BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What a current gen M2 Gran Coupe could have resembled

06-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #45
Felosenco
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport Gran Coupe

Garage List
I love what you have done with this. Fashion Gray is PERFECTION!!
      06-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #46
m_matt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335m | 2016 F80 zCP

Amazing comp! The real issue is the power/weight ratio. M2 GC would add a coupe 100 pounds and at 370hp it's not going to be as agile. A 440 GC would give it strong competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #47
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

A longer wheelbase 2GC would be of interest for me, no doubt.
      06-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #48
Ricknm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 MSport, E92 M3

Looks more like an M4 GC (not a bad thing at all). Either way if it looked like this I think it would be one of the best looking M cars BMW has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #49
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Very nicely rendered.
But I fear BMW will say "You want a Grand Coupe? Then move up to the 4-Series, son."
Go back into the M2 Thread history. They have confirmed an M2 GC, somewhere in the 2021 timeframe with a regule 2er GC proceding it in about 2019. This is speculation about the styling and size.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #50
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Hi All. Thanks for all your (mostly)...if the M2 wheelbase was increased just around 5cm, it would make the GC about the same wheelbase as an E46. and I'm sure there are plenty of us who find the current M3-4 too big and would be very interested in a modern E46. That was the idea behind my M2 gran coupe exercise...
So what if you follow the lead of the other BMW platforms as some have indicated and hold the line on wheelbase? You end up with an E36 successor instead of an E46 with the doors reaching over the wheel wells and slightly shorter front doors with the BPillar moved up a bit to line up with the trailing arm of the front door. That may well work. I'm perfectly happy with my E36 sized sedan.

Then again, if you're on BMW retainer floating this E46+ concept for market research purposes I'll add a "yes" to the tally list, though my wallpaper is fashion gray.

...And I told myself I'd never buy a new car again...

BTW, when do you leave your '81 323? I thought I was a geezer with my '97

Marc
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #51
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Leardo View Post
You know it's funny how many people think the same thing..

I love my f80... But if there was an m4 gran Coupé or maybe even this down the line I would be all over it sign me up.

Wish they would evaluate the market for these.
personally I hope the next M4 coupe is RWD and they make a M4 GC AWD, would keep the RWD diehards happy and give the 4 door family/business buyers a better all weather option.

I know they didn't make a M4GC this time around because they thought there was no business case for it (the M3 filled the role), but the M3 was mostly made to keep the M3 name in play, I think next gen they will move on and drop the M3, only have the M4 and M4GC as the options (I would think at least 90% of M3 buyers would take the M4 GC as an alternative and would probably outperform the M3 sales numbers).
I must be in that crazy 10 percent of M3 owners who think that the whole GC idea is stupid and would never buy an M4 grand coupe. Having odd number four door models and even number 2 door cars. Why is that so hard? And aren't we the same group that pillories BMW for so many models and competing in each niche instead of building the ultimate driving machine?
Harumph.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #52
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I really wish they don't do a longer wheelbase for a 4 door 2 series (M2 or M240i).

The 3 series is giving a family sized car, 4 doors (at least for my standards). The 4 series is basically the same car, with 2 doors and lower suspension/roof.

That said, the 4 door 2 series would be great with the same wheelbase, like the A3/S3 audi has (is that 103in?). I didn't buy an S3 becuase there is no manual option nor it is RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #53
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva
Quote:
Hi All. Thanks for all your (mostly)...if the M2 wheelbase was increased just around 5cm, it would make the GC about the same wheelbase as an E46. and I'm sure there are plenty of us who find the current M3-4 too big and would be very interested in a modern E46. That was the idea behind my M2 gran coupe exercise...
So what if you follow the lead of the other BMW platforms as some have indicated and hold the line on wheelbase? You end up with an E36 successor instead of an E46 with the doors reaching over the wheel wells and slightly shorter front doors with the BPillar moved up a bit to line up with the trailing arm of the front door. That may well work. I'm perfectly happy with my E36 sized sedan.

Then again, if you're on BMW retainer floating this E46+ concept for market research purposes I'll add a "yes" to the tally list, though my wallpaper is fashion gray.

...And I told myself I'd never buy a new car again...

BTW, when do you leave your '81 323? I thought I was a geezer with my '97

Marc
Hi Marc, the 323i I have is a special car as it was factory fitted with the dogleg sports gearbox, LSD and very rare air con option. It was ordered as such by my dad under my advice as a 12 year old car enthusiast... So it will be with me forever! I learned oversteering (the scary way) with her too!
      06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #54
heavystarch
one day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Golf R tornado red

Now a 5-Door Hot Hatch Shooting Brake version

More than a GC version I'd love a 5-Door Hot Hatch / Shooting Brake version of the M2. This would make the car so much more practical and a really useful daily driver that is mega fun to drive.

