BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Over 1000 km across the Italian Dolomites with the M2: it delivers

06-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Added the pictures shown below to the first post. Those are not mine (except for the first one), but give you an impression about the awesome Dolomites. Extraordinary place.

06-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #46
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Very nice thread, thanks for your photos and your efforts!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #47
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #48
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Great write up and even better pictures. Thanks for sharing. I've got to take another trip to Europe soon.
      06-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #49
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I feel the same way. Switzerland is nice to drive thru... but I always try to stay in Italy or Austria IF I can help it. Everything is just so much more in Switzerland. 5 euros for a Coke, 40 euros for some Schnitzel - Nein Danke!!

Your lucky, IF the Austrian's would have caught you... they would fine you 120 euros. You still might get a ticket in the mail. I think they have up to one YEAR(!) to send it to you. lol Really.

Btw... you MUST have a Swiss vignette in order to drive on Swiss Autobahns. They have cameras behind most of the over head Autobahn signs and you will get a ticket in the mail/post! They are also very strict on speeding. Its not unheard of to get a ticket for just +2kph over the speed limit. On Autobahns the speed limit is 120 kph. 120 kph isn't that bad except that the Swiss low to build these tunnels - and the limit always drops to 80 kph inside of them!! On country roads(Bundesstrasse) the limit is only 80 kph. Drive more than +40kph over any limit and the Swiss WILL take your car - for good!!

Austrian Vignette: Always fully affix the decal to the inside windshield. If not it can cost you a 500 euro fine. Not having a vignette will cost you 120 euros now. AND.. you must have an Austrian Vignette BEFORE entering Austria(via an Autobahn). You can buy an Austrian vignette at most German gas stations near the border or when traveling in the direction of the border(Grenz).

A Swiss vignette costs 40 euros for one year. They only sell it for one year's time. The Austrian's sell their's in days. The shortest being a ten day pass - for 8 euros.

Place the Vignette like in these examples...
Attachment 1446105

Attachment 1446106

Attachment 1446107

German Autobahn sales of Austrian Vignette...
Attachment 1446108

Attachment 1446109

Thanks. I got the Austrian vignette before I got on any Austrian Autobans. I basically stopped at the first gas station that had that sign. I only drove on some small back roads in Switzerland going up to Stelvio Pass. Either way I'm hoping all is good with those.
      06-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #50
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I drove through parts of northern Italy as well as Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France. I didn't notice as well as my old father hadn't noticed a problem with reading the cluster during any conditions. I even wore my sunglasses (prescription for light sensitivity, so they're illegally dark) and still could see the gauges.
I'm really trying to find out how people can't see them.
I beg to differ, Sir. To avoid any misunderstanding: reference is made to the grey speedometer and rev counter dials. Not to the onboard computer showing data on the instrument cluster.

At night: readability perfect.

In daylight: readability OK.

One minute later: less daylight (entering the woods) and the grey analog dials and orange needles (speedometer + rev counter) become harder to read (please note that the picture shows better lighting than in reality):

Picture taken yesterday right before the camera could focus and adjust the light. Pretty dark above the OBC:

Name:  Instrument_Cluster_Dark.jpg
Views: 3497
Size:  87.1 KB

Readable ? Yes. Comfortable to read (especially with sun glasses) ? No.

You won't see such poor readability of instrument dials happening on modern cars of BMW's competitors (Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, etc.).

BMW should address this, definitely.