BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

10-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #23
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks for posting the video

Am I listening to the right thing?

First clip - a whirling sound

Second clip - the loud thud.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #24
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFS View Post
Thanks for posting the video

Am I listening to the right thing?

First clip - a whirling sound

Second clip - the loud thud.

thanks.
No whirling or thud sounds, both the same metallic scrape noise, albeit a bit more prononced in the first vid, at the 3-4 secs & 10-11 sec marks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:03 AM   #25
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep

I've only heard it when doing sharp left turn at slow speeds. I do seem to get a lot of stones trapped between the break discs and metal guard thing which can sound similar. I'm still waiting for my recall to be done
      10-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I hear that can crunch noise, and my dealer "supposedly" swapped out the differential before I had picked the car up :
      10-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #27
Joaozao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Heard the noise for the first time today. It was quick. Surprised me, but thanks to this forum I was expecting it. Happened at 301 miles.

Or maybe there was a rock stuck in the brakes
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #28
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I hear that can crunch noise, and my dealer "supposedly" swapped out the differential before I had picked the car up :
I hear it and I do not believe it is differential related. It is, IMO, heat shield related. I suspect either something gets caught in the heat shield or the heat shield rubs on something in the suspension. My M4 had the same issue. I think almost every M car with heat shields has something similar.

If it were a differential issue you would hear it turning and this issue (which is the same as the videos above) can be heard when in a straight line sometimes when applying throttle, sometimes not. That says it's something else and I'm convinced after hearing it with the windows open at low speed that it is a heat shield/suspension related issue.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #29
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Week 30 build here. 1000km. Just heard what sounded like a rolling, crushed pop can. Happened as I was driving straight up my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 08:45 PM   #30
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I hear it and I do not believe it is differential related. It is, IMO, heat shield related. I suspect either something gets caught in the heat shield or the heat shield rubs on something in the suspension. My M4 had the same issue. I think almost every M car with heat shields has something similar.

If it were a differential issue you would hear it turning and this issue (which is the same as the videos above) can be heard when in a straight line sometimes when applying throttle, sometimes not. That says it's something else and I'm convinced after hearing it with the windows open at low speed that it is a heat shield/suspension related issue.
Thanks for clearing it up for me. Yeah, this is in a straight line, last time it lasted like 20 seconds lol
      10-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #31
smoothM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I was hearing this for the past 2 weeks and after some research and looking at the heat shields for the rear rotors I'm convinced it is due to stones being lodged between the heat shield and rotor. If you tap on those heat shields it sounds very much like a soda can.

I think we can put this issue to rest.
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      10-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #32
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothM2 View Post
I was hearing this for the past 2 weeks and after some research and looking at the heat shields for the rear rotors I'm convinced it is due to stones being lodged between the heat shield and rotor. If you tap on those heat shields it sounds very much like a soda can.

I think we can put this issue to rest.
At first, like others, I jumped to the conclusion that this noise (on my car now 7 times in 800 miles) was the differential. But your logic above makes good sense. Except for putting it to rest. Is there a fix for the brake shields that dealers are aware of evidence that they'll do the repair or modification on demand?
      10-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #33
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
does anyone know if the differential on the m2 is the same as the m performance differential on the m235i? Could of sworn I ran over a pop can out of my driveway this morning lol
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
Glounk
First Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: M2 6mt MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
does anyone know if the differential on the m2 is the same as the m performance differential on the m235i? Could of sworn I ran over a pop can out of my driveway this morning lol

Nothing to do with a m235 diff.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #35
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post

A heat shield would better explain what I heard the second time. Though in my instance it sounded like it flew off the car
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #36
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

I'm still not convinced it's stone/heat shield related, not with the sounds I've been hearing, mainly due to the sound always being exactly the same quick clang/scrape noise and the fact it happens at various speeds on smooth roads, ive even heard it while cruising at 70km/h.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #37
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I'm still not convinced it's stone/heat shield related, not with the sounds I've been hearing, mainly due to the sound always being exactly the same quick clang/scrape noise and the fact it happens at various speeds on smooth roads, ive even heard it while cruising at 70km/h.
The recurrent metallic 'clack'/'schlack' thud noise is too violent and sounds the same. Cannot believe that it's stone/heat shield related.
      10-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #38
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The recurrent metallic 'clack'/'schlack' thud noise is too violent and sounds the same. Cannot believe that it's stone/heat shield related.
It's possible it isn't related to the heat shield but it is also not differential related if you ask me. It's happening on fixed cars and sounds nothing like any differential noise I've ever heard.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #39
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

