BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2nd CEL in 1 week of ownership

12-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
BimmerNooob
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

2nd CEL in 1 week of ownership

Hello!

I purchased a new 6MT M2C this Sunday...I got a CEL Monday night in my parking garage, cold start, after it was sitting for about 24 hrs. The dealer told me multiple cylinders misfired, but they said it did not happen again and they could not reproduce it. So, I went back Wednesday night to pick up my car. When they brought the car around, there was a HUGE PIECE OF DRIED GUM on my brake pedal (this is a totally different issue).

Anyway, I drive into work for a lunch meeting on Thursday, and then I get a CEL again after my car was sitting in the lot for 5+ hours.

I'm not sure what to do at the moment or what my options are. I've never had a CEL in my lifetime and to have 2 of them on a brand new car in the 1st week seems like a huge concern.

**they just called me and said...a tow truck ran into the back of my car after i dropped it off**

Last edited by BimmerNooob; 12-13-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Bring it back to dealer and tell them to keep the car and drive it.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Bring it back to dealer and tell them to keep the car and drive it.
in addition, let dealer keep it overnight. Seems length of time sitting idle has something to do with it. I had to do this with a Porsche once and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
BimmerNooob
Rep

i don't even want the car back this point after it was in an accident while in their care
Appreciate 1
mattssi867.00
      12-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I'd be in the same position as you and not want the car anymore. It's bad enough you were getting CEL on a brand new car, but for it to get into an accident before you've ever had a chance to enjoy it would kill it for me. FUCK THAT NOISE.

It's going to be hard to get them to take it back though, they will try everything to make you keep it. You may need to lawyer up. That's a battle I'd be willing to have.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      12-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Yea I'd tell them to buy it back at this point
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Guess what....They just bought your car back. Nothing but a full replacement should be entertained. The Manager of the dealership should be falling all over themself to address this to you. Come at them strong, professional, and only expecting to get your way at this luxury car dealership in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
ND4SPD_M2
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNooob View Post
i don't even want the car back this point after it was in an accident while in their care
Do you know what was the damage?

Also, agreeing with the rest, you should try to fight them and see what they can offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
BimmerNooob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD_M2 View Post
Do you know what was the damage?

Also, agreeing with the rest, you should try to fight them and see what they can offer.
The issue is that the towing company's tow truck caused the accident
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Ouch.. When it rains, it pours..

The ball is in your court now; it's time to get in touch with your inner brat and make some demands to make things right..

However, you would have to go high up in the food chain for them to replace the entire vehicle. They definitely going to want to repair it..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
When it rains, it pours..

The ball is in your court now; it's time to get in touch with your inner brat and make demands to make things right..

However, you would have to go high up in the food chain for them to replace the entire vehicle. They definitely going to want to repair it..
hmmmmm I've read something similar from this Poochie before.

Who commissioned the tow? BMW roadside assistance?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Hello!
**they just called me and said...a tow truck ran into the back of my car after i dropped it off**
I'm sorry to make light of your issues but i LOL'd when i read that. I'm like, man, this guy can't catch a break, and then this line and i started to .
My local dealer has a 5 day buy back policy. I would exercise that, I've done it before, just a FYI.
      12-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

did you see the damage?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
BimmerNooob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
did you see the damage?
Currently at work, and don't have access to my personal email. From the description, the front bumper fell off, the grill fell off, and parts of the trim around it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
When it rains, it pours..

The ball is in your court now; it's time to get in touch with your inner brat and make demands to make things right..

hmmmmm I've read something similar from this Poochie before.

Who commissioned the tow? BMW roadside assistance?
Actually, it was another member, whom on the vehicle inception in Europe, it broke down and needed another engine.

They replaced the motor and comped him a bunch of cool stuff to make it right.

This circumstance is little different since he already took US position of his vehicle, so it's up to the dealer and tow truck company to goodwill any compensation.

Typically, dealers have something called "Garage Insurance" to cover situations like this. It all depends who accepts liability..

https://www.progressivecommercial.co...age-insurance/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Currently at work, and don't have access to my personal email. From the description, the front bumper fell off, the grill fell off, and parts of the trim around it.
Wow, that sure paints a picture. Fight them until the bitter end! Stay strong, don't cave in, no matter what they offer you. Your car has already lost resale value with that type of damage.

P.S. I recommend you go to the dealership and take lots of pics of the damage for your records should you need to get lawyers involved.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I don't blame you. They should get you a different car.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
I'd be in the same position as you and not want the car anymore. It's bad enough you were getting CEL on a brand new car, but for it to get into an accident before you've ever had a chance to enjoy it would kill it for me. FUCK THAT NOISE.

It's going to be hard to get them to take it back though, they will try everything to make you keep it. You may need to lawyer up. That's a battle I'd be willing to have.
What he should do is try to get some car blogs/websites to run a story on it. When there is bad press suddenly they change their tune, it was all a misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:52 AM   #19
BimmerNooob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What he should do is try to get some car blogs/websites to run a story on it. When there is bad press suddenly they change their tune, it was all a misunderstanding.
This might be the path I have to take.

I don't understand why it is now all up to me to do the legwork on getting my car repaired, even though the car is under their supervision when the tow truck hit it in the parking lot.

I've already contacted BMW USA to let them know about the CELs, the gum, and now the accident. I've also let them know, that if they resolved the CEL correctly the 1st time I dropped it off for 2 full business days, then the 2nd CEL wouldn't have happened NOR this tow truck incident.

The dealership has already taken a stance of "you need to get the car fixed with the tow truck insurance and asked for DV" and that seems as much as they are going to be "courteous" and "help" me out at this point.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #20
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
This might be the path I have to take.

I don't understand why it is now all up to me to do the legwork on getting my car repaired, even though the car is under their supervision when the tow truck hit it in the parking lot.

I've already contacted BMW USA to let them know about the CELs, the gum, and now the accident. I've also let them know, that if they resolved the CEL correctly the 1st time I dropped it off for 2 full business days, then the 2nd CEL wouldn't have happened NOR this tow truck incident.

The dealership has already taken a stance of "you need to get the car fixed with the tow truck insurance and asked for DV" and that seems as much as they are going to be "courteous" and "help" me out at this point.
I kind of get the dealer's stance that the tow truck collided with the stationary vehicle so they should be liable but since they had the vehicle in their possession, they should take upon themselves to pay for the damages and subrogation back from the tow truck carrier.

Because I tell you, commercial insurance carriers are usually very difficultly to deal with, they delay and obfuscate until you're worn down.

Try to get the dealer to take responsible or if not, file a claim under your own collision coverage and let them handle it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Crash aside, there is still the CEL on the new car.

This is your concern. Accident is their headache, not yours. Be patient but dont accept anything else then total repair of both engine and the car. And if they cant fix it they would give you new one.

Stand your ground - but let them try to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #22
BimmerNooob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post
Crash aside, there is still the CEL on the new car.

This is your concern. Accident is their headache, not yours. Be patient but dont accept anything else then total repair of both engine and the car. And if they cant fix it they would give you new one.

Stand your ground - but let them try to figure it out.
Unfortunately, accident is something that I have figure out with the tow truck's insurance. They are going to cover it, but I'm not taking back a 5 day old car that got into an accident while at the dealership for service. So I will get it fixed and then go forward I guess.

Stay away from BMW of ****andria
Appreciate 0