BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine Hesitation/Stutter Light & Medium Load

05-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
gtaM2
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Help View Post
The terribly loud clinking noise has gone away for now. Will try uploading video of it tonight. Hesitation seems to be getting worse, worst part is its not triggering a check engine light....

Wont have more updates until early next week. Taking the car to mechanic on Monday to have it properly looked at.
not sure if this is smart advice but have you tried hammering the throttle when its hesitating? that's how i got my engine light to eventually come on, again not sure if wise but it worked for me
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #24
Beyond Help
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
not sure if this is smart advice but have you tried hammering the throttle when its hesitating? that's how i got my engine light to eventually come on, again not sure if wise but it worked for me
I have taken the car to the track with the hesitation on light load. If the check engine light was gonna turn on it probably would of done so by now. On WOT the car pulls amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #25
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Being able to log would probably help nail things down.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
Beyond Help
Private
United_States
Rep

Had a few min to upload. Noise in the clip below.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #27
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Holy crap man, that sounds horrible!

Should be easy enough to narrow down with a sound like that. GL
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #28
Beyond Help
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
Quote:
Holy crap man, that sounds horrible!

Should be easy enough to narrow down with a sound like that. GL
Yes that is not a normal hahaha. The problem is it happened for 2 days then disappeared.....
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #29
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Holy shit, that's the craziest damn noise I have ever heard coming from an engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #30
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Holy shit, that's the craziest damn noise I have ever heard coming from an engine bay.
Well, I spoke too soon . My car is doing it now too. I spoke with TTFS today and was told that it's most likely a fuel map condition that they didn't take into account. For example, it's hotter out than it has been, the car Wis idling for a while, the ECU is calling for a bunch of fuel, even though the engine doesn't need that much fuel because of the fact that the pump supplies five times more than the stock pump ever could. I'm not sure if that makes sense the way I explained it but it made sense the way it was explain to me. The other thing is that the pump has no ability to send the unused fuel back to the fuel tank. So it was explaining me that the bleed off valve is what's making all that noise. Important thing is that I was told that is definitely the pump making a noise and it's not anything that's going to cause and immediate problem with the way the car runs or do any damage to anything.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #31
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #32
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Did you ever figure this out?
Yes. It has only happened one or twice under very specific circumstances and everything has been fine with the pump, car, time, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #33
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Yes. It has only happened one or twice under very specific circumstances and everything has been fine with the pump, car, time, etc.
Glad you got yours sorted. How about OP?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #34
whoismorggan
Bimmer Nut + Software Dev
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3 Premium +

Garage List
I’m experiencing this even after having replaced both spark plugs and ignition coils. Did you get your issue sorted out, OP?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #35
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

any updates on this?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #36
Yakkoox
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Any update please?
I have the same problem with the same setup..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #37
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

The light load hesitation has popped up in my custom tuning with Paul Johnson. I also have an XDI-35 HPFP with the toggle checked in Bootmod3.

I've attached a couple logs of the issue... we've tried multiple fixes but so far none of worked. Any ideas?

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed3...90c661a0849dfe

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed3...0b4312bfa123c1
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #38
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
I'm still having this problem with slight power surges and hiccups with low load. I'm running a PS2 with an XDi35 hpfp and changing plugs hasn't helped. Just to be clear, is everyone experiencing the problem also running an XDi35 hpfp? If not, please list your mods.
      06-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #39
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
I'm still having this problem with slight power surges and hiccups with low load. I'm running a PS2 with an XDi35 hpfp and changing plugs hasn't helped. Just to be clear, is everyone experiencing the problem also running an XDi35 hpfp? If not, please list your mods.
I am also running an XDI-35 HPFP with a PS2 turbo. Paul Johnson has been trying a few fixes with me. Few of them have made it less abrupt, however we haven't fixed it entirely. He has a few more tricks up his sleeve - just trying each one by one.

Next up is slowing the throttle down in that area of the tune.

