BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Planning on buying the M2C, but...

05-29-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey everyone, first time posting here.
I currently drive a 540i G30 xDrive, but after seeing the new M2C, and many positive reviews of it on YouTube, I started thinking about replacing the 540 with the M2C.
It snows where I live, but with proper studded winter tires I don't think it'll be a problem, right?
I was also looking at the M4C, but from what I heard it feels big and I'm not a huge fan of how the front of the car looks.
Basically, what I want is a car I can daily drive without issue and but also be able to hoon during the weekends (only on track, obviously ).
Do you guys think this is the right car for what I want? All suggestions are welcome

Edit: Also, manual or DCT??
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

This should be a fun thread with the responses.

If it were me, I would stay with something AWD (like an M5 if you can afford, but your size issue with the M4 kind of rules that out). That doesn't mean you cannot swing it with the RWD M2C. But, if your used to an X drive 5 series with higher ground clearance, this will be a completely different experience. Besides the interesting proposition of driving RWD in the snow (which is definitely doable, just different) the low ground clearance on the M2C would be my biggest concern for deep snow days. Maybe consider the M340i? Not a true M car but still AWD and a lot of fun to drive in it's own right.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
This should be a fun thread with the responses.

If it were me, I would stay with something AWD (like an M5 if you can afford, but your size issue with the M4 kind of rules that out). That doesn't mean you cannot swing it with the RWD M2C. But, if your used to an X drive 5 series with higher ground clearance, this will be a completely different experience. Besides the interesting proposition of driving RWD in the snow (which is definitely doable, just different) the low ground clearance on the M2C would be my biggest concern for deep snow days. Maybe consider the M340i? Not a true M car but still AWD and a lot of fun to drive in it's own right.
Well, the M5 is an absolute beast, but I think it'll be too expensive maintenance-wise. For example if I break an axle, I'm sure the M5 will me much more expensive to fix than the M2.
I agree on the clearance part, I most likely will become a snow plow if I go into rural unplowed roads hahahah
Regarding the M340i, I don't think it'll be exiting enough, since it has the same engine as my 540i.. don't get me wrong, it definitely pulls hard, but I just think 410hp + rwd would put a bigger smile on my face.
I think the best thing would be to test drive one, and see for myself if the car is as great as everyone says it is.
Thanks for your reply!
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

That sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it goes. Also, I'm sure the Canadian and Northern US folks that daily drive in the snow will chime in soon. I believe minn19 DD's his F80 in the snow and it has similar ground clearance.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
zdbmw46.00
minn1914028.50
      05-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it goes. Also, I'm sure the Canadian and Northern US folks that daily drive in the snow will chime in soon. I believe minn19 DD's his F80 in the snow and it has similar ground clearance.
I'll keep you guys updated, this is a great community! If the guys in Canada and US drive their F80 during winter, I'm sure I'll be fine too! I live in Saint-Petersburg, Russia and our winters aren't TOO bad, so I think its doable
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      05-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdbmw View Post
I'll keep you guys updated, this is a great community! If the guys in Canada and US drive their F80 during winter, I'm sure I'll be fine too! I live in Saint-Petersburg, Russia and our winters aren't TOO bad, so I think its doable
I did last year and years previous. It was a bit more of a pain in the ass last year due to getting record amounts of snow. Also I chose the wrong tire. I went with a PA4 and it is awesome in the cold/dry/wet and small amounts of snow. But, it really falls short of an Xice like tire in ice, deep and packed snow, which we had a ton of here last year in Feb and the beginning of March. I did snow plow a lot with the front splitter, but with Xices on it wouldn't of bothered me as much as trying to push through it with the wrong tire choice.

I lowered mine on MP HAS and the wife leased an M550, which means I'll be able to use our F150 on bad snow days. I'll still drive the M3 on cold/clear/wet days though. Good luck and really choose wisely on which winter tire you'll need more. Again dedicated Xice like snow tires are awesome in ice, deep snow and packed snow, but really suck on dry, wet conditions because they are so soft they roll over very easy under even moderate cornering/acceleration. Then the PA4 like (performance winter) tire is just the opposite of that.
Appreciate 2
zdbmw46.00
Thescout134944.00
      05-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
how about an X3M?
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Studded tires? Hot damn where do you live...

Snow tires > AWD. Most people think that just because they have AWD they can drive on crappy all seasons year round. That may work if they plow and throw down salt in your area but if they don't, gg.

Get a proper set of snow tires and you'll be just fine in the M2C in most regions of the world
Appreciate 2
zdbmw46.00
gmazet308.00
      05-29-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I did last year and years previous. It was a bit more of a pain in the ass last year due to getting record amounts of snow. Also I chose the wrong tire. I went with a PA4 and it is awesome in the cold/dry/wet and small amounts of snow. But, it really falls short of an Xice like tire in ice, deep and packed snow, which we had a ton of here last year in Feb and the beginning of March. I did snow plow a lot with the front splitter, but with Xices on it wouldn't of bothered me as much as trying to push through it with the wrong tire choice.

