BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 1M for M2...

10-25-2016, 04:22 AM   #23
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

Owning an M2, I am genuinely convinced it is a better car. However, I would not sell a 1M to buy one. In fact, I would not sell a 1M period.
Appreciate 2
pup73514.00
      10-25-2016, 04:36 AM   #24
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I ordered my M2 a year ago and let go of my 1M. I explained why (see this thread).

As you can guess, in the end it all comes down to a personal choice. You know best what your priorities are in the current stage of your life.

Both cars have their own character: 'The Wild One' (1M) versus 'The Mild One' (M2). As I wrote in a comment: if the 1M is rock 'n roll, then the M2 is jazz. Both got soul, but in a different way. Kinky (1M) & Cool (M2): I love both (see some general impressions here and here).

The M2 with M Performance Exhaust kills the 1M in the sound department (listen here).

As a daily driver, the M2 will very likely suit your needs better - it's less nervous than the 1M, more indulgent. And if you gotta convince your significant other: the M2 is safer (more compliant/planted) than the nervous 'ants in the pants' 1M. At night the 'High Beam Assist' of the M2 swivelling around the road and 'wrapping' cars with its wall of light is a pretty cool feature too (advanced compared to the HBA of the 1M: see here). Furthermore I'm also pleased with my sunroof (eat your heart out, USA market ).

Hard to fault the M2. Though the analog dials of the instrument cluster can sometimes be pretty dark in overcast conditions. BMW M screwed up on that feature (see here).

For the rest: 1M keeps good value as collector's item with demand still going strong. The M2 will fare well on the resale market too in the future, but not as extraordinary as the 1M. Your low mileage 1M is worth its salt ...and even more. Many enthusiasts want to get their hands/claws on one.

I deliberately went for 6MT (to keep a bit of the 1M look 'n feel). I also wanted Mineral Grey as it's more understated, bit more like a business monster. The Valencia Orange color of my 1M - which I loved - unfortunately caught a bit too much attention wherever you move through traffic. For the rest: I ticked all options and also threw in some M Performance parts.

As I wrote: speaking for myself, happy camper in Camp M2 - got no regrets.

MY 2018 = a mild cosmetic face-lift for the 2-Series, including the M2 (especially lights). But hey... all you want is *now*.

Cheers,
-A-

My current and former car teamed up:

LGWGN249.50
ried791.50
      10-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #25
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
VOCAN, you already asked so you want the M2, so do it. Let somone else that truly appreciates it have a shot it it. Two people will end up happy.

I respectfully disagree with the simplified statements that the M2 is 1M v2. Yes but not really. My 1M has an amazing classic cockpit with no nav, no I-drive, large clear beautiful displays. No comfort button, no fake engine noise, no big display blocking the road or killing my night vision. it has a great oil temp gauge and manual seats. It is different and I cannot get an M2 like that. As much as I like the M2, which is a ton, I cannot make the switch due to the sum of all the nonsense and dilution of the 1M formula. It is a better car for sure but with the great chassis and track prowess, it comes saddled with the gadgetry, idrive and fakery that I don't like.

The 1M is a truly special car and in BMWs history. It is the last M car and last BMW that was only offered in a manual transmission. The last M car you could get without a comfort button and fakery. There is a reason that still, to this day, editors and even Chris Harris prefer the 1M over the M2 and it's because it is something special.

Being special is also a curse for some, namely me. Because I know that I could never buy another M car without iDrive, screens, fakery, etc. I worry a lot about my 1M and this is probably the top reason to sell the 1M and get an M2.
You make some excellent points and you're right I do want the M2.

Problem is I like the 1M so much I can't seem to convince myself, I'm right on the line and you've highlighted many of the reasons why.

Having both only works out if the wife wants it and she's not sounding too enthusiastic at the moment...
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #26
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I ordered my M2 a year ago and let go of my 1M. I explained why (see this thread).

As you can guess, in the end it all comes down to a personal choice. You know best what your priorities are in the current stage of your life.

Both cars have their own character: 'The Wild One' (1M) versus 'The Mild One' (M2). As I wrote in a comment: if the 1M is rock 'n roll, then the M2 is jazz. Both got soul, but in a different way. Kinky (1M) & Cool (M2): I love both (see some general impressions here and here).

The M2 with M Performance Exhaust kills the 1M in the sound department (listen here).

As a daily driver, the M2 will very likely suit your needs better - it's less nervous than the 1M, more indulgent. And if you gotta convince your significant other: the M2 is safer (more compliant/planted) than the nervous 'ants in the pants' 1M. At night the 'High Beam Assist' of the M2 swivelling around the road and 'wrapping' cars with its wall of light is a pretty cool feature too (advanced compared to the HBA of the 1M: see here). Furthermore I'm also pleased with my sunroof (eat your heart out, USA market ).

