BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Looking to trade in my F90 M5 for the M2 Competition

12-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #45
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
While the M2 interior is nice, it's not $60,000 nice IMO. Lots of hard plastic, subpar sound system, and stiff seats.
That seems to be a common complaint here, and granted, compared to an M5 (albeit at twice the price) it's a step-down. We sometimes (often?) forget that it is a variant of the 2 series, the lowest level BMW car offered in this country (USA). If you don't count mini (and I don't).

My M2 replaced a C7 Corvette. So it was quite an improvement in nearly every regard, quality of materials, assembly, glue smell and ease of entry. Performance... well, they're different animals. The Corvette may have the upper hand in raw performance numbers, but the M2 is more fun to drive.
I'd say the M2C's interior is on par with my 2018 GTI SE. The leather might not be as good as the GTI actually. I paid ~$27,000 out the door new for that car.

...and I couldn't be happier with the M2C! I knew what I was getting into, and it definitely wasn't a luxury car.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #46
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
I'd say the M2C's interior is on par with my 2018 GTI SE. The leather might not be as good as the GTI actually. I paid ~$27,000 out the door new for that car.
I considered the GTI (long before I thought about the M2) and if I had to replace the M2 now, I'd probably get the GTI, and probably in SE form.

I'm curious to hear your (and others) impressions of the GTI.

yeah, sorry.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #47
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Just want to reiterate this. While the M2 interior is nice, it's not $60,000 nice IMO. Lots of hard plastic, subpar sound system, and stiff seats. Now granted I, and I'm sure everyone else here, didn't buy the car because they wanted to worlds nicest interior, but definitely something to note, especially coming from an M5.
Well, the interior is not really a debate... go carts do not exactly have a nice interior... I am more worried about the driving experience and the fun factor. Also now you can pick up an M4 in Canada for pretty much the same price as an M2 comp with nicer interior, 6 speed and carbon roof... now, after the M5, would I be much more thrilled driving the M2 over M4....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #48
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
Well, the interior is not really a debate... go carts do not exactly have a nice interior... I am more worried about the driving experience and the fun factor. Also now you can pick up an M4 in Canada for pretty much the same price as an M2 comp with nicer interior, 6 speed and carbon roof... now, after the M5, would I be much more thrilled driving the M2 over M4....
Just to try and clarify, the interior is nice, especially coming from my 13 year old Infiniti. It's also nice compared to my fiance's $27,000 2019 Mazda 3, but it's not twice as nice. I guess what I was trying to say is that it's not as nice as one would expect for $60,000 USD, nor is it as nice as some of its competitors (Audi RS3 anyone). Like I said previously, I didn't buy the car for the interior, I bought it because it feels special, it's incredibly fun to drive, and it's very engaging. If the M2C and M4 were the same price here, I would 100% still pick the M2. The short wheel base makes it feel incredibly lively. I love how small and nimble it is. That being said, short wheelbase cars can also tend to be more tricky to hold on the edge, as the rear can rotate around much faster than on a long wheelbase car, but on the street I will never be able to push the car anywhere near it's limits. Go drive both, and buy whichever you like more!
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
      12-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #49
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

I thought I could live with the spartan interior of the M2. I could. But thats not the problem. Its all the cheap materials, starting with the seats. I would rather have cloth seats than Dakota leather, hands down no questions asked. Also, build quality, if Im paying 50 or 60k plus for a car, I expect some level of craftsmanship. All i got was a bunch squeaks and rattles from cheap plastics everywhere.

Im not sure if the M2C fixes any of that, but if it were me, knowing what I know about both cars, I would stick with the M5 until the new M3. If you really want out of it, I guess a nice M3 would do. One of the good things about the M2 is the size though. Very good if you go into the city a lot.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #50
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The M5 is pretty sweet ride, if I was into autos and had a garage to fit one, I would consider It.

Come to think about it, the only thing that really draws me towards the M2 is it's bite-size body.

I prefer how the M4 looks over the M2C anyways but it's so big.. #ThatsWhatSheSaid
Appreciate 1
av.7447180.00
      12-19-2019, 04:17 AM   #51
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Very interesting and weird review..... I swear I had suspicions about the m2c as all the reviews are too good to be true and personally I only drove a dct M2c on the street and was less impressed by it than the regular M2... I already wanted to go an place an order for the 6 speed but this actually makes me rethink my options! Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #52
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:

Very interesting and weird review..... I swear I had suspicions about the m2c as all the reviews are too good to be true and personally I only drove a dct M2c on the street and was less impressed by it than the regular M2... I already wanted to go an place an order for the 6 speed but this actually makes me rethink my options! Any ideas?
It's a super fun street car. I've heard other reviews that say it's not that great on the track:

It's pretty tail happy on the street. So, I can imagine it's worse/undesirable on the track.

My sales rep was trying to sell me on it being a full blown "track weapon" and I knew better, lol.

As for weight- yes it's a little bloated compared to more focused sports cars and even my little GTI which was surprising to me when I first got into the M2C. There was quite a noticeable difference in weight. But the M2C is much more powerful and handles way better. Balance is great.

Brakes- I don't know what he's talking about. Great so far.

Power- great on the street. I can spin the wheels in third gear. Again, probably not desirable on the track.

