BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake replacement

05-10-2023, 06:18 AM   #1
joejpa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Brake replacement

Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement brakes and rotors for a 2017 M2? I mostly use it on the street, but I hit the track/autocross a few times a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:59 AM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-f80-m3-f82-m4
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Stock rotors and callipers are pretty capable, there's lots of recommendations on track pad options. You can go pretty far with simple pad swaps. You will end up with the caliper paint changing colour on you but if you're doing 25-30 minute sessions usually, even with the occasional 40-50 mins then just swapping pads may still work for you.

I don't think there is a huge advantage to swapping to GiroDisc or other rotor options to get replaceable friction rings. You will spend a lot more money on the original friction ring + hat combination and the friction rings are pretty expensive. Admittedly, I don't have real comparative data about life span of the friction ring vs cost.

If I was feeling limited by brakes I would go straight for proper race spec stuff like the AP/Essex or Alcon, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 05:39 AM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejpa View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for replacement brakes and rotors for a 2017 M2? I mostly use it on the street, but I hit the track/autocross a few times a year.
Don’t waste your money on these upgraded
brake kits if you’re only do non-competitive track a handful of days. Grab the OE replacement rotors from FCP Euro and whatever street/track pads they have. Free replacements on all of their stuff when you wear it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Thanks for suggesting our products gents. Here are all the brake upgrade options we offer for a 2017 M2:

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...W/M2/F87%20All

Joejpa,
Feel free to shoot me a PM for a tailored consultation. What you need depends on how exactly and where you'll be using your car, and we have numerous options from which to choose. Things like the tracks being run, tire choice, horsepower, etc. all matter. We have lots of experience servicing other M2 owners and I'm happy to provide some input on a best fit to meet your specific needs. Thank you for your consideration!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 07:45 AM   #6
joejpa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Thanks, this was helpful
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 12:15 PM   #7
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

If the OEM braking setup has been up to the task so far and you feel like that should continue with your future usage then what PackPride85 suggested is a pretty good way to go. If you are already seeing signs of fade - or plan on adding grip, power, etc. and feel like the brakes need to be upgraded then upgrading rotors and pads are an option as well as a BBK like the Essex/AP kit. What jritt@essex mentioned about track characteristics, tires, power, etc is spot on - we can all give you general advice about what we have seen work but all our situations are different - what works for one person on a certain track might not be enough for you or vice-versa. For some the oem setup is fine while others find it lacking - so many variables that you really need to look at your own situation and past results to get an idea of what might be needed moving forward.

If you do upgrade then on upgraded rotors/pads vs a good BBK - I will say for the money I would go straight to the BBK. Bias aside (as I am a dealer for Essex and run their kits on all our cars) I do think the long term benefit and running costs work in favor of the AP kit (especially with the 25mm pads).
Appreciate 0