Hard to fault the M2. Though the analog dials of the instrument cluster can sometimes be pretty dark in overcast conditions. BMW M screwed up on that feature (see here).

For the rest: 1M keeps good value as collector's item with demand still going strong. The M2 will fare well on the resale market too in the future, but not as extraordinary as the 1M. Your low mileage 1M is worth its salt ...and even more. Many enthusiasts want to get their hands/claws on one.

I deliberately went for 6MT (to keep a bit of the 1M look 'n feel). I also wanted Mineral Grey as it's more understated, bit more like a business monster. The Valencia Orange color of my 1M - which I loved - unfortunately caught a bit too much attention wherever you move through traffic. For the rest: I ticked all options and also threw in some M Performance parts.

MY 2018 = a mild cosmetic face-lift for the 2-Series, including the M2 (especially lights). But hey... all you want is *now*.

Cheers,
-A-

Those are awesome pics.

Please stop making it more difficult for me...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #27
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
VOCAN, you already asked so you want the M2, so do it. Let somone else that truly appreciates it have a shot it it. Two people will end up happy.

I respectfully disagree with the simplified statements that the M2 is 1M v2. Yes but not really. My 1M has an amazing classic cockpit with no nav, no I-drive, large clear beautiful displays. No comfort button, no fake engine noise, no big display blocking the road or killing my night vision. it has a great oil temp gauge and manual seats. It is different and I cannot get an M2 like that. As much as I like the M2, which is a ton, I cannot make the switch due to the sum of all the nonsense and dilution of the 1M formula. It is a better car for sure but with the great chassis and track prowess, it comes saddled with the gadgetry, idrive and fakery that I don't like.
Keep you 1M....sounds as the perfect car for you.

Quote:
The 1M is a truly special car and in BMWs history. It is the last M car and last BMW that was only offered in a manual transmission. The last M car you could get without a comfort button and fakery. There is a reason that still, to this day, editors and even Chris Harris prefer the 1M over the M2 and it's because it is something special.
True...but if you want to own the last pure M car..? In my opinion you should have a BMW M with a NA engine and maybe even a NA six cylinder engine. The 1M is the first modern M car with a turbo in coupe shape. Indeed the last one with manual transmission only and last M coupe with hydraulic steering. Awesome car and 1M is more special then a M2.

Quote:
Being special is also a curse for some, namely me. Because I know that I could never buy another M car without iDrive, screens, fakery, etc. I worry a lot about my 1M and this is probably the top reason to sell the 1M and get an M2. It is not special and that is a good thing. It will do everything you want better or mostly as well without the burden of a special car that cannot be replaced. If BMW would've offered a no nav, no idrive, no fakery, manual seat version with an oil gauge I probably would've gotten M2 so I can drive it with abandon. So if you are like me and stress about the 1M, then sell it and get an M2. Best wishes!
My 2006 Z4M is the last BMW M car with the iconic NA S54 six cylinder. I love that I still own it and I have zero reasons to sell it. It's a unique and special car and also my first proper M car. I would worry that if I sell it, i would miss it a lot (even with a M2 in my garage)...so I have zero plans on selling my Z4M and I'm keeping it to drive and enjoy it. You worry that you own your 1M...I would worry that I don't own my Z4M

Why stress about a car...if you enjoy it, keep it, drive it and it's nice that it feels special and unique to you... It sounds like your car is not insured if something happens or is the 1M a financial burden? Strange that you say; you could never buy another M car without iDrive, screens, etc. It's true they are not going to build another car like that! But this is also the top reason you want to sell your 1M. When you sell it, you will also lost it and don't have it anymore. I just don't get it...but if you love your 1M...keep it and enjoy it. You can always buy a M2 any other day in your life.

Last edited by Franzino; 10-25-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #28
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykoolzboy View Post
Get both

1M is already a collector classic, the value can only go up from this point, unless the financial situation is completely inflexible, it would be wise to keep this future all time BMW classic in your stable.

As of m2, man what a car, but even with all the awesomeness from m2, I would never trade the 1m for m2 for lots of reasons.

my preference in this order

1. Figure out a way to keep 1m and get a m2.
2. Keep 1M and buy the m2 when space and financial isn't a issue in the future(it's a 5 year run limited production car, but not limited run,you will have plenty of time to make your decision later)

3. Trade 1m for a M2 (Love my m2 , but it would just be absurd to trade 1m straight up for m2)

I thought BMW was ending production at the end of 2018 to start the production of the CS version? Or they are just gonna slow down base model production to leave room for CS production? Or just completely stop base model and produce CS version for a x ammount of time and then back to base model?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #29
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Problem is I like the 1M so much I can't seem to convince myself, I'm right on the line and you've highlighted many of the reasons why.
Your gut is telling you to keep the 1M but the shiny, new M2 is distracting you.

