BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ConnectedDrive and cell service

02-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

ConnectedDrive and cell service

Hi All-

I live in a valley with poor cell service. Verizon is good for about a bar and AT&T only works with an internet-based "microcell" that boosts the signal. T-Mobile seems to be the winner. At one point I knew what carriers used what technologies, but I've forgotten. No idea what the M2 uses for service.

Anywho, when I park my car at work in a concrete garage, I can see my car in the app and send it commands like lock, unlock, lights, etc. I can see the location of the car in the app. But when I park at home, it never updates from my last location in spite of the fact that it shows 3 to 5 bars on the car display. (As I type this and look at the picture I took, it dawns on me that may be the signal indicator for the satellite or radio, but not sure--it's the upper right-hand notification window that includes the time and station.)

Is anyone else aware of any problems with either cell signal strength or problems with updating ConnectedDrive at certain locations? If it's the same as AT&T, do you think I can add it to my microcell?
Appreciate 0