BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Clunk from real diff?

09-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Clunk from real diff?

I had a great drive this afternoon, but I noticed a clunking noise when down shifting towards the end of my 2hr drive. (6 spd Manual) Seems like it comes from the rear diff. And it occurs when I lift off of the clutch after a down shift with some engine braking. I searched the internet and I came across people who reported the same "thing", but no solid tech answer as to why it occurs. Is it a symptom of a mechanical problem? Definitely has me concerned
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #2
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
I had a great drive this afternoon, but I noticed a clunking noise when down shifting towards the end of my 2hr drive. (6 spd Manual) Seems like it comes from the rear diff. And it occurs when I lift off of the clutch after a down shift with some engine braking. I searched the internet and I came across people who reported the same "thing", but no solid tech answer as to why it occurs. Is it a symptom of a mechanical problem? Definitely has me concerned
Why not take it to the dealer? the car should be under warranty still, no?
      09-07-2020, 11:58 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

It's probably the electronic locking diff, doing it's thing; it can emit noises..

If an idiot light didn't come on, then it's probably just fine and the nature of the beast..
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      09-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #4
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Quote:
Why not take it to the dealer? the car should be under warranty still, no?
Yes. I have 194 miles. Just picked it up. The info I'm gathering is that it's normal but I am looking for some empirical data
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's probably the electronic locking diff, doing it's thing; it can be emit noises..

If an idiot light didn't come on, then it's probably just fine and the nature of the beast..
Poochie - I was hoping you would take the case! My concern is that it feels like slack in the drive train. Not sure that's a good thing. I did find this however in the owners manual, what BMW refers to as clicking, is more of a clunk that I feel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
m7ammed210.00
      09-08-2020, 01:33 AM   #6
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
M2 or M2C?

There were a few M2s early on that had a problem with the diff bracket bolt. Sorry, can't find a link.

My M2 would sometimes have a clunk when pulling out. I think it was slop before the diff engagement?

Here's a thread of various complaints.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1344418

Or like Poochie said could be the locking diff.

There was also a stop sale but those cars should have been fixed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47013-9999.pdf
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      09-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Omasou - thank you for the feedback

M2C, just picked it up last week only a few hundred miles on the clock. Drove to the train this morning in efficient and all was quiet, 3rd to 2nd downshifts, even with engine braking caused no clunk. After work I will experiment with sport and Sport Plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Are you sure its not a rock stuck in the calipers making a noise, i had similar issue in my old M3
      09-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

This is normal from my experience and 13,000 miles in the M2C. Good to see BMW accepting more NVH for performance!
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      09-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Are you sure its not a rock stuck in the calipers making a noise, i had similar issue in my old M3
I had both sounds on the M2 not M2C (knock on wood) the soda can crunch noise is very distinct.

Not sure about OP but the best way to describe my sound was...imagine a circle with a notch cut out of the interior...then imagine a rod keyed to fit the inner circle and notch...when you turn the rod the outer circle spins. In my case it sounded like the key had space around it and when I pulled out the rod rotated, slapped the inside of the notch making a clunk sound and then was quiet. This mostly happened from a dead stop but also sometimes when I lifted and reapplied the gas. Hope that makes sense. Might be the diff locking/unlocking but sound was intermittent.

Some talked about a bad diff bracket bolt, which for some reason there is only one, see Real OEM. I could imagine a similar sound would happen, if that bracket is not tight to the body. I think it. is part #2 or #7 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1838
Attached Images

Last edited by omasou; 09-08-2020 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's probably the electronic locking diff, doing it's thing; it can be emit noises..

Poochie - I was hoping you would take the case! My concern is that it feels like slack in the drive train. Not sure that's a good thing. I did find this however in the owners manual, what BMW refers to as clicking, is more of a clunk that I feel.
Thanx, it's nice to be appreciated

As I mention, the M LSDs, the crown-jewel of the model, tends to be noisy. That combined with the lack of sound insulation, gives the driver a more "raw" aural feedback.

Check out the video below, one of favorite automotive reviewers mention this at 6:10, as a point of contention:

Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 01:31 PM   #12
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

My 2018 never clunks while driving. Only time I've heard it was occasionally shifting into first after having reversed into my parking spot. Previous RWD 6MT have made similar noises so I didn't really think anything of it
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As I mention, the M LSDs, the crown-jewel of the model, tends to be noisy. That combined with the lack of sound insulation, gives the driver a more "raw" aural feedback.

Check out the video below, one of favorite automotive reviewers mention this at 6:10, as a point of contention:

I aprecicate the video, however that driver speaks of a whine... My noise is a distinct clunk... 50 Mph, strong breaking to enter a sharp right hander, downshift from 3rd to second, rev match, (thank you very much BMW) torque transfers to the rear diff. engine breaking starts to occur, then it happens: a distinct clunk sound coming from what seems to be the rear diff. like there was slack in the drive train that got taken up, and then the revs climb as I power out of the corner. No other noises. Car behaves perfectly. My dealer, who I have a great relationship with says its normal...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I had both sounds on the M2 not M2C (knock on wood) the soda can crunch noise is very distinct.

