BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Driving modes (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, MDM & DSC OFF)

08-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #67
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I feel the same way. They're might be a way with a flash tune to force sport throttle in every mode or sport shifting in every mode. Pretty sure you can do the throttle mapping at least. Then traction/MDM mode would have what you want because it uses sport shifting if you're picking the gears yourself.
Anyone know if it’s possible to code in Sport throttle permanently? I feel it’s closest to old fashioned cable accelerator but I want MDM as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #68
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
At least for the OG M2, DSC off gives you "sport" throttle mapping, not "comfort". There's a handy chart from BMW which shows that. You can also confirm it by switching between modes.

I agree totally with you about "sport+", it's useless for anything other than roasting tires.
Thanks for the tip!

I guess with DSC off, BMW expects us to be good enough to handle a little instability and to appreciate the quick throttle response. Eventually I'll run with DSC off on track. (Maybe at Laguna Seca next week.)

P.S. And yes, "Sport+" throttle is just there to impress customers on test drives. Not good for your clutch, unless you have an ultra-light setting on your right foot (if 6MT).
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #69
UnknownKnown
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Does this chart apply to the M1/M2 buttons?

For example, MDM sets the throttle response to "Comfort".

But I can have M1 be with MDM and throttle response set to "Sport+". Does the M buttons override the rules on the chart?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #70
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownKnown View Post
Does this chart apply to the M1/M2 buttons?

For example, MDM sets the throttle response to "Comfort".

But I can have M1 be with MDM and throttle response set to "Sport+". Does the M buttons override the rules on the chart?
The chart I think is for the n55 m2 not m2c.

That said I believe the m1 and m2 buttons are just to store your preferred settings on one button unless you say you don't want a setting to override. So if you set m1 to mdm on, fastest shift, slowest throttle response, comfort steering, then that's exactly what you get when you press it.

If you set m2 button to DSC off, medium shift, don't override throttle, and don't override steering then it will set the settings you chose an not override your current settings for the ones you said don't override. So if it was in sport steering then it will stay in it, if it was in comfort steering it won't change when you hit m2.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #71
evonick
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

What I don't understand, is what the table means by Chassis. Since the M2 doesn't have adjustable suspension, what does Chassis mean? Iow, apart from DSC/MDM stuff, does the Sport button do *anything* except change the throttle map?

Btw I have a manual car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #72
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by evonick View Post
What I don't understand, is what the table means by Chassis. Since the M2 doesn't have adjustable suspension, what does Chassis mean? Iow, apart from DSC/MDM stuff, does the Sport button do *anything* except change the throttle map?

Btw I have a manual car.
Yes.. increases the engine sound, pops, and crackles.. And of course, it quickens the throttle mapping for a more responsive ride.. In this car 'chassis' would refer to the steering, which you can make stiffer if you choose.
      06-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #73
DCrew
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
What modes and situations cause the exhaust flap to open?
I'm bumping this post because I'd like to know the answer to this too. Anyone know? My exhaust sounds the same regardless of modes while idling, so wondering if it's working right or it is designed to open only under certain conditions.
Cheers -
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 06:21 AM   #74
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrew View Post
I'm bumping this post because I'd like to know the answer to this too. Anyone know? My exhaust sounds the same regardless of modes while idling, so wondering if it's working right or it is designed to open only under certain conditions.
Cheers -
Put the car in Comfort Mode and turn the DSC off which will open the exhaust fully.

Go to a parking garage - drive to about 3K RPM in 1st gear - let off the gas and...
You will hear a glorious sound.

Do the same in Sport Plus and you'll hear the difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #75
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:
Cheers -
Put the car in Comfort Mode and turn the DSC off which will open the exhaust fully.

Go to a parking garage - drive to about 3K RPM in 1st gear - let off the gas and...
You will hear a glorious sound.

Do the same in Sport Plus and you'll hear the difference.
The modes are exclusive and can't be combined. There's no comfort mode AND something else.

Activating MDM mode with a quick press of of the DSC button will make the exhaust pop more, but it can't be combined with anything.

The only exception really is sport mode can configure the tightness of the steering wheel and reduced throttle response.

