BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New owner, mods questions

02-04-2024, 03:29 AM   #23
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The M2 has an upgraded engine compared to the F30. Not sure that the charge pipe history is the same. There is not a lot of chatter on this board about blown charge pipes.
      02-04-2024, 08:32 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
The M2 has an upgraded engine compared to the F30. Not sure that the charge pipe history is the same. There is not a lot of chatter on this board about blown charge pipes.
Chargepipe is the same P/Nand yes, there was a long post on this board about a few members blowing theirs, including the updated OEM version.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #25
Shawqi90210
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I came from a big turbo n54 335i to the n55 m2 and to be completely honest the m2 won’t be as fast mod for mod but you gain huge reliability from the n55. I went a bit out for my m2 because I love chasing power. So my current setup that I have is

Arm intercooler
Eventuri v2 intake
Vrsf charge pipe
Mpe exhaust
Arm dp
Boost pipe
b58 tu pump
3.5 map sensor
Csf radiator
Precision race works coils
Ngk colder plugs

I have a pure 750 and a meth kit going in soon

To be honest for the amount of money I spent on the car it’s has good enough gains I’m expecting a lot more on a hybrid

That being said tho I am going to do all the safety precautions that are weak points on this motor like the crank hub because it’s the same from the s55 also going to do the rod bearings. Eventually I plain on closing the deck and swapping the rods and pistons but not anytime soon I want to enjoy my little hybrid for now. I know what I’m doing extra but I like to have a different kind of build on any car.

Another note is as do some suspension work to this car. As much as im a speed junky I love my backroad runs. The stock suspension is alright but when I did some work on them the car handled like a different car. My dad has a 992 4s and I can alsomst take the corners as fast as he can… but ofc the m2 doesn’t really compare to a porche but I love the m2.

My advice is enjoy the car stock just for a bit to get a feel of the car and how it is stock so when you start to throw stuff on you can see a difference and appreciate the work.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:52 AM   #26
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawqi90210 View Post
I came from a big turbo n54 335i to the n55 m2 and to be completely honest the m2 won’t be as fast mod for mod but you gain huge reliability from the n55. I went a bit out for my m2 because I love chasing power. So my current setup that I have is

Arm intercooler
Eventuri v2 intake
Vrsf charge pipe
Mpe exhaust
Arm dp
Boost pipe
b58 tu pump
3.5 map sensor
Csf radiator
Ngk colder plugs

To be honest for the amount of money I spent on the car it’s has good enough gains I’m expecting a lot more on a hybrid

That being said tho I am going to do all the safety precautions that are weak points on this motor like the crank hub because it’s the same from the s55 also going to do the rod bearings. Eventually I plain on closing the deck and swapping the rods and pistons but not anytime soon I want to enjoy my little hybrid for now. I know what I’m doing extra but I like to have a different kind of build on any car.

Another note is as do some suspension work to this car. As much as im a speed junky I love my backroad runs. The stock suspension is alright but when I did some work on them the car handled like a different car. My dad has a 992 4s and I can alsomst take the corners as fast as he can… but ofc the m2 doesn’t really compare to a porche but I love the m2.

My advice is enjoy the car stock just for a bit to get a feel of the car and how it is stock so when you start to throw stuff on you can see a difference and appreciate the work.

I would look into a diverter valve and a turbo inlet. For the radiator, go back to Stock or DO88 - the CSF is a downgrade on the F series car.
      02-07-2024, 10:02 AM   #27
Shawqi90210
Private
Rep

Wait I didn’t know that I thought a csf would be a upgrade to the stock one is this actually confirmed that car runs worse ??

Also I have a turbo smart for the hybrid so I’ll be good on that.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:10 AM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Wait I didn’t know that I thought a csf would be a upgrade to the stock one is this actually confirmed that car runs worse ??

Also I have a turbo smart for the hybrid so I’ll be good on that.
Yeah, by a few members and I spoke to a race team (multiple 1st place Championship finishes) and they confirmed the same. CSF = Junk.
      02-07-2024, 10:20 AM   #29
Shawqi90210
Private
Rep

Rip atleast I bought it off someone for only like 250 so I’m not that deep in the hole but now I have to spend another 500 for good one 😅
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:43 AM   #30
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

Quote:

Arm intercooler
Eventuri v2 intake
Vrsf charge pipe
Mpe exhaust
Arm dp
Boost pipe
b58 tu pump
3.5 map sensor
Csf radiator
Ngk colder plugs

