BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > $ The M4 Premium $

03-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #89
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
M2 sales.
At the expense of M4 sales? So, you're telling me BMW tells, I mean pays these magazines to hamper M4 sales?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #90
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
At the expense of M4 sales? So, you're telling me BMW tells, I mean pays these magazines to hamper M4 sales?
Sure!

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #91
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
What does BMW gain by these magazines telling people to skip the M4 and get the M2?
It's all just branding in my opinion. M cars, their racing, all of it. This stuff doesn't have a meaningful direct impact on the company's bottom line.

Attract as many people to the brand as you can. Having a sporty M2 plastered all over the cover of car magazines this month will help sell more X3s tomorrow. M4 is old news and is no longer on the cover of car magazines or racking up view counts on YouTube. In the end they don't care about M2 vs M4 because it doesn't really matter to them at the bottom line. It's just a new marketing effort, so hype the new thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #92
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm2 View Post
It's all just branding in my opinion. M cars, their racing, all of it. This stuff doesn't have a meaningful direct impact on the company's bottom line.

Attract as many people to the brand as you can. Having a sporty M2 plastered all over the cover of car magazines this month will help sell more X3s tomorrow. M4 is old news and is no longer on the cover of car magazines or racking up view counts on YouTube. In the end they don't care about M2 vs M4 because it doesn't really matter to them at the bottom line. It's just a new marketing effort, so hype the new thing.
You mean except for the fact the M4 comp pack is coming out with all these fresh reviews that say it owns?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #93
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
You mean except for the fact the M4 comp pack is coming out with all these fresh reviews that say it owns?
A M4 comp pack wouldn't make the front page of Car and Driver this month. As much as you're excited about it, most people don't give a shit.

If people said the M2 sucked compared to the M4 it probably wouldn't be on the front page either.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #94
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
A M4 comp pack wouldn't make the front page of Car and Driver this month. As much as you're excited about it, most people don't give a shit.

If people said the M2 sucked compared to the M4 it probably wouldn't be on the front page either.
BTW, I'm not arguing the M2 sucks! Just saying I want to drive both myself before I make a choice!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #95
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think BMW enthusiasts do as BMW is expecting a 70% take rate on the package.

You think most people give a shit about an M2? Naa just some BMW enthusiasts.

BTW I'm not arguing the M2 or M4 sucks but I do think the M2 is a downgrade from the M4 as a total package even if it is a bit more "tossable". I don't understand the M2 being more raw comments though.

I should be getting some seat time in an M2 this weekend looking forward to it.

Last edited by dmk08; 03-03-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #96
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

BTW I'm not arguing the M2 or M4 sucks but I do think the M2 is a downgrade from the M4 as a total package even if it is a bit more "tossable". I don't understand the M2 being more raw comments though.

And I'm 100% of the people typing this post right now. I'll be curious to see what percentage of car and driver magazine viewers are buying the M4 comp pack M4 in the next year. Probably a couple hundredths of a percent. That wasn't really my point anyways. Of course people here care, myself included but on a national auto enthusiast level I don't think it's front page material. All I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #97
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And I'm 100% of the people typing this post right now. I'll be curious to see what percentage of car and driver magazine viewers are buying the M4 comp pack M4 in the next year. Probably a couple hundredths of a percent. That wasn't really my point anyways. Of course people here care, myself included but on a national auto enthusiast level I don't think it's front page material. All I'm saying.
You're probably right I dont know anyone that seriously reads car and driver anymore ...

I myself have a 15 M3 and the initial ZCP reviews have put me in line for a 17 M4 ZCP when I was considering a 17 M2. Luckily Ill have a chance to drive both before I make my final final choice
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #98
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
You're probably right I dont know anyone that seriously reads car and driver anymore ...

I myself have a 15 M3 and the initial ZCP reviews have put me in line for a 17 M4 ZCP when I was considering a 17 M2. Luckily Ill have a chance to drive both before I make my final final choice
Both cars are great, but the buzz behind the M2 is the bang-for-your-buck performance in relation to the overall more expensive, larger, more grand-touring car that the M3/4 has now become. M2 is the first of its kind in more ways than one, not just because it's the first ///M 2 series. Since automotive journalists are the closest thing to car enthusiasts we have linking us to the mainstream, then they set the relative standard. Each car has its market.

"Most people" are not who the M2 was intended for, hence why they probably wouldn't "give a shit".

If the M2 hadn't come out, I'm sure the Ford Focus RS would probably have the cover instead.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #99
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

There is no longer anything revolutionary about the BMW M3/M4, as it no longer holds the same prestige it once had. You don't need to read a car magazine to comprehend that shit.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #100
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both cars are great, but the buzz behind the M2 is the bang-for-your-buck performance in relation to the overall more expensive, larger, more grand-touring car that the M3/4 has now become. M2 is the first of its kind in more ways than one, not just because it's the first ///M 2 series. Since automotive journalists are the closest thing to car enthusiasts we have linking us to the mainstream, then they set the relative standard. Each car has its market.

"Most people" are not who the M2 was intended for, hence why they probably wouldn't "give a shit".

If the M2 hadn't come out, I'm sure the Ford Focus RS would probably have the cover instead.
So - and not to start an argument on this but if the "m3/m4 has become more of a grand touring car" this is since when? The e9x was this too since it was heavier and barely smaller? Just wondering cause comments like that are what make M3/M4 guys say "hmm" to m2 guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #101
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no longer anything revolutionary about the BMW M3/M4, as it no longer holds the same prestige it once had. You don't need to read a car magazine to comprehend that shit.
And what exactly is revolutionary about an M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #102
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
So - and not to start an argument on this but if the "m3/m4 has become more of a grand touring car" this is since when? The e9x was this too since it was heavier and barely smaller? Just wondering cause comments like that are what make M3/M4 guys say "hmm" to m2 guys.
I would say that since the inception of the F30 body style and the introduction of the 2 series body style. That difference and the parallels to the E46 that the two chassis immediately garnered underscored the larger size of the 3 series, as well as the comparisons it got to the E39 5 series of old. Nothing wrong with a larger car, but it is detrimental to the nimble nature of the shorter wheelbase it used to have.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #103
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
And what exactly is revolutionary about an M2?
It's not an M3.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #104
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not an M3.
So nothing lol.

haha @ e9x isn't a GT car but an f8x is. Oh man I can go to lunch today with a giggle.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #105
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
So nothing lol.

haha @ e9x isn't a GT car but an f8x is. Oh man I can go to lunch today with a giggle.
Giggling is for girls, so that works.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #106
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I can't keep track of all these side arguments. You win. You win!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #107
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
I can't keep track of all these side arguments. You win. You win!
I know, I know.

I'd like to thank the Academy, and all my years of internet savvy and sarcasm, for this victory.

Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #108
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know, I know.

I'd like to thank the Academy, and all my years of internet savvy and sarcasm, for this victory.
<//////////////////////////////////>~~~~~
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #109
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
So nothing lol.

It's relative, man. The M3/M4 has undeniable GT aspects relative to the M2. It's a freaking tiny, race car stripper compared to a Silver Spur.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #110
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
<//////////////////////////////////>~~~~~

Appreciate 0