BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AP Radi-CAL Pro5000r / Essex Parts review

10-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

These days we have companies all the time wanting us to spend our valuable time writing them up a 5 star review after we order some basic £5 product from them online. I get why they are asking for the review, but for the great majority of the time I just have no interest in doing this for them. I simply have better things to do with my time. However, this is not the case with regards to Essex Parts and Jeff Ritter who works in their High Performance Division.

Prior to picking up my 2019 M2 Competition in March I knew I would be tracking the car – that was the point of buying it – and I had read many threads on Bimmerpost on what brake set up people were using. I soon came to the conclusion that I did not want to just add stainless steel lines, better pads and brake fluid. I wanted real stopping power, a solution that would let me rag my car round the track for as long as I wanted without having to worry about brake fade.

After watching some of Essex Parts' videos on YouTube with Jeff talking through their AP Pro 5000r brake kit; its benefits in terms of reduced weight over stock brakes; ease of ability to swap pads yourself, which is important for someone like me who is in no way mechanically minded; longevity of discs, lack of brake fade, etc, I contacted Jeff and I couldn't have hoped to have found someone more patient, informative and knowledgeable throughout the whole research, purchasing and aftercare process. No question was too much for him to answer and, trust me, I asked him plenty, many of which were probably quite dumb. Jeff is a petrolhead who is passionate about the AP products Essex sells and it's clear he takes great pride in his work. I'm not one for blowing smoke up people's arses, but I will make an exception in this case.

Anyway, to the brakes. I have done 5 track days this year – 4 in the UK and a very recent trip to Spa, which was sunny and 22 degrees (What. A. Track!!!). All I can say is WOW! These brakes combined with Ferodo pads (DS2500 for street and now DSUNO on track after switching from DS1.11s) are sublime. The stopping power is immense and I haven't seen any brake fade whatsoever from the front or rear kits. They just give me so much confidence to brake late and still be able to hit the apexes and everyone who has been a passenger in my car on track has commented on how damn good they are. Switching pads over myself is also a piece of cake and I see that as being a huge plus for this system.

Just for the record, I am not being paid to give this review. I simply like to give credit where credit is due and if you are seeking to buy some APs for your car then you would be wise to get in contact with Jeff to see for yourself. I just can't wait for many more track days in 2020 and beyond

Peace out,

Karl
Attached Images

Bee Pee1737.50
Kankles1484.50
      10-15-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Karl,

Great review and thanks for taking time to post.

Is yr M2C yr DD ? If so, how are the AP's holding up in our sh1tty weather or did you opt for road biased set up, if one exists ??

I assume you went to Spa with JB in his GT3 ?

Cheers,

BP
      10-15-2019, 03:00 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Karl,

Is yr M2C yr DD ? If so, how are the AP's holding up in our sh1tty weather or did you opt for road biased set up, if one exists ??

Cheers,

BP
Hi BP,

Thanks. I have been meaning to review the brakes and Essex Parts for a while.

Yup, went with Jason and one other.

What do you mean by DD?
      10-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Quote:
Karl,

Cheers,

BP
Hi BP,

What do you mean by DD?
DD = daily driver
      10-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Karl,

Cheers,

BP
Hi BP,

What do you mean by DD?
DD = daily driver
Ah yes, blonde moment there 😁 No, it's not my daily. Brakes holding up well on road and doesn't seem to be any rusting so far around the calipers. I was always going to go for the race spec kit as opposed to a road friendly version. Can always get them refurbished in time
      10-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah yes, blonde moment there 😁 No, it's not my daily. Brakes holding up well on road and doesn't seem to be any rusting so far around the calipers. I was always going to go for the race spec kit as opposed to a road friendly version. Can always get them refurbished in time
How much were you out of pocket inc. import fees etc? (PM me if you want to keep it private).

Did you keep the OEM dust shields? what has your dealer said?

Also nice carbon roof, kinda wish I did it!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
These days we have companies all the time wanting us to spend our valuable time writing them up a 5 star review after we order some basic £5 product from them online. I get why they are asking for the review, but for the great majority of the time I just have no interest in doing this for them. I simply have better things to do with my time. However, this is not the case with regards to Essex Parts and Jeff Ritter who works in their High Performance Division.

Prior to picking up my 2019 M2 Competition in March I knew I would be tracking the car – that was the point of buying it – and I had read many threads on Bimmerpost on what brake set up people were using. I soon came to the conclusion that I did not want to just add stainless steel lines, better pads and brake fluid. I wanted real stopping power, a solution that would let me rag my car round the track for as long as I wanted without having to worry about brake fade.

After watching some of Essex Parts' videos on YouTube with Jeff talking through their AP Pro 5000r brake kit; its benefits in terms of reduced weight over stock brakes; ease of ability to swap pads yourself, which is important for someone like me who is in no way mechanically minded; longevity of discs, lack of brake fade, etc, I contacted Jeff and I couldn't have hoped to have found someone more patient, informative and knowledgeable throughout the whole research, purchasing and aftercare process. No question was too much for him to answer and, trust me, I asked him plenty, many of which were probably quite dumb. Jeff is a petrolhead who is passionate about the AP products Essex sells and it's clear he takes great pride in his work. I'm not one for blowing smoke up people's arses, but I will make an exception in this case.