You only added DP and intercooler as power mods
With pure750 added, b58 TU pump could be not enough
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:10 AM   #31
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M// View Post
Isn't the B58 bump near the Dorch stage 1?
He should talk to M2guru and VGSON
as to what they are shooting for powerwise and what you will need.
      02-07-2024, 11:19 AM   #32
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think it’s as good as Dorch stage 1,but either way Dorch stage1 is also not enough.
Speedtech top mount G35|Motive| Reflex plus | Wagner EVO 3 | BMP manifold | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | PI | Precision Racework stage 4V2 LPFP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit |turner catch can| HRE 20” \Apex 18” wheels| ECUTEK tuned by bendCalibration|ohlins suspension
IG Modded_M2
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 05:50 PM   #33
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 OGM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
Hey everyone! I just bought a 2018 M2 w/DCT last week and while I wait for it to ship to me I’ve been doing a bunch of research on mods and I would like some advice. I’m pretty familiar with the N54 platform as I used to own a 135i with catless downpipes, FMIC, LSD, and MHD S2. I absolutely adored that car and I was very happy with the power level I was at and didn’t feel the need to pursue further power gains. How will the N55 in the M2 feel, both stock and with comparable mods? Will it be about as fast as my 135i was? What sort of power gains can I expect with FBO + tune on the M2? I’m assuming the power gains won’t be as drastic as it was on my 135i because the M2 comes stock with 70hp more than my 135i did. Are the power gains from FBO and tune significant enough on the M2 running 91ACN to make the effort and money worth it? Or should I just leave the M2 stock and enjoy it for what it is? Any advice would be appreciated!

your modded 135 as is slightly faster than a stock m2. The m2 has plenty of power down low even though its a single turbo. Power under the curve is nice from OTS tunes. May feel it, but custom is the best choice. If you don't street race people, the f87 is plenty of fun at this power level. Its meant for a track with turns though. I got my f87 cause I love the 1M and this is about as close as bmw has come to remaking it. FBO is not that expensive: dry drop in air filter, charge pipe,, DP, and ots tune could be done for really close to 1k. Power under curve changes more than uptop.

I have a dryfilter and catted DP for sale if you want it.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2024, 05:53 PM   #34
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He's also going with meth so maybe(?)...he'll likely not reach max potential of turbo, but would still have plenty of power on tap. 500+
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:10 AM   #35
Shawqi90210
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M// View Post
What else is there to do besides fueling to put a 750 in. I already new my pump won’t handle the 750 I’m going to add port and low pressure as well
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:53 AM   #36
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What else is there to do besides fueling to put a 750 in. I already new my pump won’t handle the 750 I’m going to add port and low pressure as well
Motiv reflex+
Ethanol sensor

*This is my opinion but it’s your choice
The idea of going hybrid is to keep things simple and OEM+.
Why go PI when DI is so capable.
IG Modded_M2

Last edited by Mr_M//; 02-09-2024 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:33 PM   #37
VGSON
First Lieutenant
Rep

really depends on your power goals and what type of fuel you’re going to use.
Max out the b58 pump first, then decide(?)

More E = more fuel volume…

One of the tuners explained the DI will make more power than port(fuel dispalces oxygen). just a lil more $$ for DI setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 07:12 PM   #38
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
The charge pipe isn't a very common problem. I personally don't know anyone who has changed theirs or blown the stock charge pipe without a tune. And there are lots of M2s in my area. Even the general manager of my local dealership owns two M2s. He hasn't brought it up as a problem.
Hey man just wanted to say this isn’t great advice. My chargepipe just blew up on my way home today. Guess I’m starting the modding process sooner than expected 😂
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      02-15-2024, 09:35 PM   #39
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Hey man just wanted to say this isn’t great advice. My chargepipe just blew up on my way home today. Guess I’m starting the modding process sooner than expected 😂
Sorry that you are one of the unlucky ones.
      02-15-2024, 09:40 PM   #40
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
My chargepipe just blew up on my way home today. Guess I’m starting the modding process sooner than expected
Ugh, what a pain! At what mileage did the charge pipe blow?

For awhile, I was feeling pretty paranoid about CA smog inspectors flagging an aftermarket charge pipe during visual inspection. I think I’m mostly over that paranoia now and have resolved to replace my OEM stock pipe at some point. I hear it’s a bear of a job, so I’m not particularly looking forward to it.

At any rate, I started a poll for CA owners to see what their experience has been regarding aftermarket charge pipes and smog inspections:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1997150
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:44 PM   #41
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Ugh, what a pain! At what mileage did the charge pipe blow?

For awhile, I was feeling pretty paranoid about CA smog inspectors flagging an aftermarket charge pipe during visual inspection. I think I’m mostly over that paranoia now and have resolved to replace my OEM stock pipe at some point. I hear it’s a bear of a job, so I’m not particularly looking forward to it.

At any rate, I started a poll for CA owners to see what their experience has been regarding aftermarket charge pipes and smog inspections:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1997150
The car has 33k miles and is fully stock. I couldn’t imagine a chargepipe would draw attention. Especially if you get a regular black metal one. You wouldn’t be able to tell it’s not OEM unless you know about N55 engines specifically. Even then it has no effect on emissions. I’ve only had the car for 3 days and this has been a real inconvenience. If I were you I’d definitely replace my chargepipe preventively. It’s a major pain in the ass having to deal with it when it pops unplanned
Appreciate 2
jefe2000739.50
AmuroRay2282.50
      02-16-2024, 04:05 PM   #42
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry that you are one of the unlucky ones.
I literally told you this happens.
      02-16-2024, 05:49 PM   #43
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I literally told you this happens.
Didn’t say that it never happens. Just that it is rare on the OG M2s.
      02-16-2024, 07:58 PM   #44
CanadianM2
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Quote:
Didn’t say that it never happens. Just that it is rare on the OG M2s.
No it’s not 😂
Appreciate 3
AmuroRay2282.50
VGSON208.50