I lowered mine on MP HAS and the wife leased an M550, which means I'll be able to use our F150 on bad snow days. I'll still drive the M3 on cold/clear/wet days though. Good luck and really choose wisely on which winter tire you'll need more. Again dedicated Xice like snow tires are awesome in ice, deep snow and packed snow, but really suck on dry, wet conditions because they are so soft they roll over very easy under even moderate cornering/acceleration. Then the PA4 like (performance winter) tire is just the opposite of that.
For the winter I'll be definitely getting studded tires, even if they lack a bit of performance in the wet. We rarely get huge amounts of snow on our roads, so my main concern is ice and the cold. And if I have to plow through some snow, then so be it
I'll most likely clear bra the car to avoid chips

How's your M3 in snow? With traction control on, does it slide around?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #10
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
how about an X3M?
Hm, never thought of that... I'll definitely take a look at it
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
Studded tires? Hot damn where do you live...

Snow tires > AWD. Most people think that just because they have AWD they can drive on crappy all seasons year round. That may work if they plow and throw down salt in your area but if they don't, gg.

Get a proper set of snow tires and you'll be just fine in the M2C in most regions of the world
Saint-Petersburg, Russia! Almost everyone here uses studded tires during winter. I personally never drove on non-studded winter tires. Are they any good?

And I agree! Doesn't matter if your have rwd, fwd or awd, without the right tires you won't be going far..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
For the winter I'll be definitely getting studded tires, even if they lack a bit of performance in the wet. We rarely get huge amounts of snow on our roads, so my main concern is ice and the cold. And if I have to plow through some snow, then so be it

Not too bad with full TC on unless you make it of course, but it intervenes very quickly. I mostly drove around in MDM mode as that was less annoying. Plus sometimes you need some wheel spin to get going in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:

Not too bad with full TC on unless you make it of course, but it intervenes very quickly. I mostly drove around in MDM mode as that was less annoying. Plus sometimes you need some wheel spin to get going in the snow.
Same, I drive with traction control "halfway off" because that way I feel more in control
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
I currently drive a 540i G30 xDrive, but after seeing the new M2C, and many positive reviews of it on YouTube, I started thinking about replacing the 540 with the M2C.
It snows where I live, but with proper studded winter tires I don't think it'll be a problem, right?
I was also looking at the M4C, but from what I heard it feels big and I'm not a huge fan of how the front of the car looks.
Basically, what I want is a car I can daily drive without issue and but also be able to hoon during the weekends (only on track, obviously ).
Do you guys think this is the right car for what I want? All suggestions are welcome

not sure of your whole garage/family situation but I'd say if you are looking to haul people around, the M2c will not be a good option for you. if you have a family hauler you can use then M2c is great. as for winter, not sure how the roads are but I think you have the idea, snow tires and rwd will get you most anywhere unless you have a foot of snow untreated roads that you have to drive on.. I stay home when it snows unless I have to go pick up kids, that's what x3/5 with AWD and blizzaks is for.

EDIT: I was considering other cars besides M2C.. X5M (already have an X5 so don't want or need another bus), M5 (ehh I don't like sedans and $$$), 440Xi with track pack.. strongly considered it but wife convinced me to go M2 since I liked driving that better. M2 i am not going to daily drive far, I work from home so will take to the gym, in the winter I'll take a x car.. so if you want the fun pure-bred ///M experience that reminds you of an e46, go M2c. if you need more practicality go with a 3 or 5 sedan M light or go x3Mc which will be 500hp and very fast and practical (about 80 grand US optioned)

as for 6MT vs DCT...

Stick if you like rowing your own and being a hair slower and want to save a few bucks. DCT if you want to be faster, not worry about shifting in traffic and have extra cash to spend. I went DCT even though I like rowing my own because at this point, the DCT is the better transmission and my knee hates stop and go in 6MT. plus wifey can drive it in a pinch and she doesn't know how to drive stick.

one thing I hate about stick is unless you are super smooth you get that rock forward/back on shifts. You see it in passengers.. DCT just shifts and maintains momentum better at all speeds. Yes, it's an auto but it's a damn good auto.

You can get a 440 with stick too if you really want stick.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
Quote:

not sure of your whole garage/family situation but I'd say if you are looking to haul people around, the M2c will not be a good option for you. if you have a family hauler you can use then M2c is great. as for winter, not sure how the roads are but I think you have the idea, snow tires and rwd will get you most anywhere unless you have a foot of snow untreated roads that you have to drive on.. I stay home when it snows unless I have to go pick up kids, that's what x3/5 with AWD and blizzaks is for.

as for 6MT vs DCT...

