BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > DCT Shifts to Neural During a Slide?

08-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
dmf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT/BSM

DCT Shifts to Neural During a Slide?

Hi All

Went to Laguna Seca today and at the end of the day, some rain showed up rather suddenly while I was on my Sport Cup 2s and long story short I spun but came to a stop with only 2 wheels off track. I was in Sport+ for everything and in MDM mode.

A curious thing that happened that I can't find an explanation for via Google is that my DCT switched to neutral at some point during the spin. I can sort of formulate a reason for this in my head that if the car is somewhat out of control it is safer to shift to neutral so power is cut and no engine backspinning can happen.

If anyone can point to a more detailed explanation (or has one in their head, even better) I would be interested in hearing it.

Last edited by dmf; 08-25-2020 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
No direct answer here, but I bet the 2 spins felt like 2 minutes. I'll never forget aquaplaning off a track at 160 km/h and spinning for what seemed like half an hour but was only about 10 seconds. Luckily it was on grass but a Michelin died during the event. The human body is incredible when things like that happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Finally! Someone with a similar problem that I've been having...

My issue is that I have noticed that if I get on the throttle while turning (like at a red light), the car will automatically go out of DCT to manual shift on it's own.

I've had this happen about 5 times so far and it's terrifying. The last time it happened (last week) the revs hit 8K. My foot's in the gas and the transmission just flips on it's own. I've talked to BMW about this several times and they are finally going to do a deep dive on it when I take it in for the exhaust install.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJRocksIt View Post

My issue is that I have noticed that if I get on the throttle while turning (like at a red light), the car will automatically go out of DCT to manual shift on it's own.
This happened to me yesterday.

Going around a raltively tight right turn in second gear (DCT manual mode, MDM). Felt tires slip, rear end slide . . . felt every bit under control and wanted to 'feather it out' with throttle. Instead, it was a complete nanny intrusion. Typical nanny 'stutter' followed by transmission going into 3rd gear and DCT automatic mode. I was like WTF?!

I suppose someone might say don't use MDM mode; instead turn off traction control completely and problem solved. That is not happening. I do not mind a little drift on the roadways, but playing Chris Harris is best reserved for closed circuits/spaces.

As others have said numerous times, the M2C is under-tired. I posted on this in another thread yesterday after my growing frustration with the driving dynamics of the M2C DUE TO BEING UNDER TIRED. . . not with the M2C, per se.

I am not a fan of the PSS tires, but I also think it is a lack of actual rubber. I am looking toward PS4S 255/275 setup, but do not have it in me to abandon a relatively new set of PSS tires . . . at least not yet. Getting closer every day.

///AVM

Edit: The temperature outdoors was 90 degrees and my tires were hot. I had them smoking yesterday. I enjoy the play and power, but it has become kind of ridiculous how much the M2C spins its wheels . . . and I am hoping all can be made right with proper tires?
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I'm curious how much throttle you guys are putting in to kick the rear out so easily? I have a MT and i do tend to drive in MDM Sport+ quite often, and i also tend to give it some more around certain turns (which are devoid of any traffic and pedestrians) but i've never once had the rear end kick out.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
BigJRocksIt
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I agree... I'm running Cup 2's for the Summer and it still breaks loose while rolling at 30-40MPH.

I've talked to numerous people at BMW about this and everyone acts like I'm crazy. Or that I'm "accidentally" hitting the paddles or transmission shifter to make this happen. I'm telling you, there's something wrong with this thing and it's either going to grenade the motor or put the car (and me) into a position that we'd rather not be in.

If I get a response after they tear it apart I'll report back.

EDIT: I always have the transmission problem happen from a standing start and I'm giving it a good amount of gas. I also NEVER take this car out of MDM on the street. Just trying to be responsible with the car as much as possible. Amazed this hasn't popped up more.

