noise, but hard enough to porivde an even better shift feel.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      04-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I'm not sure if this part will replace the same bushing as the powerflex one you link does, because I'm not too familiar with the setup on the m2. but Turner also sells this part which is a front carrier arm bushing.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...r-arm-bushing/

It's a 70A rubber instead of powerflex's 90a so maybe it'll be soft enough to eliminate the crazy increase in noise, but hard enough to porivde an even better shift feel.
The link you posted states that the part does not fit the F87. Doing a search pulls up the following part:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...ifter-bushings

Anyone have experience with this bushing?

S
1997 200SX SE-R - sold
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #28
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

I’m going with both front and rear def not afraid of a little noise. These cars are way too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #29
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
I was going to go with the Turner rear bushing, but decided to replace the whole shifter assembly with a Autosolutions Short Shifter. $80 for one bushing vs $450 for a whole new shifter, which will tighten up the whole shifter assembly. The new shifter assembly consists of 2 Poly bushings with brass inserts that connect the front of the shifter arm to the transmission (unsprung weight).It also has a new shifter and bushing in the shifter arm. The rear bushing is reinstalled (sprung weight), which is attached to underside of the body.

Last edited by chief1richard; 02-15-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
Hoverdog
It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m2 Black Shadow

I finally got around to installing the Turner rear bushing (bought it a year ago). It took some work to get access but not too bad. You may be able to get away with unbolting just the heat shield and bending it out of the way. I chose to remove the large panel under the gearbox too. The two 8mm bolts holding the bushing require a 12 point socket but I was able to use a 6 point with no problem. They were not too tight (I think they're aluminum alloy).

With that, the shifts are much crisper, with none of the rubbery feeling. If you compared the old to the new bushing, you'll see why. The old bushing is made of a very soft rubber that seems designed to reduce noise more than serve as a mounting point.

When in neutral, there is noise that sounds like marbles rolling around inside the gear box, but that goes away when everything's warmed up. During shifting, there is a noticeable click-clack that lets you know there is now a solid connection between the shifter and the gearbox. You can actually feel the gears sliding into place.

With this and the Ultimate Clutch Pedal, I'm now in shifter heaven. I enjoy it so much that I beg for stop and go traffic. For about 90 bucks, it's the biggest bang for the buck. Do it!
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #31
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

So I'm not clear on what this parts does. Reduce side to side play or front to back play or none of the above?

The gearbox is noisier ?

I sometimes think my MT is really great other times a bit rubbery! Bolt action gated R8 style would be sweet
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:19 AM   #32
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
So I'm not clear on what this parts does. Reduce side to side play or front to back play or none of the above?

The gearbox is noisier ?

I sometimes think my MT is really great other times a bit rubbery! Bolt action gated R8 style would be sweet
It replaces the front mounting of the cradle (part 5, called the shifting arm in the attached link) that the shift lever (part 7) pivots in. The rear mounting is attached via more bushings to the gearbox casing. The shifting arm provides a means to isolate transmission noise and movement the from interior.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=25_0572

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-04-2021 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #33
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Odd. After sitting for a month, the gearshift felt better than I remembered it. Noting that mine had the clutch replaced under warranty as it wasn't releasing properly, it has always felt better if I don't force it - both for a single shift, and for some time afterwards. The parts are common across the M2/3/4, while the bushings used are used across most of the range.

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-04-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:23 AM   #34
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Maybe 20 min. Removing the heat shield takes the most time. Exhaust blocks access a little.
Replaced my transmission fluid today and was thinking of doing this too but i couldn't see where it is. I guess it's all hidden behind the aluminum heat shield? So just remove those 8mm hex holding the shield, fold it out and i should see it?

Does anyone know of a video posting of this work?
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #35
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Try this:
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #36
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Thanks man. Yup that helps for sure. Looks like it may take me an hour to do that and not 20 mins.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:58 AM   #37
Tes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have it installed since the summer. I personally love it. I have it with a M perf shifter (sort of a rip off but I bought it second hand so it was ok). Definitely a noticeable difference and personally and it is a lot less "rubbery".

In terms of the installation it was very easy like the TLG video mentioned. The hardest part of the install was removing the heat shield turkey tray thing. And it wasn't even that hard just bend it so it slides out and then bend it back when you install. Took me about 30 minutes to install not very hard at all!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #38
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Turner bushing: I’ve followed what the above video says on sliding that aluminum head shield into the rear HS. Shifting the aluminum bracket to the side. Works. Everything was a breeze except putting that passenger side torx bolt that’s holding the bushing. Tough getting it in for some reason coz it wasn’t aligning right for some reason. THAT took a while for me coz I wanted to be certain it’s aligned and not cross threaded. Of course the fact that it's partly being covered by the driveshaft didn't help. I didn't want to end up removing the driveshaft to fix a crossed thread.

Started the car, reversed out of my garage and I can feel the difference right away. Ka-tzAK ka-tzAK. It sounds and feels firmer that’s for sure. It’s definitely less rubbery. I’d say it’s at least 20-30% better. Definitely worth the cost & effort IMO. I wonder if that PU would eventually loosen and become rattle-ly.

If you’re the type that like a silent shifting though then this might not be for you. You can hear the shifting more. Like I said ka-tzAK!

Last edited by vrooooom; 12-11-2021 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #39
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

I had to bring my car into my shop as had some rattling etc. with my EL mid pipe so while there I had them install the Turner rear shifter bushing. Initial impression is very good with less slop and the 1st to 2nd shift which is never consistent is just better so that is a surprise. And I concur with Vroooom it has that "ka-tzak sound lol.. AutoSolutions shifter is on the future mod list so the combo of the 2 should add to the overall experience.
Appreciate 0