This sounds exactly like the M3/4 when stone(s) get stuck between the brake and heat shield. BMW released a slightly modified shield for the M3/4, but for many people it hasn't totally resolved the issue. They also have a TSB for "spacers" on this same issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #40
smoothM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I know what you are talking about, at times it sounds like the muffler is hanging off the car and dragging on the pavement. The only way to recreate the sound is to put a few pebbles between the heat shield and the rotor and see what happens. I'm almost 100% sure that's the source.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #41
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

To put this in perspective for a few folks on this thread, I have had exactly 3 distinct disturbing noises.

The first noise comes from a friction plate in the front right and left. Apparently this is between the rotor and hub and assuming this has something to do with design pieces around the front heat shields. For this noise, see my video posted below. These friction plates have been replaced for both my right front and left front.

The second noise I heard was definitely a pebble in the rear, which sounds liken to what most people describe as metal on metal "grinding". This is a much louder and more shrieking noise than the other noises I've heard. I had one of my neighbors comment that she thought something was falling off of my car and I had to embarrassingly tell her that it was just a pebble stuck. Additionally, this sound is recurring and screeches as the wheels go around each time, but it can be intermittent depending on speeds and possibly (how big the pebble is?).

The third noise I heard (it's only happened once) is the noise that I think many people are referring to the "soda can crunch" noise. I heard this at low speeds in my work parking lot or pulling to the light out of our parking lot. It sounded like I ran over a soda can or something metal and was a loud crunching/rubbing noise in the rear. I looked back and saw nothing. That sounds like what most people are hearing other than the pebble screeching noise.

I'm not sure what caused my first noise (it's happened twice now) and both times the dealer replaced the friction plates/shims. I had my left front replaced the first time and then the second time was the right front. I now have about 3100 miles on my car and have not heard any of these sounds in the last few weeks. Hopefully this may help clarify some of these noises that folks are hearing.

Appreciate 2
omasou2079.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #42
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

So last night I was driving and I pulled away from a stop light and I heard this strange noise, not the "soda can crunch" noise but more of a loose shield flapping kind of noise. I did not think that it was me at first, but the noise kept following me. So I pulled over, shut the car off and got out to look around. I could not find anything. So I got back in the car, started it up, revved it a little, and there was no noise. I pulled away and as soon as I did I heard the "soda can crunch" noise pretty loudly and then it went away and everything was fine, the other noise was gone too. I did notice a strange smell for bit after that, but it could have been another car, I'm not really sure.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #43
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
So last night I was driving and I pulled away from a stop light and I heard this strange noise, not the "soda can crunch" noise but more of a loose shield flapping kind of noise. I did not think that it was me at first, but the noise kept following me. So I pulled over, shut the car off and got out to look around. I could not find anything. So I got back in the car, started it up, revved it a little, and there was no noise. I pulled away and as soon as I did I heard the "soda can crunch" noise pretty loudly and then it went away and everything was fine, the other noise was gone too. I did notice a strange smell for bit after that, but it could have been another car, I'm not really sure.
Funny you mention the smell. Upon hearing my 'soda can' noise as I pulled up my driveway and into my garage, I too noticed a peculiar odour.
i had a awd Ford Edge for winter use not too long ago and the diff went on it and the smell it emitted was, I thought, similar to what I smelled coming from the M2. Mind you, my nose may be biased now with all the bad diff talk surrounding the M2 and my 'ford' experience so thats where my mind goes. The reason for the smell on the ford was the diff oil dripping onto the hot exhaust system-which was why I would never see any stains on the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #44
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep

I just experienced my first true soda crunch noise. I had my 1200 mile service done at 1222 miles two days ago and today, after driving on the highway for a number of miles, I exited the highway and was driving on back roads. After driving about 10 miles on back roads, I was cruising in 4th gear (6sp man) at about 40mph in a straight line and the noise happened at 1340 miles. It was distinctly from the rear center of the car. I looked back to see if there was anything in the road and there wasn't. I was talking on the phone but I hope my dash cam captured the sound. I won't know till I get home and can download the footage.
Appreciate 0