I've driven it on the winding roads around Lake Travis/Austin and had a blast!
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
av.7447180.00
Poochie9103.00
      12-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #53
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
When it comes to tracking an M2C (or pretty much any street legal M car for that matter, maybe except for M4 GTS), you'll be very disappointed if you go to the track with a 100% bone stock car. I still remember doing that in my first track day with my M4C and at the end of each session brake pedal would go to the floor without any exaggeration. So you need better pads and fluid at the minimum. Secondly, Michelin PSS is great for street but average at best for track duty unless you are a novice. On top of this, M2C comes with 265 rears while having the exact same torque figure as M3/M4 and almost same power as the base M3/M4. In other words, it's very under-tired in stock form. My M2C is far from stock with coilovers, 275 square NT01s for track, aftermarket BBK etc. (3420lbs with full tank) and I can confidently say that it's a much better track car than my previous M4C. Objective proof is my laptimes but the subjective proof, which is the most important one for me, is the fun factor. I loved my M4 but I must admit I never had as much fun on the track as I did with my M2C. To summarize, M2C is such a joy to drive especially when you tweak couple things for the track.

That being said, we are planning to start a family and I might actually do the opposite switch (M2C to M5C or E63S Wagon) in the near future.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
cptobvious2531.50
      12-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #54
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
When it comes to tracking an M2C (or pretty much any street legal M car for that matter, maybe except for M4 GTS), you'll be very disappointed if you go to the track with a 100% bone stock car. I still remember doing that in my first track day with my M4C and at the end of each session brake pedal would go to the floor without any exaggeration. So you need better pads and fluid at the minimum. Secondly, Michelin PSS is great for street but average at best for track duty unless you are a novice. On top of this, M2C comes with 265 rears while having the exact same torque figure as M3/M4 and almost same power as the base M3/M4. In other words, it's very under-tired in stock form. My M2C is far from stock with coilovers, 275 square NT01s for track, aftermarket BBK etc. (3420lbs with full tank) and I can confidently say that it's a much better track car than my previous M4C. Objective proof is my laptimes but the subjective proof, which is the most important one for me, is the fun factor. I loved my M4 but I must admit I never had as much fun on the track as I did with my M2C. To summarize, M2C is such a joy to drive especially when you tweak couple things for the track.

That being said, we are planning to start a family and I might actually do the opposite switch (M2C to M5C or E63S Wagon) in the near future.
I actually think that my M5 is an absolute beast on a track. The only real issue that I have found with it is the stock Pireli’s were overheating after 4-5 laps while the brakes had absolutely 0 fade. That might be an easy fix by simply swapping to the track tires, but I have yet to try that... I also miss the manual and the m5 is pretty boring to drive on the street. I guess I will keep my M5 for now and see what the new M3/M4 will have in store for us when it’s released.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #55
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I actually think that my M5 is an absolute beast on a track. The only real issue that I have found with it is the stock Pireli’s were overheating after 4-5 laps while the brakes had absolutely 0 fade. That might be an easy fix by simply swapping to the track tires, but I have yet to try that... I also miss the manual and the m5 is pretty boring to drive on the street. I guess I will keep my M5 for now and see what the new M3/M4 will have in store for us when it’s released.
That's interesting assuming you don't have the carbon ceramics. I agree that F90 M5 is a very capable car. I rented one for a day last summer in Munich and in addition to the infamous German autobahn I also took it to some back roads. It actually impressed me more on the twisties than it did on the autobahn (don't get me wrong, it's a rocket on the autobahn but straight line top speed runs gets a bit boring after a few times for me). Also this was a base M5 not a comp. I seriously thought it handled better than my M4C which was on lowering springs. However, a few months ago, I got to drive M5C for about 40min as part of BMW's M Town Tour. Just to make it clear, they handed me the keys and I got to drive it however I wanted without being under the watch of a salesperson. Again, I was very very impressed but jumping into my M2C right after made me realize the size difference and how it contributes to the overall feeling. As I said, I'm still seriously considering the M5C as a family car but unfortunately it's definitely not nearly as fun and nimble as my M2C 6MT (this should be pretty obvious but anyways).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #56
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
That's interesting assuming you don't have the carbon ceramics. I agree that F90 M5 is a very capable car. I rented one for a day last summer in Munich and in addition to the infamous German autobahn I also took it to some back roads. It actually impressed me more on the twisties than it did on the autobahn (don't get me wrong, it's a rocket on the autobahn but straight line top speed runs gets a bit boring after a few times for me). Also this was a base M5 not a comp. I seriously thought it handled better than my M4C which was on lowering springs. However, a few months ago, I got to drive M5C for about 40min as part of BMW's M Town Tour. Just to make it clear, they handed me the keys and I got to drive it however I wanted without being under the watch of a salesperson. Again, I was very very impressed but jumping into my M2C right after made me realize the size difference and how it contributes to the overall feeling. As I said, I'm still seriously considering the M5C as a family car but unfortunately it's definitely not nearly as fun and nimble as my M2C 6MT (this should be pretty obvious but anyways).
I drove the M5 (not comp) at the M Track Days in Monticello and agree. The M5 is so fast and easier to drive, but not nearly as fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #57
bmw.jeff.k
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

i just swapped out of my 2018 M5 (had for 13 months) into a 2020 M2C 6 speed manual. Had 2018 F80 comp with 6 speed manual prior to M5. I really missed the the engagement and interaction with the car. My friends did not understand the switch. It is not the rational choice if you follow more is better. However, the M2C is much more engaging at somewhat legal speeds. M5 is an animal but you really need to be driving much faster than posted limits to really get excited. Ultimately, it depends on what YOU want from the experience. FYI, you can get a 540 for road trips and crusing and an M2C for about the same amount as the M5. I actually picked up an X3 to go with my M2C.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      01-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #58
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

I'd take this review with a grain of salt. He drove a bunch of much nicer cars before the M2C. There's also a theory floating around that this press cars brakes were faulty to begin with.

I'd personally keep the M5.
Appreciate 0