Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
As far as I what mileage the car has on the odometer when yours is delivered , check your purchase contract and see where the dealer agreed to deliver you a vehicle with mileage under your acceptable mental limit of what a " demo " is ...

If you are really bored you can check your local state laws. If you aren't aware, most states have laws regarding minor damages. Your car could be damaged during the delivery process and repaired for under $1000 in many states and it doesn't even have to be disclosed to the seller ! . They might even define what mileage constitutes a demo too.. Who knows ?

I do know that the BMW WELT resets the odometer immediately before delivery of your vehicle at European delivery.

You certainly get the feel happy good feeling of seeing 0.6 miles on the odometer

However , the simple hard truth is that the car could have been driven **one thousand** miles before that point and you would never know, you just get to feel all happy.

Perhaps that happy happy joy joy feeling is enough .. If that exactly what you feel you might be missing .. ?? Ignorance is bliss right ?

Even the guy who's 1M was driven on the street in an unauthorized dealer test drive didn't get much more than an apology, a parts discount, and the knowledge that the dealer employee was fired.

As I mentioned. There is that warranty ...
My quote puts an estimate of 90km (~55 mi) as expected odometer reading at delivery. Realistically it should be a lot less. They do not drive the cars much for the delivery process - too costly. Anything much more than 30km likely means someone has been driving it around (perhaps with some feeble excuse with pseudo-legitimacy) likely either at the factory or at the dealer. Worst case is the dealer lets some prospective buyer test drive a car.

Warranty covers stuff breaking, it does not cover the insidious damage that arises from abusing a car before the engine is broken in properly, or the loss of performance due to slight damage that does not result in a full blown failure.

Yes. Of course ...

Do me a favor and wait and tell me about this insidious damage after your 4/50 warranty has expired.

I happen to KNOW people that worked as fit and finish for a manufacturer. The abuse of an engine can happen driving the car from the assembly line to the back parking lot in Leipzig.

Or from the parking lot onto a train.. Etc another dozen times until the vehicle arrives at your dealer. My point being is that you *never * know how your brand new vehicle has been driven before it gets in your hands.

All you can do is take care of it when it is in your hands and yes of course - that's EXACTLY Why there is a warranty to cover any egregious "insidious " damage, whether it happened intentionally or otherwise.

If " Jurgen assembly line guy" tweaks out your M2 while driving it around the facility, it ain't gone be he that repairs it. It will be the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #134
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes. Of course ...

Do me a favor and wait and tell me about this insidious damage after your 4/50 warranty has expired.

I happen to KNOW people that worked as fit and finish for a manufacturer. The abuse of an engine can happen driving the car from the assembly line to the back parking lot in Leipzig.

Or from the parking lot onto a train.. Etc another dozen times until the vehicle arrives at your dealer. My point being is that you *never * know how your brand new vehicle has been driven before it gets in your hands.

All you can do is take care of it when it is in your hands and yes of course - that's EXACTLY Why there is a warranty to cover any egregious "insidious " damage, whether it happened intentionally or otherwise.

If " Jurgen assembly line guy" tweaks out your M2 while driving it around the facility, it ain't gone be he that repairs it. It will be the warranty.
My point is you will never really know whether your car has been abused, but a 90km car has had that much less opportunity for abuse than a 200km car.

...and that I am less worried about breaks (that are covered) than those small incremental losses of performance that come from abuse and you cannot point a finger at.

Glad you liked my word "insidious"... I was particularly proud of that one
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #135
BimmerSpain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon Bmw M2

Caminator,are you from Spain??

I want to see your car!!!
Appreciate 0