BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

11-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #727
AM9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
The 9.1 maps are already out and they solve the problem. Great work PTF!
wow that was fast. Already downloaded, will flash car later and take for a spin and report back. Great job PTF tremendous follow up!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:33 PM   #728
AM9
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM9 View Post
wow that was fast. Already downloaded, will flash car later and take for a spin and report back. Great job PTF tremendous follow up!
Car rode very smooth! 9.1 FTW
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #729
kyoshi
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Greetings from the UK..

My M2C went into the dealers a couple of weeks ago for a service. They updated the DME which put me on this dreaded March 19 or possibly even later update!

I Decided to go with BM3, which resulted in me needing to visit a local tuner who bench / direct unlocked the ECU. This enabled them to take a read of the Stock file and take a backup.

Then once all sorted I could connect to the ECU using my BM3 and agent via ODB. Worth noting i was provided with a different Windows Agent in order to do this from PTS

At this point with everything looking OK - i was given the all clear by PTS to try and flash the OTS Stage 1 93 map. This ran OK and stated it had completed successfully except for a message drive train fault and some sort of fuel fault message. BM3 software stated i needed to run an Online Recode.
When running the Online Recode this failed. Causing my car to be incapacitated. PTS and the tuner were great in supporting me and we managed to work on this through out the early hours of the morning - however still no joy. Tried all sorts, clear and reset DME, Re-Reading DME, Battery disconnected and connected charged up and sat on a charger, seat belts connected and strong WIFI and internet connection and praying! Still no joy!
This was then escalated to Halim who was going to contact me and continue helping to get me back up and running - however i did not hear from them. Tried messaging through the support portal - nothing

So earlier this afternoon - I thought sod it lets just try again and see what happens after the car had sat for a few hours. So hooked the laptop back up and connected via ODB - Agent working and everything connected.. I then simply clicked flash my stock map and lock DME. And somehow this time managed to communicate OK and got passed the 1% i was initially seeing which had an error thrown up everytime in the agent screen "Error - failed flashing due to Failed to Init Data Write".

This time however it reached 100% which was the longest 3 minutes ever lol.. and completed successfully with no further errors on the dash all cleared and no message to run an online recode.. I then powered off the ignition for 30 seconds, powered on and the car started..
I checked all fault codes which had now been cleared and everthing looked in good shape!

On another note - i then flashed the DCT M4 GTS was all OK with no issues - however flashed back to stock as the Gear indicator vanishes whilst in Auto..

Anyone that has had this BMW ECU update - I advise you speak to a reputal tuner to help you through this before proceeding otherwise you potentially face this difficulty which is far from ideal!
At the end of the day my tuner did what they needed to do and unlocked everything, have my file on back up and can sort this anytime as long as i can get the car to them.

Was a bit dissapointed i did not hear from Halim to follow up and thankfully me taking the initiative led to getting there in the end..

I am hoping PTS can confirm to me that I am OK at some point to flash stage 1 and safely do so - Will be making sure i do this via my tuner so at least they can assist in recovering everything should this happen again.
Also so i can finally get what i paid for lol..

At the end of the day please do not read into this post as a flame towards PTS or tuners. it is simply my experience which happens when messing about with complex electronics! Ultimately both PTS initially tried to get me up and running and thanks to the tuner for doing everything needed as a last resort to get my car flashed back to stock..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #730
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Hi I'm in the UK too.

I don't have the locked DME but I had the same flash fail as you after doing several flashes fine beforehand. I was in a car park 20 miles from home! I was using an OBD HW agent (home made one using raspeberry pi) and android app.

Anyway after lots of messing around, left the car for 2 hours, went for lunch and a pint, came back and it all worked, just. Got it home and checked it over with ISTA.

BUT after this it was showing a Tuner Detection fault code in the DME when reading with ISTA diagnostics, this would not clear. The BM3 diagnostic tool is crap and only reads generic fault codes so you wont see it with that.

Make sure you don't go near BMW until you've got that sorted. I reported this to BM3 support and they did something with the map and then instructed me to redownload and reflash. i did that then I was able to clear the tuner detect fault log.

