BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ♛ OFFICIAL ♛ HEX Tuning BMW ///M2 ECU Software Release

Closed Thread

03-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #265
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Yes - hi flow inlet is worthwhile IMHO - I had Pure hi flow inlet pipe on my M135i EWG - see post #34 below - taken from this bimmerpost thread.

Also photo below shows OE bore v Pure Hi flo bore

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=34

Hence, based on my experience with fettling my M135i's intake, my plan for my M2's intake is :-

OEM intake with AFE dry drop in + ER CP and TIC pipes + Pure hi flow pure and then either wagner evo 2 comp or CSF FMIC.
Yeah supposedly the stock inlet pipe (seeing how thick it is) kinda "blocks" the compressor wheel of the turbo...

Definitely a worthwhile mod! Thanks for the picture.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 02:27 AM   #266
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
Yeah supposedly the stock inlet pipe (seeing how thick it is) kinda "blocks" the compressor wheel of the turbo...

Thanks for the picture.
NP.

For info the M2 stock inlet pipe is same OE part number as early F series N55 PWG's - with smaller compressor wheel - hence the smaller bore than later EWG N55's

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1972 View Post
Would nice to have a diy on the inlet..
Post # 23 helped me a lot plus I swapped out CP and TIC pipes & upgraded FMIC on my M135i all at the same time so made install easier/less fiddly.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=23

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
NO_USER_537.50
      03-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #267
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Gts style startup?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:31 AM   #268
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
I went through the same process - brand new cheap laptop straight out of the box, pulled the data from my ECU and saved the files, then had to go looking really hard to find them to upload them to VF on their form.

FWIW, they send back a stock file (that you flash first) and the tune file. I'm pretty sure the stock file is the one you flash back to if you want to uninstall the tune - I'm out of town but I'll be flashing when I'm home this weekend.
Thanks, they gave me that stock file and said to flash first, would have been nice to have a little more information in the email given how much hassle the first steps were but your post helps quite a bit. Might give them a call tomorrow before I finish the install to make sure I am not missing any steps.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #269
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I was a little nervous as to whether I was doing it right, but it worked out fine. If you have questions, definitely give them a call. Mike was pretty responsive by email.

Got to say I’m happy with the tune so far after a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #270
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalaudio View Post
Gts style startup?
I'm interested in this too, but can't find clips of an M2 with the Hex GTS Style Startup.

On a side note, has anyone come from the Dinan Sport Tuner to this? I understand the power and tuning will be much more consistent and reliable with this setup as many parameters are altered vs. a simple boost controller.

That being said, I'm curious as to the power increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #271
///cbrash
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
I'm interested in this too, but can't find clips of an M2 with the Hex GTS Style Startup.

On a side note, has anyone come from the Dinan Sport Tuner to this? I understand the power and tuning will be much more consistent and reliable with this setup as many parameters are altered vs. a simple boost controller.

That being said, I'm curious as to the power increase.
I made a video somewhere in this thread with the start up.

I also had the dinan sport tuner for a couple weeks. I really didnt like it, it was super jerky and inconsistent (with the DCT). Power feels stronger because its much more linear.
      03-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #272
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351 View Post
Finally had a break in the weather, the snow melted and the streets pretty much salt free from yesterday's rain. So I finally had a chance to take my Stage 2 Hex tune (AA Intercooler, and charge pipe, Fabspeed 200 cell DP) for a whirl. Love it, drives like stock until you mash the peddle and all hell breaks loose. Gobs of power, all kinds of insane burbles dribbling out the tips of my MPE. Will be adding a turbo inlet pipe when I have the time, the M2 is a screamer now. Thanks VFE!
Hey man apologies if I’ve asked you this before... but curious to know why you run a catted DP instead of catless, considering you’ve now tuned your car (and presumably accepted whatever warranty risks that brings with it)..why not run catless for the extra sound+performance?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #273
DrAnzo2.0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Hey man apologies if I’ve asked you this before... but curious to know why you run a catted DP instead of catless, considering you’ve now tuned your car (and presumably accepted whatever warranty risks that brings with it)..why not run catless for the extra sound+performance?
Catless offers a small power bump over a 200 CEL cat, and adds the issue of smell and extra pollution. I wanted my M2 to remained somewhat refined as it is a BMW, and decided against catless.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      03-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #274
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAnzo2.0 View Post
Catless offers a small power bump over a 200 CEL cat, and adds the issue of smell and extra pollution. I wanted my M2 to remained somewhat refined as it is a BMW, and decided against catless.
What is pollution?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #275
dcmac
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAnzo2.0 View Post
Interesting, wouldn’t have picked that as the reason but can understand it for sure. Re the smell that running catless brings.. how bad are we talking?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #276
RedCarrot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:

Interesting, wouldn’t have picked that as the reason but can understand it for sure. Re the smell that running catless brings.. how bad are we talking?
Bad enough others don't want to be near your car when it is running. You will smell it to when window is down and you are stationary, say, stopped at a light.

