BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 1M for M2...

10-26-2016, 02:16 AM   #45
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Out of curiosity, for all you 1M purist. During the time of purchase, what made you stop going even more purist to say an Elise? Is it because of livability? Rear seats? Brand? It sounds like for some of you, you enjoy not having any Technology intervention in the car. Just wondering where do you draw the line.
Nope, the Elise/Exige came off the list after seeing the way one crumple like an empty soda can during a low-ish speed accident. I stopped riding motorcycles for family reasons, that car gets lumped in that category. I purchased the 1m because of fender flares. It just a happened to have the right amount of power and enough questionable handling characteristics to make it one of the most playful modern cars at street speeds that I've owned. I couldn't careless about livability, collectability, value, purity, or whatever stupid shit people throw out there about the 1m. Simply put, this thing is a riot to drive at reasonable speeds. The M2 is a better car; but like many new cars, it's too competent to have fun with on a nice road without setting a pace that is on the of verge being reckless.

Last edited by redux; 10-26-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      10-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #46
Minchy
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Grey 6MT

I thouroughly regret passing up the chance to get an 1m for e92 money a couple of years back. I didnt because my heart was set on the v8. Here I am 2 years later with no e92 and an m2 on order.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:39 AM   #47
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
Nope, the Elise/Exige came off the list after seeing the way one crumple like an empty soda can during a low-ish speed accident. I stopped riding motorcycles for family reasons, that car gets lumped in that category. I purchased the 1m because of fender flares. It just a happened to have the right amount of power and enough questionable handling characteristics to make it one of the most playful modern cars at street speeds that I've owned. I couldn't careless about livability, collectability, value, purity, or whatever stupid shit people throw out there about the 1m. Simply put, this thing is a riot to drive at reasonable speeds. The M2 is a better car; but like many new cars, it's too competent to have fun with on a nice road without setting a pace that is on the verge being reckless.
Wow...this is basically me.

I also got rid of my CBR600RR for family reasons (wife kept hers )

First time we saw the 1M at the dealer the flares caught our attention, I actually couldn't stop smiling at the cartoonish look...I liked it.

Once I took the test drive that was it (oh and I just came from test driving a 991 PDK).

I'm in no rush to pull the trigger yet and given all the great responses here unfortunately I'm still torn...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #48
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Vocan I think you should get your M2. But just ask yourself one question. One day the M2 will be 5 years old like 1M. Some guy will be saying the cockpit and internal combustion motor are outdated and steering wheel is stupid since you can now autopilot your car and go into manual mode by steering with your paired iPhone. They will
Also tell you how the latest Tesla econobox is faster than you M2. So which car would you want to have when 5 years old? Seriously I am not saying one or the other just saying when it is no longer shiny and faster than most which will be more special to you?
+1
      10-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Pics please.

I've never driven a 1M but after seeing two during my Euro Delivery, I would keep it. I still slightly prefer the looks of the M2, but it's so close. Not to mention I think the 1M will be worth A LOT of money one day. If you can't afford both right now, wait it out and pick up a used M2 in a few years, or whatever special edition they end up making. If you can afford both, buy the M2 as DD and garage queen the 1M.

Oh, and those fender flares.
[IMG]http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...psgtahekdl.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Keep in mind that newer cars (1990's an on) don't like to just sit in the garage. You must drive the thing. Seals dry out, etc. Yes, a very low mileage 1M will be worth a bit more than an M2 because of the numbers of them in circulation but you're not talking classic Porsche numbers! It matters what the car is worth to YOU! If you enjoy it, just keep driving it, get an extended warrantee and new tires!

Mike
Very interesting comments.

I may have to talk to the wife about possibly getting her the M2 DCT and having the best of both worlds.

Cartoonish fender flares notwithstanding I simply love driving the 1M making this whole issue a tad difficult.
Do what 1M Tex did and get her an M2 and keep your 1M.

If you really enjoy the 1M you should keep it.

The ONLY reasons for a 1M owner to move to M2 are:

- warranty
- want a slightly more comfortable daily car
- want an automatic ( aka DCT)
- want a blue car
- want to flip 1M because it's worth $$$
- want a faster car zero-60
- just want a new car (iE new tech )

I think that's the list. The last reason is the worst one.

To get an M2 over the 1M you give up ...

-Manual steering
- A classic BMW for decades to come
- a car that's easy to put wider tires on ...(can you say 285/315?)
- a car that doesn't have nannies like a reverse sensor that beeps like crazy, auto front collision control to apply the brakes for you when it thinks it should , and auto rev match
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #50
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
Nope, the Elise/Exige came off the list after seeing the way one crumple like an empty soda can during a low-ish speed accident. I stopped riding motorcycles for family reasons, that car gets lumped in that category. I purchased the 1m because of fender flares. It just a happened to have the right amount of power and enough questionable handling characteristics to make it one of the most playful modern cars at street speeds that I've owned. I couldn't careless about livability, collectability, value, purity, or whatever stupid shit people throw out there about the 1m. Simply put, this thing is a riot to drive at reasonable speeds. The M2 is a better car; but like many new cars, it's too competent to have fun with on a nice road without setting a pace that is on the of verge being reckless.

Gotta agree with those flares, absolutely gorgeous! The M2 flares are much more civilized in comparison.

As for the Elixge safety, there is a reason why they are no longer available in NA. And I like the motorcycle comparison, it's the closest thing on 4 wheels IMO. That Morgan 3 wheeler would be next
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #51
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Wow...this is basically me.

I also got rid of my CBR600RR for family reasons (wife kept hers )

First time we saw the 1M at the dealer the flares caught our attention, I actually couldn't stop smiling at the cartoonish look...I liked it.

Once I took the test drive that was it (oh and I just came from test driving a 991 PDK).

I'm in no rush to pull the trigger yet and given all the great responses here unfortunately I'm still torn...
I'd wait for auto show season to wrap up. There's some interesting stuff in the works. My sights have just shifted from a used M3 Gts to a hyundai......

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/do-wan...hback-hyundai/

The amount of want, at the moment, is disturbingly close to being Mechanophilia. However, the GT4 will go instead of the 1m.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #52
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Oh, and those fender flares.
The M2 has cool hips.

But as regards fender flares, the 1M wins hands down. No doubt about its 'outright hipster' status.

10-27-2016, 01:38 AM   #53
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

have both

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #54
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The M2 has cool hips.

But as regards fender flares, the 1M wins hands down. No doubt about its 'outright hipster' status.
+1
Appreciate 0