Here's a few replies from a Bootmod3 Enthusiast thread where they reviewed my logs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton
Looks like it's all correlated to the load; timing, MAP, and Load are oscillating quite a bit and I can see the correlation to the engine rpm and likely the stumble or shutter that you feel. The throttle angle is moving >10% with less than 5% driver input at those ranges too. Couple things your tuner can adjust like slowing down the throttle settings so there isn't so much load fluctuation at these low inputs but this all looks like more driveability tuning needed. The fueling doesn't look like an issue here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton
With Sport and S+ throttle settings are quite aggressive from the factory and generally with larger turbos or higher power maps it's beneficial to slow the throttle down to allow better driver control. The zone where you were at could just be a hard part in the mapping to modulate easily since you have a bigger turbo with meth so all the tables had to be increased...this zone you're transitioning between cruising and power so it could be a finicky spot. Slowing the throttles down is likely the easiest solution so you as the driver can transition between load and cruising more easily without the studder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
I didn’t look at the log but I trust Kenton von’s observations.

The N55 M2 stock throttle maps are honestly garbage in S+ IMHO so reducing the sensitivity will help.

Remember throttle maps are a % of torque demand. The more torque your motor can target the more the relative torque based on throttle input will be.

So all throttle inputs become amplified in a way when making more than stock power.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 11:46 PM   #40
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I apologize for the double post, but I figured I'd let you know Paul Johnson seems to have fixed my stumbling issue. Like the Bootmod3 Enthusiast Facebook posts said - it was most likely a drive ability / smoothness issue in the tune.

In this last revision from Paul that focused on the stumble / hesitation, he stated he "made a few adjustments to slow down the throttle in that area", and it definitely helped. I went for a 2 hour drive and never once experienced the issue whereas prior to this it was reproducible each and every time. Massive improvement, and while not detrimental to vehicle health, I'm glad the car is back to feeling smooth once again.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:10 AM   #41
Yakkoox
Registered
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

I also run de xdi35 hpfp.
I’m considering to move over to a dorche hpfp..
Support and service from XDI (TTFS) is so bad.
Bye bye 2600euro for me
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #42
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
I apologize for the double post, but I figured I'd let you know Paul Johnson seems to have fixed my stumbling issue. Like the Bootmod3 Enthusiast Facebook posts said - it was most likely a drive ability / smoothness issue in the tune.

In this last revision from Paul that focused on the stumble / hesitation, he stated he "made a few adjustments to slow down the throttle in that area", and it definitely helped. I went for a 2 hour drive and never once experienced the issue whereas prior to this it was reproducible each and every time. Massive improvement, and while not detrimental to vehicle health, I'm glad the car is back to feeling smooth once again.
That's great news! I'm hopeful I can have my tuner do the same, but I don't quite understand what "slow down the throttle in that area" means? In my case, when I'm giving the car 20%-50% light throttle under regular cruising driving conditions is when I experience the hiccups. Is that your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakkoox View Post
I’m considering to move over to a dorche hpfp..
Bye bye 2600euro for me
Don't give up quite yet, it sounds like it may be a tuning issue and Endeav might be onto the solution.
      06-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #43
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post

That's great news! I'm hopeful I can have my tuner do the same, but I don't quite understand what "slow down the throttle in that area" means? In my case, when I'm giving the car 20%-50% light throttle under regular cruising driving conditions is when I experience the hiccups. Is that your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakkoox View Post
I'm considering to move over to a dorche hpfp..
Bye bye 2600euro for me
Don't give up quite yet, it sounds like it may be a tuning issue and Endeav might be onto the solution.
That is exactly my experience!

Unfortunately I don't know exactly which tables Paul edited, I just quoted what he said in my email as to what he changed in the revision. I imagine it has something to do with how much load is applied at that throttle position?

I wish I could shed some more light on this but it honestly sounds like an issue with the OEM throttle mapping being overly aggressive down low and overly touchy (relationship between pedal position and throttle plate?) and when switching to the PS2 turbo with the XDI pump that the OEM throttle mapping just doesn't match up nicely to the new setup.

It's a big drive ability thing and not an issue with the XDI pump. Or so it seems....
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #44
Yakkoox
Registered
Belgium
Rep

My problem started after i had fuel starvation on track.
My car goes to limp mode, I reset this and filled my car back up.
Next day I had this problem..

Here are some logs:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed3...90c66237c1cfe1

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed2...729b6c712900a9

Can someone please help me?
Appreciate 0