BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Milltek valve noise and equal length mod

07-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
m2comp_sb
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

M2 Competition Milltek valve noise and equal length mod

Seems this subject of valve noise has come up a number of times on the forum, and unfortunately I found myself here looking for solutions for the noises I've got coming from my exhaust.

The Milltek has been on the car for around 2000 miles now and I have started to notice two things.
Firstly, at low speed and low revs in Sport or Sport + I can hear a slight buzzing sound which disappears as speed increases (or gets drowned out my the exhaust itself!)

Secondly, with the great weather in the UK right now, I've been driving with windows and sunroof open and have started to hear EVERY time the valve closes / opens, which as we know, is often!

When lifting off going in to a corner, the valve shuts, then when downshifting, the engine auto-blips and i hear the valve 'clack' open with a bark from the exhaust. Sounds really bad.

Anyway, I'm taking the car to an exhaust fabricator who seems very knowledgeable and will see what we discover.

I was considering fitting a VSC-2 valve controller to keep them open, but heard stories of errors developing over time. Anyone with an M2 Comp had any experience with these?

In addition, he's also going to look at whether we can modify the equal length "U" bend section to tuck it higher so it can't be seen so much from the back of the car as there is plenty or space. Will report back.

In the meantime, if anyone has any advise on fixes that have worked, I'd be interested to hear as this might save me time next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 03:21 PM   #2
rorydickson_
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

Hi mate,

I’m having the exact same issue - the noise is really annoying! Can I ask if you managed to rectify the issue and if so, how?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I'm UK too and run mine with the valves permanently shut by removing the two fuses in the boot. (146 & 147) as I run decat DPs and it's too noisy otherwise.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1558468

The valves just stay in whatever positions they were in when you take the fuses out, so you can choose always open or always closed. It's an easy and free way to do it, so you can try and see for yourself.

You get notification codes in diagnostics but no dash lights, no problem.

Other than that if you use BM3 (I do) you can configure valves in maps, but I just use the fuses.

Last edited by doughboy; 08-06-2023 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0