Based on your comments, I think you will have lingering regret if you let go of your 1M... unless you can figure out a way to have both. Since you can afford to wait (M2 is not going anywhere), why not wait?
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #30
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
It's all Jazzzz,man...

Bitches Brew era Davis vs Chet (Chet Baker)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #31
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
It's all Jazzzz,man...
Bitches Brew era Davis vs Chet (Chet Baker)
Bill Evans is the Claude Debussy of jazz. I love both their music. Always puts a smile on my face when I relax inside my bath.

10-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #32
Sebis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

I would never sell the 1M, period.
      10-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm like Johnny, but I love my M2.

Cheers
Robin(Hendrix, Cream/Clapton, Iron Maiden, Muse, STP, Soundgarden/Audioslave/Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Kate Bush etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #34
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:

Cheers,
-A-

My current and former car teamed up:

Do you have a car blog or write in a car magazine or something? Well, you should. Very, very well said sir. I read your 1M farewell post, almost brought tears to my petrol head eyes. "Protect those on board and may you live long and prosper, you little orange rascal."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #35
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Out of curiosity, for all you 1M purist. During the time of purchase, what made you stop going even more purist to say an Elise? Is it because of livability? Rear seats? Brand? It sounds like for some of you, you enjoy not having any Technology intervention in the car. Just wondering where do you draw the line.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #36
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Bill Evans is the Claude Debussy of jazz. I love both their music. Always puts a smile on my face when I relax inside my bath.

Absolutely

The best ever Jazz line up

Miles Davis
Julian " Cannonball" Adderley
Paul Chambers
James Cobb
John Coltrane
Bill Evans and
Winton Kelly.......in a" Kind of Blue "

Not for the car though...That's where Rock lives
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Artemis28911.50
      10-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #37
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I'm like Johnny, but I love my M2.

Cheers
Robin(Hendrix, Cream/Clapton, Iron Maiden, Muse, STP, Soundgarden/Audioslave/Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Kate Bush etc)

Philistine !
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #38
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
I'm toying with the idea of possibly selling my 1M and picking up an M2.

I need a second opinion on the pros and cons.

What say you?
The now "base" M2 won't hold the value of that 1M. The 1M is a rare car. Hold it and let it appreciate some more. Hi Po M2's are coming so no reason to dump that 1m for a "base" M2.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:59 PM   #39
Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Long Beach Blue

I had the same situation recently but with a different twist.

I wanted to purchase either a 1m or a m2. I now have driven both and both are A plus cars in my opinion. I tracked Down the last remaing 1m "like "new car ... That's right one dealer still has one left .. It is white and has only 998 miles on it... I went to look at it ... It is located on the second floor of century city BMW in studio city California.. On the second floor of the dealership... It is pristine flawless mint cond with a price tag at 72,500.00

You cannot really compare the two unless you start from scratch mileage wise. And even with 5 k preimum you come out on top for the M2 because of the warranty.. If you can still get a 2016 you gonna get 2500 more warranty and that is the key.. You have the ability to drive repair and maintence free.. And if you drive a car hard like me you are gonna use the warranties.

In my opinion the M2 drives better overall.. .It is not fair to compare but the 5 years makes an amazing difference ..especially with yearly improvements. It was a close call.. The last one... Out there not even broken in (1250miles)... Waiting for just the right person. But this personnel preference like a great blonde over a super hot redhead both a drop dead A plus car. As far as keeping value my advice is drive the car while you still can and enjoy it ...forgetabout exit resale... For me the LLB color and in my opinion one of the greatest BMW colors ever,and over all handing made the choice easy but I bow my head in respect to a great 1M ride...