I know it's not gonna happen as BMW isn't in the Hot Hatch segment but the M2 is an excellent platform to build an M2 hot hatch (I'd just personally prefer a 5 door version ala Golf R, Ford Focus RS etc).

I am not sure an M2 GC would work with the current wheel base as the backseat will likely have very low headroom unless a hot hatch design was utilized.

Last edited by heavystarch; 06-22-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 04:45 AM   #55
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Ok, please I'm begging you all, can SOMEONE explain the thinking behind GC? Is there any advantage to do this and place it alongside the sedans? I personally think it (may) confuse buyers. 3 vs 4 vs 4GC. Do not even get me started on the glorified turd that is the GT versions...
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #56
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Ok, please I'm begging you all, can SOMEONE explain the thinking behind GC? Is there any advantage to do this and place it alongside the sedans? I personally think it (may) confuse buyers. 3 vs 4 vs 4GC. Do not even get me started on the glorified turd that is the GT versions...
Yes:

1) Looks better, the 4 series GC is one of the best looking BMWs

2) Better and easier access to rear seats while still looking sleek and low-slung, not as good as a sedan, and rear seating and comfort no where near a touring or GT (ugh) but different.

3) Is there anyone on earth standing in front of their open garage, morning coffee spilled before them, raising their fists to their sky in helpless rage because they meant to buy a 4 series GC but bought a 3 series touring in 'confusion'?

There are plenty of inexplicable choices, like the incredible stupidity of programmable M-buttons (like going to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and ordering a build your own topping pizza) but different looking cars that also have different names, and different prices is not one of them.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #57
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Yes:

2) Better and easier access to rear seats while still looking sleek and low-slung, not as good as a sedan, and rear seating and comfort no where near a touring or GT (ugh) but different.

3) Is there anyone on earth standing in front of their open garage, morning coffee spilled before them, raising their fists to their sky in helpless rage because they meant to buy a 4 series GC but bought a 3 series touring in 'confusion'?

There are plenty of inexplicable choices, like the incredible stupidity of programmable M-buttons (like going to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and ordering a build your own topping pizza) but different looking cars that also have different names, and different prices is not one of them.
Ok. Seems legit. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #58
TankerJoe
My other car is a... M1A2SEPv2 Abrams Tank
United_States
Rep
Drives: One Blue BMW

The M2L (long) rendering looks really sharp. If it were to be offered, I'd take it.
Having just returned from China where nearly every 3/5/7 series I spied were long models, I now completely understand why the demand for the additional few inches in the wheelbase length.

BMW Car Club of America member #491133
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #59
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Yes:

What I don't understand is that they will build a 6 series Gran Coupe, and a M6 Gran coupe, and a 4 series Gran Coupe (but no M4 Gran Coupe, Hmm wonder why?), X4, and soon an X2, yet they will not make a 2 series Gran Coupe or M2 Gran Coupe, until the next 2 series. Mind you, BMW in their infinite German wisdom with their naming system, makes a sedan version of a coupe version of a sedan, and uses even numbers for that, yet odd numbers for the original sedsn version.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #60
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The main reason was to make the current car better proportioned. Also, the idea was to add legroom for the rear seats and to make the wheelbase the same as the e46. Only shortening the current M2 front doors and adding rear doors wouldn't have made it look better...
Also if you read scott26's posts on the proposed 2gc in 2019, they are targeting a 2750mm wheelbase. He mentions it on about page 5 of the gc thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #61
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Also if you read scott26's posts on the proposed 2gc in 2019, they are targeting a 2750mm wheelbase. He mentions it on about page 5 of the gc thread.
The problem is if the GC is derived from the FWD new generation 1 series, its proportion will be pretty akward with a long front overhang... Nothing good to come from there.

If they come to their senses and base the platform on the CLAR 2018 3 series, then the 1 gran coupe could be a good car.
      01-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #62
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_matt View Post
Amazing comp! The real issue is the power/weight ratio. M2 GC would add a coupe 100 pounds and at 370hp it's not going to be as agile. A 440 GC would give it strong competition.

That's like saying the M4 is agile but the M3 sedan is not, because it has 2 more doors.

In truth, they have been equal in performance since back to the E36 M3 and E36 M3/4 days ..
Appreciate 0