BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Work Out Supplements

05-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #89
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

btw, anyone looking for supplements, check out www.trueprotein.com and use discount code CAS282 for 5% off every order.

you can make your own protein, carb, fat, and/or supplement blends with just about anything you can think of at the best prices you will find. all their protein is USA-sourced - none of the cheap, chinese bullshit a lot of supplement companies are pushing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #90
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
There are people with 10% body fat and cut abs. Genetics play a role here. It's not the same for everyone.
Man, that sucks! My genetics are holding my abs back...or in...or whatever!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #91
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
My genetics make it really difficult to build the upper part of the pectoral muscles. Every man in my family that the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #92
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Yeah bro, it fucking blows.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #93
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Uhmmm... the last place on the body for every man on earth to lose fat is in the abdomen. The difference between 8 and 10 percent bodyfat is more likely to do with how you are measuring it more so than perceived genetics in ab definition.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #94
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I have very low body fat (I'm 5'9" and 140 lbs) and my abs show pretty well. Not super defined but you can tell they are there.

Genetics and the amount of body fat play a role I would assume.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #95
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I have very low body fat (I'm 5'9" and 140 lbs) and my abs show pretty well. Not super defined but you can tell they are there.

Genetics and the amount of body fat play a role I would assume.
The amount of melanin in the skin play a role in appearance as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #96
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Does anyone cycle between gaining mass and cutting up?

Do you guys mix in a lot of cardio with your lifting?

I'm thinking about this summer only going to cut up, very little lifting at all, and lose all of that ab flab.

If anyone is local to my area, let's get some work outs in together!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #97
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

I'm thinking about this summer only going to cut up, very little lifting at all, and lose all of that ab flab.

I mix mine up and sometimes I actually do both.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #98
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes, I bulk and cut where I will focus on one or the other to see faster results than if I tried to stay as lean as possible all year round. If you are going to cut then the idea is that you will want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, while losing fat, and the way that it is done is through maintaining your lifts, while slightly lowering your caloric intake for the day (I would never go lower than 500 cals under maintenace, especially if you already fairly lean), and increase cardio if needed (only do this when your weight loss stalls, but if you diet is right then you probably won't have to go crazy with cardio). I definitely wouldn't drop your lifting routine though, that won't end too well IMO.

To get a little more detailed, when I cut, the only thing that changes is my diet. Although towards the end of my cut my strength did take a small hit, my lifting routine was mostly unchanged (5 day push/pull type split), I did the same amount of cardio (3 days per week), and I ate 490-500 cals less than what I needed to maintain my weight where I was aiming for a max of 1lb loss/week. I went from 170@13%bf to 159@9%bf after around 8 weeks. Now, I'm back to bulking where I'm aiming for .5-1lb gain/week, but unfortunately I pulled a muscle in my upper back around 2 weeks ago so it put the brakes on my bulk until its healed up.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #99
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Anyone use Shock Therapy?

LOVE IT. Gives me such a boost during my workout.

Also been using Cytogainer with decent results.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #100
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
Anyone use Shock Therapy?

LOVE IT. Gives me such a boost during my workout.

Also been using Cytogainer with decent results.
I've tried samples of shock therapy, but they really didn't do anything for me. It could be that I eat breakfast before I workout and probably should have taken it on an empty stomach. I'm a big fan of Universal Storm though, which is hard to beat for the price.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #101
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:

I do at least 5 min before lifting; 20 min after lifting; I've moved up to 30 min. I lift around 3-5 days a week.
      05-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #102
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

I run a mile before I workout....nothing extreme, like an 8 minute mile. Then we mainly lift after the run. No other cardio really.

BTW, how the heck do people get in over 6000 calories a day? I think at most I get around 5000. Overeating is hard.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #103
JesusFrEAk
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Babs View Post
Yes ofcourse depending on the season your either cutting or bulking. You'll the see biggest difference when you have a diet that works for you though. And theres never a time of the year you stop lifting!!!!!!!! LIGHT WEIGHT YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH BUDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol. Don't you mean LIGHT WEIGHT BABYYYYYYY!!

As made famous by Ronnie Coleman (7 or 8 Time Mr. Olympia)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #104
JesusFrEAk
First Lieutenant
Rep

First off I wanna say I read the first page and last of this thread and didnt have time to read the rest so if I say something that someone else already said I apologize.

If your looking in to a protein shake whether its to bulk up or just get in your daily recommendations for protein it's always good to do some research on the types of protein in the shake.

BTW, your daily recommendations for protein per day is 1.5 x (Bodyweight) now this isn't a precise number (precise is like 1.3 or something like that) but it's a general rule of thumb if you want to try to pack on some muscle. If this daily goal is not met you probably wont see much muscle gain.

As far as proteins go some less informed people may not know that there are different types of protein for your goals.

Whey Protein in general has always been held as the standard. There are two types of protein that come from milk, Whey Protein, and Casein. Of the two Casein is the slower digesting protein (off the top of my head I think it's somewhere between 5-7 hours) where as Whey differently. There are many types of whey protein out on the market so it may get confusing. Here goes.

In the order of quickest digestion:

Whey Protein Hydrolysates - Digestion is about 1-3 hours from my recollection.
Whey Protein Isolates - Digestion is about 2-4 hours. Again relying on memory.
Whey Protein Concentrate - Digestion is about 3- 5 hours. This is probably the crappiest of the bunch.

