BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Removing C pillar Trim

02-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #1
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Removing C pillar Trim

Does anyone know how to remove the C pillar trim on the m2? Ista is saying to disengage the clips first before pulling up, but I can't get them to release no matter how hard I pull, and I don't want to go crazy since it could break the panel.

If anyone has done this before I would love the insight.

Thanks
      02-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

I'm guessing no one?

Hey Nate@IND have you guys ever removed the rear C pillar trim, maybe for the carbon roof install? I could use some help.

Thanks
      02-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Sound deadening people have knowledge

Perhaps this will help?

I've removed these a few times.... Pull the piece off at the top first, then slide it upwards towards the headlining.
Appreciate 1
F87source7177.50
      02-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the reply, I've been looking on the m235i forum as well and it has all been a dead end.

I have tried to pull it off from the top but I dont want to break anything so it seems to not want to budge. Maybe I'll just yank it as hard as possible and see what happens.
      03-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Ok guys, I had a bit of time to burn this weekend and I pulled apart the C pillar trim with a little bit of advice from Nezil and Zeese awhile back, so a huge bit of thanks to you guys. Sorry I don't have any pictures, I really didn't feel like taking any as I was fighting with this thing for an hour in a cramped position.

Ok so here is how I did it without breaking any clips:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...sts/1VnXwsigxh

- First and foremost disconnect the battery and make sure the trunk doesnt close. The reason why is because there is an air bag in that area and if you don't want it to blow up in your face while fighting the trim panel it would be best to disconnect the battery and try not to hit the air bag. Make sure the trunk is open and doesn't close in the process otherwise you'll have to some how access the emergency release pull from the back of the car.

- I was told to pull the trim pannel from the top as hard as possible to break the clips free, but the pannel was so insanely tight I could not get my fingers in there and I skinned my thumb trying. So what I recommend instead is to use a small trim tool or block to wedge the top of the pannel away from the head liner creating a gap.

- within this gap you'll be able to look in and you can see the white clips holding the panel onto the metal frame, now take a really long flat head screw driver (mine was 30 cm long) and slide it down into the gap next to both white clips. This will allow you to wedge the panel off with even force along the entirety of the panel and right next to the clips which prevents anything from breaking and it makes it come off really easily.

- once the panel pops off ensure all your clips are in place and undamaged and then make sure they are properly reseated in the panel.

- Once you are done doing what you need to do just place the panel back in according to newtis, this is the most difficult part of the job and I have no advice for you on this part. But once it is aligned just hit the panel with your fist and it'll pop the clips back in place.

Overall this allowed me to run my rear dash camera wires in a fashion that is perfectly hidden from view and it is completely stealth now.
      10-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #6
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Sorry to revive a dead thread but F87source newstis.info is down permanently. Would you mind describing how you pulled and replaced the darn thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
Sorry to revive a dead thread but F87source newstis.info is down permanently. Would you mind describing how you pulled and replaced the darn thing?
Absolutely!

Ok so pretty much the newtis (remember ista is free and is where newtis got all the bmw guides from) guide was absolutely useless to me since the pannel was so tight I couldn't pull it off by hand as I couldn't even stick my hand in.

Ok so first you need to know the location of the clips which is the only useful things about newtis, to do that refer to this ebay ad from the uk of the c pillar trim: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264306774621

On the back side you can see one white clip in the middle, there is supposed to be 2 but this pannel is missing one but it is in the groove a bit further up on the pannel directly in line to the clip in the image, you can see the little slot for it. Then there is the metal clip which is the easiest to remove, and then at the bottom of the pannel towards the rear window there is a long metal alignment tab - be very careful not to break this.

Ok so what you need to do like I pointed out in my previous post is to get a wedge a door stop would be really good, I had some trim removal tools which was helpful. Anyways don't forget to unplug the battery or else you might get an air bag to the face. So take the trim tool and wedge the gap near the head liner outwards, stick something in the gap to hold the pannel away from the head liner - this is where the door stop comes into play. Then take a long flat head screwdriver and put it down the gap between the c pillar and head liner towards the white clips in the ebay picture and wedge it outwards from where it attaches to the sheet metal of the car towards the c pillar trim. This will release the first clip and it will immediately give you more room for the second clip which is directly in line with the first do the same thing to release clip 2. Then gently pull outwards to release the metal clip, DO NOT PULL TOO HARD or else you will break that metal alignment tab, just pull hard enough to disengage the metal clip. Then once that clip comes loose pull the c pillar trim towards the front of the car being extra careful not to break that clip. Done you have remove the pannel. To reassemble make sure the white clips are in their grooves on the c pillar trim and the metal clip and alignment tab are in tact. Then slowly position the pannel back in using the alignment tab, then make sure the white clips are aligned with their holes, push inwards and the metal clip should seat first, keep making sure the white clips haven't moved (they might move alot if you bump them into stuff, or if you deformed the clip from pulling too hard, so this is the hard part) then push to seat the clips. Then done the pannel is reinstalled.

If you don't use the screwdriver method you will either break or deform the clip or damage how they sit on the c pillar trim and this will cause alot of rattling. For me I managed not to damage or deform the clip and they were extremely firm in their seating grooves and as a result there is no rattling and the c pillar trim is back in the car just like stock with zero rattles, squeaks or creaks
      10-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #8
m3username
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3username View Post
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know!
No problem.