Not sure about OP but the best way to describe my sound was...imagine a circle with a notch cut out of the interior...then imagine a rod keyed to fit the inner circle and notch...when you turn the rod the outer circle spins. In my case it sounded like the key had space around it and when I pulled out the rod rotated, slapped the inside of the notch making a clunk sound and then was quite. This mostly happened from a dead stop but also sometimes when I lifted and reapplied the gas. Hope that makes sense. Might be the diff locking/unlocking but sound was intermittent.

Some talked about a bad diff bracket bolt, which for some reason there is only one, see Real OEM. I could imagine a similar sound would happen, if that bracket is not tight to the body. I think it. is part #2 or #7 https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=33_1838
I like your complicated, but acurate analogy! Thats exactly what I envisioned. I am coming to the conclusion that its the plates in the dif smaking together when accepting torque loads
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      09-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I aprecicate the video, however that driver speaks of a whine... My noise is a distinct clunk... 50 Mph, strong breaking to enter a sharp right hander, downshift from 3rd to second, rev match, (thank you very much BMW) torque transfers to the rear diff. engine breaking starts to occur, then it happens: a distinct clunk sound coming from what seems to be the rear diff. like there was slack in the drive train that got taken up, and then the revs climb as I power out of the corner. No other noises. Car behaves perfectly. My dealer, who I have a great relationship with says its normal...
I know yours is more of a knocking sound, just making it known that complains about various noises, in the diff area, are common and normal..

The diff is electronic, with a real-time temperature sensor, so if something would to go a-wire, the malfunction light would definitely illuminate.

However, its good that you got it documented with a dealer, should something does go bad in the future, which I doubt it will..

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Hi i think i might have the same problem. I have post it on youtube….

https://youtube.com/shorts/rd0PP7EQ9hc?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:23 AM   #17
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Thank goodness it’s not the front diff!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:42 AM   #18
ioftendrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Pure LBB

I had a great drive this afternoon, but I noticed a clunking noise when down shifting towards the end of my 2hr drive. (6 spd Manual) Seems like it comes from the rear diff. And it occurs when I lift off of the clutch after a down shift with some engine braking.

M car drivetrains are designed to be strong and stiff and the diff and gearbox has more backlash (slack in the gears) than a conventional drivetrain. Hence its a bit noisier and clunkier than a "normal" car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #19
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

I get a clunk ocassionally, usually when on/off/on the throttle when pulling a hill or going around a sharp curve.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #20
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Some clunks are normal since there is way less bushing insulation between it and the chassis. You will hear some of the noise due to backlash tolerances.

Many people's sensitivity can account for some variation, so it's difficult to separate that from normal and not.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #21
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Sounds similar? Scanned it at the dealer with ISTA (3 times visit for the past 6 months) there appear to have no fault code related to the gearbox.

The only fault code is caused by my downpipes. And i am stock with no tune whatsoever.

Also posted a thread about this,

1 guy is like "get it checked asap it doesnt sound good"

1 guys is like "drivetrain sounds are normal, shouldnt worry too much"

Link to the thread
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27908734
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 10:44 PM   #22
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

Not sure about OP but the best way to describe my sound was...imagine a circle with a notch cut out of the interior...then imagine a rod keyed to fit the inner circle and notch...when you turn the rod the outer circle spins. In my case it sounded like the key had space around it and when I pulled out the rod rotated, slapped the inside of the notch making a clunk sound and then was quiet. This mostly happened from a dead stop but also sometimes when I lifted and reapplied the gas. Hope that makes sense. Might be the diff locking/unlocking but sound was intermittent.

Super old thread I’m bumping but I wonder if this is what I’m hearing? Your description / image describes what I hear.

Sadly all previous videos are no longer working so I can’t compare. Here’s mine:

https://youtube.com/shorts/S3Dby5dJs...h2KmXFa2-RI1km

I’ve had my car for almost 4 years and > 30k miles and this only began happening yesterday after I took it into the dealer for a rear tire change and alignment.

I don’t remember it happening before but at the same time I’m not sure how a tire change could have triggered it especially if it really is related to rear diff….

I’m supposed to leave on a ~5000 mile road trip across the country next Friday 5/3 and ideally this will have stopped by then…

As you can see in the video it’s a bit of a small but audible clank that happens under initial load / brisk acceleration. Of course most frequently occurs from a stand-still but as shown in the video it can happen when you’re already moving and you apply sudden load / acceleration.
Appreciate 0