Soy Protein - Don't really care for it so I don't really know much about it but obviously if they have a Soy Protein Isolates at the store thats probably your best bet. Regardless, supplement companies rarily make just a soy protein.

Egg Protein (Egg Albumin)

Keep in mind I'm just talking about what I know and have done research on (I use to be a personal trainer.)
Then there are some others on the market that aren't really popular or backed by hard data. Like a new one is HSP (Heat Shock Proteins). Don't really know much about it but so far seems like a marketing scam.

If anyone has any questions there more than welcome to PM me. Sorry for the long post that seems like a rant. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #105
JesusFrEAk
First Lieutenant
Rep

Now based on what I just wrote above.

If you just woke up then its probably best to drink a whey protein shake with the top two proteins. Due to the fact that you have been fasting all night and your body is in catabolism you want to feed your muscles as quickly as possible with a protein shake.

It wouldn't make much sense to drink a Casein Protein shake around this time as it is digested to slowly and your not going to get the benefits you want from it.

Same thing applies if you just got out of the gym. If you worked out hard and properly your body has used up its stores of Glycogen which is basically glucose stored in your muscles for energy. You know have to replenish those Glycogen stores with carbs. It makes sense to also throw in some protein because your muscles have just been broken down and you want to begin the healing process as soon as possible.

This is where protein shakes trump over traditional food because they are liquid and the absorption rate is significantly faster than that of chicken or beef.

After a workout the most logical thing to consume right after would be.

35-40 grams of protein or whatever your 1.5 X Bodyweight is, divided by 6 meals a day.
Along with maybe 40-60 grams of carbohydrates. Preferibly carbs that are rapidly or moderately digested as you need the Insulin spike to transport all of the nutrients to your torn down muscles. Don't eat a lot of fats around this time either as it will only slow down the digestion.

Please stay away from Muscle Milk. It has a mediocre protein in it, and a crap load of fat. Especially saturated fat.

Therefore, it's a crappy protein shake. At best, it has a GREAT taste!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #106
JesusFrEAk
First Lieutenant
Rep

One last niblet.

I don't see a problem with supplements as you are just adding to what your body already makes and what you bring in from food.

That being said if you don't believe some of the claims from the supplement products or the science behind it, then the safest bet for everyone is to just take a MultiVitamin.

Everyone needs one because no one gets in all those vitamins with the food they eat.

For crying out load some people barely eat 3 meals a day.

As far as Creatine, I think it's a great product. Number one you wont get an effect amount from eating beef or whole foods with it as it doesn't have enough. (I think barely 1 gram depending on the amount of oz's you eat.)

The only real side effect I've experienced is you will get a little bloat but that is just a little water weight which you can get off with a 20 minutes session of cardio.

People are exaggerating the effects and not seeing the real potential for Creatine.
Even the side effect is good in a way. When your bulking up or trying to pack on lean muscle that extra water is welcome as it supports your joints from the heavy weight lifting. Again it's not like you can pack on 10 lbs of water.

I think an effective cycle of Creatine is between 6-10 grams a day. However, I only use creatine on the days I work out. So if you work out say 4 - 5 times a week. You can do two things.

A. See the effects of the creatine following the manufacturers guidelines or.....
B. Take it on the days you work out only and see if your still experiencing the effects.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #107
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFrEAk View Post
Now based on what I just wrote above.

If you just woke up then its probably best to drink a whey protein shake with the top two proteins. Due to the fact that you have been fasting all night and your body is in catabolism you want to feed your muscles as quickly as possible with a protein shake.

It wouldn't make much sense to drink a Casein Protein shake around this time as it is digested to slowly and your not going to get the benefits you want from it.

Same thing applies if you just got out of the gym. If you worked out hard and properly your body has used up its stores of Glycogen which is basically glucose stored in your muscles for energy. You know have to replenish those Glycogen stores with carbs. It makes sense to also throw in some protein because your muscles have just been broken down and you want to begin the healing process as soon as possible.

This is where protein shakes trump over traditional food because they are liquid and the absorption rate is significantly faster than that of chicken or beef.

After a workout the most logical thing to consume right after would be.

35-40 grams of protein or whatever your 1.5 X Bodyweight is, divided by 6 meals a day.
Along with maybe 40-60 grams of carbohydrates. Preferibly carbs that are rapidly or moderately digested as you need the Insulin spike to transport all of the nutrients to your torn down muscles. Don't eat a lot of fats around this time either as it will only slow down the digestion.

Please stay away from Muscle Milk. It has a mediocre protein in it, and a crap load of fat. Especially saturated fat.

Therefore, it's a crappy protein shake. At best, it has a GREAT taste!!
Pretty much wholly incorrect. Even the retards on ******* generally don't believe this shit any more. Pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #108
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Just picked up some ON 100% Whey Gold Standard last night, double rich chocolate tastes delicious with milk.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #109
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

ive been supplementing with whey protein for a few years, jay robbs protein.

i am afraid of the side effects, long term and short, of some other stuff like creatine and such.

im a little more on the cautious side anyways so i stick with protein and good diet only.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #110
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Currently on
Musclepump(kre-alkalyn creatine)
Animal Pak(multivitamin)
Jack3d(preworkout)
Eas Shakes. (16oz of milk+2 scoops=62g of protein)