If you dont have ISTA D look into downloading a copy as you need to make sure the car is clear of giveaway fault codes if it ever goes to BMW. Even if you flash back to stock you could still have tuner detect and other spurious faults logged. If they see tuner detection logged you've had it for any drivetrain warranty.

Good service from PTF but as it was Sat when I reported it meant Monday when I got a reply.

Now I only flash the car safe at home when I know I can manage without it for a day or two

Last edited by doughboy; 11-22-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #731
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

BM3 reads all internal codes for sure. It doesn’t have descriptions for all of them so sometimes I need to go look it up but it reads all the same stuff as ISTA for sure. I’ve used and use both regularly when troubleshooting and helping out friends.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #732
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I use both too and for sure there are faults like the tuner detect fault that was only visible in ISTA.

I assume BM3 only reads DMieE faults as that's all it seems to ever show?

Anyway, i don't trust it and as BMW dealers use ISTA i always rely on that for diagnostics.

Last edited by doughboy; 11-23-2019 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #733
MTWO
Captain
Rep

It shows all ECUs in the car because I had my rain sensor go and it showed it. It also showed when I had oem seats out for tracking which isn’t DME either. Maybe try cause that code whatever that is and send it to bm3 support to take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #734
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Yeah maybe there's an issue here, but fault code 201101 on the attached PDF is the worry after a failed flash. BTW non of these showed up on BM3...

(TCB fault is because we live in an area with no phone signal, water pump fault was damaged loom wire that i fixed after this)

Once up it wouldn't clear without a modified MAP from PTF, even when flashing back to stock.

My message to folks without ISTA is don't just think by flashing back to stock you'll be fine, always check for fault codes....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M2 faults 20-9.pdf (69.2 KB, 117 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #735
AM9
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Yeah maybe there's an issue here, but fault code 201101 on the attached PDF is the worry after a failed flash. BTW non of these showed up on BM3...

(TCB fault is because we live in an area with no phone signal, water pump fault was damaged loom wire that i fixed after this)

Once up it wouldn't clear without a modified MAP from PTF, even when flashing back to stock.

My message to folks without ISTA is don't just think by flashing back to stock you'll be fine, always check for fault codes....
may need to download this tool, thanks for the PDF
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #736
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:

I experienced the same 201101 tamper protection and data manipulation code on my M2 Comp (EU spec with OPF). It took a few lock and unlock process and flashes via ODB (my DME is still on pre march version) to solve the problem. I am using M4 CS map on my M2 Comp with OPF delete as i have removed OPF.

I do not know, wheather PTF has silently involved something in the related map or in the ODB agent or any other part of their software, or maybe the right sequence of steps or all of them resulted with proper flash, but that was my gold steps:

- Relock DME and flash back to factory software. Tamp prot error sorted out as expected.
- Delete the Stage 0+ M4 CS map from My Maps
- Pick up the Stage 0+ M4 CS map from OTS Maps again
- Configure Stage 0+ M4 CS map under My Maps
- Download the map, Flash later (!!!)
- Flash with ECU unlock

If i Download the map and flash it in one session, than it results Tamper protection error (which is very strange).

And i can read the tamp prot (and other errors) with BM3 software

I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #737
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Thanks CSL335i.

When I had the tuner / tamper detect then going back to stock and locking wouldn't allow it to be cleared. Even stock flash was saying flash fail and online recode required, and online recode worked but seems to give a tamper detect, at that time BM3 showed no faults but ISTA showed it.

That's when I contacted PTF who then said I should redownload the last map (flash later) the flash after. I thought they had tweaked something in the code to make it work, but maybe its just the sequence of operations. This cleared it, but it sounds like thats what you found out yourself...

Maybe I should stick with that method in future?

Oddly BM3 always shows a fault code about the DAB antenna being disconnected, but ISTA never shows that, but BM3 seems to miss other faults, odd.

