BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M Performance Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim DIY

11-21-2017, 04:54 AM   #1
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

M Performance Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim DIY

I couldn't find a DIY with pictures for this so I took pictures while I did mine. I really like how on the M2 the open pore dry carbon fiber trim on the steering wheel really ties together the whole interior and it does it right in front of the driver, the most important place.

You need a 10 mm ratchet, 20 torx (T20), and a flathead screwdriver that's on the slimmer side.

I used this post as a guide but the pictures are gone.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1066795

Here it is installed.

This is the piece resting unfortunately on my lap, sorry. Part # 32302413480 Some other places make non OEM version with no logo but only gloss CF. You can get the light gray interior trim piece in CF too or some other color.

We don't want the airbag to blow up in our face so we are going to unhook the negative side of the battery. That means you won't be able to open the trunk once the car has no power. Open your car door, open your trunk, then unlatch the the back seats so they fold down. Now if you lock the trunk later you can crawl in through the back seat if needed.

Pull up the floor of the trunk to get at the battery. You want to unhook the NEGATIVE side with a 10mm socket. It's on the right side of the battery, it's clearly marked. I used a cloth to keep the wire from swinging back into the negative terminal once it was off because it wants swing back over that way. Don't unhook the positive side! Don't fucking close the trunk!

Then hang out and wait however long you think you need to before you safely remove the airbag. I waited 20 minutes. I played Mario while I waited.

When you're ready get a flathead screwdriver and put it through the hole on the left side of the steering wheel. I found I needed to aim it slightly angled down and push in and down. You will feel the spring push in and stop. I held it there with my knee and then pulled the left side of the airbag out.

Now do the same for the hole on the right side. If everything goes right then you will be able to pull the airbag off and it won't explode in your face costing you money and self injury. Now you can see those springs you were pushing in that are between the black gaps.

Unplug the airbag by disconnecting the single connector from the hub. I believe there was a tab on the top you need to press down to pull the tab out. No picture for this. You will have to use theater of the mind!

Use the Torx 20 to unscrew the two screws on the front holding the trim into place. Then unscrew the last screw holding the trim in place on the bottom behind the wheel. Ignore that in the pictures I foolishly still have the airbag connected.

Now pull the old and busted trim up and out. Be careful that nothing important is stuck on the back of the trim when it comes off. For me there was a piece of foam that came up with it. Put that back where it belongs...

Now install your new trim! Pretty much the reverse of what you just did. I lined up the bottom and then put the trim in and it easily snapped into place. I took a moment to make sure that the tabs on the top and the bottom of the airbag cavity all fit the way they should. Everything seemed snug so go ahead and screw in the two front screws, then the one on the back of the wheel.

Now clip the airbag wire back in. I didn't have any issue with this, just put it back in and make sure it's snug. Should only go in one way and I can only assume the car will let you know if you did this wrong when you turn it on....

You can see on the back of the airbag there are two prongs that match those two holes where you can see the spring. Just firmly with your hands on both the left and right side of the airbag push it back in. You should feel a bit of resistance from the spring but it should be easy.

Now you're almost finished! Look at that!

Now go back and put the battery wiring back on the negative terminal. It's going to spark a little. Now I have heard it would be smart to turn your headlights on before you do this so a portion of the power is directed to the lights and doesn't fry the computers or anything. I didn't do this. I really don't know what the true risks are here. Thread on disconnecting and reconnecting battery and possible issues here. Long story short though no one had any issue. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536112

Okay now it's time to turn the car on and see if disaster strikes. Move your face out of the way of the airbag.... lol.

Oh look at this, notification on my iDrive. What could it be? Car factory reset? Nope. Just wants the time and date manually set. I think just the time actually.

That's it. You're done!

Last edited by akkando; 12-28-2017 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 21
Prodigy.697.50
AngryBaby344.50
Perp73.50
dj202093.50
Dav3946.50
QM287.00
bollinm25.00
izzyM2641.00
DanG10447.00
Fedorov160.50
Altra265.50
gphung193.50
jkoral1016.00
VisualEcho6625.50
      11-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Great DIY mate, thanks for posting, will definitely come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Well done!
      11-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Thanks for this. VERY similar to how it’s done on my E46 M3.