Last edited by BigJRocksIt; 08-24-2020 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
I'm curious how much throttle you guys are putting in to kick the rear out so easily? I have a MT and i do tend to drive in MDM Sport+ quite often, and i also tend to give it some more around certain turns (which are devoid of any traffic and pedestrians) but i've never once had the rear end kick out.
You aren't giving the throttle enough juice then
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
You aren't giving the throttle enough juice then
lol probably. Maybe i'm just being extra careful as one time i did slide sideways off an exit once in my S2k (no traction control as its a 05) and my foot doesnt care for me to be that reckless on the street.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
2nd gear, 3/4 throttle minimum, and plenty of room for a near 90 degree turn to help coax the oversteer
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:

This happened to me yesterday.

Going around a raltively tight right turn in second gear (DCT manual mode, MDM). Felt tires slip, rear end slide . . . felt every bit under control and wanted to 'feather it out' with throttle. Instead, it was a complete nanny intrusion. Typical nanny 'stutter' followed by transmission going into 3rd gear and DCT automatic mode. I was like WTF?!

I suppose someone might say don't use MDM mode; instead turn off traction control completely and problem solved. That is not happening. I do not mind a little drift on the roadways, but playing Chris Harris is best reserved for closed circuits/spaces.

As others have said numerous times, the M2C is under-tired. I posted on this in another thread yesterday after my growing frustration with the driving dynamics of the M2C DUE TO BEING UNDER TIRED. . . not with the M2C, per se.

I am not a fan of the PSS tires, but I also think it is a lack of actual rubber. I am looking toward PS4S 255/275 setup, but do not have it in me to abandon a relatively new set of PSS tires . . . at least not yet. Getting closer every day.

///AVM

Edit: The temperature outdoors was 90 degrees and my tires were hot. I had them smoking yesterday. I enjoy the play and power, but it has become kind of ridiculous how much the M2C spins its wheels . . . and I am hoping all can be made right with proper tires?
you need a different compund and wider rubber, think bstone re71r 285-295. the rear has way too much tq for stock tires. this was very obvious when I test drove it.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00
      08-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #11
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
you need a different compund and wider rubber, think bstone re71r 285-295. the rear has way too much tq for stock tires. this was very obvious when I test drove it.
Thank you Smooth

I have read all the hundreds of threads on the tire options and, remain nothing but confused about what options fit the stock 788M wheels (that I love) and do not cause issues with rub, tractions control system, etc.

Although I do not have direct experience with PSS vs PS4S in the M2C, I do have experience with both tires . . . and the PS4S seems superior in my mind.

I am honestly quite biased by the Michelin offerings because they seem to be discussed 90%-plus of the time across most forums. I am not familiar with the Bridgestone offerings, but am sure they are quality and will check them out.

As far as 'more rubber' goes, I do not recall anyone ever having a problem swapping out 245/265 for 255/275, so I will likely stick with 255/275 in hopes the tread and increased rubber will equate to the grip the M2C lacks in stock form.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you Smooth

I have read all the hundreds of threads on the tire options and, remain nothing but confused about what options fit the stock 788M wheels (that I love) and do not cause issues with rub, tractions control system, etc.

Although I do not have direct experience with PSS vs PS4S in the M2C, I do have experience with both tires . . . and the PS4S seems superior in my mind.

I am honestly quite biased by the Michelin offerings because they seem to be discussed 90%-plus of the time across most forums. I am not familiar with the Bridgestone offerings, but am sure they are quality and will check them out.

As far as 'more rubber' goes, I do not recall anyone ever having a problem swapping out 245/265 for 255/275, so I will likely stick with 255/275 in hopes the tread and increased rubber will equate to the grip the M2C lacks in stock form.

///AVM
AVM, I've been asking around here as well, and members have confirmed no issues with this setup up. I have even confirmed going up to 295s in the rear would be fine without issue, on a stock suspension. These links may help:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26593797

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1661647
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
AVM, I've been asking around here as well, and members have confirmed no issues with this setup up. I have even confirmed going up to 295s in the rear would be fine without issue, on a stock suspension. These links may help:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post26593797

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1661647
Kutta

You know I absolutely respect and value your views.