Last edited by Encinitas CA M2+M5 Owner; 10-25-2016 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #40
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
Don't. Personally I think the M2 looks better and is a fine car but it will never ever be as special and collectible as a 1M. The resale value of the 1M today tells the story. If you trade in the 1M you will kick yourself down the road. It will be sort of like the guy that traded in his e30M3 back in the early 90's for a shiny new e36M3.... and for the rest of his life regrets it. My .02

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #41
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Out of curiosity, for all you 1M purist. During the time of purchase, what made you stop going even more purist to say an Elise? Is it because of livability? Rear seats? Brand? It sounds like for some of you, you enjoy not having any Technology intervention in the car. Just wondering where do you draw the line.
Despite the tone of "you purists" I will answer. For me it was back seat. I have two kids and always wanted an M3. I liked every generation until I was finally going to buy an M car. The e90 was awesome but felt big, heavier than previous ones. I had given up on BMW making a small nimble hard core M car. Then when 1M came out, it was perfect. I had to search and fight to get it without NAV and idrive because dealers were ordering them bloated. So back seat was a must and big enough to hold car seats. Also I was a fan of BMW and the performance based sedans and coupes. The 1M can comfortably carry my wife and kids. For that matter I drove it from Ontario, Canada to San Diego, California with the entire family. Try that in a lotus! : )
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #42
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
Don't. Personally I think the M2 looks better and is a fine car but it will never ever be as special and collectible as a 1M. The resale value of the 1M today tells the story. If you trade in the 1M you will kick yourself down the road. It will be sort of like the guy that traded in his e30M3 back in the early 90's for a shiny new e36M3.... and for the rest of his life regrets it. My .02
Vocan I think you should get your M2. But just ask yourself one question. One day the M2 will be 5 years old like 1M. Some guy will be saying the cockpit and internal combustion motor are outdated and steering wheel is stupid since you can now autopilot your car and go into manual mode by steering with your paired iPhone. They will
Also tell you how the latest Tesla econobox is faster than you M2. So which car would you want to have when 5 years old? Seriously I am not saying one or the other just saying when it is no longer shiny and faster than most which will be more special to you?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #43
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Despite the tone of "you purists" I will answer. For me it was back seat. I have two kids and always wanted an M3. I liked every generation until I was finally going to buy an M car. The e90 was awesome but felt big, heavier than previous ones. I had given up on BMW making a small nimble hard core M car. Then when 1M came out, it was perfect. I had to search and fight to get it without NAV and idrive because dealers were ordering them bloated. So back seat was a must and big enough to hold car seats. Also I was a fan of BMW and the performance based sedans and coupes. The 1M can comfortably carry my wife and kids. For that matter I drove it from Ontario, Canada to San Diego, California with the entire family. Try that in a lotus! : )
Well I totally understand what you are saying because that was exactly the reason I switched from a Lotus to an M2. Having said that, if you are looking for a real purist experience the 1M or M2 just doesn't compare. Wish the Atom or Mono was street legal here...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #44
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Well I totally understand what you are saying because that was exactly the reason I switched from a Lotus to an M2. Having said that, if you are looking for a real purist experience the 1M or M2 just doesn't compare. Wish the Atom or Mono was street legal here...
To me the purists were the guys that complained about the 944 turbo being front engine. Not a fan of 911s and as a kid I wanted a turbo 944. Purists was
The guy with the Ferrari 308 that asked me what my favorite Ferrari when I was a young boy and proceeded to scold me because the Dino 246 that I loved was not a Ferrari. Never mind that the Dino is selling now for 10 times the money over his "real" Ferrari. No, I'm not a purist. BMW M cars were never about purity. They were race(y) cars you drive on the street. Their focus was tilted toward handling and performance. They were cars that could keep up with a Ferrari but still have a back seat for your kids. The cockpits and pedals were always driver focused. Later they added gadgets and the focus is
Naturally diluted by screens, distractions. However, you could always order one without this stuff. To me it takes away from the
Cockpit and blurs the focus. The F80 cars added fake sound and dropped the temp gauge . They added comfort mode buttons and mandatory idrive and screens that complicate simple operations that distract from piloting. I am not a purist but a threshold has been crossed with M2 because there is no longer choice to not get fake sound, heavy seats motorized mirrors, small cute instruments that are harder to see and a glowing logo where temp gauge should go. Those are no longer performance choices. So I am not a purist but the combination of all of these little things add up to make me appreciate the 1M cockpit that is the more pure cockpit in no nav trim. As I said, if the M2 were available without this stuff I wouldn't have canceled my first spot for one and not gone through the great lengths of buying a car 3000 miles away from my home in another country, importing it and driving across the entire USA. Yes, I sold my first one and regretted it and it made me appreciate the 1M because I had already sold it and could buy the m2. As I said already so people don't get offended. The M2 is a better car, it's just that the 1M still has something special that a few really appreciate. I think the e46 competition m3 was a better car than e30 m3 but the e30 also is special even though the other ones are faster and have trendier cockpits. I hope this helps explain it.

Last edited by nachob; 10-25-2016 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 3
ried791.50
Robin_NL8679.50
3Si216.50