It’s not a cheap piece but looks very nice. I already have the center console/hand brake carbon kit so this would look great on my car. This one will tug at me, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
rwgeld58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Excellent DIY. Have the piece and really want to do this but the whole airbag thing makes me leary. Is there any real chance of it going off if battery disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgeld58 View Post
Excellent DIY. Have the piece and really want to do this but the whole airbag thing makes me leary. Is there any real chance of it going off if battery disconnected?
I installed this also and was concerned about it and I would say that it is highly unlikely if you follow these instructions. The airbag is fully contained in the horn piece and per this DIY guide is only held in place by the 2 spring clips and 1 harness plug. I might add that there are I believe 5-7 (I forget) clips on the circular portion of the trim so to unclip the old one I just used my fingernails to pop them inwards towards the center. Whole job took 10 minutes and 5 went to locating and disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by OGM2; 12-03-2017 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
rwgeld58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks. Did you actually unplug the airbag once out?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgeld58 View Post
Thanks. Did you actually unplug the airbag once out?
Yes, you are unplugging the airbag by unplugging the harness adaptor which also disconnects the horn since it's all 1 unit.. The safety precaution in regards to the airbag is why you disconnect the battery first.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

If these air bags are so delicate...I should probably stop hammering on the horn when some jack-ass does something dumb in front of me on the road....which in this town is pretty much daily what with all the old people, soccer moms and new Canadians.

I have this piece as well. Will use this guide when my car finally gets here. Thanks OP.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

I installed this today. It looks great (matches the CF I put in the center console\shifter). It's not obvious from this DIY, but pull the 1 main plug for the airbag at the hub, not the 3 separate plugs from the back of the airbag itself. I did hit a little tab on that with a tiny screwdriver.

The airbag comes off a LOT easier than on my E46.

This whole thing only took me 10 minutes. Super easy to do. Thanks OP for digging in and taking some pics.
Appreciate 1
rocke29105.50
      12-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Few things after doing this

- use a normal-ish flat head, a super slim or electronics flathead won't work here. Feel it out, the springs are soft/squishy and it doesn't take a ton of force to detatch.

- the yellow clip for the airbag connector CANNOT be just muscled out. Learned this the hard way and snapped a seemingly unnecessary piece of plastic off the backside of the connector. In fact, there is a tab on the top of the connector. Wedge your finger in here, push down, and then pull it out.
      12-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Few things after doing this

- use a normal-ish flat head, a super slim or electronics flathead won't work here. Feel it out, the springs are soft/squishy and it doesn't take a ton of force to detatch.

- the yellow clip for the airbag connector CANNOT be just muscled out. Learned this the hard way and snapped a seemingly unnecessary piece of plastic off the backside of the connector. In fact, there is a tab on the top of the connector. Wedge your finger in here, push down, and then pull it out.
Okay guide updated.
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      03-25-2018, 12:18 AM   #13
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Thanks for this, just installed with ease.

I have the M perf wheel with race display too but think I'll get that done at the dealer next service....if I think I can put up with flashing shift lights.
Little off topic but anyone know if they can be toggled on/off? I can't see to find this information.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I did this today. I had a little trouble getting the airbag to release but all worked out well. Thanks for the DYI.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

If you're thinking about a paddle upgrade you should do both at once while the wheel is apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you're thinking about a paddle upgrade you should do both at once while the wheel is apart.
Just changes the trim. I like the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #17
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Here is a picture of my install:
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
qnet676.00
ChrisK4449.00
      10-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
A small help

....if you have a short length of welding rod or a pistol cleaning rod, , the blunt end will work better than the flathead screw driver. Everything else is spot on, thanks !

QUOTE=akkando;22448392]I couldn't find a DIY with pictures for this so I took pictures while I did mine. I really like how on the M2 the open pore dry carbon fiber trim on the steering wheel really ties together the whole interior and it does it right in front of the driver, the most important place.

