BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Front Lip Protection

12-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Front Lip Protection

Wondering what people are using for protecting the bottom of their front lip from rashes and scrapes. For my Z4M, I had thin fiberglass plates fabricated by a club member that taped to the bottom of the splitter. The clearance on my 2017 M2 seems even less since I have to be careful getting out of my own driveway which I never had a problem with the Z4M. I am not looking for a complete aero add-on splitter that will reduce my ground clearance even further. The only thing I've seen so far is this Acexxon protector, but have seen no reviews or photos of it installed: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=T50-1-1000-01.
      12-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay, don't understand why this got moved to engine and drive train tuning. Maybe if it didn't belong in the general forum it should move to cosmetic?
      12-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
I would have it clear or gloss black wrapped on the underside.

The you can just remove and reapply if it gets nasty
      12-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

hard to tell how thick those things are - i'd be concerned about making the bottom edge even lower than it is. The fat that it creates a lip on the backside is of concern as well. I don't know well the adhesive works, but i'd hate to accidentally get it stuck over something and damage the bumper backing up (I tore the bumper skin off my E46 this way last winter)

OT but it's cool to see a "local" F87 - mind if I ask if you've driven in central CT at all - say Middletown/Portland area? I'm sort of in the market, or plan to be soon and would be interested to here how it is on some roads I'm actually familiar with. Test drove one over in Danbury but everything is comfortable on smooth roads.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

I used Dynamat...lol worked really good...

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
I would have it clear or gloss black wrapped on the underside.

The you can just remove and reapply if it gets nasty
Actually previous owner had it wrapped in 3m film. The piece covering the front fascia wraps to the underside of the spoiler. But the bottom edge of the front lips is already ragged torn film from a couple of small misjudgements. Thinking I need something a little more substantial than just the film at this point.
      12-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
hard to tell how thick those things are - i'd be concerned about making the bottom edge even lower than it is. The fat that it creates a lip on the backside is of concern as well. I don't know well the adhesive works, but i'd hate to accidentally get it stuck over something and damage the bumper backing up (I tore the bumper skin off my E46 this way last winter)
I only had a week to find something off a lot somewhere after my Z4M roadster was declared a total loss. So not a lot of time to do research. I assumed that the F87 had front PDC and didn't discover the opposite until I took delivery. Live and learn. Anyway I hear you, but I may just buy the kit anyway to see how it is. It's not ridiculous $$ and from the photos looks similar in thickness to some fiberglass lip protectors that I had on the Z4M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
OT but it's cool to see a "local" F87 - mind if I ask if you've driven in central CT at all - say Middletown/Portland area? I'm sort of in the market, or plan to be soon and would be interested to here how it is on some roads I'm actually familiar with. Test drove one over in Danbury but everything is comfortable on smooth roads.
I live in a rural area of Middletown and the M2 is my all seasons daily driver, so I drive over the local crap roads every day. I have 245/R18-40 Pilot Alpin snows on now. But even with the 19" stock rims and wheels I've been impressed with how it handles the beat up roads where I live. Even in sport mode it is significantly better than the Z4M which had a front strut brace and 255/R18-40's in the rear. A good friend recently took a ride with me and commented immediately how less "skittish" the M2 seemed on the broken roads than the Z4M ever was. Only complaint I have right now is a slight creak between the windshield and the passenger side A pillar going over certain bumps. Next oil change I'll have them look at that.
      12-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

I use Scrape Armor under my M2’s front bumper. It’s custom-made for the M2 and fits/looks great. My local detailer iinstalled it for around $400. It’s in three separate pieces for the M2 so if you tore up one piece you could presumably replace just that piece. I’m very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
I use Scrape Armor under my M2’s front bumper. It’s custom-made for the M2 and fits/looks great. My local detailer iinstalled it for around $400. It’s in three separate pieces for the M2 so if you tore up one piece you could presumably replace just that piece. I’m very happy with it.
Thanks, that looks great and one of the most well known custom car tuning shops near me appears to be an installer! Can you post pics of your front splitter?
      12-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

