BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > 1200 Mile Break-In Period

02-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #45
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
If you didn't see the video above, you should. BMW gives your car the beans right as it rolls off the assembly line. The 1200 mile break in period is not as much for the engine as it is for the diff and tranny (which is why those 2 items also get a fluid change). The break in period (in my opinion), is also to let owners gradually get used to a fast car, instead of letting them out there to kill themselves. Drive the car any way you'd like. I hit 7000+ rpm in my break in multiple times, currently 5000 miles in, no issues. If you feel more comfortable easing into it, then do so. Whatever makes you sleep the best at night.
Just to point out...
That factory is not the same one our cars are built in.
All that video says is they test the car up to 150km/h
Does not say what rpm or how hard they push the car to get to 150km/h
Does not say this procedure eliminates the need for the end user break-in period.

Brakes, tires, and suspension need to be broken-in as well to work effectively. Though BMW's break-in period on the engine, some may say is unessesary. It's probably a good blanket statement to live by, just so you don't get into an accident due to parts not functioning 100% optimally yet.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-12-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #46
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Just to point out...
That factory is not the same one our cars are built in.
All that video says is they test the car up to 150km/h
Does not say what rpm or how hard they push the car to get to 150km/h
Does not say this procedure eliminates the need for the end user break-in period.

Brakes, tires, and suspension need to be broken-in as well to work effectively. Though BMW's break-in period on the engine, some may say is unessesary. It's probably a good blanket statement to live by, just so you don't get into an accident due to parts not functioning 100% optimally yet.
And you think they don't test the drivetrain components in the 7-12 or so miles all new cars have on them...? I'm not saying go out and beat on the car, rather to drive it normally, MAYBE a bit more on the cautious side. I rebuilt plenty of dirt bike motors to know that they prefer a normal break in procedure, rather than just idling and putting around. You do your way, I'll do mine. Also, don't you think your article is a BIT biased, being that it came directly from BMW...? I can google whatever best fits my argument as well; hard break in, easy break in, performance motor break in, etc.

Like I said previously, whatever makes you sleep the best at night.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #47
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And you think they don't test the drivetrain components in the 7-12 or so miles all new cars have on them...? I'm not saying go out and beat on the car, rather to drive it normally, MAYBE a bit more on the cautious side. I rebuilt plenty of dirt bike motors to know that they prefer a normal break in procedure, rather than just idling and putting around. You do your way, I'll do mine. Like I said previously, whatever makes you sleep the best at night.
My car had 2 miles on it when I purchased it. Others who had picked up their cars right after delivery have reported usually 4 miles and no more than 6. If you look at the size of the ships and shipyard that deliver the car, you will understand where the mileage comes from. BMW does not test drive cars before shipping. This is a fact.

My argument isn't for "what makes me sleep best at night" it's in response to the other person listening to your flawed reasoning to not break-in his car.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-12-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #48
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
My car had 2 miles on it when I purchased it. Others who had picked up their cars right after delivery have reported usually 4 miles and no more than 6. If you look at the size of the ships and shipyard that deliver the car, you will understand where the mileage comes from. BMW does not test drive cars before shipping. This is a fact.

My argument isn't for "what makes me sleep best at night" it's in respond to the other person listening to your flawed reasoning to not break-in his car.
And you work for BMW I presume...? So at 1199 miles I haven't hit above 5000 rpm, but at 1200 miles I give her the beans at bang rev limiter, what EXACTLY changed for this to happen? (HINT, it's NOTHING changed). It sure isn't software limited.

It's like being 20 years old at 11:59 on your birthday, yet waiting till midnight to be able to buy a drink. The break-in procedure is simply a CYA by BMW, to keep morons from wrecking their cars. My response or reasoning isn't flawed, it's an opinion. You have yours, I have mine. In case you missed my edit, I too can google specific things to fit my agenda.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+engine+hard+break+in

Feel free to read any of those results. Don't care either way though.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #49
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And you work for BMW I presume...? So at 1199 miles I haven't hit above 5000 rpm, but at 1200 miles I give her the beans at bang rev limiter, what EXACTLY changed for this to happen? (HINT, it's NOTHING changed). It sure isn't software limited.

It's like being 20 years old at 11:59 no your birthday, yet waiting till midnight to be able to buy a drink. The break-in procedure is simply a CYA by BMW, to keep morons from wrecking their cars. My response or reasoning isn't flawed, it's an opinion. You have yours, I have mine. In case you missed my edit, I too can google specific things to fit my agenda.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+engine+hard+break+in

Feel free to read any of those results. Don't care either way though.
Just to point out first, absolutely nothing you said is a counter argument to anything I've stated. And if I work for BMW or not, that isn't some dispute of the facts and practices, so not sure why you're using it that way...

And yes, your logic is flawed for litterally every single reason I've previously pointed out that you choose to ignore and double down with your "opinions".

And now you're building a strawman against me, because not once did I say there is a difference between 1199mi and 1200mi. And using false equivalence arguments as some way to prove your point. Turning 21 to drink is not the same, because there is a law that takes into affect at that point in time.