Stick if you like rowing your own and being a hair slower and want to save a few bucks. DCT if you want to be faster, not worry about shifting in traffic and have extra cash to spend. I went DCT even though I like rowing my own because at this point, the DCT is the better transmission and my knee hates stop and go in 6MT. plus wifey can drive it in a pinch and she doesn't know how to drive stick.

one thing I hate about stick is unless you are super smooth you get that rock forward/back on shifts. You see it in passengers.. DCT just shifts and maintains momentum better at all speeds. Yes, it's an auto but it's a damn good auto.
I do have a family hauler if I need it, so the small M2C shouldn't be an issue as I'll mostly be driving alone.
I agree that with the right tire I'll be fine, I just wanted to confirm it with you guys
I'll have to choose DCT then, because I'll probably want to kill myself in traffic... plus if it's faster, I see no downside!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I do have a family hauler if I need it, so the small M2C shouldn't be an issue as I'll mostly be driving alone.
I agree that with the right tire I'll be fine, I just wanted to confirm it with you guys
I'll have to choose DCT then, because I'll probably want to kill myself in traffic... plus if it's faster, I see no downside!

yeah I think you will enjoy an M2C with DCT. esp if you are considering tracking it. though i'm not sure about tracking mine.. too many cases where someone drops oil or something and you end up off track into armco or hitting/getting hit by another car after hitting oil. track insurance has a high deductible too. feel like if you plan on really tracking either have deep pockets with a new car or go get an e30/36/46 track-dedicated car for cheap that would not kill you if it gets scratched or wrecked.

but when it comes to tracking a new car an M2c would be better than pretty much anything else they make due to dynamics (much better than a non-M car), short wheel base, relative cost and run costs (Tires, brakes etc)
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #17
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Do it. I daily drive mine and it was particularly snowy this year.

For transmission: main thing to keep in mind is that with DCT you can shift through a powerslide with ease. I think a 6MT is more fun otherwise.

MDM is really good for snow but it won't match xDrive. You will miss the acceleration on snow (I used to drive an M240ix), but with the studded tires that should be ok anyway.
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

yeah I think you will enjoy an M2C with DCT. esp if you are considering tracking it. though i'm not sure about tracking mine.. too many cases where someone drops oil or something and you end up off track into armco or hitting/getting hit by another car after hitting oil. track insurance has a high deductible too. feel like if you plan on really tracking either have deep pockets with a new car or go get an e30/36/46 track-dedicated car for cheap that would not kill you if it gets scratched or wrecked.

but when it comes to tracking a new car an M2c would be better than pretty much anything else they make due to dynamics (much better than a non-M car), short wheel base, relative cost and run costs (Tires, brakes etc)
I doubt I'll be tracking it, and if I do I'll make sure to not choose a busy day to minimize the risk of a track day turning into a bumper karts arcade...
What I'm really looking forward to is taking this car on some curvy mountain roads!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
Do it. I daily drive mine and it was particularly snowy this year.

For transmission: main thing to keep in mind is that with DCT you can shift through a powerslide with ease. I think a 6MT is more fun otherwise.

MDM is really good for snow but it won't match xDrive. You will miss the acceleration on snow (I used to drive an M240ix), but with the studded tires that should be ok anyway.
Thanks for your advice!! I'll definitely be going with DCT because of its comfort and flexibility. How are you liking your M2C? Are you planning on modding it or are you keeping it stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 10:53 AM   #20
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your advice!! I'll definitely be going with DCT because of its comfort and flexibility. How are you liking your M2C? Are you planning on modding it or are you keeping it stock?
it's only now just entered production so.... not sure how I like it yet! ETA maybe early July

I love the test drive.

as for modifications I'm considering exhaust to get rid of the ugly muffler, improve sound, maybe add a little flow/power, flash/piggyback (if they can get bm3 working that would be good), and wheels. otherwise keep it pretty stock.

cant wait for the car!
Appreciate 1
zdbmw46.00
      05-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
zdbmw
Z
Russia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
it's only now just entered production so.... not sure how I like it yet! ETA maybe early July

I love the test drive.

as for modifications I'm considering exhaust to get rid of the ugly muffler, improve sound, maybe add a little flow/power, flash/piggyback (if they can get bm3 working that would be good), and wheels. otherwise keep it pretty stock.

cant wait for the car!
When I get mine I'll definitely change the exhaust to something louder and get a tune as well. Any idea where I can follow bm3 updates? Do they have like an official thread/page somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When I get mine I'll definitely change the exhaust to something louder and get a tune as well. Any idea where I can follow bm3 updates? Do they have like an official thread/page somewhere?

There's a few threads in the S55 enigne/tuning forum here

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=722

I haven't seen updates on the vendor site lately but might want to check there..

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/coll...-bmw-f8x-m3-m4
Appreciate 0