Anyone have front winglets and use scrape armor? Curious if you can slap em over the winglets.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

found these which look like they might be a good option for people with aftermarket lips
https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=T50-1-1000-01
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
found these which look like they might be a good option for people with aftermarket lips
https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=T50-1-1000-01
Just received these. I'll give feedback after installed. They're just plain rubber which is a bit tacky and seems like it might pull itself off vs allows the ground to slide over it like skatedboard rib protectors...Teflon-like. Found an alternative option called Sliplo but you must buy through a distributor and not private so it's prob a fortune. The local Xpel dealers here in Vegas are listed on their website so we'll see.
      12-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
Just received these. I'll give feedback after installed. They're just plain rubber which is a bit tacky and seems like it might pull itself off vs allows the ground to slide over it like skatedboard rib protectors...Teflon-like. Found an alternative option called Sliplo but you must buy through a distributor and not private so it's prob a fortune. The local Xpel dealers here in Vegas are listed on their website so we'll see.
ah that's a bummer to hear that it's tacky rubber. I thought it would be some kind of polymer like Scrape Armor. Not sure why they went with a high friction material when low friction would make more sense for this type of application.

Looking forward to your feedback of it
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      12-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #14
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ah that's a bummer to hear that it's tacky rubber. I thought it would be some kind of polymer like Scrape Armor. Not sure why they went with a high friction material when low friction would make more sense for this type of application.

Looking forward to your feedback of it
+1 wanting some feedback on these. Agreed that high friction material makes no sense to me at all. Would also like to know how thick they are. Scrape Armor claims to be under 2mm.
      12-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #15
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Scrape Armor is something like 5 times the price. Id love to see a pic of the IND product installed!
      12-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Just a thought. Modifying a skateboard rail might work. I’d probably put 2 on each corner, cut to fit & either tape or screw to underside of lip. But it will only protect against curbs or continuous horizontal objects. My lip got damaged by a parking curb. It wasn’t the curb that did it but the rebar that secures it to the spot. The rebar wasn’t cut flush to the curb and gouged the spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

They also make a piece to protect tail of skateboard that could work. I’d angle back of it to keep it from getting caught on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Powell-Peralta-Tail-Bone-White-8/dp/B016BZYFC6/ref=pd_sim_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B016BZYFC6 &pd_rd_r=b65e8c95-06ce-11e9-add8-73a0b1357621&pd_rd_w=F8o0z&pd_rd_wg9JTQW1CBDS4
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Sorry about the delay. Here are some (admittedly poor) pictures of the Scrape Armor on my M2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #19
DaveZ
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
Sorry about the delay. Here are some (admittedly poor) pictures of the Scrape Armor on my M2.
Thanks, that is exactly what I'm looking for
      08-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
Sliplo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

NEW! Do It Yourself Protection

For those of you still looking for protection for your bumpers and lower lips, check out our Do It Yourself SLiPLO Universal Skid Plate system.

How SLiPLO Works

SLiPLO Facts:
  • Protects against steep driveways, parking blocks and pothole damage.
  • Universal design fits virtually any car bumper
  • Fast and easy installation
  • No drilling or hardware required
  • Can be removed without any damage
  • Free US Shipping
  • 30 day money back guarantee
  • 10 year warranty

To order SLiPLO, check out SLiPLO.com
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliplo View Post
For those of you still looking for protection for your bumpers and lower lips, check out our Do It Yourself SLiPLO Universal Skid Plate system.

How SLiPLO Works

SLiPLO Facts:
  • Protects against steep driveways, parking blocks and pothole damage.
  • Universal design fits virtually any car bumper
  • Fast and easy installation
  • No drilling or hardware required
  • Can be removed without any damage
  • Free US Shipping
  • 30 day money back guarantee
  • 10 year warranty

To order SLiPLO, check out SLiPLO.com
what material is it made of? Is it rubber which would be sticky or is it a polymer based material that has low friction coeff?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #22
Sliplo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

SLiPLO

Quote:
what material is it made of? Is it rubber which would be sticky or is it a polymer based material that has low friction coeff?
Thanks for your reply. SLiPLO is made out of a special blend of polyurethane, which absorbs impact and glides on asphalt. This is actually the same material they use for snowplows. It improves gliding by 40% while reducing friction.
Appreciate 3
nioh_lbbm21716.50
pz6193277.00
Infamus75.00