BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Over 1000 km across the Italian Dolomites with the M2: it delivers

06-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #23
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Simply breathtaking
      06-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #24
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Super awesome pics and terrific 1M brethren.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #25
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
1.60 euro per liter in Italy is kind of cheap. Two years ago we paid over 2.09!!!

Right now in Germany SuperPlus is running about 1.40 euro. In Austria its about 20 euro cents less(due to less fuel taxes) there.

It is also very hard to find SuperPlus in Italy. Most gas stations only sell Super or Diesel.

2014 fuel prices in Italy...
Attachment 1445777
You poor guy. I shall never complain abut fuel prices again.

Beautiful part of Italy by the way. What I would give to drive it in an M2 as opposed to some shitty diesel rental car from Italy.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #26
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Great pictures and write up

So far, how do the cars compare to you? Which do you prefer?

Both cars look amazing, but the widebody on the 1m gives it a more special look in my eye. Beautiful cars and pictures, thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #27
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Amazing photos. Spent a summer holiday trip to Riva Del Garda looking at the Dolomites and then going up through the Brenner Pass to Seefeld Austria. Absolutely stunning area of the world.... Wish I was making that drive in such fun and exciting cars. Great write up, enjoyable read. And yes after growing up in the UK I am pretty happy with gas prices in the US!
      06-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #28
LoCore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Beautiful scenery! Cars are pretty good too :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Fantastic. Great drive, great pictures. Thanks!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #30
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Great Pics! I need to find a job in Europe!

I-drive now asks you if you need to take a break from driving? Well ain't that something.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:39 PM   #31
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Those are some beautiful pictures!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:30 AM   #32
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Great photos!

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #33
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Drove there last year, exactly those spots. That entire area of Alps is a driver's dreamland during summer.

Every time I see ED pics or pics like these a spark of joy lights up in me. Great memories.

Congrats and thanks for the photos.

Let's go there again.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:44 AM   #34
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Love the M2 but I LOVE the 1-Series M that much more.
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

As always fantastic pics Luc. Dank je wel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Love the M2 but I LOVE the 1-Series M that much more.
My ex 1m was WAY more involving in terms of steering/roadholding/ throttle response(explosiveness) , I don't say BETTER. It 's a car you have to work in. And i loved that. Less electronics and gadgets to worry about. M2 is more digital and 'quiet' but faster in any way. But I want more 'feel' and idiocrazy. That's why I'm so happy with my MPE! And I want a downpipe.

M2 looks 'better' but isn't as characteristic as 1M.

So M2 has its advantages in:
-Sound
-Looks
-Comfort/Modernity/ 2016-ness

But a 'true racer' is 1M.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #36
Nothing
Roll Tide
United_States
Rep
Drives: White/red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale
I was just having a look at those petrol prices and you filled up with super +. 1.60euro (1.80USD) a litre.
I got killed at the BP station at the Swiss border heading to Stelvio Pass yesterday. I topped up for good measure at ?1.68/liter for 95 oct. They had 98 for ?1.88. I thought I had crossed in to Itally from Germany because I never saw a border crossing until that one. I'd have stopped before or just avoided the whole thing if I had known. I wasn't paying much attention to the prices up to that point either. :/

I'd like to have avoided Switzerland if I could have. I don't remember the rules, like the vignette you need for Austria, so I could have cost my self some kind of fine for driving there. Ugh!
      06-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #37
qdtjant
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D5S 2018

Awesome pictures and thank's for sharing Luc.
Really breath taking sceneries.
And how do judge the difference between the 1M and M2 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #38
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow Vignettes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
I got killed at the BP station at the Swiss border heading to Stelvio Pass yesterday. I topped up for good measure at ?1.68/liter for 95 oct. They had 98 for ?1.88. I thought I had crossed in to Itally from Germany because I never saw a border crossing until that one. I'd have stopped before or just avoided the whole thing if I had known. I wasn't paying much attention to the prices up to that point either. :/

I'd like to have avoided Switzerland if I could have. I don't remember the rules, like the vignette you need for Austria, so I could have cost my self some kind of fine for driving there. Ugh!
I feel the same way. Switzerland is nice to drive thru... but I always try to stay in Italy or Austria IF I can help it. Everything is just so much more in Switzerland. 5 euros for a Coke, 40 euros for some Schnitzel - Nein Danke!!