Anyway, to the brakes. I have done 5 track days this year – 4 in the UK and a very recent trip to Spa, which was sunny and 22 degrees (What. A. Track!!!). All I can say is WOW! These brakes combined with Ferodo pads (DS2500 for street and now DSUNO on track after switching from DS1.11s) are sublime. The stopping power is immense and I haven't seen any brake fade whatsoever from the front or rear kits. They just give me so much confidence to brake late and still be able to hit the apexes and everyone who has been a passenger in my car on track has commented on how damn good they are. Switching pads over myself is also a piece of cake and I see that as being a huge plus for this system.

Just for the record, I am not being paid to give this review. I simply like to give credit where credit is due and if you are seeking to buy some APs for your car then you would be wise to get in contact with Jeff to see for yourself. I just can't wait for many more track days in 2020 and beyond

Peace out,

Karl
Good review, that kit cannot be beat. The unsprung weight saving alone is worth it. Amazing technology here. Truly race bred stuff unlike a lot of other companies touting race products.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Thanks for the review

I don't think you could have picked a better brake kit

Are you running the 9660 or the 9668 calipers in front?

I'm curious if the M763 wheel will clear the wider 9668 caliper without a spacer
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Thanks for the review

I don't think you could have picked a better brake kit

Are you running the 9660 or the 9668 calipers in front?

I'm curious if the M763 wheel will clear the wider 9668 caliper without a spacer
Thanks. I couldn't imagine using any other brake kit from now on.

I went for the 9660 kit that takes the 18mm pads. I wasn't entirely sure if the 9668 callipers that took 25mm pads would allow for 18" wheels and this is an option I want to explore at some point. If the 9668s can in fact be used with 18" wheels then on hindsight I would have just bought them. It looks like the 763s will clear the wider callipers, but check first.
      10-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Good review, that kit cannot be beat. The unsprung weight saving alone is worth it. Amazing technology here. Truly race bred stuff unlike a lot of other companies touting race products.
Indeed. I was shocked at just how much lighter the APs were compared to stock callipers when I held one in each hand. Proper bit of kit.
      10-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Hey, thanks for the review and the feedback! Just curious, what kind of lap times were you running at Spa?
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Hey, thanks for the review and the feedback! Just curious, what kind of lap times were you running at Spa?
Hey, you're welcome.

My iLapTimer app wasn't working unfortunately. I had to watch my GoPro footage and use the stopwatch on my phone and a track marker to time instead. The only lap I have managed to time so far was 2'59.5 and that was with a passenger so I'm happy with that for my first time there. One experienced Spa track day driver in the same garage as us who drove a Cayman R did a best lap of 2'57.3, so I wasn't too far off.

I'm going to download Harry's lap timer for future track days.
      10-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #13
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice work! I was there in April in my OG M2 and did 3:02.1. Given that it was 2 degree C that day I’m also ok with that.

I want to go back, I’m sure I can get under 3 min in warmer weather, but next year the goal is to try to get into 7:5x on the Nordschleife.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #14
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Nice work! I was there in April in my OG M2 and did 3:02.1. Given that it was 2 degree C that day I’m also ok with that.

I want to go back, I’m sure I can get under 3 min in warmer weather, but next year the goal is to try to get into 7:5x on the Nordschleife.
Yeah, I'm sure you can crack 3 minutes in warmer weather 👍🏻 As for the Nurburgring there is no chance I'd ever drive on that track again. Too much risk involved and too many people chasing times and making mistakes. I don't want to get caught up in that and crash my car.
      10-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure you can crack 3 minutes in warmer weather 👍🏻 As for the Nurburgring there is no chance I'd ever drive on that track again. Too much risk involved and too many people chasing times and making mistakes. I don't want to get caught up in that and crash my car.
I hear you, this is why I don't do Turistenfahren. I sign up for the far more expensive but also way safer track days. No bikes, no SUVs, similar cars and drivers with track experience. But still chasing lap times, so there are always crashes. But yeah, scary yet thrilling track for sure.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      10-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Hands down best brake kit. 9668 will work with 18s. Had them on my M4.
      10-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #17
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I wish I knew that when I bought mine. I'm too impatient, that's my trouble.
      10-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #18
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Was even pad wear or knock back an issue on track when the pads were worn down to the last few usable mm?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #19
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Quote:
Was even pad wear or knock back an issue on track when the pads were worn down to the last few usable mm?
Oh it's plenty noisy from the combination of floating rotors and no backing plates on the pads. If performance is what you're after then this is of no concern for you.
      10-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #20
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
They are fitted with Anti-knockback springs

https://www.apracing.com/product_det...thick_pad.aspx
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      10-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Thanks for the kind words and great review Karl. We really appreciate the feedback, and we're glad you're enjoying your brakes so much!