Last edited by doughboy; 11-23-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #738
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Oddly BM3 always shows a fault code about the DAB antenna being disconnected, but ISTA never shows that, but BM3 seems to miss other faults, odd.
If the below is the fault it has nothing to do with BM3. Checked on other bone stock M2C and M3 and the code exists. I was hoping it was a smoking gun as DAB reception is so shit. The fault comes up in BimmerCode

B7F805: CONNECTION OF HEAD UNIT TO DAB L-BAND ANTENNA BASE: LINE INTERRUPTION
      11-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #739
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
If the below is the fault it has nothing to do with BM3. Checked on other bone stock M2C and M3 and the code exists. I was hoping it was a smoking gun as DAB reception is so shit. The fault comes up in BimmerCode

B7F805: CONNECTION OF HEAD UNIT TO DAB L-BAND ANTENNA BASE: LINE INTERRUPTION
Yes thats it, but it only shows in "generic" OBD code readers, bimercode and BM3, it does not show in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #740
kyoshi
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I am waiting to have mine re-looked at before doing anything else! At the end of the day i am not a tuner and do not know enough or have the right tools to fix such issues..
Will leave that to those that know lol have learnt Almost the hard way..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:00 AM   #741
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes thats it, but it only shows in "generic" OBD code readers, bimercode and BM3, it does not show in ISTA.
Bimmercode is not generic at all. Its made for bmw and only bmw. You’re mixing a few things up. ISTA shows historical codes too which are irrelevant. Bimmercode and bm3 show you currently active stuff so you can deal with it. Maybe that’s why you’re confused.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:48 AM   #742
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Bimmercode is not generic at all. Its made for bmw and only bmw. You’re mixing a few things up. ISTA shows historical codes too which are irrelevant. Bimmercode and bm3 show you currently active stuff so you can deal with it. Maybe that’s why you’re confused.
Historical data is irrelevant??

Historical fault logs are absolutely vital in diagnostics and fault finding. Any sytem that doesn't read historical data is pretty useless. Many faults are intermittent and will clear down automatically, so the historical logs are vital in tracking a sequence of events

In that case, BM3 is more useless than I thought for fault chasing. Bimmercode doesn't do any diagnostics does it? I've never found it if it does?

I'm pretty sure that only ISTA has the FULL suite of BMW codes and diagnostic info available. BM3 etc would have to pay a licence to BMW to use the full proprietary code set, and I don't think they do that - unless someone from PTF can clarify?

Thats the difference between "generic / free / SAE" fault codes and proprietary codes.

ISTA is the only way to really be sure what is going on in your car.

Last edited by doughboy; 11-27-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:18 AM   #743
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Historical data is irrelevant??

Historical fault logs are absolutely vital in diagnostics and fault finding. Any sytem that doesn't read historical data is pretty useless. Many faults are intermittent and will clear down automatically, so the historical logs are vital in tracking a sequence of events

In that case, BM3 is more useless than I thought for fault chasing. Bimmercode doesn't do any diagnostics does it? I've never found it if it does?

I'm pretty sure that only ISTA has the FULL suite of BMW codes and diagnostic info available. BM3 etc would have to pay a licence to BMW to use the full proprietary code set, and I don't think they do that - unless someone from PTF can clarify?

Thats the difference between "generic / free / SAE" fault codes and proprietary codes.

ISTA is the only way to really be sure what is going on in your car.
When I run the diagnostics with Carly it checks 13 or so ecu units. I think I'm going to compare them to ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #744
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Check what the actual code ID no's are. If they begin P or B or C or U then they are the "free" SAE OBD fault codes as used by generic systems which can be either generic or limited manufacturer codes.

If they are 5 or 6 digit hexadecimal codes then they are full proprietary BMW codes

Last edited by doughboy; 11-27-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 02:13 PM   #745
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Lay person here;

1. To eliminate the tamper code when adding the tune you must unlock the dme, download and install tune in one sitting? And if returning to stock you must do what? normal procedure of relock and stock?

