01-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #45
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme2 View Post
Let me explain, since you didn't understand first time. With YouTube jockeys, it's easy to find conflicting videos as I have. I wasn't saying what I linked was the ultimate result, but it shows a different and more credible result also given that it was conducted on a race track by staff of a car magazine with proper data acquisition tools... not just cameras laying on the ground filming 2 clowns.

The M2 does extremely well as is - considering the bigger size it is, with 2 extra seats and trunk.
I understood, and mentioned the results in both videos are the same for the amount of distance travelled. im yet to see a drag race of these two by non youtube jockeys so would be happy to review if you have any links
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #46
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Looks like Supra is faster off the line. The Toyota suspension and tire package is better for drag races. The M2 pulls ahead first but the torque on the Sopra allows it to be ahead at 100 meters but then the top end horsepower on the S55 allows the M2C to score the win
The real explanation is probably just that the Supra has a better rear tire to total weight ratio.

Supra rear tires: 275/35ZR19 PSS
M2C rear tires: 265/35ZR19 PSS (optional: cup2)

So while the DCT M2C is 100kgs or so heavier than the Supra, it has slightly narrower tires, meaning a much worse weight to tire ratio.

Finally I think it is fair to assume that the Supra has a better weight distribution for drag racing than the M2C. The M2C is probably more front weight biased due to the 4 seat layout and the track-ready S55 with all of its radiators etc.

I don't think the actual rear suspension package matters much. The M2C probably has stiffer bushings, dampers, sway bars etc and lighter suspension arms. However they are both modern street oriented five link suspensions and whatever differences in toe and camber curves probably wont matter as much as the weight to tire factor.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #47
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Quote:
Looks like Supra is faster off the line. The Toyota suspension and tire package is better for drag races. The M2 pulls ahead first but the torque on the Sopra allows it to be ahead at 100 meters but then the top end horsepower on the S55 allows the M2C to score the win
The real explanation is probably just that the Supra has a better rear tire to total weight ratio.

So while the DCT M2C is 100kgs or so heavier than the Supra, it has slightly narrower tires, meaning a much worse weight to tire ratio.

Finally I think it is fair to assume that the Supra has a better weight distribution for drag racing than the M2C. The M2C is probably more front weight biased due to the 4 seat layout and the track-ready S55 with all of its radiators etc.

I don't think the actual rear suspension package matters much. The M2C probably has stiffer bushings, dampers, sway bars etc and lighter suspension arms. However they are both modern street oriented five link suspensions and whatever differences in toe and camber curves probably wont matter as much as the weight to tire factor.
There are actually other videos posted on another thread that show the M2C absolutely annilating the Supra. These things aren't exactly scientific.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:26 AM   #48
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post

The Supra also probably has a smaller frontal area and better drag characteristics because of that. The 2 series is very tall and boxy.

The suspension and traction control etc are from the G generation cars so I am sure it puts the power down a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #49
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
There are actually other videos posted on another thread that show the M2C absolutely annilating the Supra. These things aren't exactly scientific.
I have not driven a Supra, but I could easily believe the M2C could be beaten by one in a drag race. The M2C is a bit tame until the midrange and it still has trouble putting power down because it's still on PSS and they are 265 only. The Supra is lighter, has wider tires and newer generation tires, newer software, and B58 makes torque earlier.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:16 AM   #50
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
I have not driven a Supra, but I could easily believe the M2C could be beaten by one in a drag race. The M2C is a bit tame until the midrange and it still has trouble putting power down because it's still on PSS and they are 265 only. The Supra is lighter, has wider tires and newer generation tires, newer software, and B58 makes torque earlier.
I have a B58 and I don't feel there's a huge difference between an S55 and a B58. Especially one with all wheel drive. The M340ix has the same 0-60 as an M4 coupe per BMW though that is with the manual transmission and rear wheel drive though all S55 cars are rear drive. When the S58 becomes available in the M4 that will change things. Not sure how fast it is in the x4m.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #51
Madmat
Private
Argentina
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Amusing video, but I think that shows exactly the opposite that would happen in reality:
- Launch: Supra will smoke M2 mostly always.
- After that: You'll see the M2 shorting meters like hell.

I think this one shows what will really happen:

Besides all this,I have no doubt about it, b58 it's a beast, and we are just starting to see it's potential.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #52
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
I have a B58 and I don't feel there's a huge difference between an S55 and a B58. Especially one with all wheel drive. The M340ix has the same 0-60 as an M4 coupe per BMW though that is with the manual transmission and rear wheel drive though all S55 cars are rear drive. When the S58 becomes available in the M4 that will change things. Not sure how fast it is in the x4m.
The M4 is clearly faster than the M340i. Taking 0-100 as a reference is ridiculous
Appreciate 0