Your lucky, IF the Austrian's would have caught you... they would fine you 120 euros. You still might get a ticket in the mail. I think they have up to one YEAR(!) to send it to you. lol Really.

Btw... you MUST have a Swiss vignette in order to drive on Swiss Autobahns. They have cameras behind most of the over head Autobahn signs and you will get a ticket in the mail/post! They are also very strict on speeding. Its not unheard of to get a ticket for just +2kph over the speed limit. On Autobahns the speed limit is 120 kph. 120 kph isn't that bad except that the Swiss low to build these tunnels - and the limit always drops to 80 kph inside of them!! On country roads(Bundesstrasse) the limit is only 80 kph. Drive more than +40kph over any limit and the Swiss WILL take your car - for good!!

Austrian Vignette: Always fully affix the decal to the inside windshield. If not it can cost you a 500 euro fine. Not having a vignette will cost you 120 euros now. AND.. you must have an Austrian Vignette BEFORE entering Austria(via an Autobahn). You can buy an Austrian vignette at most German gas stations near the border or when traveling in the direction of the border(Grenz).

A Swiss vignette costs 40 euros for one year. They only sell it for one year's time. The Austrian's sell their's in days. The shortest being a ten day pass - for 8 euros.

Place the Vignette like in these examples...
Name:  Vignette screen-shot-2012-12-04-at-11-32-09-pm.png
Views: 922
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  Vignette   F5AD_zpsok20qe1h.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  Vignette pio_014x7.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  42.9 KB

German Autobahn sales of Austrian Vignette...
Name:  Vignette sales  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  Vignette verkauf 0,,17201446_404,00.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  16.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #39
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

I'm going to say that the 1M (1 series LCI) has some of the best taillights ever made. SO PRETTY
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #40
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Very nice write up and dito pics !!

Quote:
"The M2 is indeed more indulgent/forgiving/lenient for driver's excitement than the 1M, awarding it (i.e. the M2) a more mature stature: the M2's back is broad enough to take the strain at a point where the 1M gives up and throws you out of the saddle. Some will like this kind of indulgence for safety reasons (staying on course), others probably don't (preferring a more challenging 'no risk no fun' on-the-edge behavior, requiring more attention or skill from the driver to avoid going off course). As indicated, in the end it's a personal thing."

Now the M2 is not a bad car, it delivers the looks, the HP and Nm.

BUT;

It does lack feel in a way, it lacks heart and soul IMO, it is almost too refined, too slick, too clinical sterile, non emotional, no feeling of any attachment, just distance feeling.

As stated in above postings, the 1M was just the opposite, and I liked that visceral feeling, that kind of heart and soul far more. That car would make you feel alive, that is exactly what I`m missing in the M2, as I said before, the M2 is more an AG car than a ///M car IMO

It is like the discussion Porsche old 981 vs the new 718

The 718 is faster, more HP, Nm, but it lacks character, sound, involvement, heart and soul if you will to the 981

The new one is not always the better one we must conclude.

Last edited by Romo; 06-22-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #41
fourscore
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Very well written and some excellent photos there, good work sir!

So how was the sound of the M Performance exhaust (I think you have one?) bouncing off the mountains and in the valleys?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
So far, how do the cars compare to you? Which do you prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdtjant View Post
And how do judge the difference between the 1M and M2 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Did driving the 1M again make you miss it?
Driving the 1M again triggers some kind of bittersweet feeling. Probably like the tempting idea of making whoopee again with that pretty wild ex-girlfriend from a bygone past: that familiar feeling and fond memories lingering on like a lush perfume swirling in the evening air. But, hey, you both parted ways back in the day, moved on and got settled. No regrets, really.