And your "new engine hard break in" argument is irrelevant because we are not speaking about engines here...

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-12-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #50
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:

My argument isn't for "what makes me sleep best at night" it's in response to the other person listening to your flawed reasoning to not break-in his car.
BMW X models in Spartanburg may get a short test drive (1/4 mile). I don't know the percentage. All spend a few minutes on a dyno running a part throttle exercise up to 150 kph. I'd guess its just to ensure things work and are not broke leaving the factory.

I feel being easy the first 100 miles and varying the RPM are important to seat the rings, etc. Plus brakes, tires, etc need a break-in. I then do normal driving (but no full throttle or above 5k) until 500 miles and may then ramp it up until the 1200 mile service, even with mountain drives and occasional hard runs thrown in. No launch control or full throttle 1st gear until after the service. It's worked well for me. I don't think 1200 is a magic number but I adhere to the recommendations for assurance of warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #51
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think the one thing we can agree upon here, is that there are different opinions on this subject!

Couple of interesting things however
1. This article
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...a-new-car.html
is counter to what BMW says in their manuals (article says 4,500 RPM and 1,300 miles, manual says 5,500 RPM and 1,200 miles).

It also says "Experts recommend" instead of "BMW recommends" - interesting.

Good stuff on the tires, brakes and shocks in there as well.

Interestingly - they say changing the oil is no longer required, which I think most "experts" would disagree with.

2. BMW does NOT change the transmission oil any more. I had mine changed in my manual transmission car at like 4,000 miles (at my expense) and the oil analysis I had done said the transmission oil was completely fine (read, Doug, you wasted your money on the trans fluid change).

3. Most experts still say most of the engine break-in happens in the first hundred miles (or less) - so I personally maintain that doing some nice pulls VERY EARLY in your ownership experience is super important. Nothing could be worse than puttering around. In my personal experience, I did this (strong pulls) with my M5 and my 650xi and neither used a drop of oil in the time I had them - whereas lots of people had lots of engine oil consumption issues in those motors. Scientific proof? Far from it - but as others have said, it worked for me so I'll go by what I go by.
Appreciate 2
ROASTM162.50
      02-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #52
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

This subject always starts conflict. It doesn't matter if we are talking about motorcycles, cars, boat motors or lawn mowers. Everyone has their own personal experiences and ideas of what is the right way and wrong way of treating a new motor. No one is going to change their minds arguing over it on the internet. Enjoy your car and I will enjoy mine.
P.S. My way is right lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:42 PM   #53
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarg33 View Post
This subject always starts conflict. It doesn't matter if we are talking about motorcycles, cars, boat motors or lawn mowers. Everyone has their own personal experiences and ideas of what is the right way and wrong way of treating a new motor. No one is going to change their minds arguing over it on the internet. Enjoy your car and I will enjoy mine.
P.S. My way is right lol
Well when people insist on limiting the conversation to "right and wrong way to treat a new motor" when my arguments had nothing to do with the motor, it certainly makes it impossible to convince someone otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #54
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Well when people insist on limiting the conversation to "right and wrong way to treat a new motor" when my arguments had nothing to do with the motor, it certainly makes it impossible to convince someone otherwise.
A bit bitter there huh? Do you also "break-in" your aftermarket parts, coilovers, bushings, etc.? If so, you're the only person I have ever heard of that does so. Remember, you responded to my original comment first. I repeated myself MULTIPLE times reading "do what makes you sleep best at night." Want to putt around for the first 1200 miles, go ahead. Not my car, so I don't care. I wouldn't want you "breaking in" my new M2C, and I'm sure you feel the same.

And nothing to do with the motor...? You directly linked a BMW article where number 4 is almost explicitly about the engine.

Point here is, do your own thaang. Beat on it, baby it, who cares, it's YOUR car. As long as you're enjoying it, it doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
808F901.50
      02-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #55
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A bit bitter there huh? Do you also "break-in" your aftermarket parts, coilovers, bushings, etc.? If so, you're the only person I have ever heard of that does so. Remember, you responded to my original comment first. I repeated myself MULTIPLE times reading "do what makes you sleep best at night." Want to putt around for the first 1200 miles, go ahead. Not my car, so I don't care. I wouldn't want you "breaking in" my new M2C, and I'm sure you feel the same.

And nothing to do with the motor...? You directly linked a BMW article where number 4 is almost explicitly about the engine.

Point here is, do your own thaang. Beat on it, baby it, who cares, it's YOUR car. As long as you're enjoying it, it doesn't matter.
I don't see where you're getting me being bitter from. Even if I was bitter, I don't see how that's relevant nor how bringing it up is relevant to the conversation. The facts I presented are still valid and a "mood" doesn't change that. Though, the fact that you've responded hostily after I brought up counter points and corrected your misinformation, makes it seem like you're the bitter one though.

And yea, it's recommended everyone breaks in their coilovers and bushings and brakes before using them. That's what the entire post was about... A quick google search shows that of many people asking how to break in these parts and many guides explaining how to do it. Just because you personally haven't heard of it isn't statistical evidence that you aren't supposed to do it and there aren't good reasons to do it.