2. Where does one find a copy of ISTA D, what are the requirements and is there a subscription fee? If there is a fee - are there aftermarket solutions ala "chinese" SDS units as used with merc?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #746
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Lay person here;

2. Where does one find a copy of ISTA D, what are the requirements and is there a subscription fee? If there is a fee - are there aftermarket solutions ala "chinese" SDS units as used with merc?
Google is your friend so I suggest u search as there are many threads and install guides. But technically it is "free" since you will download it via a torrent . To start find a standalone version which has the install guide included. Something like the below link should help.

http://blog.uobdii.com/bmw-ista-d-is...ow-to-install/
      12-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #747
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Agree, ISTA-D (d for diagnostics) and ISTA-P (p for programming) are free to find online.

ISTA-D may be called ISTA+ or Rheingold.

Unless you want to do vehicle programming then no need to bother with ISTA-P and that will save 100's of GB of downloading.

ISTA-D is a brilliant tool with not only full module diagnostics but test facilities and all the circuit diagrams and functional description all in one.

It's what they use at BMW so you know if the car is clear on ISTA at home then it will be clear at the dealership.

RE BM3 mapping, it should usually work just fine, but without ISTA you'll never know what codes it may have left behind.

When mine failed during a map, I got the tuner detect fault code in ISTA. But even after a reflash to stock and re-lock it still had the tuner detect code up, so without ISTA I'd not have known.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-06-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      12-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #748
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshi View Post
Greetings from the UK..

My M2C went into the dealers a couple of weeks ago for a service. They updated the DME which put me on this dreaded March 19 or possibly even later update!

I Decided to go with BM3, which resulted in me needing to visit a local tuner who bench / direct unlocked the ECU. This enabled them to take a read of the Stock file and take a backup.

Then once all sorted I could connect to the ECU using my BM3 and agent via ODB. Worth noting i was provided with a different Windows Agent in order to do this from PTS

At this point with everything looking OK - i was given the all clear by PTS to try and flash the OTS Stage 1 93 map. This ran OK and stated it had completed successfully except for a message drive train fault and some sort of fuel fault message. BM3 software stated i needed to run an Online Recode.
When running the Online Recode this failed. Causing my car to be incapacitated. PTS and the tuner were great in supporting me and we managed to work on this through out the early hours of the morning - however still no joy. Tried all sorts, clear and reset DME, Re-Reading DME, Battery disconnected and connected charged up and sat on a charger, seat belts connected and strong WIFI and internet connection and praying! Still no joy!
This was then escalated to Halim who was going to contact me and continue helping to get me back up and running - however i did not hear from them. Tried messaging through the support portal - nothing

So earlier this afternoon - I thought sod it lets just try again and see what happens after the car had sat for a few hours. So hooked the laptop back up and connected via ODB - Agent working and everything connected.. I then simply clicked flash my stock map and lock DME. And somehow this time managed to communicate OK and got passed the 1% i was initially seeing which had an error thrown up everytime in the agent screen "Error - failed flashing due to Failed to Init Data Write".

This time however it reached 100% which was the longest 3 minutes ever lol.. and completed successfully with no further errors on the dash all cleared and no message to run an online recode.. I then powered off the ignition for 30 seconds, powered on and the car started..
I checked all fault codes which had now been cleared and everthing looked in good shape!

On another note - i then flashed the DCT M4 GTS was all OK with no issues - however flashed back to stock as the Gear indicator vanishes whilst in Auto..

Anyone that has had this BMW ECU update - I advise you speak to a reputal tuner to help you through this before proceeding otherwise you potentially face this difficulty which is far from ideal!
At the end of the day my tuner did what they needed to do and unlocked everything, have my file on back up and can sort this anytime as long as i can get the car to them.

Was a bit dissapointed i did not hear from Halim to follow up and thankfully me taking the initiative led to getting there in the end..

I am hoping PTS can confirm to me that I am OK at some point to flash stage 1 and safely do so - Will be making sure i do this via my tuner so at least they can assist in recovering everything should this happen again.
Also so i can finally get what i paid for lol..

At the end of the day please do not read into this post as a flame towards PTS or tuners. it is simply my experience which happens when messing about with complex electronics! Ultimately both PTS initially tried to get me up and running and thanks to the tuner for doing everything needed as a last resort to get my car flashed back to stock..
Who did you use for the unlock? A friend has the same challenge.
Appreciate 0