BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > ****anyone have similar issue ****

02-05-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Jp08401
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435ix

****anyone have similar issue ****

Looking for advice, any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Having issues with my 435ix, N55, automatic, 55k miles (warranty expired) specifically at random Im get multiple malfunction warnings pop up on idrive screen (in video attached). Occurs approximately 70% of the time I drive the car. Also getting codes:
- Valvetronic: 133E10 Adjustment fault to. frequent(lift)
-EWG: 123432 Learning limit stop (closed), 123401 Cold start malfunction, 123408 Charging pressure control deactivated.

Took car to BMW and dealership said needs new EWG Actuator, Valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft. They do not know what the underlying issue is that caused this. I've researched at length and found it could be a list of things. My concern is if I spend $$$$ to get all these parts replaced but no guaranty it solves the malfunction warnings that pop up donging away repeatedly. My gut tells me there's a electrical issue, or a signal issue which may not be resolved with new parts. Is it possible the parts that BMW want to replace aren't faulty just not functional due to electrical problems? Has anyone had a similar problem, or can shed some light on these issues
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #2
Mr_M//
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp08401 View Post
Looking for advice, any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Having issues with my 435ix, N55, automatic, 55k miles (warranty expired) specifically at random Im get multiple malfunction warnings pop up on idrive screen (in video attached). Occurs approximately 70% of the time I drive the car. Also getting codes:
-EWG: 123432 Learning limit stop (closed), 123401 Cold start malfunction, 123408 Charging pressure control deactivated.

Took car to BMW and dealership said needs new EWG Actuator, Valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft. They do not know what the underlying issue is that caused this. I've researched at length and found it could be a list of things. My concern is if I spend $$$$ to get all these parts replaced but no guaranty it solves the malfunction warnings that pop up donging away repeatedly. My gut tells me there's a electrical issue, or a signal issue which may not be resolved with new parts. Is it possible the parts that BMW want to replace aren't faulty just not functional due to electrical problems? Has anyone had a similar problem, or can shed some light on these issues
Hello how are you I知 running in kinda the same Situation, can I ask you how did you fix this problem and what was the issue?

I would greatly appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Are both of you posting the right sub-forum?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp08401 View Post

Valvetronic issues are common on the n55 unfortunately, I had my valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft replaced under warranty for the noise that precedes errors that will eventually trigger the codes. Generally they do the valvetronic motor first and eccentric shaft second, but that depends on the severity of the issue and whether or not the motor alone will fix the issue.

I personally have never heard of an EWG actuator go bad, but that code likely means it is indeed a waste gate actuator issue.
      04-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Valvetronic issues are common on the n55 unfortunately, I had my valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft replaced under warranty for the noise that precedes errors that will eventually trigger the codes. Generally they do the valvetronic motor first and eccentric shaft second, but that depends on the severity of the issue and whether or not the motor alone will fix the issue.

I personally have never heard of an EWG actuator go bad, but that code likely means it is indeed a waste gate actuator issue.
How big of a job is this? Curious why you don稚 read more about this issue in other common maintenance/reliability discussions?

I知 mindful or water pumps and OFHG and weeping oil pans but this one I知 less familiar with.

NM. Found your prior post on this matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
This happened to me on day one where I heard the valvetronic tick (caused by either the needle bearings binding up or the valvetronic motor failing), I immediately recognized the symptoms and just kept them in the back of my mind until the last year of warranty when I took it in for service. I had a new valvetronic motor + eccentric shaft, and valve cover gasket, decoupling elements etc replaced. So I am glad I got that done under warranty because that would have been expensive.

In the rare instance this happens, it happens early in the m2's life expectancy because of what I would assume to be break in wear - extra metal shavings in the oil potentially clogging the valvetronic motor worm gear oil squirter causing that to wear, or metallic debris from break in possibly making the needle bearings wear out. But the warning signs are the tick, and most people ignore that early on so the issue gets worse as the mileage racks up until it fails out of warranty. Of course this can happen on higher mileage cars as well but it is normally just attributed to high mileage wear.

So it does suck that this happens but most of the time I have only seen people repair it once and it is good for the rest of the cars life.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
How big of a job is this? Curious why you don稚 read more about this issue in other common maintenance/reliability discussions?

I知 mindful or water pumps and OFHG and weeping oil pans but this one I知 less familiar with.

NM. Found your prior post on this matter:
Both by themselves are quite involved jobs (new valve cover gasket, injector removal etc), but if you have to do the eccentric shaft then the job becomes quite large.
      04-29-2022, 11:30 PM   #7
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

My servotronic (same as valvetronic?) failed at about 24,000 miles while on holiday.

I had five days before gone stage 2+ MHD. Coincidence or not we'll never know.
Garage said it had evidence of physical internal electric shorting.
Appreciate 0