See also my earlier 1M/M2 comment: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post20069276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
Any idea what your average fuel consumption was during that trip ?
Around 14 l/100 km (20 mpg), which is fine (see also the picture showing the tire pressure and tire temps data after one of the stints: temps don't lie ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
I was just having a look at those petrol prices and you filled up with super +. 1.60euro (1.80USD) a litre.
As Dackelone pointed out: welcome to Italy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinimod View Post
Let's go there again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sorry I couldn't make this trip. But we will have our "fun" soon enough!
Later this year. The Dolomites won't vanish in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
My ex 1M was WAY more involving in terms of steering/roadholding/throttle response (explosiveness), I don't say BETTER. It's a car you have to work in. And I loved that. Less electronics and gadgets to worry about. M2 is more digital and 'quiet' but faster in any way. But I want more 'feel' and idiocrazy. That's why I'm so happy with my MPE! And I want a downpipe.
M2 looks 'better' but isn't as characteristic as 1M.
So M2 has its advantages in: Sound - Looks - Comfort/Modernity/ 2016-ness
But a 'true racer' is 1M.
You're spot on, Robin. Like-minded. I added the comment of one the 1M drivers to the first post. He reported as follows about his impressions regarding our extensive 1M and M2 back-to-back drives over Dolomites mountain passes (points of view which are fairly compatible with mine, as expressed above):
"The driver's experience of the 1M and M2 is surprisingly different. From my point of view the driver's experience of the 1M is far more engaging and entertaining. The weakest point of the M2 IMO is definitely the steering feel which is too soft and which lacks connection to the road compared to the 1M. The strongest point I found with the M2 are the brakes. The M2 feels planted and is more forgiving, yes, but that has come at the expense of driver's engagement in my opinion. These are of course personal tastes, but for driving fun my take is that the 1M is still a winner."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
BUT, it does lack feel in a way, it lacks heart and soul IMO, it is almost too refined, too slick, too clinical sterile, non emotional, no feeling of any attachment, just distance feeling.
As stated in above postings, the 1M was just the opposite, and I liked that visceral feeling, that kind of heart and soul far more. That car would make you feel alive, that is exactly what I`m missing in the M2, as I said before, the M2 is more an AG car than a ///M car IMO
It is like the discussion Porsche old 981 vs the new 718. The 718 is faster, more HP, Nm, but it lacks character, sound, involvement, heart and soul if you will to the 981
If the 1M is rock 'n roll, then the M2 is jazz. Both got soul, but in a different way. Kinky (1M) & Cool (M2): I love both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourscore View Post
So how was the sound of the M Performance exhaust (I think you have one?) bouncing off the mountains and in the valleys?
M Performance Exhaust indeed on board. "Objects in mirror can be *louder* than they appear".

06-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #43
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Very nice write up and dito pics !!

BUT;

It does lack feel in a way, it lacks heart and soul IMO, it is almost too refined, too slick, too clinical sterile, non emotional, no feeling of any attachment, just distance feeling.

It is like the discussion Porsche old 981 vs the new 718

The 718 is faster, more HP, Nm, but it lacks character, sound, involvement, heart and soul if you will to the 981

I'm with you for 80/90%, but tonight-for the first time in the 3 weeks I'm having the damn thing- I drove it really 'hard'(still in the brake in period, car has an appointment for 1200mi/2000km service next Tuesday) , meaning revving to 5000, braking harder, and taking bends in Sport Plus I did in my 1M.

And just then it comes alive, there is soul in it. Steering braking, it's soooo balanced, wow! Shifting(I know you don't like DCT but anyway) with the MPE and valves open, the total package and still not revving too high but driving at 75/80% : AWESOME.

First time I'm having the feel good factor when getting out the car, because driven harder.

And that's also the crappy part of M2. In normal mode, irl daily driving it feels like a 335i/335d with some sports suspension lol. So 'no' involvement in daily driving like the 1M has...

But it is one hell of a car, you just have to drive it harder, then the real //Motorsport comes in (Mr Hyde) and BMW AG(Dr Jekyll) disappears...

Now after the 1200mi/2000km service we're going to rev the hell out of that N55!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Very nice post with excellent photos.

Had the pleasure of an exhilarating run through the Dolomites several years ago.
Can't wait to do ED so we can enjoy that absolutely gorgeous part of the world again.