And again, my argument was never against "do whatever makes you sleep best at night" but correcting your misinterpretation of information because it convinced someone to do something not apparently healthy. Though telling someone "Do whatever makes you feel good" isn't particularly good advice to give someone who is ignorant to the risks involved in that behavior anyway. Would you tell your daughter "Do whatever makes you feel good" if she asks about having unprotected sex with multiple men? Or dating an alcoholic biker? Or letting someone cross the street without looking because it's what they want to do? etc.

You keep wanting to go in circles. Keep wanting to bring up points that were already hashed out and resolved with non-arguments, as if they weren't resolved. And making it personal and about me. So at this point, if the hostility continues, the conversation has degraded past the point of me seeing a reason to continue it.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-13-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #56
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Yikes, how'd my thread turn into this, lol.

I'll just go ahead and....

Appreciate 1
808F901.50
      02-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #57
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
Yikes, how'd my thread turn into this, lol.

I'll just go ahead and....

Some people's ego gets hit to hard when someone corrects them, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #58
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I scheduled my 1200 mile service for tomorrow, and asked the advisor what that entailed. She says that she remote read my FOB and is seeing its due for an oil change only ?!?!? Then I told her to check with the service manager and get back to me and she confirmed. So weird...

I'll be sure to show her this tomorrow
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #59
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Some people's ego gets hit to hard when someone corrects them, unfortunately.
You have your opinion, and I have mine. Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I scheduled my 1200 mile service for tomorrow, and asked the advisor what that entailed. She says that she remote read my FOB and is seeing its due for an oil change only ?!?!? Then I told her to check with the service manager and get back to me and she confirmed. So weird...

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the break-in is more for the diff than the engine, but both need to be changed. On the write-up sheet after they perform said service, it should 100% show engine oil and diff oil. I can dig mine up where it clearly shows all being performed, as well as what fluid was used and the quantity.

EDIT: No tranny stuff. Im a dingus.

Last edited by Conissah; 02-20-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:04 PM   #60
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post

Don't worry. Run in service is essentially just an oil change for diff and engine with other minor checks.

Key fob only shows limited info same as idrive. Workshop will follow detailed service guide (hopefully) not what dumbass SA says.

SA's can't tell a diff from a potato. They're probably the worst people to ask.

Last edited by doughboy; 02-20-2020 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #61
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the break-in is more for the diff and the tranny than the engine, but all 3 need to be changed. On the write-up sheet after they perform said service, it should 100% show engine oil, diff oil, and tranny oil. I can dig mine up where it clearly shows all being performed, as well as what fluid was used and the quantity.
100% no transmission oil change required on run in service. Transmission is "sealed for life" with oil never to be changed officially.i

Although I'd do it at 60k but not before.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #62
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
100% no transmission oil change required on run in service. Transmission is "sealed for life" with oil never to be changed officially.i

Although I'd do it at 60k but not before.
Yep, updated my reply. Dunno why I thought tranny fluid was required. Off my rocker.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #63
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, as far as I'm aware, the break-in is more for the diff than the engine, but both need to be changed. On the write-up sheet after they perform said service, it should 100% show engine oil and diff oil. I can dig mine up where it clearly shows all being performed, as well as what fluid was used and the quantity.

EDIT: No tranny stuff. Im a dingus.
I've already explained to you the break-in service is NOT just for the diff. So saying "as far as you're aware" is wrong. You just choose selective awareness. I don't care what you do to your own car, but please stop telling people things that are clearly wrong.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00
      02-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #64
Conissah
Major
Rep

Quote:
I've already explained to you the break-in service is NOT just for the diff. So saying "as far as you're aware" is wrong. You just choose selective awareness. I don't care what you do to your own car, but please stop telling people things that are clearly wrong.
And OP may not care what you do to you car, stop assuming your way is the only way. You don't like my opinion, okay, but why are you assuming OP (or anyone else for that matter), agrees with you and your love for following the BMW procedure to a T?

(This is rhetorical btw. I'm done polluting this thread. Good day.)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:29 PM   #65
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And OP may not care what you do to you car, stop assuming your way is the only way and telling people what do to with their cars. You don't like my opinion, okay, but why are you assuming OP (or anyone else for that matter), agrees with you and your love for following the BMW procedure to a T?

(This is rhetorical btw. I'm done polluting this thread. Good day.)
When did I tell OP to do anything? And when did I tell anyone to follow BMW's procedure to a T? I've simply stated that your reasons that formed your "opinion" to not break-in your car are incorrect and I provided some reasons for it being wrong in hopes of you not convincing someone to do something potentially damaging to their vehicle.

Looking back in this thread, you're the only person I've ever replied to, so I never told OP to do anything. And I also never said people should follow BMW's procedure to a T.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #66
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Sorry for the hijack. I can't post new threads yet.
My service adviser at the dealership is telling me they have to take the car for a "long drive" to check for problems as part of the 2,000km run in service, which is why it takes a whole day to perform the service. The part of the service can't be skipped.

Are they taking me (and my car) for a ride?
Appreciate 0