You need a 10 mm ratchet, 20 torx (T20), and a flathead screwdriver that's on the slimmer side.

I used this post as a guide but the pictures are gone.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1066795

Here it is installed.

This is the piece resting unfortunately on my lap, sorry. Part # 32302413480 Some other places make non OEM version with no logo but only gloss CF. You can get the light gray interior trim piece in CF too or some other color.

We don't want the airbag to blow up in our face so we are going to unhook the negative side of the battery. That means you won't be able to open the trunk once the car has no power. Open your car door, open your trunk, then unlatch the the back seats so they fold down. Now if you lock the trunk later you can crawl in through the back seat if needed.

Pull up the floor of the trunk to get at the battery. You want to unhook the NEGATIVE side with a 10mm socket. It's on the right side of the battery, it's clearly marked. I used a cloth to keep the wire from swinging back into the negative terminal once it was off because it wants swing back over that way. Don't unhook the positive side! Don't fucking close the trunk!

Then hang out and wait however long you think you need to before you safely remove the airbag. I waited 20 minutes. I played Mario while I waited.

When you're ready get a flathead screwdriver and put it through the hole on the left side of the steering wheel. I found I needed to aim it slightly angled down and push in and down. You will feel the spring push in and stop. I held it there with my knee and then pulled the left side of the airbag out.

Now do the same for the hole on the right side. If everything goes right then you will be able to pull the airbag off and it won't explode in your face costing you money and self injury. Now you can see those springs you were pushing in that are between the black gaps.

Unplug the airbag by disconnecting the single connector from the hub. I believe there was a tab on the top you need to press down to pull the tab out. No picture for this. You will have to use theater of the mind!

Use the Torx 20 to unscrew the two screws on the front holding the trim into place. Then unscrew the last screw holding the trim in place on the bottom behind the wheel. Ignore that in the pictures I foolishly still have the airbag connected.

Now pull the old and busted trim up and out. Be careful that nothing important is stuck on the back of the trim when it comes off. For me there was a piece of foam that came up with it. Put that back where it belongs...

Now install your new trim! Pretty much the reverse of what you just did. I lined up the bottom and then put the trim in and it easily snapped into place. I took a moment to make sure that the tabs on the top and the bottom of the airbag cavity all fit the way they should. Everything seemed snug so go ahead and screw in the two front screws, then the one on the back of the wheel.

Now clip the airbag wire back in. I didn't have any issue with this, just put it back in and make sure it's snug. Should only go in one way and I can only assume the car will let you know if you did this wrong when you turn it on....

You can see on the back of the airbag there are two prongs that match those two holes where you can see the spring. Just firmly with your hands on both the left and right side of the airbag push it back in. You should feel a bit of resistance from the spring but it should be easy.

Now you're almost finished! Look at that!

Now go back and put the battery wiring back on the negative terminal. It's going to spark a little. Now I have heard it would be smart to turn your headlights on before you do this so a portion of the power is directed to the lights and doesn't fry the computers or anything. I didn't do this. I really don't know what the true risks are here. Thread on disconnecting and reconnecting battery and possible issues here. Long story short though no one had any issue. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536112

Okay now it's time to turn the car on and see if disaster strikes. Move your face out of the way of the airbag.... lol.

Oh look at this, notification on my iDrive. What could it be? Car factory reset? Nope. Just wants the time and date manually set. I think just the time actually.

That's it. You're done![/QUOTE]
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #19
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yes you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
Thanks for this, just installed with ease.

I have the M perf wheel with race display too but think I'll get that done at the dealer next service....if I think I can put up with flashing shift lights.
Little off topic but anyone know if they can be toggled on/off? I can't see to find this information.
...is the short answer ...
If you set up your wheel to monitor oil and coolant temps ...you press both buttons at once after startup ...
The flashing lights don’t do much except at gear shift points .
The manual is long and detailed for the wheel .
Keep a small horsehair brush handy , the alcantara can get grimy with dust and dead skin cells from your hands.
Appreciate 0