M2C On the other hand offers more ways to configure things like shift speed etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #76
DCrew
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I should have been more specific. Let’s set aside traction mode — I hear no difference between comfort, sport, and sport+. Are there specific throttle or driving conditions where the baffles open in sport and sport+? Thanks —
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #77
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
I should have been more specific. Let’s set aside traction mode — I hear no difference between comfort, sport, and sport+. Are there specific throttle or driving conditions where the baffles open in sport and sport+? Thanks —
AFAIK, the biggest audible difference is more lift-off burbling as you increase the sportiness of the setting.
Also I think the muffler is bypassed (flaps open?) for more noise in Sport and Sport+. Not sure though.

My guess is that this is not just to make the car sound cooler, but to also make the throttle response
quicker if you lift briefly to counter steer, then get right back on the throttle. The fuel keeps flowing
for a second or two so the engine is still ready for the next throttle press, and that extra fuel explodes
in the exhaust system. So you get the throttle-off burble. And immediate power within the first inch of throttle
pedal travel.

All of which makes the car livelier and more fun. Fine and good at low to medium speeds.
But if you're really pushing it at the limit in a fast turn, you probably don't want twitchy hair-trigger
throttle response. All the driving instructors and racers say you're supposed to gradually apply power as you
hit the apex and track out so you don't transfer too much weight off the front tires and plow or - more likely -
kick the rear end out because you've exceeded the rear tires' traction limit.

I'm thinking "Traction Mode" uses the Comfort throttle mapping because of that. Makes the car feel
sluggish on the road, but makes it smoother and more controllable on the track. You can maintain traction
more easily at the limit.

Just my $0.02.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #78
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Sorry but Comfort is for Pu$$ies...Yes I've had a few so please indulge me
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:08 AM   #79
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

So what's the most extreme setting.... Sport + w/ the DSC long press?

With Comfort and DSC (short press) is MDM.... that's just Comfort but w/ the noises? What if you have the MPE and you had that open? Same thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #80
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post

With Comfort and DSC (short press) is MDM.... that's just Comfort but w/ the noises? What if you have the MPE and you had that open? Same thing?
No, you're not understanding here.

Each thing is basically its own mode, on an N55 / OG car.
Comfort
Sport (you can configure "engine" [throttle], "chassis" [steering weight] or "both", via the iDrive)
Sport+
DSC short press AKA "Traction"
DSC long press AKA "ESC OFF"

"The most extreme" depends on what you mean... noise? Throttle response? Amount of slip allowed?

The MPE behaves entirely independent of the modes (which is different from what happens with the stock exhaust). MPE gets its flaps opened or shut by the bluetooth controller. Stock exhaust (which only has a single flap, on the left side of the car) has the flap controlled by the ECU, and the flap opens and closes at different points in the rev range depending on engine load and what mode you're in.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:20 PM   #81
Angelanadine
Driving Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I hope this is the right place to post my question, but:

I drive my M2C in Sport Mode. Really don’t care for the automatic Rev matching. Is there any way to turn off the artificial rev matching without just fully disabling the traction control and various other ‘nannies’ completely? I prefer having the safety mechanisms engaged, I just really don’t want the rev matching.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #82
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I think you meant “automatic” and not “artificial”. Coz that is not artificial, it’s real rev matching.

In my case I love it. I have read a few posts of people not wanting it also but sorry I have not read (or just don't recall) any on how it can be deactivated. Myb others can chime in.

Last edited by vrooooom; 01-17-2022 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #83
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelanadine View Post
I hope this is the right place to post my question, but:

I drive my M2C in Sport Mode. Really don’t care for the automatic Rev matching. Is there any way to turn off the artificial rev matching without just fully disabling the traction control and various other ‘nannies’ completely? I prefer having the safety mechanisms engaged, I just really don’t want the rev matching.

TIA
not through the car itself. possibly through some after market software/tune.....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #84
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

DSC long press puts the car back in comfort. you can't be in sport + with traction all off. Its a point of contention among all 2 series owners. Possibly something that will be changed on the G87
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 06:14 PM   #85
Angelanadine
Driving Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
not through the car itself. possibly through some after market software/tune.....
Any specific recommendations? Thanks
      02-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #86
Angelanadine
Driving Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
I think you meant “automatic” and not “artificial”. Coz that is not artificial, it’s real rev matching.

In my case I love it. I have read a few posts of people not wanting it also but sorry I have not read (or just don't recall) any on how it can be deactivated. Myb others can chime in.
Yes, absolutely meant automatic, not artificial, thanks for catching that.
      04-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #87
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelanadine View Post
Any specific recommendations? Thanks
I think you can through Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #88
mrandoms
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2 comp

Anyone find the sport+ throttle map too "on/off" for track use? Are there any throttle tuning options?
Appreciate 0