BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Key Fob Battery Replacement

01-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
BimmerAgent
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 1998 M3

Key Fob Battery Replacement

So I got a message on the instrument cluster that my key fob remote battery was low. Bought new batteries. Followed the instruction in the manual for replacement. When prying the fob apart as shown in the manual, the fob "cracked" when the halves separated. The interior of the fob looks different from the pictures in the manual. I was able to replace the battery, but now the halves won't click together. Seems that I broke the fob. Can anyone share insight into this? Is dealer the only source for a new fob?
Thanks. Bruce
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAgent View Post
So I got a message on the instrument cluster that my key fob remote battery was low. Bought new batteries. Followed the instruction in the manual for replacement. When prying the fob apart as shown in the manual, the fob "cracked" when the halves separated. The interior of the fob looks different from the pictures in the manual. I was able to replace the battery, but now the halves won't click together. Seems that I broke the fob. Can anyone share insight into this? Is dealer the only source for a new fob?
Thanks. Bruce
Sounds like you just need the fob case. Should be able to get an aftermarket or used one off of ebay.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Sounds like you just need the fob case. Should be able to get an aftermarket or used one off of ebay.
+1

I also never follow the instruction manual on how to pry the key apart, since the key blade is so wide it tends to damage the key fob when prying the little release tab. So what I do is use a smaller metal piece to pry it open. Since it is smaller than the gap and is essentially a dull piece of metal it doesn't cause any damage.
      01-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
BimmerAgent
Rep

Thanks for the ideas fellas.
I tested the fob while holding it together, and it works fine, so I just glued it back together. It has a new battery in it, and I can get to the tabs to open the battery cover in the future if I need to.
Just note--don't follow the directions for key fob battery replacement as it's shown in the manual. It's incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
I tested the fob while holding it together, and it works fine, so I just glued it back together. It has a new battery in it, and I can get to the tabs to open the battery cover in the future if I need to.
Just note--don't follow the directions for key fob battery replacement as it's shown in the manual. It's incorrect.
The manual does show it correctly, just make sure you put it in the correct slot.
      01-21-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Cool. Glad you got it figured out to where you're satisfied. I was gonna suggest gluing, but figured you wouldn't be able to open it back up if you did that.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #7
BimmerAgent
Rep

Thanks, Anthony. Hopefully I won't need to get to the electronics, but I'll be able to change the battery even though the case is glued.
Appreciate 0