Not me being lazy, but I cannot bear to read anymore of these threads about tires. One guy says his 255/285 or 265/295 setup causes no issues, then two others chime in and state they get wheel well rub issues. . . or that the traction control system does not function properly . . . or that they do not fit the stock 788M wheels properly.

The only size combo I have seen free of any issue is the 255/275 setup.

Smooth did bring up a topic I had not previously considered, which is that not only tread and width, but rubber composite makes a difference. I kind of assumed the Michelin rubber was as good, if not better than any other. Smooth suggests the Bridgestone rubber is better for performance interests. At least, that is what I read into his comments.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 08-24-2020 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #14
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Kutta

You know I absolutely respect and value your views.

Not me being lazy, but I cannot bear to read anymore of these threads about tires. One guy says his 255/285 or 265/295 setup causes no issues, then two others chime in and state they get wheel well rub issues. . . or that the traction control system does not function properly . . . or that they do not fit the stock 788M wheels properly.

The only size combo that I have seen is free of any issue is the 255/275 setup.

Smooth did bring up a topic I had not previously considered, which is that not only tread and width, but rubber composite makes a difference. I kind of assumed the Michelin rubber was as good, if not better than any other. Smooth suggests the Bridgestone rubber is better for performance interests. At least, that is what I read into his comments.

///AVM
I would say that the 255/275 setup is the way to go to be absolutely safe. That is the setup I'm going with for my winters. My questions on that thread were also related to fitting tires on the 437s and not the stock 788s (not sure how much of a difference that makes). If this setup works well, I will switch my summers to this size as well once the PSS are done for.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00
      08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

I’ve done a driver training day with BMW and we used their F80 M3 on the skid pan. It was normal behaviour for the car to shift into neutral by itself if it got really out of shape - i.e more than a 180 degree rotation.

So yes, I think it is supposed to happen to protect the transmission.

Last edited by Caduceus; 08-25-2020 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 3
      08-24-2020, 11:15 PM   #16
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmf View Post
Hi All

Went to Laguna Seca today and at the end of the day, some rain showed up rather suddenly while I was on my Sport Cup 2s and long story short I spun once or twice but came to a stop with only 2 wheels off track. I was in Sport+ for everything and in MDM mode.

A curious thing that happened that I can't find an explanation for via Google is that my DCT switched to neutral at some point during the spin. I can sort of formulate a reason for this in my head that if the car is somewhat out of control it is safer to shift to neutral so power is cut and no engine backspinning can happen.

If anyone can point to a more detailed explanation (or has one in their head, even better) I would be interested in hearing it.
All M cars shift to neutral if you spin out. Learned this at the M performance school. Spun out in an M5 and M4 there and it immediately goes to neutral as a safety feature.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
///AVM2531.00
      08-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
dmf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT/BSM

I've yet to go out on the skid pan with either my car or one of BMWs. That was going to happen this year buuuttt.....stuff happened.

Good to know I wasn't going mad, although the fewer times I get to try it the better. In any case my Sport Cups are now corded so onwards to 265 + 295 Toyo R888Rs and Thunderhill in 2 weeks time.

Short clip of the episode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_sW...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by dmf; 08-25-2020 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 2
///AVM2531.00
      07-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #18
Avanturist44
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

I've had this happen about 5 times so far and it's terrifying. The last time it happened (last week) the revs hit 8K. My foot's in the gas and the transmission just flips on it's own. I've talked to BMW about this several times and they are finally going to do a deep dive on it when I take it in for the exhaust install.
BigJRocksIt, I have the same problem with my m2 competition 2019 dct after changing the oil in the transmission and differential. What was your problem then and how did you fix it? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:59 PM   #19
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
....the car will automatically go out of DCT to manual shift on it's own.
Sorry, what do you mean by that?
Appreciate 0