In terms of pad knockback, as noted the AP Racing Pro5000R Radi-CAL has anti-knockback springs installed behind the pistons. From our website:

Anti-knockback Springs

Not only are the pistons stainless steel, they are also fitted with anti-knockback springs. Springs in pistons you ask? Yes, springs. If you’ve ever gone through a series of S turns and then had your pedal drop when going into the following brake zone, you have experienced knockback. To say it is disconcerting is an understatement. You’ll often see pro drivers ‘pre-tap’ their brakes lightly when approaching a brake zone. They are fighting knockback.

Knockback is a phenomenon that is common with fixed calipers. Knockback occurs when your car’s wheel, hub, and bearings deflect during cornering, allowing your brake disc to move out of sync with your caliper and brake pads. The amount of knockback varies by vehicle, and depends on the amount of deflection seen in the parts listed above. As the brake disc deflects, it actually pushes the pads away from each other, forcing the caliper pistons back into their bores. The piston seals don’t have enough tension in them to completely return the pistons to their original location. That means there is slack in the system that needs to be taken up. When you press the brake pedal, it will continue to drop until that slack is taken up.

Anti-knockback springs help alleviate this situation by putting some tension on the back side of the pistons. When the disc deflects and makes contact with the pistons, the springs push the pistons back into their proper location, reducing slack in the system. That means less pedal drop and far fewer pucker-factor moments when going into heavy brake zones.

There are no major downsides to lightweight AKB spring as long as the caliper is designed to accommodate them. More specifically, AKB springs do not create any increased drag or wear on the pads and discs as long as the shape and material of the piston seals takes them into account.

As you're driving the suspension is constantly compressing, the disc is moving around laterally, and the pads are being pushed slightly away from the disc. Think of the seals in the caliper as a spring or hinge attached to the side of the piston, rather than just a ring through which the piston slides. In an AP Racing competition caliper, the groove in which the seal resides isn't a square cut groove.It has angles. When the pistons slide in or out there is friction between the outer piston wall and the seal, and the seal distorts a bit as shown in the illustration below.
A caliper piston sliding out to the left would distort the seal in this manner (the slashes are the seals on either side of the piston):

/
---
---
\

As the piston slides back in to the right, the seal does this:
\
---
---
/

There is a certain amount of tension or friction that needs to be overcome before the piston actually starts moving through the seal ring. That tension/friction keeps the piston from dragging on the disc once the pistons are pushed back into the bores by the disc/suspension movement.

When AKB springs are added, a little more force is required to push the pistons back into their bores than would be required without them. After the spring is compressed, it unloads and pushes the piston back to 'neutral.'

With the proper seal and spring the goal is to keep the piston in the 'neutral' position, not pressed against the disc. The piston is still able to slide freely in either direction, but a bit of friction or tension needs to be overcome initially to get it moving in either direction. The seal offers that first bit of friction to limit movement, and then the spring provides additional resistance. The end result is that the properly designed AP Racing calipers won't drag or create additional or unnecessary wear.

In terms of noise or rattling, the discs are silent. They include small spring clips on every other hardware stack, which eliminates all rattling noises. Again from our site:

Mounting Hardware and Anti-Knockback Spring Clips

If you look closely at the mounting hardware we use in our Competition Kits, you’ll notice a few details that are often overlooked in lesser products. These components are specially made for their intended purpose. These are not cheap bolts found at your local big box store. They are custom made in the USA for Essex and AP Racing, and they are the exact same components we use on professional racing products.

As discussed above with regards to the piston springs, knockback can be a serious issue when tracking a car. In order to help control the lateral motion of the disc, which pushes the pistons back into the caliper, we use an anti-knockback spring clip on every other disc attachment point (on a ten bolt disc there are five spring clips, while on a twelve bolt disc there are six). These spring clips help keep the disc hat and iron ring in alignment, while still allowing the disc to expand and float radially. As an added bonus, they prevent the hat and iron disc from rattling and making noise.

With the standard bridge installed the CP9660 and 9668 calipers do allow some pad movement and rattle. We have a solution for that as well, which is our optional pad tension kit. These place a little downward pressure on the top of the pad and eliminate any pad rattling noise.

In summary, with the pad tension kit installed and a mild pad compound (to combat squealing), our AP Racing Competition Kits don't make any unpleasant noises, rattles, etc. You essentially wouldn't notice any difference in 'livability' vs. stock.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...p9660-calipers

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #22
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post

With the standard bridge installed the CP9660 and 9668 calipers do allow some pad movement and rattle. We have a solution for that as well, which is our optional pad tension kit. These place a little downward pressure on the top of the pad and eliminate any pad rattling noise.

In summary, with the pad tension kit installed and a mild pad compound (to combat squealing), our AP Racing Competition Kits don't make any unpleasant noises, rattles, etc. You essentially wouldn't notice any difference in 'livability' vs. stock.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...p9660-calipers

Just want to say you guys are great forum vendors always bringing the knowledge

1) Does the anti-rattle kit work with the quick pad change caliper (can't think of the proper name right now) and the 25mm thick pad?

2) Why SS pistons and not Ti?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0