You know how every gym has one or two big dudes that not only sweat a lot but have a really bad body odor when they do... and everyone else would either turn their head and/or move away when they are within proximity? Catless would be equivalent of those dudes... over 3-5 hp
'00 S2000 (2000-2005)
Appreciate 1
///cbrash226.50
      03-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #277
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
Basically because the catted Fabspeed doesn't cause a check engine light, and less importantly eases my social conscious. I have a catted DP on my 135i and that cat causes a CEL, had to use 02 simulators to get past that. I do have a JB4 on that car, and am aware I can run auto clear to eliminate the CEL, but the problem is when you go for annual inspection the auto clear mode deletes all history in the ECU and the memory can't be read, since there is none to read. So that's why I use the 200 cell Fabspeed DP. Believe me the sound is there in spades. I typically don'r rack up enough miles to have issues with warranty and my dealer service department consists of enthusiasts who work with me if there was to be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #278
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It’s not bad at all...

You smell it very little at a stop light (depends on the wind), if at all.

Doesn’t bother most, including myself.

The sound and low cost is worth it imo...bonus power bump over 200 cell.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #279
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
What is pollution?
I'm hardly a tree hugger, but I have a pretty big ethical issue going catless. Not sure how much worse for the environment a sport cat is over stock, but going catless, especially with that attitude, seems pretty selfish for a couple of ponies. I'm all for more power, but not when it means donkey punching mother nature.

Nothing personal, by the way. I know tons of dudes go catless and that in the grand scheme, India and China are going to be the ones who put our sea levels over the top in the next 100 years, not you and a couple thousand other BMW owners around the country.
      03-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #280
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
I'm hardly a tree hugger, but I have a pretty big ethical issue going catless. Not sure how much worse for the environment a sport cat is over stock, but going catless, especially with that attitude, seems pretty selfish for a couple of ponies. I'm all for more power, but not when it means donkey punching mother nature.

Nothing personal, by the way. I know tons of dudes go catless and that in the grand scheme, India and China are going to be the ones who put our sea levels over the top in the next 100 years, not you and a couple thousand other BMW owners around the country.
LOL, the way I see it...you're modifying an emissions device, catted or not. Illegal and you don't care about the environment...

That being said, I hardly drive the car so yeah doesn't validate going catless, I did it for the awesome sound!

Would be interesting to see the reduction in pollutants of a 200 cell vs catless. I know rally cars COULD go catless, but they throw on a cat at literally the tip of the exhaust because it doesn't hurt their performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #281
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I was also thinking cops will know that smell and might pull you over if they’re having a slow day or bad day.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #282
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post

LOL, the way I see it...you're modifying an emissions device, catted or not. Illegal and you don't care about the environment...

That being said, I hardly drive the car so yeah doesn't validate going catless, I did it for the awesome sound!

Would be interesting to see the reduction in pollutants of a 200 cell vs catless. I know rally cars COULD go catless, but they throw on a cat at literally the tip of the exhaust because it doesn't hurt their performance.
Or you could hust install a 300cell hjs catted downpipe which makes it wonderfully legal. And there is no big gap between catless or 200/300 cell on a performance level
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #283
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeni View Post
Or you could hust install a 300cell hjs catted downpipe which makes it wonderfully legal. And there is no big gap between catless or 200/300 cell on a performance level
Still illegal...

And wouldn’t sound as beautiful as catless does lol
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #284
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still illegal...

And wouldn’t sound as beautiful as catless does lol
It is legal in europe. Would be surprised if the us law is stricter for once. But cant judge from here...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #285
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Any modification to the downpipe/cat unless it's to replace it with another stock piece due to damage/malfunction/etc. is illegal in the US.

...especially California.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #286
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
It is legal in europe. Would be surprised if the us law is stricter for once. But cant judge from here...
In California I think any change that is not OEM is illegal, even if it pollutes less than OEM.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread